• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Wolf...

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I hope posting videos of our wolves is promoted...

Anyway, my Wolf sucks, so please be kind to it. :( I'd appreciate, if you can bear it, to look at all three videos posted this month.

I already know a couple of my faults, but I wanted a general consensus from you guys. Thanks, and be kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpZ6SphvXwY

June 09 26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ACSHr6bQ4

I'm having trouble against my friend Gangsta. He mains Snake and plays a couple other characters, but his Peach is something that's giving me trouble. That is the start of a 2/3 match, but he beats me both times. Tell me things I have to improve on not only generally, please, but also things match-up specific.

nocturne55

Smash Cadet
There seemed to be some problems when following up against Marth. He has crazy range and crazy speed, so you should probably be more careful. Dash attack, for example, is really risky. You seemed to get hit by upB a lot. SH fair ended with you getting slammed once or twice as well.

The second video had a lot of "lol pictochat" moments, and the third a lot of "lol pirate ship" moments.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
From what I noticed, you need to focus on your spacing. You're bairs are way less effective if your not spacing them properly. Also try to incorporate the AC Fair into your game, as it is a very effective (I like to use it as a retreat). Thats pretty much all I noticed, but spacing is key and will make you a LOT better.

Good Luck

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
From what I noticed, you need to focus on your spacing. You're bairs are way less effective if your not spacing them properly. Also try to incorporate the AC Fair into your game, as it is a very effective (I like to use it as a retreat). Thats pretty much all I noticed, but spacing is key and will make you a LOT better.

Good Luck
My experience has taught me that AC fair isn't that helpful. It's almost always punished by a character's ridiculous range or simply, it's shielded.

Yeah, my bairs are kind of ********. I'll keep that in mind.

There seemed to be some problems when following up against Marth. He has crazy range and crazy speed, so you should probably be more careful. Dash attack, for example, is really risky. You seemed to get hit by upB a lot. SH fair ended with you getting slammed once or twice as well.

The second video had a lot of "lol pictochat" moments, and the third a lot of "lol pirate ship" moments.
>_> Most of those were failed boost smashes. I did them absent-mindedly, so I never get my boost smash.

I seem unable to understand Marth's range, but I'll try to be less stubborn.

Any positives we noticed? What should I do more of? What should I do less of, besides the already mentioned?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Punish better. This could come with more time playing or a better knowledge of the matchup. But learn how to punish everything. I saw a lot of opportunities you didn't punish.

This is a little hard to explain... but like, when you're at an advantage and they are at a disadvantage (IE, they have less options, for example, when they're on the ledge. Unless they're metaknight) you don't... or at least it seems like you don't acknowledge it, you treat it like you're both neutral and you're approaching. Acknowledge that they're at a disadvantage and further limit their options.

For example when I'm on the ledge I will usually stand a roll's distance away and just blaster. This makes it so that they can't: Roll, Ledge hop aerial, get up, get up attack. I'm not sure about ledge hop airdodge... they might be able to take the hit and hit you back, but I'm not sure. Usually they just jump. That's just an example of limiting their options. You can do the same thing with a tech chase. For example if they're down on the ground and you're next to them you can limit their options by shielding. That stops them from, get up attacking. The rest is up to your reading skills.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
A little reminder for the Marth user: F/d-throw -> F-smash only works at near zero damage for most characters. Marth can fit another f/d-throw on fastfallers. Tell that to your crew member.

Advice for you: Cool shine gimp. Cuold've been used a little more outside of that still, like as a combo breaker or gtfo move, among other things. In other words, shine a little more. You also seem to have that shield -> spotdodge habit several others have, but to a lesser extent. Lose that habit asap, you missed a perfect opprtunity to punish that dash attack at 00:10 because of that spotdodge. Finally, I will add emphasis on Mith's suggestion on the AC F-air. Don't use it as much as b-air, but its a pretty cool kill move at higher damage, can pressure your opponent a bit, and you'll leave the target at a very disadvantageous position once they get hit.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
I actually find AC fair quite useful. It has a good disjointed hitbox, and if spaced right, is tough to shield grab. I guess if your playing characters like olimar, it may not be as useful, but don't underestimate it. AC fair also serves as a good retreat, due to wolf's great horizontal movement. But like AssaultX said, use your bair way more lol.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
You're alot alot better than me anyway, that's all i can say.
1:14 = epic! :)
lol Thanks. I thought that was lolish.

