• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Recovery tier list.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Don't get me wrong...I think he is A rank...however his Side B can **** him w/o the 2nd jump
Only a silly Sonic would do that, probably by accident. Not really a down point.

Oh and anyone saying Sonic can use all of his specials to help him recovery is full of BS

The homing attack sucks...get low then air dodge to see what I mean...or have him crash on the stage (not hitting anything other then the floor)

His Down B is worse in this case compared to his side B...his side B is down B 2.0 in the air...
B:If it locks it will help him recover >_>
BV:Spinshot...
B>:Spinshot and the hop
↑B:Obvious...

Tujex

Smash Ace
I think Falcon actually should go up a rank. His vertical recovery is pretty good depending on how you DI his UpB.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong...I think he is A rank...however his Side B can **** him w/o the 2nd jump
Which is why Snoic users don't Side B when they don't ahve a second jump off stage.
Oh and anyone saying Sonic can use all of his specials to help him recovery is full of BS
You're full of ignorance.
neutralB=halts momentum and if locked on helps him recover more. Non locked on gives him some horizontal distance.

side B=spinshot or side B to jump cancel which travels farther.
DownB: spinshot
^B: Obvious.
The homing attack sucks...get low then air dodge to see what I mean...or have him crash on the stage (not hitting anything other then the floor)
this does what exactly? he gets horizontal distance and can still ^B or if he is close enough to the stage, homing attack and smack into the stage.

If he slams into the floor he can ^B away from you.
His most vulnerable state is when he lands after a homing attack.
His Down B is worse in this case compared to his side B...his side B is down B 2.0 in the air...
lrn2spnsht

If anything Sonic should be higher.
Ever seen one jump over Pikachu's thunder?

viparagon

Smash Ace
Rank S
Metaknight
Rob
Jigglypuff

Rank A
Kirby
sonic
Game and Watch
Lucas
pikachu
wario
Pit

Rank B
King DDD
Toon Link
Luigi

Diddy Kong
ZSS
snake
Lucario
luigi

Rank C
samus
Zelda
peach
fox
iceclimbers
DK
Sheik
Charizard
Yoshi
Squirtle
Marth

Rank D
Mario
Falco
bowser
ness
Ike
wolf
ike

Rank E
Captain falcon
Ivysaur
Olimar
Ganondorf
Link

Does anyone like My list better?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ike and Luigi is on your list twice...

And Link's bomb recovery is too situational to be factored in honestly, but he should be higher than Ganondorf just for the fact he has a tether. Olimar too, maybe.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Thats the same thing like DDD.
invincible on startup but his attack box isn't out during then. Its not ahrd to anticipate the ^B and react accordingly.
Same deal with half the roster. Anticipate the upB and ledgehog...except we have Fludd, Fireballs, capestall, and our upB spikes. That's the point I'm trying to make. Mario's recovery is like a fortress of win.

The distance just needs help.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Lmao, a little bit safer than Lucario's? Mario's fireballs come down at a much better trajectory that Lucario's aurasphere and protect his descent much more efficiently because he can spam them as he comes down. He has a capestall similar to Lucario's Dair stall, Mario's upB and Uair stage spike consistently, and cape reverses projectiles thrown at him during recovery like Falco's lasers or Yoshi's eggs. Not to mention his best recovery protection option, Fludd, which pushes away incoming edgeguarders or can help him recover if the need arises.
Yes, it's only a little safer than Lucario's in most circumstances. In terms of recovery specials, Mario's Super Jump Punch trumps Lucario's ExtremeSpeed in most situations, but Lucario should very rarely be forced to use ExtremeSpeed, anyways. You have a point worth considering though about the Fireballs and Aura Sphere. Gravity-bound objects don't normally affect Lucario too much offstage since he can just airdodge (since his recovery is so good distance-wise, he should normally be able to make it back anyways), rising airdodge, or just simply ES around them with little difficulty, unless the opponent is Pit, and he as a godly bow arm, in which case he can literally spam arrows at you and prevent you from getting any distance whatsoever from your futile attempts at Extremespeed due to its windup time. This kind of skill should be present in like 1 in 10000 Pits, if that. On the flip side, Mario's cape can only stall once, and can't exactly be "spammed" too well to prevent a projectile barrage from hurting him. His options are to airdodge if he's really high up (at which point these kinds of projectiles shouldn't even matter), rising airdodge, cape, or to simply power through it with his Super Jump Punch's godly priority. I guess Mario shouldn't really be bothered too much, considering that gravity-bound objects are usually performed when Mario's in range to sweetspot his Up B. Both characters shouldn't be bothered too much. Same with non-gravity-bound projectiles like Samus's Charge Shot or Lucario's Aura Sphere, since Mario can just cape it back, and Luc can just airdodge or rising airdodge anyways, since they're rarely performed below stage level. Also, don't you have to face backwards to recover with Mario's FLUDD, which means you're not shooting at your opponent while you're recovering, basically making you a big target? O,o;

