• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystery Dungeon--The PT Interview Thread: TYPH

Vermy

Smash Champion
how is the competition in the land down under?
Competition is good. But not competitive enough. We're still in the "friendship" phaze and haven't quite gotten ruthless enough yet. But with the plethora of MKs coming up in the ranks, I can see our competitive scene getting more aggressive.

Ever want to come over to the states to see where you would match up?
Tbh, I'd rather go to the states and play competitive SF4. I'm a lot better at that than I am in Brawl. But in the event that I had the opportunity to go to a major, I definitely would. Since I'd know my chances would be slim, I'd go 100% PT, just to see what Americans do differently when faced against a PT. Myself and Toby are pretty much the only PTs in Australia anymore, and we're a dying breed. Disappoints me. =/

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
TKO is up this week.

I'll compile the answers to previous weeks later this week, everyone.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
lol ok im ready...and i have some pretty funny/amazing vids coming up today hopefully if i can find the right replays...

anyway

ASK AWAY!!!!

T-block

B2B TST
What's your favourite matchup and why?
What's your least favourite matchup and why?
What is PT's worst matchup in your opinion?
What is your favourite stage to CP to, if the matchup doesn't strongly call for a specific stage?
Is there one move, sequence of moves, or specific tactic that you think other PTs should be doing more?

^^

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
1.What's your favourite matchup and why?
its Between D3 and DK because squirtle gets massive combos on both of them but i still have to play cautious because they kill so early...and as far as d3 and chaingrab...when d3s miss grabs against my ivysaur and charizard they get punished pretty hard...DK is just a fun match to me all around...and its funny spiking him with charizard because of his super obvious recovery

2.What's your least favourite matchup and why?
Olimar....and thats just because i hate playing against olimar in general

3.What is PT's worst matchup in your opinion?
i have trouble with toon links outside of squirtle but i would think his worst matchup would be...probably falco??? (not including MK)

4.What is your favourite stage to CP to, if the matchup doesn't strongly call for a specific stage?
i always go to smashville...if pirateship was legal I'd Go there or pictochat because i love those levels

5.Is there one move, sequence of moves, or specific tactic that you think other PTs should be doing more?

ftilt ->reverse hydroplanned upsmash

charizards need more N-airs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1-SJbieu3s

ivysaurs...i havent quite seen an underused ivysaur move...however if you aren't vinewhipping...please do so

and my favorite pokemon is obviously squirtle with wartortle being a close second...and then blaizken third (blastoise isnt that cool)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
TKO, what are you doing in your life outside of Smash?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

What's "The TKO Show"?

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
1.TKO, what are you doing in your life outside of Smash?
outside of smash i work for the army as a calibration technician (civilian job) its oer 20 an hour so im set as far as world wide traveling and stuff

i have a gilfriend (who actually plays smash...shes not that good tho) she be on the boards sometimes but not really...her gamertag name thing is reset (or L-R-A-Start)

I dont go out much anymore because MD sucks...i only go out when i travel to other states

hobbys besides smash=dancing singing and being a frontman on rock band /guitar hero because being the front man is so fun!!

2.Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
i may or may not quit smash...in 5 years i will be 25/26 see it all depends

i should be atleast engaged to reset if everything goes well (which it is)

still working for the army and probably mad like 6 or 7 promotions by then

3.What's "The TKO Show"?
the TKO show is my ustream show where i play games and stuff...i have a bunch of wii game but i only really play brawl and new releases for the fans enjoyment I have an xbox and also play xbox games from time to time

i also stream (or did stream) most of md/va tourneys and sassys smashfest

Umby

Smash Master
1) How do you feel about having to drive other people to Smash events?

2) Do you think you have what it takes to host a large-scale Smash tournament? Why/Why not?

3) Let people know about NB+L.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
1) How do you feel about having to drive other people to Smash events?
I dont like awkward moments in the car so i would never drive people i dont know unless they were brought by someone i did know...but i quit driving other people to smash events because nigahz is mad ungrateful...there has been times when everyone in the car would have a license and i would be mad tired but they would be like "well we tired too" when they got to sleep in the car on the way to the event and back....

2) Do you think you have what it takes to host a large-scale Smash tournament? Why/Why not?
nope...because i would be a bad TO i kno that i wouldnt finish any of my tourneys on time...lol

3) Let people know about NB+L
NB+L!!
(***** brawlers + L_cancel)...its a movement...for all ***** brawlers or people who just wish to become ***** brawlers or unless you are L_Cancel
Group tag
NB+L~

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
1.What's your favorite number and why?
7 because its my birth month and good things happen in 7's....