I actually find AC fair quite useful. It has a good disjointed hitbox, and if spaced right, is tough to shield grab. I guess if your playing characters like olimar, it may not be as useful, but don't underestimate it. AC fair also serves as a good retreat, due to wolf's great horizontal movement. But like AssaultX said, use your bair way more lol.
Definitely. I mean, I used to use it alot, and I didn't get grabbed often, but I found that my game got worse, so I stopped using it. I do use it for kills every once and a while, but I don't have many good moments of using it.

Albeit, I LOVE to use it while retreating.

steersmash

Smash Rookie
Just to be awkward, what does 'AC' stand for? :D

I don't fully understand all the technical terms and abreviations jut yet.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
AC = Auto cancel.
If you use fair immediately after your short hop, there won't be any landing lag, so it's auto cancelled.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
You're not spacing well enough. If you played an extremely smart player in a tourney set, you'd be getting punished for your attacks almost every time. The Marth you played is umm..bad.

You need to start bairing much more often and start using them in a quick, relentless motion. For example, try Bair Walls. Do it fast enough and the player won't have much time to react besides keeping their shield up. If the bair hits the shield, BUT you spaced it, the opponent won't be able to punish. Bair is Wolf's best move. Use it alot more than any other move he has.

AC Fair's also get your opponent guessing and it gives you alot of options when you space or retreat with it. It can combo on low percents too.

Punish with fsmash, ftilt, or sheild/dash grab. You use any other move besides those to punish at a low percent, you drop wolf.

And please, no shining out of stage. I told you before the Marth was bad. Against a smarter player you would have missed and been edge hogged. Don't overuse DACUS because I can tell in the match you messed up a few times and dash attacked instead. Use it like once or twice a round.

Average Wolf man. Practice more.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
You're not spacing well enough. If you played an extremely smart player in a tourney set, you'd be getting punished for your attacks almost every time. The Marth you played is umm..bad.

You need to start bairing much more often and start using them in a quick, relentless motion. For example, try Bair Walls. Do it fast enough and the player won't have much time to react besides keeping their shield up. If the bair hits the shield, BUT you spaced it, the opponent won't be able to punish. Bair is Wolf's best move. Use it alot more than any other move he has.

AC Fair's also get your opponent guessing and it gives you alot of options when you space or retreat with it. It can combo on low percents too.

Punish with fsmash, ftilt, or sheild/dash grab. You use any other move besides those to punish at a low percent, you drop wolf.

And please, no shining out of stage. I told you before the Marth was bad. Against a smarter player you would have missed and been edge hogged. Don't overuse DACUS because I can tell in the match you messed up a few times and dash attacked instead. Use it like once or twice a round.

Average Wolf man. Practice more.

Zen! get some more offline videos up plox =o

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP0xtuz72Ag&feature=related

It's a new video guys. I guess this is my critique thread. *On another note, can we make a critique thread sticky? Just an idea...

This is PURE friendly, so forgive my experiments/mistakes. But there is some of my game play. What is good, if there is any?

EDIT: There should be two more videos that I uploaded around this time, but I think the only thing you're missing from the other videos is some of my DI. Take a look if you want, but the video in this post will suffice.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Work on your bair game some more, you could improve your spacing and you might also want to try out SHFF bairs. For the first stock, shine > dsmash isn't a real combo, you probably should've just dsmashed.

On a somewhat related note, dsmash sucks for killing if your opponent can tell it's coming and knows how to DI. Like, it really sucks. Learn to use it at times where your opponent really isn't expecting it, and it'll be much more effective.

