• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My problem with the streaming

Doser

Smash Ace
Ok, so I think most people here who are reading this know about the issues at Genesis regarding streaming.

Streaming was initially promised to happen all three days if I recall correctly, but apparently pools were too distracting and thus no stream for Melee on Friday yet there was one for Brawl. By not streaming pools you aren't giving coverage to the players that are improving their game but don't make it to brackets, many people care about pools and it's a bit strange to only stream based on personal preference. Everyone knows pools can be a mess to organize and get going, but setting up a stream only takes one person ~15 minutes. It's just not a proper excuse

Now on Saturday, there is no stream because the person who said he was going to stream forgot his wifi adapter in the hotel room. If that's not carelessness I don't know what is, it shows me that they don't give a damn about the stream in the first place. No one could have gone back and gotten it? I find that really hard to believe.

I understand you guys who stream and record don't owe us anything. But what I don't understand is why you choose to say you are going to do something and then do an abysmal job of it. If you look at other communities, this stuff rarely happens at big name events. I know smash is smaller than most other communities, but it doesn't take a ton of people to get a stream going either.

Look at the Fighting game community, they are constantly streaming every tournament they can get to, there are people with a huge passion for giving coverage to help grow the competitive spirit, why don't we do that. Quake Live, which is a fairly small community streams CTF and Duel pickup games at times, and they always stream the big name tournaments with rarely a hiccup.

I don't see the reasoning behind not caring about streams, they strengthen the community by bringing people together during a tournament. It makes for a killer atmosphere and it overall is highly enjoyable. By not doing a proper job in broadcasting this tournament you are doing a disservice to the community. There doesn't need to be commentary, it doesn't need to be in high quality, it just needs to be functional, and all that takes is a computer hooked up to a TV.

The argument that because I'm not at the tournament, or that I didn't volunteer to stream is beyond dumb. There are people at Genesis that could have streamed, but chose not to. When you say you are going to do something, please do it, because if you don't other people that could have will not have planned to take your spot.

Streaming appears to be an afterthought for people at these large tournaments, but in reality this is how the majority of the community views the tournament. With a live stream you allow everyone with an internet connection access to this amazing event, this is an ability that shouldn't be ignored if you care at all about the future of melee.

EDIT: What's also rather funny is that I have now been banned from the IRC channel after making this post.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Yah I wasn't even surprised at the lack of stream. It seems like people think it's just a pointless extra feature. I can see why nobody wants to sponsor us.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
F8, your quote was made at 4PM~ PST and it's now 7PM PST. Way past 2 hours.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Please read the first post, your post doesn't make sense.
I read the OP and my post makes perfect sense. The quote tags were what was posted by the mods in the stream chat, genius. -_-

F8, your quote was made at 4PM~ PST and it's now 7PM PST. Way past 2 hours.
Yeahh, I was hoping they'd come through that time. :( But oh well. As long as there are vids eventually, I'm happy.

ihatejuice69

Smash Cadet
Absolutely agree with the OP.

There is no obligation to stream, and it's a kindness. But if you SAY that you're going to stream, and it's "guaranteed", then it would be nice if there was a stream. Some of us took time out of our days to watch this because we were expecting it, and ended up wasting our whole day.

It's the equivalent of being stood up, for the whole day.

Real nice.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Some of us took time out of our days to watch this because we were expecting it, and ended up wasting our whole day.

It's the equivalent of being stood up, for the whole day.

Real nice.
Word. I was considering taking off work today to watch the stream haha. Glad I didn't now. But idk, posting here isn't going to help the stream come up. I'd like to think they're doing what they can at the venue to get it working. **** happens. :/

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Agreed. You have people that have waited 2 days for a damn stream. If you're not gonna do it, just tell us so we don't sit around waiting in a chat that turns homo every 30 minutes.

Doser

Smash Ace
I read the OP and my post makes perfect sense. The quote tags were what was posted by the mods in the stream chat, genius. -_-
Here's why it doesn't make sense: You posted a message talking about streaming being put up later today. That doesn't matter at all because they didn't stream yesterday or today so far, so my post still holds weight that they aren't caring at all about the live stream.

After the quote you said "not that hard to find" as if in the original post I was begging someone to tell me when it was coming online. I'm voicing my complaints about how the Smash scene views streaming, not when can I expect this to come online.

ihatejuice69

Smash Cadet
Agreed. You have people that have waited 2 days for a damn stream. If you're not gonna do it, just tell us so we don't sit around waiting in a chat that turns homo every 30 minutes.
Agreed. Even part way through the day, if they just made an announcement or something, if definitely wouldn't be difficult.

Say, 2 hours into the day without stream?

No? How about 4 hours into the day without stream?

No? How about 6 hours into the day without stream?

/No life.