Oh, and fireballs to protect your descent? They're really not that hard to get around when you're edgeguarding. <<

And where's this bull coming from that Mario "can't reach the ledge"? Mario can easily recover from the bottom of FD because of his upB auto-sweetspot much quicker than Lucario could. His horizontal distance isn't bad either because he can DI his upB sort of like how Roy could in melee.
Luc's sweetspot is insane, and if you're talking about FD, speed shouldn't matter when it comes to recovering with Lucario, since he can just go for the wall if they try to hog the ledge, and go for the ledge if they try to guard the wall. I haven't tested Mario's sweetspot, but I hear it's very good as well. I'm guessing they're about the same size for argument's sake.

What is this "truckload" of options? Dair stalls and AS? Curving your upB? Seriously?
Well, first of all, there's simply drifting back to the stage, which Lucario can easily perform due to his floatiness. This is Lucario's main form of recovery. Then, there's the double jump, which gives you more height and basically enhances his main form of recovery. Then, there's the use of aerials to aid in your recovery and thwart edgeguarders. This should be your main form of countering edgeguards. On the rare occasion that Lucario's aerials do not outprioritize his opponent's aerials with Fair or Dair, he may opt to use an airdodge instead, which Lucario can easily recover from due to his high second jump and incredible range on his Up B (should it be required). To add on to the previous option, he could do a double jump and airdodge at the same time to both gain distance and thwart edgehoggers by getting past them. On the rare occasions that your opponent becomes predictable with edgeguarding, Lucario can use Double Team to get a free ticket back to the stage with invincibility frames covering him. This shouldn't be used often and can be taken advantage of if predicted, just like how Mario's cape can be countered by simply jumping next to him and doing a Bair so that he turns you around in time to whack him. If your opponent is stupid enough to try to edgehog you early, Aura Sphere can be performed to either knock them off the stage or get them to move. Either option frees up the ledge. I so far haven't found anyone stupid to try edgehogging that early, though. Even newbie edgehoggers are smart enough to wait until Lucario's below stage-level before their futile attempts at hogging. Also, just to get this out there, Lucario's Dair stall is basically useless for recovery, since the main purpose of stalling is to wait out invincibility time given by the ledge, and Lucario's recovery special doesn't even do damage, anyways. Also, on the rare occasions that it be needed, Lucario's ExtremeSpeed has quite a bit of range, and can go at virtually any angle you want. If for some reason you can't get to safety directly (such as being stuck under Lylat, or a Mario waiting near the stage to cape you), you can just curve your movement around the obstacle and continue on your merry way. Last of all, though, is Lucario's famous wall cling. If for some reason your opponent is both stupid enough to edgehog you AND

Bull. You are Sooooo lucky I woke up late. People are gonna accept this garbage as truth.
Hahaha. It was just a little joke. Everyone knows only Link's recovery is that bad.