2.Do the symbols =o, n_nb, :3, or (poolparty) mean anything to you? If so, what?
it means L_cancel is trolling way to much...therefore i need to leave a certain area

btw this is the girlfriend guys...

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
1.What's your favorite number and why?
7 because its my birth month and good things happen in 7's....

2.Do the symbols =o, n_nb, :3, or (poolparty) mean anything to you? If so, what?
it means L_cancel is trolling way to much...therefore i need to leave a certain area

btw this is the girlfriend guys...
I never thought I'd see the day.

But really, If you could place each Pokemon in their own tier where would you place them. Doesnt need to be specific, just high... bottom of low tier.... middle of middle tier....
And Do you agree with Ness being an easy character to beat.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
TKO

1. When did you start on smashboards since I've been dying to find out Atlantic north PT's?
2. How much do you think watergun camping is gonna play a role into squirtle's playstyle against high tiers as brawl gains time?
3. Whats the best use and followup to zard's n-air?
4. Could you please answer me as to where you got some of your textures from?

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I never thought I'd see the day.

But really, If you could place each Pokemon in their own tier where would you place them. Doesnt need to be specific, just high... bottom of low tier.... middle of middle tier....
And Do you agree with Ness being an easy character to beat.
Squirtle would be like Mid B tierish...but he would have a lot of good or not so bad matchups (the grabrelease really doesnt matter that much to me)
Charizard would be mid tier because he is pretty good as a stand alone character
ivy would be bottom of the mid tier or top of the low tier...ivysaur isnt that bad...on stage
plus theres only a couple times i really see recovery with ivy as super impossible anyway

and no ness is not an easy character to beat...i suck against ness getting the grab is kinda hard against a ness who actually realizes thats what he needs to stay away from

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
TKO

1. When did you start on smashboards since I've been dying to find out Atlantic north PT's?
2. How much do you think watergun camping is gonna play a role into squirtle's playstyle against high tiers as brawl gains time?
3. Whats the best use and followup to zard's n-air?
4. Could you please answer me as to where you got some of your textures from?
my bad dude...lol

1. the first time i really posted on the pt boards was when i found that hydro stall stuff
i was a falco main b4 but i got bored of him and then started maining pt like 6 months ago

2. no...watergun is good and all but the fact that they can just shield to avoid pushback...makes it kinda not that useful of a strategy IMO....i mean i keep my watergun charged but i dont camp with it

3. nair >grab seems to work pretty well but i only really use nair when coming down because of the spike being obvious and because of where the hitbox starts...i also use it of of a short hop if someone is over me but i dont want to use u-air because of lag
also n-air out of shield when someone is behind you (you know that spot behind charizard when it seems like there is nothing he can do)

that bowser texture u want is on kittycorp (type in bowser junior in search bar)
other then that i get my textures from elite smash hackers and kitty corp

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Any chance you could link me to the bowser jr. texture tko man......I can't find the search bar at kitty corp, but I might just be special. So lemme get a lil help LOL

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Any chance you could link me to the bowser jr. texture tko man......I can't find the search bar at kitty corp, but I might just be special. So lemme get a lil help LOL
Bring it to PMs. You're technically not allowed to discuss hacking Wiis on Smashboards.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
textures and the like are okay, like music, it's just the actual methods of hacking and allowing these things on the wii in the first place that are banned afaik. the texture/music files are okay, the homebrew installation files are not.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol well now that thats settled if you get a chance TKO please respond to my original post about where the search bar is on kitty corp

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Haha well before questions start guys you all can refer to me as **** or CoonTail, hell even Brian works lol
But as zigsta said ask away guys

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Alrighty Ice Ice Baby, where'd you get your name from?

You've been to some pretty large tournaments in your area. How do you stack up with PR players there?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
hey coony, what is your favorite pokemon and why?
That would have to be NidoKing because ever since I saw him in red and blue I instantly was like "wow your absolutly bad ***" but the problem was back in red and blue he was really aweful. Now with 4th gen around and all the physical and special splits hes managed to sneak under the radar.
I am a huge fan of non generic or rogue kinds of builds in videogames, that compete with the top of the meta game but are not noticed because people never looked into it. In 4th gen with rivalry and life-orb, Nidoking has a 552 attack stat with a move pool thats super effective against 14 elements(yes just as many as weavile can hit), along with 295 speed so in tailwind its 590 so yea I've blown alot of minds in pokemon with that.

