• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My real life friends don't enjoy playing with me...

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
I have been an avid smasher for about two years now, starting with the less popular Smash 64, moving to Brawl, then Melee, and now back to Brawl. Unfortunately to my friends they say I take the game way to seriously, one of there reasons for not wanting to play is that I play to win and get better. (Much like the majority of the board)

Another reason that they do like playing with me is because of my interest in advance tactics and tech.

Has anyone else had this problem? The casual smash playing friends don't want to play with the more serious smasher.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can continue to improve my game while still falling into there realm of fun. I'm also not claiming to be the best in the group by any means, or that my friends are not good either (because they are decently skilled)

1. Tell your friends "No johns".

2. There isn't that much to learn in this game, so odds are they can be just as good as you technically. You can satisfy both options really, unless you try to open your friends up to new things.

3. After you master the technical stuff, there really is no getting better, unless you play with Meta Knight. You can become a more intelligent player but it can only take you so far.

4. Odds are if they complain about losing then they really aren't decently skilled.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
1. Tell your friends "No johns".
This isn't about losing, or winning. My friends are older and don't make excuses.

2. There isn't that much to learn in this game, so odds are they can be just as good as you technically. You can satisfy both options really, unless you try to open your friends up to new things.
They have proven to be good technically. One argument used is that I treat the game like a machine, with virtually no imagination. I play to get better at my execution these things are what I find enjoyable (hitting the right keys at the right time to reach a goal).

3. After you master the technical stuff, there really is no getting better, unless you play with Meta Knight. You can become a more intelligent player but it can only take you so far.
Was this a stab at the actual game?

4. Odds are if they complain about losing then they really aren't decently skilled.
Nowhere have I stated they have complained about losing, they just don't want to play. (with me)

XACE-K

Smash Master
I've been in that situation before. Just try to balance both fun and competitive play. I play for fun (items on) with my friends because they aren't that great when I tried to make them play competitively. My cousin and his friends are more serious then my friends about it so I play competitively with them.

Just try to find competitive Smashers where you live and play serious with them.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
I've been in that situation before. Just try to balance both fun and competitive play. I play for fun (items on) with my friends because they aren't that great when I tried to make them play competitively. My cousin and his friends are more serious then my friends about it so I play competitively with them.

Just try to find competitive Smashers where you live and play serious with them.
When my group plays, we play 3 stock, items off. Map picking is usually some kind of standard legal map. I think the balance issue holds true though... I always take Smashing pretty serious.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Find other people to play with?

If you find it fun learning all the ATs and improving your game, and they don't enjoy playing like that you can either dumb down your play when you play with them (which isn't fun IMO) or find a new group of people to smash with.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Oh, man, I hate this. Most of my friends don't have wiis and if they do then they just dont want play. Well you could always just online brawl with anyone if you want to play with actual people, although the lag sucks and you can only do two minute brawls. :( I train to get better by fighting as many lvl nines as I can handle in training mode. Then I go a duke it out in online play, fight my bros and when they get tired just fight some computers. Although, I don't know if you consider this to "fall within the realm of fun". :/
It's like black_heretic said, maybe you should just find some new brawlers who are more serious about their play.

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
try picking up a new character in order to level the playing field a little, if you get too good for them with that character then move on to another

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
Remember this is not about being good. My friends can clearly stay on level with me. However when I do play as 'Random' it seems to help curve the fun factor upwards.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, regardless of me playing random or not, they are still pretty good. It's not like I dominate the game (even if I play top tier characters).

I guess the question is, is there anything wrong with treating smash like a DDR or Guitar Hero pad, where its all about execution and mechanics. (I understand that smash has mindgames but those are more of strategy, after all there really is no good guide on mindgames)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You're just gonna have to find other people to play with.

I had this same problem in the video game club. There are only a small handful of competitive smashers there and the wide majority are casual. They just FFA all day, and even if someone wants to 1v1 someone, it's generally viewed as not fun because "I'll just get my *** kicked."

If you wanna play to get better, then keep doing so. Your friends cannot dictate how you should view yourself. If anything, you should be complaining to them for not wanting to get as good as you are, especially if they take off items and put up three stock. That's just silly.