Lol, Marth's recovery is as predictable as they get. Mario can at least stall his properly, has fireballs, and Fludd to keep opponents away. Marth has...what...Fair? Our upB also spikes on the entire attack and has the power to stagespike at 0%. Don't kid yourself.
...What the fuck?
So MK and ROB are going to let you float back to the stage? They're not going to force you to use that craptastic upB to recover?
See Lucario section where it says "Edgeguarding." :3

We're not like Mario. We aren't forced to use our ES every time we get knocked off. <<

Lucario's recovery isn't god tier, though. It's only above average. However, it's STILL lightyears ahead of Mario's in terms of overall reliability.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario's cape can only stall once, and can't exactly be "spammed" too well to prevent a projectile barrage from hurting him.
Three times actually until it becomes pretty pointless to try and stall, but by then its job is done. The opposition will have had to renew their invincibility frames and you can get in before they regrab the ledge.

When Mario's spamming his cape, the window of opportunity where a projectile can hit him is very small, since the reflecting properties last even after the cape has done the initial hit. Onstage, spamming the cape to prevent this is silly, because you're only protected from the projectiles; not normal attacks. If Olimar is throwing Pikmin and baiting me to cape so that he can use the ending lag to get close enough for a grab, he can. This isn't an option offstage since your opponent can't really run to you, they have to come out after you. Given that you've spaced correctly, you can see this coming and react in time.

Also, don't you have to face backwards to recover with Mario's FLUDD, which means you're not shooting at your opponent while you're recovering, basically making you a big target? O,o;
This is pretty situational since the distance often isn't worth the vertical height you're sacrificing, but it's generally used when you don't have your second jump and you've DI'd high. Mario's safer imo when his back is turned than when he's facing forward because of his reverse Uair and Bair. Cape still reflects projectiles as well, even while turned.

Still, most times it's better to use the Fludd to push them away.

Oh, and fireballs to protect your descent? They're really not that hard to get around when you're edgeguarding. <<
Not unless the Mario's dumb and doesn't follow behind his fireballs correctly. Either way...if Ike or Marth want to jump up and Fair me, they have to go through the fireballs. Also, if fireballs happen to hit an opponent on the ledge and you follow with an upB, you spike them.

Luc's sweetspot is insane, and if you're talking about FD, speed shouldn't matter when it comes to recovering with Lucario, since he can just go for the wall if they try to hog the ledge, and go for the ledge if they try to guard the wall. I haven't tested Mario's sweetspot, but I hear it's very good as well. I'm guessing they're about the same size for argument's sake.
Still, the speed is a factor. That's why Marths aren't edgehogged left and right. Marth's upB is so fast that it's hard to get to the edge quick enough. This isn't the case with Lucario because of the slow startup.

Well, first of all, there's simply drifting back to the stage, which Lucario can easily perform due to his floatiness. This is Lucario's main form of recovery.
Mario can do this nearly as well as Lucario. He just has to have the right DI on the attack that knocked him out there. It's not to the point where Mario wouldn't need DJ or upB, but Mario's pretty floaty himself. Even then, Mario can defend himself better than Lucario as he's floating with fireballs and Fludd.

Then, there's the double jump, which gives you more height and basically enhances his main form of recovery. Then, there's the use of aerials to aid in your recovery and thwart edgeguarders. This should be your main form of countering edgeguards.
Lucario's aerials are much better than Mario's for protecting recovery, that I'll give you. But for Mario, he doesn't need to wait for his opponent to get close for him to screw up edgeguarding attempts; he can start from the moment knocked offstage.

On the rare occasion that Lucario's aerials do not outprioritize his opponent's aerials with Fair or Dair, he may opt to use an airdodge instead, which Lucario can easily recover from due to his high second jump and incredible range on his Up B (should it be required).
I have a problem with this. Airdodging can easily backfire if your opponent predicts it and waits for it to end. With correct spacing, this could mean a gimp especially by Marth, ROB or MK.

To add on to the previous option, he could do a double jump and airdodge at the same time to both gain distance and thwart edgehoggers by getting past them.
Better, but still risky. Being forced to airdodge for your recovery is never good, even if used in this fashion. If the opponent predicts the airdodge or knows where you'll be when it's over, you're helpless to stop the attack.

On the rare occasions that your opponent becomes predictable with edgeguarding, Lucario can use Double Team to get a free ticket back to the stage with invincibility frames covering him. This shouldn't be used often and can be taken advantage of if predicted
Situational, just like Mario's reverse Fludd recovery. Still, this is a viable mixup for your recovery.