Anyways, don't run off the stage against marth. He can counter semiscars, and won't have too much difficulty gimping you. And you used upB... as an attempt to end a juggle? What? Don't do that in a serious match, I'm sure you know that though. At 1:45, that was nice. Unexpected, I like it a lot. Good to see you can incorporate telestepping into your game.

Overall, as Arc would say, you just need to play smarter. I saw your blog btw, you should probably try to find some new/better people to play with...

:059:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Work on your bair game some more, you could improve your spacing and you might also want to try out SHFF bairs. For the first stock, shine > dsmash isn't a real combo, you probably should've just dsmashed

I do SHFF bairs sometimes, but not in this match. I should definitely do them more often. As for reflector > smash, I know. Thanks.

On a somewhat related note, dsmash sucks for killing if your opponent can tell it's coming and knows how to DI. Like, it really sucks. Learn to use it at times where your opponent really isn't expecting it, and it'll be much more effective.

I'll know that when I'm playing a far more skilled player, probably from experience, rather.

Anyways, don't run off the stage against marth. He can counter semiscars, and won't have too much difficulty gimping you. And you used upB... as an attempt to end a juggle? What? Don't do that in a serious match, I'm sure you know that though. At 1:45, that was nice. Unexpected, I like it a lot. Good to see you can incorporate telestepping into your game.

No, in serious matches I'm scared of using Upb. That was lol. I'd expect to be fair'd against someone more skilled, again.

As for the telestepping, thank you. I'm sad not a lot of people incorporate it into their game, but I'm going to start working on doing the far range telestep rather than short range. Usually short range means that you're doing it on purpose from the edge, which is more predictable. Doing it from afar as a recover is far more predictable (unless done often).

Overall, as Arc would say, you just need to play smarter. I saw your blog btw, you should probably try to find some new/better people to play with...

It's a problem. The best I've played is HAT, and that was only one set. I'm going to work on going to more tourneys/smash fests.

Thanks.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I just think bair spacing is the biggest improvement you could make, you should never be grabbed after bairing someone if you space it right. Learning to SHFF bair is a little irritating and takes practice but it's awesome once you have it down. Good overall, probably need to practice with better people though, as was mentioned before.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
BUMP.

New videos, new help needed. My friend Gstainc is beating my *** with his Peach. I was hoping I could get some constructive criticism please. Thank you in advance. New vids are in OP.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
All right, here goes!

Some general questions, your random crouching (generally followed by shine/dtilt), any particular reason you crouch beforehand? And your use of dtilt overall... it's like you're trying to implement it, but it doesn't seem to have any effect besides taking away an opportunity for something else. Also, you spamming SHFF bairs just outside of range... it might scare some opponents, but good ones just **** you for it. Example: A D3 that I did this on just ran up and grabbed me when I landed, because of the absence of shieldstun. Just curious as to your reasoning for those things.

0:34 - you dodged, and punished with shine. Shine isn't for punishing, it's for countering... Unless it was because you came out before the second hit of peach's dash attack, you would have been better off with a grab (if it was because you were dodging the second hit, good job lol).
Speaking of which, after the shine you followed up with the full jab combo, even though the first hit didn't connect. This gets you punished, because jab3 has a lot of cooldown. Try not to finish the combo automatically, unless the first hit connects.

1:00 - UpB on stage was interesting lol. You should've just charged fsmash, so your opponent goes like "osht I'm screwed", and yeah, more damage that way too.

Uhh, for when you lost your second stock, I guess, just better DI and momentum cancelling earlier would've saved you easy. Also, when the first blaster didn't hit peach out of her float, why didn't you SH the next one?

3:23 - SH shine... idk, you have better things to SH when you're not going for a counter.

Overall, not bad, you have a good grip on shff bairs and sh fairs. The flash cancel to recover was nice, and you didn't have any problems with getting your kills.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
All right, here goes!