EDIT:

I guess the question is, is there anything wrong with treating smash like a DDR or Guitar Hero pad, where its all about execution and mechanics. (I understand that smash has mindgames but those are more of strategy, after all there really is no good guide on mindgames)
No, it's not. If you wanna get better then you have to look into the little things as well. Those little things help you win.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Answer to the question that is: No. There is nothing wrong with treating smash controls mechanically. I've heard it over and over that you got to get your execution down right, but I can't make my mind work that way. However, execution and mechanics is not all there is. There's strategy, characters, types of moves, all sorts of stuff. The mainstream public has made smash into an intricate sport.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
I think it's more about the view of the I hold that they game they dislike. As I stated in my previous posts, my friends are good. They can easily match me in skill. (although I would argue I'm better, however results state we are all equal in Brawl)

I've been a member of this site for a long time because of my like for Smashing, and I've always viewed it as a very competitive game. I have fun in smash because I like to train to be the best (in b4 pokemanz).

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
That may be what I'm going to have to deal with. I guess if they choose not to play me, then that is there call. It just inconvenient me if I want to play, I do know some local smashers around me (some pretty **** good ones too), but it requires me to find a slot of time to drive out and play where I should be able to do so at home.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I think it's more about the view of the I hold that they game they dislike. As I stated in my previous posts, my friends are good. They can easily match me in skill. (although I would argue I'm better, however results state we are all equal in Brawl).
So in other words, it's the Party Game vs Competitive Game argument? Your friends just want to have fun while you just want to get better?

I never understood that argument, even if I am a competitive gamer with a casual heart. Playing to have fun is obviously fun, but playing to win is even more fun, especially if you do win.

That argument has always been heavily flawed.

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
I have been an avid smasher for about two years now, starting with the less popular Smash 64, moving to Brawl, then Melee, and now back to Brawl. Unfortunately to my friends they say I take the game way to seriously, one of there reasons for not wanting to play is that I play to win and get better. (Much like the majority of the board)

Another reason that they do like playing with me is because of my interest in advance tactics and tech.

Has anyone else had this problem? The casual smash playing friends don't want to play with the more serious smasher.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can continue to improve my game while still falling into there realm of fun. I'm also not claiming to be the best in the group by any means, or that my friends are not good either (because they are decently skilled)
Dude, I feel your pain. The only thing is, only one guy I know is like this. Username: Friggit is a lucas main and all he does is spam u-smash and ph thunder. He dpesn't play competitively and really doesn't try to get better. I advise that find "Brawl" friends, other friends who also like to brawl seriously. Don't replace your old ones, but some that share your interests would be good too.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
So in other words, it's the Party Game vs Competitive Game argument? Your friends just want to have fun while you just want to get better?

I never understood that argument, even if I am a competitive gamer with a casual heart. Playing to have fun is obviously fun, but playing to win is even more fun, especially if you do win.

That argument has always been heavily flawed.
I think you nailed it on the head. Except we like to play in a competitive manner while still playing it as a party fun, game. A good (interpreted) quote example I have is from Melee.

"All you do is play the boring characters which are easy to be good with [high tier], and try to press buttons in a certain order to win. When I play, I imagine I am a Yoshi and want to beat you down."

In short, I am told I am an unimaginative player who looks at the game from a very dry state, as if it where just a program to use and exploit.

Bleh, thanks for the advice guys. I got class in a few minutes then I gotta go to work.

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
I have the same problem, and to tell you the truth, I haven't really found a solution. One thing that my friends will do when we play to balance the field, though, is that they choose my character. It forces me to practice with lower tier characters, and actually turned me on to the ice climbers. Just sayin'

mobilisq

Smash Ace
Yeah it sucks when your friends refuse to play when you want to use your best character, or dont want to play at all because they expect to lose anyway.

That pretty accurately describes mine.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
My friends actually like to play with me, even though I'm miles better than them, they hate stuff like CGing and all that, even one time I CG'd someone, and then my other friend said "I hate it when he does that" but we still have fun :) try to play with your mains for fun(in my case, Ike, Captain, Jiggz for example) that might help.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I think I may have a simple solution to your problems...
Yes, I've had this problem myself, but I fixed it (and stayed in competitive spirit).

What to do is apologize for your seriousness of the game, and just go with the flow. Let them cool off for a bit, then when things seem to be fine, just keep quiet that you're wanting to get better. Laugh at mistakes and awesome moments that I'm sure you guys have, and don't shove what to do down your friend's throats. Keep playing them while being relax.
You mentioned that they are technically adept, so pretty much just let them do whatever they want to and don't try helping them with anything unless they ask.