Aura Sphere can be performed to either knock them off the stage or get them to move. Either option frees up the ledge.
I agree.

If for some reason you can't get to safety directly (such as being stuck under Lylat, or a Mario waiting near the stage to cape you), you can just curve your movement around the obstacle and continue on your merry way.
Ledgehog stops this if I'm understanding you right.

Last of all, though, is Lucario's famous wall cling. If for some reason your opponent is both stupid enough to edgehog you
That wall isn't too safe if the opponent predicts your ES isn't going for the ledge. There aren't many choices of where to jump from that ledge, and you don't have invincibility frames iirc.

...What the fuck?
Stage spike. Marth and Mario's upB's stage spike. I was just saying that Marth sort of needs to aim his because not all of Marth's upB hits the same way. Mario's does.

See Lucario section where it says "Edgeguarding." :3

We're not like Mario. We aren't forced to use our ES every time we get knocked off. <<
Basically, the point I'm trying to make is if you predict Lucario's intentions during his recovery, there's a good chance you're going back offstage, losing a stock, or being set up for a gimp. If you know he wants to Airdodge, wait till it's over, attack early, or wait at the end of the airdodge to knock him back off.

If you know where his ES is going, react accordingly with a ledgehog or drop an aerial to the wall.

If you know which aerial he'll do during his descent, pick an attack to outprioritize it or throw out a projectile.

In Mario's case, His fireballs and Fludd can't really be counteracted since they're projectiles, capestall stops projectiles from gimping him and throws off opposition's timing/spacing, and his recovery is overall faster.

The only recovery tactics that Mario has that're victim to prediction are aerials and his upB. Aerials aren't really that widely used overall, and his upB stage spikes if their invincibility timing is off, which'll be pretty often because of the fireballs and capestall.

Lucario's "safe" recovery options are AS and Dair stall. AS because it's a projectile and is only unsafe vs characters with reflectors because of the trajectory. Dair stall because it's much like Mario's cape stall except it doesn't really degrade and protects from approaches from below, but you said this is pointless.

The distance that Lucario's recovery covers sort of makes up for this, but not really.

Lucario's recovery isn't god tier, though. It's only above average. However, it's STILL lightyears ahead of Mario's in terms of overall reliability.
Even if we find that Lucario's recovery, in fact, IS better, it's not a whole 2 tiers better.

powell651234

Smash Apprentice
whoa!

Samus has a great recovery, using bombs, I can stall to the side of the stage for almost an infinite amount of time.

Tether is huge, floatiness gives us maneuverability. Up B is godly, especially when used directly below, but the speed at which it jumps up cannot be denied.

Also, we can use side b in mid air to free up space.

If the opposition is waiting at stage's edge, one can drill them with a quick z-air, before up-b ing to the edge.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
People really underrate Mario's recovery, his recovery is average not this terrible, super easy to gimp nonsense. Mario's total distance is decent, not great but decent, and he's farily difficult to edgeguard; saying Mario's recovery is a D or F is pretty naive, there are tons of characters with far worse recoveries than Mario and many characters with better recoveries. Mario's recovery is probally somewhere in the middle of C, give or take a bit.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why in the world are Fox and ZSS so high up? What does Fox have, anyway? What's the logic here when Zelda is in C and those two are in B?

Snail

Smash Lord
Stop putting Olimar below Ivysaur for god's sake. It's like you guys change the order in the top and high tiers in every new list you make and just copypaste the rest from the OP...

Adapt

Smash Lord
Why in the world are Fox and ZSS so high up? What does Fox have, anyway? What's the logic here when Zelda is in C and those two are in B?
I would take ZSS's recovery over Zelda or Fox anyday.

Zelda can't even move for a while after her up-B. It doesn't sweetspot the ledge, and it only travels in a straight line.