Some general questions, your random crouching (generally followed by shine/dtilt), any particular reason you crouch beforehand?
I'm ********.

And your use of dtilt overall... it's like you're trying to implement it, but it doesn't seem to have any effect besides taking away an opportunity for something else.
I keep believing that it has a lot of range, but compared to bair or fair, it's obsolete. I still find myself using it though. >_>

Also, you spamming SHFF bairs just outside of range... it might scare some opponents, but good ones just **** you for it. Example: A D3 that I did this on just ran up and grabbed me when I landed, because of the absence of shieldstun. Just curious as to your reasoning for those things.
Just stupid moments, nothing more.

0:34 - you dodged, and punished with shine. Shine isn't for punishing, it's for countering... Unless it was because you came out before the second hit of peach's dash attack, you would have been better off with a grab (if it was because you were dodging the second hit, good job lol).
It was to stop anything involving the dash attack.

Speaking of which, after the shine you followed up with the full jab combo, even though the first hit didn't connect. This gets you punished, because jab3 has a lot of cooldown. Try not to finish the combo automatically, unless the first hit connects.
I don't think I do that often, but it's something I'll note at the moment.

1:00 - UpB on stage was interesting lol. You should've just charged fsmash, so your opponent goes like "osht I'm screwed", and yeah, more damage that way too.
It was one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" moments.

Uhh, for when you lost your second stock, I guess, just better DI and momentum cancelling earlier would've saved you easy. Also, when the first blaster didn't hit peach out of her float, why didn't you SH the next one?
Honestly, this is the first time I've had to deal with a Peach like the one Gstainc's been using. I'm still getting used to that fair. It'll take a couple smacks around to DI it. As for the blaster, just a stupid moment.

3:23 - SH shine... idk, you have better things to SH when you're not going for a counter.
I went to look, and I ended up loling. Yeah, I'll definitely bring you a better video.

Overall, not bad, you have a good grip on shff bairs and sh fairs. The flash cancel to recover was nice, and you didn't have any problems with getting your kills.
I honestly don't think I did well. I hope that's not courtesy. :psycho: I definitely improved, but my game is inconsistent. I know everyone is, but I'm talking in regards to the short term. Anyway, I believe I just need to improve general techniques like DI and wash away the stupid moments, and I have myself a respectable Wolf.

You know there're two videos, right? I got two-stocked the second match.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I honestly don't think I did well. I hope that's not courtesy. :psycho: I definitely improved, but my game is inconsistent. I know everyone is, but I'm talking in regards to the short term. Anyway, I believe I just need to improve general techniques like DI and wash away the stupid moments, and I have myself a respectable Wolf.

You know there're two videos, right? I got two-stocked the second match.
Lol, it's not courtesy. I also partially felt that since all the time things I pointed out were negative, I should mention the good things at the end :p You know your stuff, but I think that you still need some more practice applying it, such as DI for example.

Two videos? Lol the only one I watched was the one you linked under June 9th, too lazy to bother if it's not linked x_x Should I watch another video?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, I got ***** harder, I don't know what else to say. We were even, but I had one of those...accidents... Know how you can fsmash a shielded opponent and fall off the edge? Yeah... Pretty gay.

You can watch it if you want. There was something about it that I liked more than the first. And no, not the rapeage.

Actually, my DI just got crazy. (Just played Gstainc again). Hopefully I can display it in a video.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
Well, I got ***** harder, I don't know what else to say. We were even, but I had one of those...accidents... Know how you can fsmash a shielded opponent and fall off the edge? Yeah... Pretty gay.

You can watch it if you want. There was something about it that I liked more than the first. And no, not the rapeage.

Actually, my DI just got crazy. (Just played Gstainc again). Hopefully I can display it in a video.
Oh god more limited internet access.