While keeping cool with them, find new people to play. Once you find new people that are very competitive and enjoy playing with you, adios to your friends when it comes to Brawl =)
Sneaky, under the radar, that's all you gotta do.

okaygo

Smash Journeyman
I'm not one to backstab my friends (these are my closest friends), although I think your solution might have to be the one. I might just need to stop talking about the game, stop trying to 'show' what I've learned, and either do it, play, win, or whatever. Thanks guys, and glad to know its not just me.

RNDM!

Smash Cadet
all of my friends do the same thing, although when I try to make them better so they
could compete with me they don't listen and keep playing bad

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I seem to have the same problem, only I don't need help considering I found a sloution. My brother often complains that I take Brawl too seriously though, like if I give him some advice to play better he'll just tell me that he's not going to be playing the game proffesionally, so why would you treat it like that...etc.

I just use characters that I'm less skilled with, it gives me practice and keeps people satisfied since I don't know any techs for say Yoshi.

ken109

Smash Cadet
my cousin just whines at me when I play too hard on him. when I let him win he says that he is better than me.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I'm not one to backstab my friends (these are my closest friends), although I think your solution might have to be the one. I might just need to stop talking about the game, stop trying to 'show' what I've learned, and either do it, play, win, or whatever. Thanks guys, and glad to know its not just me.
Look, do you wanna evolve as a player or not? You said it yourself that you want to do better.
I never meant back stab! If that's how it interpreted by all, my apologies.

I just meant in the eyes of a player, SMASH ONLY, just move on. Keep your closest friends for everything else!

Glad to be of a help ^_-

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Step 1: Play with all items on medium. Low will still have you rocking the house, and high is to chaotic. Medium is the balance.

Step 2: While playing, make jokes about the game. This works EVERYTIME. Is someone got blown up, blow that particular event out of proportion. Someone tripped into Ike's fsmash? Laugh at that particular ******** character. You make a mistake? Call out your character as though he's an actual person and scold him. This is just some of the stuff that I do when i play with a less competitive crowd of friends. If you win, everyone got lulz out of the experience, and if you lose, that's probably because you're not putting your full effort into the game because you were making jokes and whatnot, so as a result, it should take a tollon your confidence.

But definitely, you'll have to find a balance by finding people who want to play the game just as competitively as you. I have that balance, so I consider myself fortunate. Even if Sonic vs. Lucario (my #1 competitive friend's main) gets old, we can always switch it up and go ftw.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Tell them to get over it.
They don't decide how you should play the game.

Karas

Smash Cadet
Step 1: Play with all items on medium. Low will still have you rocking the house, and high is to chaotic. Medium is the balance.

Step 2: While playing, make jokes about the game. This works EVERYTIME. Is someone got blown up, blow that particular event out of proportion. Someone tripped into Ike's fsmash? Laugh at that particular ******** character. You make a mistake? Call out your character as though he's an actual person and scold him. This is just some of the stuff that I do when i play with a less competitive crowd of friends. If you win, everyone got lulz out of the experience, and if you lose, that's probably because you're not putting your full effort into the game because you were making jokes and whatnot, so as a result, it should take a tollon your confidence.
I Was Just gonna Suggest that Kind thing. That's Exactly how I play xbox 360. mainly halo, we are all just screaming and yelling it gets Chaotic but its actually really fun.
But when It comes to Serious Gaming. when i beat them, they dont care. they know Im the gamer of the group.
so i can't really help you.

Denzi

Smash Master
I have this same problem... and worse, I don't have WiFi:(.
I suppose something will work out eventually.

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice

My friends were the same way at first, then I taught them how to play and showed them tutorial videos on youtube. They were amazed lol. But now they are almost as good as me, I still win like 90% of the time. Usually when they team up on me from the get go is how they get me.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Bro, go to Friend Finder if you're looking for a match.
DAT JUNK BROKE

I say don't choose getting pro at a video game over your friends, because the latter are more important. Like people are saying, you can be serious about Smash and have fun with your friends. I think I'm somewhat of a serious player, but just last night my friends and I had a 4-Luigi Brawl on Luigi's Mansion with only Smash Balls on. Serious? I think not. :chuckle: If you can find more friends to have serious matches with, great, but don't get rid of your old ones. I say don't try to change less serious players, let them be...

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
about 10 people at school asked me if i was good at smash.

i said i'm ok, and then said i want to play competitvely.

they were like "oh"

but there is one guy who is better than me >:^(

Top Bottom