• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My tourney Dilemna...advice please?

Dr.Peppers

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

So my question is this... I have a local tourney coming up in about 2 weeks. So really not enough time to resolve this issue.

I have 2 characters; Sonic and Marth. The people I usually play with say I'm equally as good with both, however I am more skilled with Sonic...it is just clear how much higher Marth is on the tier lists...

If I am unfamiliar with my opponent and who he may be using (so I can't base it on matchup), in your experience would I be better off using, at least for the first match of the set? The character I am more skilled/comfortable with but who isn't as dominant, or the character who I am still at a fairly high level of play with, and is much higher on the tier list?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Well you should obviously keep marth as a secondary so he will cover most of sonics bad matchups. Usually if I lose my first match with my main/are going against a really bad matchup, Ill cp with my secondary.
You can use em both, if I were you I'd start with sonic and go marth if you need to.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
It really depends. I'm pretty bad with sonic but he's lots of fun so I still work on him. People I play often almost always beat my sonic. They see through my mindgames pretty fast. There's not much I can do. I win the first match very often because the other person has no experience, and sonic's overwhelming speed can trip up your opponent.

I would go for Marth to be safe for the first match of the set if you're that worried, but Sonic does really well against people with no familiarity on the matchup. Plus, people always wtf when they lose against a Sonic.

ook

Smash Lord
I win the first match very often because the other person has no experience, and sonic's overwhelming speed can trip up your opponent.

I would go for Marth to be safe for the first match of the set if you're that worried, but Sonic does really well against people with no familiarity on the matchup. Plus, people always wtf when they lose against a Sonic.
^ Pretty much this, if you think you're better with Sonic, then use Sonic.

And everybody knows how to fight Marths, not as many know how to fight Sonics.

But if you're waiting on someone to finish their match to play you, watch that match and see who they're using.

Or, just... wait for them to pick their character first, lol.

Then you can at least know what the matchup will be. Nobody is gonna call double-blind or anything.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
If you're more skilled with Sonic, then you should use him first, besides, not many people know how to effectivly face Sonic anyway. You should keep Marth as a secondary, so you can cover up Sonics bad match-ups. If you find you get countered while playing as Sonic, I would say since you have knowledge of both characters well, you could use Marth instead.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
A good philosophy for a main is the character you most enjoy or are most comfortable playing with

I main kirby because he is my favorite, I second G&W because I wanted a top tier character I was comfortable playing with.

You should play sonic and do your best and keep marth as an option for any time you think playing him will improve your chances of winning.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Pretty much what everyone else said. Familiarity and comfort is way more important than tier list alone.

Start with Sonic and see how that goes...if it's not working for you, go for Marth.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Test the waters.
See who works, it might not be a bad idea to pick up another pocket character, even if it's just for learning purposes.
There is nothing wrong with arming yourself with some knowledge.

Gaudeo

Smash Cadet
I've got to agree with the consensus. Playing with the character you know how to use to the best effect is more important than focusing on tier lists. If you're out to win, then you should play with whatever character you have the best handle on, and save others for your bad matchups.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I've got to agree with the consensus. Playing with the character you know how to use to the best effect is more important than focusing on tier lists. If you're out to win, then you should play with whatever character you have the best handle on, and save others for your bad matchups.
Viewed alternately, if you're really serious about using Sonic, where, if not game 1 on the blind, will you ever use him?

You can either go Sonic R1, see how you do, and deal with what comes, or you can pull out someone else, maybe win, maybe lose, and then be in a situation where you'll play Sonic only if Sonic is your CP.

And why would you CP Sonic? :eek:

Use who you want to win. If you want to win with whoever will win, then your decision comes down to your present ability. If you want one of these guys to be your char, then only you know which it is.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on who you are playing. I main ganondorf but I second lucario and Falco. They are higher on the list but im better with Ganon. So why wouldn't I use ganon all the time? because he has weaknesses (like your sonic) that can be exploited but with a solid counterpick you should be fine.

Play sonic first and if you lose counter with marth.

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Use Sonic first, just because it's oh so satisfying when you beat someone with a character they don't feel threatened by.

Top Bottom