Doser

Smash Ace
I just called a friend who is at Genesis, and apparently they are still setting up for Crews which is why the stream is taking so long. Apparently 45 minutes takes multiple hours. I just don't understand how they can plan so poorly for these things.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Here's why it doesn't make sense: You posted a message talking about streaming being put up later today. That doesn't matter at all because they didn't stream yesterday or today so far, so my post still holds weight that they aren't caring at all about the live stream.

After the quote you said "not that hard to find" as if in the original post I was begging someone to tell me when it was coming online. I'm voicing my complaints about how the Smash scene views streaming, not when can I expect this to come online.
I feel you. I've been at work all day so I didn't know about all these false promises of streams throughout the day. So first thing I saw in the stream chat was that.

Anyways, how can you say they don't care about live streaming? Do you honestly think they're sitting around ignoring the fact that all of us want to watch? People mess up, dude, it happens. It sucks. Complaining on here won't fix that though, unfortunately. :(

Edit:
rkbionic
Setting up projectors still for both games. I kinda wonder what on Logics comp is causing video/audio desynch on Xsplit. Anyone else know?
50 minutes ago
rkbionic
They are adding bleechers in addition to the projector o_o
21 minutes ago

Doser

Smash Ace
Anyways, how can you say they don't care about live streaming? Do you honestly think they're sitting around ignoring the fact that all of us want to watch?
While I don't think this is in anyway a malicious action, it just shows that streaming to them is not a high priority. I think that it should be a high priority, if you look at all other successful competitive games, they have a strong streaming community to build up hype and show off the game. If streaming was a huge deal to them we would have had streams on Friday (This was not technical difficulties), and I would have imagined that they would plan ahead of time. Other communities do not have this many problems this frequently, I can't believe it's pure chance.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
i agree, but let's not attack the people who are trying to set up good livestreams for everyone to enjoy. maybe tomorrow we can:

1) set up the stream early and test it until it's watchable
2) use only one camera for simpler setup
3) have sound (even if its not commentary)

also apparently the problem may be from trying to run both streams at the same time. some creative scheduling might be called for if this is infact the problem

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
tomorrow please get the stream working with commentary! These last two days of poor streaming wont mean anything to me as long as we get to see brackets/finals tomorrow (as long as the last 2 days have been recorded;))

Vox the Fox

Smash Cadet
I mostly just want to see brackets, but I was happy that I got to watch some (laggy, not sure if that was just me or if it was the stream) crew battles...and Mang0 not sandbagging. I, too, would prefer to just see some straight up, one video streams with live commentary to go along.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
i'm just gonna say this stream has been the biggest failure I've ever seen for any major tournament

honestly, they need to get their ****ing **** together, this is ridiculous. the stream not working is one thing, the stream quality is another thing. I can honestly say I don't think i've seen worse quality on a video in my entire life, a windows 95 computer could make a smoother slideshow than the ****ing trash i wasted my time watching earlier

big disappointment, i'm glad dbr isn't getting a split of my $

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
LOL, who improves their game by watching pools? Besides, just wait till Genesis videos get posted to Youtube, it's not like they're going anywhere. Videos will be up for years after this tournament, so you'll have plenty of time to jack off to them.

Everything would have been fine if the venue's internet didn't **** up. How can you blame the people that said they'd stream, when the venue took away their means to do so?

Doser

Smash Ace
LOL, who improves their game by watching pools? Besides, just wait till Genesis videos get posted to Youtube, it's not like they're going anywhere. Videos will be up for years after this tournament, so you'll have plenty of time to jack off to them.
Thanks for not reading the post or not comprehending it, I said nothing about improving my game from watching pools. You fail to realize how streams help the community, most likely because you've never played another competitive game.

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for not reading the post or not comprehending it, I said nothing about improving my game from watching pools. You fail to realize how streams help the community, most likely because you've never played another competitive game.
Well no one cares THAT much about pools dude. It's just pools.

And I see the importance of streams, but unlike you, I prefer to thank the guys who are doing their best to try to get us no less than Top 16 Melee Singles. Plus they got us that sweet crew battle last night.

The point is, they're doing their job the best they can with their limited options, and unlike you, they actually do some good for the smash community. So leave them alone.

Doser

Smash Ace
Well no one cares THAT much about pools dude. It's just pools.

And I see the importance of streams, but unlike you, I prefer to thank the guys who are doing their best to try to get us no less than Top 16 Melee Singles. Plus they got us that sweet crew battle last night.

The point is, they're doing their job the best they can with their limited options, and unlike you, they actually do some good for the smash community. So leave them alone.
You have no proof that they are doing their best, and all evidence would lead to the idea that they do not think highly of streaming the tournament. The crew battle was a slide show at best for most of us, and pools was promised to be streamed and it wasn't. Other communities can get their act together, but smash seems to always have a reason that they can't do it. You obviously have never been in a community with proper streams, it's many times better than what we have for melee.

Also your comment regarding me not streaming myself or whatever, is addressed in my original post which I still recommend that you read.

Top Bottom