Fox at least has another option, and can use his fair to gain more distance after a jump. I will say though, even with his other options his recovery isn't great

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zelda can't even move for a while after her up-B. It doesn't sweetspot the ledge, and it only travels in a straight line.
ZSS's down (I think) B moves only in a specific arch. Her Up B moves only in a straight line and goes only for the ledge (and is easily edgehogged). Zelda can cancel her Up B by actually landing with it instead of Up B:ing into thin air, in which case she won't lag.

ZSS can't immediately cancel her down B either and doesn't she also lag from it?

Fox at least has another option, and can use his fair to gain more distance after a jump. I will say though, even with his other options his recovery isn't great
So can Zelda. Tons of characters can use aerials to gain more distance. Fox is a fastfaller, he needs it more than Zelda who can just air control most of the time.

Fox's options are all easily intercepted and predictable. Illusion also lags like hell on landing on Firefox has a smaller hitbox now.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Olimar/Ivy/Luigi should be lower...

Zelda is NOT a C rank, and Samus should be higher....

EDIT: YOSHI? lmao, have you ever tried to gimp a good yoshi?

Adapt

Smash Lord
ZSS's down (I think) B moves only in a specific arch. Her Up B moves only in a straight line and goes only for the ledge (and is easily edgehogged). Zelda can cancel her Up B by actually landing with it instead of Up B:ing into thin air, in which case she won't lag.

ZSS can't immediately cancel her down B either and doesn't she also lag from it?
Her up-B will sweetspot the ledge in a decent size arc, and she can use her side-B for any horizontal angle. Her tethers are the longest in the game and they are no more easily edgehogged than any up-B.

In short ZSS can tether anywhere from -30 to 210 degrees to the horizontal. There may be a possible exception at ~50-60 degrees but I have never had a problem in a match.

Her down-B only has lag if you use the kick. It does move in a specific arc, but it will sweetspot the ledge. And if someone want to punish the predicatable arc there is the flipstool (which travels 3/4 the length of FD) and the spiking sex kick. You can also flipstool someone who is hanging on the ledge.

Zelda does have lag on a ground landing, it is partially covered by the hitbox, but not totally.

So can Zelda. Tons of characters can use aerials to gain more distance. Fox is a fastfaller, he needs it more than Zelda who can just air control most of the time.

Fox's options are all easily intercepted and predictable. Illusion also lags like hell on landing on Firefox has a smaller hitbox now.
I have no real argument for fox vs zelda, I dislike both of their recoveries. I would not have any problem putting Zelda above Fox. Illusion does give him more options, but Zelda's can't be interrupted in the middle.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ

ZSS's specific arc cancels immediately anywhere in the animation upon landing, and auto-sweetspots the ledge pretty much from before the top of the arc to the end. Not only that, but the move gives a surprising amount of horizontal and vertical distance. Its auto-walljump can also be used to auto-sweetspot on FD. Flipstooling has already been mentioned too. Rarely will ZSSes use the kick while recovering, either, unless their opponent is being a ******* and trying to approach from below.

Furthermore, non of her recovery moves put her in a helpless state. She can be edgehogged once, then try again. Most importantly, if she finds herself recovering significantly above the stage, she can still airdodge.

I couldn't tell you why Fox is so high up, though. I can't figure it out. Honestly, none of the spacies have very great recoveries, except maybe Wolf. Maybe.

jaap

Smash Cadet
(Original post at page 10, copy at page 15, 18)

:) My tier list is still open for discussion.
Ill post it again so it wont get ignored :p And also because no1 reacted on page 18 :p

Here it is:

Rank S
Meta knight
R.O.B
Jigglypuff

Rank A
Wario
Kirby
Lucas
Mr. Game and Watch
Sonic
Pikachu
King Dedede
Pit

Rank B
Samus
Luigi
Fox
Toon Link
Diddy Kong
Charizard

Rank C
Yoshi
Snake
Zero Suit Samus
Lucario
Peach
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Wolf
Sheik
Falco
Marth

Rank D
Captain Falcon
Mario
Ness
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Ike

Rank E
Squirtle
Olimar
Ivysaur
Link
Ganondorf

Like it or not :p? Always open for change. Also give reasons about his/her recovery :)

•Col•

Smash Champion
Dude marth, C. falcon, and luigi have great recoveries man iono whats up with this list
Whaaaa? Captain Falcon's recovery is pretty much bawlz. <__< Luigi is good where he is... Marth should be a few spaces higher...

