• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Sonic hitbox thread

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I have a possible idea on SA frame stuff, what about Ike's neutral B facing backwards from them? iirc, Ike's neutral B behind him stinks, and even better, he doen't really move.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Yo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9mak7FXmSY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9mak7FXmSY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254970

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Kita and NL posted something in the Smash Workshop about that, supposedly after I'm done with Brawl+ related stuff I'll try working on the Sonic hitbox GFX, but Dantarion says he's working on a code for it.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Oh cool. Seems like people are working on other charcters too, I've just seen a few GIFs of Ike's moves.

Browny

Smash Hater
hmmm Ive been following this stuff for a while, was meant to post here straight after kita mentioned the vid on the xat chat but couldn't be bothered lol.

Anyway I see Rob, Wario and a few other characters have done comprehensive stuff with this, is anyone here capable of doing it with Sonic?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I was going to suggest the same thing earlier. Is there a Sonic hitbox thing up at all yet?

I'd gladly do it myself if I knew how to do it. I'd kill to see Sonic's bair, uair, and fsmash range.

Browny

Smash Hater
the range is very easy to see, thats what my pictures did lol. The extent of the elliptical hitbox is whats interesting, like how you can fsmash a snake who has shield dropped a grenade and it doesnt blow it up, or up-angle an fsmash to beat certain aerial attacks lol

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I'm working on the hitbubble stuff for Sonic, actually. We'll see if these are accurate, but I bet they are. =D

Tenki

Smash Hero
Just wondering, is there a way to display the characters' uh... for lack of a better term, "hurt" bubbles? (where to hit them to deal damage)

I mean, alot of us already know the range of moves by feel, but knowing where you can get hit / how disjoint you are might be pretty important.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
"Hurtbox" would be the correct term.

I wonder how long it will be though, before we replace box with bubbles; depending on how successful/helpful this project becomes.

Browny

Smash Hater
hitbox was used because thats what other fighters used... have you seen the 'hitbox' stuff for those old 2D games? literally just rectangles.

Browny

Smash Hater
Testing a new disjoint theory... let me know what you guys think. I did it for ZSS bair because i didnt beleive ZSS mains telling me the entire leg was disjointed, outright beats nado etc so I had to see for myself...

anyway (I didnt actually quote this, it just looks neater)

Working out the disjoint of attacks

Firstly, to measure the extent of a disjoint I plan on testing moves against Snakes utilt. Not because it has the largest disjoint (I know DDD ftilt and some other are bigger) but because of the single-frame maximum range hitbox, as proven by the PSA hitbubble tests.

So it starts with a picture as follows
Snake utilt range
This was the maximum range I got snakes utilt to spark from, 1 frame before the hitbox comes out.
For reference purposes, I will measure the range of his utilt relative to a point on his body which does not move, such as his right ankle, to the length of yellow strip on the platforms. So in the above example, the utilt reaches 231 pixels from his right ankle while the platform length is 534 pixels, so his utilt has the range of 43.26% of a platform length from his right ankle. Everything in this method is measured to a platform length, it will become apparent later.

The next step is determining the maximum range of a move. In my example, I did ZSS bair. Using multiple pictures such as
Image 1 and image 2
I get multiple values (a % of platform length) both when the attack barely misses, and when it just hits to average out the 2 closes values. In this example, I calculated a range of 32.5% of a platform length when measured from the tip of her left shoe, for the same reason as using snakes boot. This is only to determine the maximum range of the attack, not the disjoint, but still helpful.

Finally, I see how close I can get ZSS's bair to snakes utilt such that both hitboxes come out at the same time and just begin to hit each other. Snake being snake, his utilt will beat pretty much everything so this is good to measure disjoint on a lot of moves, but not ike fair obviously. Doing that, this is the furthest I could get ZSS away from snake and have his utilt connect.
Bair vs Utilt
This isnt the actual screenshot I used, since ZSS bair has come out slightly too early. When the attacks come out at the same time, it does not actually show the bair extending, such as shown here,
both attacks hit at the same time.
Utilt beats bair

So the first pic of snake utilt vs ZSS bair is the one used to calculate a disjoint. Getting ZSS in the same position every time was difficult and probably the largest source of errors, I did my best to be pixel-perfect, zooming in and making sure her feet were in the exact same position etc before doing the next bair and screenshotting it. Also note the bair had to be extended at the same height at snakes utilt maximum range, as shown by the location of a glancing blow, I did my best to hit it there.

From there, using

simply use the platform above to determine the extent of snakes disjoint vs ZSS bair, draw a line upwards and there, that is the extent of the bair disjoint. The utilt actually connected in this picture, so the disjoint is probably a few pixels shorter actually but the difference is tiny.

Finally, I just made a simple picture illustrating what it must look like
disjoint
The hitbox shape is wrong, this picture is only for illustrative purposes of the length of the disjoint measured from the attacks maximum range.
:)

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
its a broken move that kills on a level of easy mode not surpassed by any kill move in this game. combined with snakes weight, he has to work 1/3 less than his opponent to kill, and they DONT HAVE GRENADES TO SPAM. a clear example of people not thinking when they program move properties.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i hate snake more than mk.

-_-

:093:

Browny

Smash Hater

The disjoint on bair... At least as far as I can tell.

It actually sparked from this far away :O

Please remember, the hitbox shape is NOT ACCURATE. all i measured was a vertical line, I didnt measure how wide anything is

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
any idea on when the hit bubbles for sonic will be done?

we should all be readjusting our spacing after seeing stuff like this...:laugh:

Top Bottom