Its your DI and movement in the air not being in synch with your bairs and lousy mistakes you're making. Like, you're not bairing correctly. I guarantee you that you'd be 2 stocking this Peach every game if your bair game was much better. That, and more lasers to add pressure against her while she tries to turnip. That and an ending dsmash for the 100% over ko. And the lousy mistakes with recovering and side stepping and shining?

Shine is a move that shouldn't be tried against peach due to her floatyness lmao. She requires alooooooooooot of bairs because she's almost always at a good position to be baired when not shielding. I've had players like Dark Peach and King Beef eat my boot because I was agressive and fast with bairs. I made my OWN bair my shine in this match up and countered their PLAYSTLYE LOL. Peach just doesn't have the right moves to counter bair, and the laser being better than her turnips make things worse. Yeah I think Wolf just manhandles Peach entirely.

Just don't spam SHFF bair and start learning to DJ bairs and basically use bair at any given area besides short hopping height. ITS THE BEST MOVE USE IT AND NOT TRY TO BE UNIQUE WITH STUPID THINGS.

lmao I forget what city im in right now but its 5 A.M. and there are ALOOOOT of roosters which I keep hearing loool.

Just don't do stupid things and bair

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Its your DI and movement in the air not being in synch with your bairs and lousy mistakes you're making. Like, you're not bairing correctly. I guarantee you that you'd be 2 stocking this Peach every game if your bair game was much better. That, and more lasers to add pressure against her while she tries to turnip. That and an ending dsmash for the 100% over ko. And the lousy mistakes with recovering and side stepping and shining?
Lasers I understand, but how am I bairing "incorrectly"? Could you be more elaborate?

As for recovery, I could definitely do better (DIing to be in a better position to recovery), but that last stock of the second match was unavoidable unless I'd anticipated sliding off the edge.

Shine is a move that shouldn't be tried against peach due to her floatyness lmao. She requires alooooooooooot of bairs because she's almost always at a good position to be baired when not shielding. I've had players like Dark Peach and King Beef eat my boot because I was agressive and fast with bairs. I made my OWN bair my shine in this match up and countered their PLAYSTLYE LOL. Peach just doesn't have the right moves to counter bair, and the laser being better than her turnips make things worse. Yeah I think Wolf just manhandles Peach entirely.
What? She definitely does have the right move. Her fair reaches farther than our bair does. And it's incredible irritating. The only thing you can do is get your fair out first. But I do agree with laser, it'll ruin her. That's definitely something I can do better.

Thanks for the advice. Correct me if you'd like if I missed something.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Fair has just a little more reach, however if you think it's incredibly irritating then you are wayyy too slow. If the hitbox is only a little bigger than it definitely doesn't mean much, because Peach's Fair has start up lag, and alot of it. Bair comes out right away, so basically....Fair cannot win against Wolf users who use bair enough and fast. Peach's fairs are countered by bair before it even comes out.

Bairing incorrectly as in "doing alot of bairs in a single style and not in multiple ways, and not fast enough." Like double jumps and any other area in the air. It's a little hard to explain but you just need to improve it.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Yes, Fair has just a little more reach, however if you think it's incredibly irritating then you are wayyy too slow. If the hitbox is only a little bigger than it definitely doesn't mean much, because Peach's Fair has start up lag, and alot of it. Bair comes out right away, so basically....Fair cannot win against Wolf users who use bair enough and fast. Peach's fairs are countered by bair before it even comes out.

Bairing incorrectly as in "doing alot of bairs in a single style and not in multiple ways, and not fast enough." Like double jumps and any other area in the air. It's a little hard to explain but you just need to improve it.
I understand the "get yours out first" thing. I've experienced seeing the beginning of fair as I bair, so I know that. I wanted to make sure we both knew it had more range.

But I don't understand one thing: mixing up bair. Every video I've seen, it's the basic DJ bair. I never see mix-ups. It's either that or SHFF bair, and it's not meshed up. What don't I understand?

Would anyone recommend triple bair? I don't like it, but I'm not sure how it works out for you all.

Top Bottom