Other comments: Why is Lucas so high? o-o And I think Wolf should be moved down a bit...

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Move Game and Watch up above Wario. Game and Watch's recovery is near ungimpable, while Wario's is completely.

Move Sonic down below Dedede. His recovery is good, but is still incredibly gimpable.

Move Charizard above Shiek. His recovery is pretty good. Two jumps, glide (albeit a slow one,) and Up B.

Move Ness down below Squirtle. His recovery is incredibly gimpable.

Move Yoshi WAY up, above Zelda possibly. Ungimpable if used right, can recover vertically and horizontally.

Move Falco above Mario. He has Side B, plus can change directions with Up B.

Move Ivysaur below Olimar. Olimar has better aerial manuverability, gets a boost off of his Up B, and has a recovery that actually CAN spike people to their death without being dead on accurate.

Link below Ganon. Ganon's catches people on the ledge and has an okay vertical distance. Link's doesn't go anywhere.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
(Original post at page 10, copy at page 15, 18)

:) My tier list is still open for discussion.
Ill post it again so it wont get ignored :p And also because no1 reacted on page 18 :p

Here it is:

Rank S
Meta knight
R.O.B
Jigglypuff

Rank A
Kirby
Wario
Pit
Lucas
Sonic
King Dedede
Pikachu
Game and Watch

Rank B
Luigi
Samus
Fox
Toon Link
Diddy Kong
Zero Suit Samus

Rank C
Charizard
Peach
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Wolf
Lucario
Yoshi
Sheik
Ness
Falco
Marth

Rank D
Captain Falcon
Mario
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Ike

Rank E
Squirtle
Olimar
Ivysaur
Link
Ganondorf

Like it or not :p? Always open for change. Also give reasons about his/her recovery :)
Some little changes (in 5-8 characters)
What is this listed based off of, just total distance?

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Larger distance is not equal to better recovery.

G&W is practically ungimpable, even by the king of gimping, MK. Also his parachute allows him to cover an insane horizontal distance if you use it far away from the stage. His dair is good for making it back onto the stage from above if you choose to do this because it has very good priority (it beats Snake's mortars) and IASA frames upon landing.

Sonic can recover a great distance, but he can get hit out of it more easily. His up b is hard to gimp, but his b is fairly easy to, because you can tell exactly where it is going to go. His side b is okay. While he may be able to cover a greater distance than G&W (disputable), he is definitely more susceptible to gimping.

He still has a good recovery, but I would not say it is comparable to G&W's.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Wow, are these people ********? Sonic's recovery is one of the hardest to gimp in the game.

Invincibility frames+ability to attack out of it+ability to footstool and wall jump after it+ability to airdodge out of it=Non gimpable.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Larger distance is not equal to better recovery.

G&W is practically ungimpable, even by the king of gimping, MK. Also his parachute allows him to cover an insane horizontal distance if you use it far away from the stage. His dair is good for making it back onto the stage from above if you choose to do this because it has very good priority (it beats Snake's mortars) and IASA frames upon landing.

Sonic can recover a great distance, but he can get hit out of it more easily. His up b is hard to gimp, but his b is fairly easy to, because you can tell exactly where it is going to go. His side b is okay. While he may be able to cover a greater distance than G&W (disputable), he is definitely more susceptible to gimping.

He still has a good recovery, but I would not say it is comparable to G&W's.
Do you know anything about Sonic? At all?

For making it back down Sonic has up B->dair, leaving the spring as a cover for him. It may not be G&W's dair, but that doesn't matter because that has absolutely nothing to do with his recovery, as that's just part of on stage fighting (which is not what we're rating now is it?)

Sonic is actually harder to hit out of his recovery than game and watch, because his recovery is a lot more variable (since he can jump cancel his spins/spinshot/HA/wall jump/ect.) And Game and Watch's ironically caries you with him, making it easier to hit him at the top of it.

Top Bottom