Not to mention my favorite gamertag or smash phrase spans from NidoKing
NK > MK hahahaha

T-block

B2B TST
ICE COOOOOOOOON

What is your favourite stage to CP to, if the matchup doesn't strongly call for a specific stage?
Is there one move, sequence of moves, or specific tactic that you think other PTs should be doing more?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
ICE COOOOOOOOON

My favorite matchup is Snake honestly and the only reason I say this is because snake is one of PT's worst matchups if the PT main hasn't had a real encounter with a snake yet. A good snake player forces a PT to not make mistakes and learn the matchup as quick as possible. Ive played alot of snake mains and the more I play the more I notice flaws in my playstyle. The more I play snake the more I see PT really being able to win in this matchup.

My least favorite matchup is obviously marth... the matchup is near impossible one mistake and your screwed. With squirtle it's worse than playing IC's because now your d-air is not nearly as useful to stop CG's. Marth's grab release on squirtle only has to worry about platforms and even then it doesn't have to a spike it can lead to a tipped f-smash its jus ugh. A 0-50% on zard and ivy being Ivy. BEST CASE scenario this is a 6:4 if you play zard like a pro and have perfect space with squirtle and anti grab game. AKA being better than reflex.
This is PT's worst matchup hands down.

My favorite stage to CP is castle seige honestly....I love the opening portion it has small sides and allows squirtle to combo ALOT easier because they have no where to run....not to mention Im working on magik's hydrogimp and its awesome of CS because of the little edge nook on the right side. You can get easy grab kills on the edge of the second portion with all 3 pokes. Plus zard and squirtle can abuse the edges for easy kills. Overall I like the stage alot for just easier gimps and the fact that the whole second portion of the stage you cant be ivy gimped *YAY*.

The sequence of moves sections I'll try not to make enormus but there is ALOT. First off I don't see anyone grab release with zard cmon guys just mindgame and read a bit. I've been doing this for so long and when Lain is complementing ME on this you might wanna try it. Second I think squirtle's n-air into jab combo is wonderful, if you getting spaced or zoned hard just throw a n-air but instead of hitting you opp with it fall short and jab combo. Lastly wavebouncing flamethrower and rocksmash with zard is ALOT better than people think......you can start to retreat with flamethrower than wavebounce and completely cover the opp chasing you in flames. Its the same story with rocksmash so use it more. And obv you guys didnt think you were getting away with me not mentioning Rocksmash counter attack, Ive countered a fully charged DK punch with it and the game literally had a bright blue hitbox out for a good 10 seconds. ROCKSMASH COUNTER MOAR!!!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
c00n
<
(----)

Does playing another character in brawl better help you play PT at all? If so who is it and why?
Well I just started playing marth and its making me understand just how freaking insanely good marth really is....hes got outstanding reach and unbelieveable followups and combos. Overall it has helped in the marth matchup a large amount because I now know what marth mains are looking for combo wise and what they will follow up with. So the more I play marth the more I get in the marth mindset and start to see as I play a marth what the next move will be.

I only get scared because playing him is so unbelieveably fun I'm not gonna second him because then its like why not main him but it is becoming a predicament.

bigman40

Smash Master
How tough has it been going against other players in your region with just PT?

Do you normally have more trouble from a loss of MU inexperience or just
being outplayed?

Disregarding the predicament of playing higher character and having the feeling of maining them, have you been able to take certain parts in other characters games and use them for PT? How have these certain parts been able to increase the potential of your PT game (or overall game)?

How have you been able to handle losses of stage control & momentum during crucial moments, and how does it affect you normally when you lose these factors?

:)

CoonTail

Smash Lord
-bigman40 I didn't want to quote your whole post so in response

-It has been pretty tough going PT only against my region because I play with the number 4 and 5 players in new york so I'm practicing with some of the much better players. Tournies in NY are pretty rough too because of jersey also so alot of our region is present.

-I mainly have trouble with MU inexperience because Ive learned how to play against only a handful of characters. I have great Snake, MK, GnW, marth, and Ike experience. So I get some help from learning matchups, but against the best in New York I deffinitly do get outplayed sometimes.

-Playing as marth has actually just helped me practice general strategy, I've gotten much better at camping, powershielding, and just really properly spacing since marth generally does a great job of this. So I have deffinitly became a much more percise player. Playing marth has honestly cleaned up my PT game the most because if my marth starts doing better than my PT that means Im slacking way to hard and really need to step it up because it's my main.

-I have been able to handle the losses of stage control and momentum have mainly been due to learning how to handle my anger. I notice alot of people don't respond to their anger properly and its taken as long as I've played to really learn how to. I play a character that is lower tier for a reason there are flaws in my character and I have to play much better to get around this disadvantage.
I have deffinitly been affected when I lose those factors because Im still at a level where it means losing the match so learning how to control my anger has honestly given me that comeback capability to start winning in really one sided situations.

Top Bottom