• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Considering the high chances of a Tekken char in the game I'm saying: Why not Lili & Roger Jr.?
I stumbled today in this artwork of their new alt costume for Tekken 6:

At first I was "WTFLOL!?
But then I was "NOT BAD!"
They are they are stylish, they are funny and they remind me of Cubone. This reminded me of the close relationship between Nintendo and Namco. So suddenly I thought of them in the game in this outfit and I was "SORT OF WANT".
Cubone->Marrowak->That thing

Chonobound, great post. That has to be the most informative post on this thread, if not forum.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I DID mention him:
We should consider even this guy:

He was frigging hardcore already back then (inflating enemies till they explodes).
And look at his badass version from Namco X Capcom:

Thought he would be fine even in his original looking.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I DID mention him:
Well pardon me then. A moveset I saved from an old friend of mine

Name:
Taizo Hori

Game of Origin:
Dig Dug

Nintendo Appearance:
Dig Dug for the Game Boy

Nicknames:
DigDug, Dad, Hori San/Mr. Hori, Mr. Chairman, Old Fool

Species:
Human

Alignment:
Good

Type:
Heavyweight (because of his big gun, oyeah 8D)

Character Stats:
HP: 125 PP: 8 LP: 6

Residence:
Future Japan (Year 20XX)

Personal Relationships:
Susumu (Mr. Driller)- Son
Ataru- Son
Toby "Kissy" Masuyo- His Ex-Wife

Driller, Chairman of the Driller Council, Adventurer

Special Moveset:

Standard Attack: P Harpoon- Taizo performs his trademark move; He shoots his harpoon at an enemy and pumps them full of air. If they don't break free first, they will be continued to be pumped for 4 turns (which by then they will be filled to their limit and have received the maximum damage).

Upward Attack: (R) Long Harpoon- Taizo shoots out a longer form of his harpoon. With it, he can grab onto edges and enemies and then climb back onto the stage or bring them close respectively.

Downward Attack: Block Pop- Taizo's drill produces a block of dirt in front of him. It is used as a shield and breaks after absorbing one enemy attack.

Side Attack: Double Drill- Taizo dives forward and drills into enemies. He can only move horizontally left and right while performing this move.

Final Smash: Classic Mode- The screen is warped into that of the classic Dig Dug arcade game. All the players are turned into tiny sprites of themselves and placed in tunnels, where there they wait for Taizo to come and blow them up. Unlike his standard special attack, once the enemies are swollen to the limit, they are KO'd. When time runs out or all the enemies are KO'd (once) the screen returns to its original appearance.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Namco reps, it's Pac-Man or nobody at all.
Wanna know why ?.....*BS*
Regardless of what anyone says, this is a poor excuse. Any other reasoning posted in this thread or within the realm of other boards in supportin Pac-Man is, but this? It really isn't

Sakurai added Olimar not because of miyamoto, but because it was the most relevant and recent IP Nintendo has, in addition to having support from fans. That's it. This is being directed by Sakurai, not miyamoto :cool:

Miyamoto's bias won't have an affect on this, nor will Sakamoto's, Nomura's, or anyone else for that matter (excluding the Pokemon Company due to Poster Boy Movie pokemon like Lucario, mainly for the purpose of advertising themselves at that time)

And this is coming from a Smash fan and a supporter of Pac-man >_>

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually, Sakurai has said in an interview somewhere that Miyamoto generally gets whoever he wants as far as Smash goes.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Actually, Sakurai has said in an interview somewhere that Miyamoto generally gets whoever he wants as far as Smash goes.
I think that was Miyamoto saying he could get whatever he wants in Smash and it was obviously a joke.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I had the basic idea...sort of. Bah.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Please, please no Namco characters. Especially a Tekken or Soul Calibur character. Please. I'd be down with Pac-Man, as much as of a gaming icon as he is, but even then I'd rather give a potential slot to most anyone else.

If an effing Tekken character is in this game, I will become inconsolably apathetic. It should not happen. At all.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm betting Heiachi gets in. I still can't spell his name I'm sure.

If not him, Kazuya.

I'm afraid a Tekken character is inevitable. Despite how much I dislike it

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I doubt Sakurai will go with a fighting game character unless enough fans push for them.

Pac-Man is still the best choice though. (at least in my opinion)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Please, please no Namco characters. Especially a Tekken or Soul Calibur character. Please. I'd be down with Pac-Man, as much as of a gaming icon as he is, but even then I'd rather give a potential slot to most anyone else.

If an effing Tekken character is in this game, I will become inconsolably apathetic. It should not happen. At all.

Hmm... I'm going to have to agree with this.

If there's a 3rd party NAMCO character they must include, then it is imperative that they choose the most famous one of all.

I know Tekken characters are famous to the gaming crowd ranging from casual onward, but PAC-MAN is beyond famous. He's a pop-culture icon, and a videogame icon to boot.

If any Namco character deserves to be a playable character, that's Pac-man.

Besides, Heihachi is already representing Tekken in PS-AS-BR, wouldn't make too much sense to represent a game that reeks SONY...
... at least not again. :p

Soul Calibur, I love it, though it's only had, if my memory serves me right, just ONE game on Nintendo consoles.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

I harbor no interest in a Namco-Bandai rep. None at all. I'll accept Pac-Man due to how iconic he is, but even then I find him to be a boring choice.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
What soothes my soul is that Harada said this. But the fact that flip flopped a bit on the Tekken character stance is worrisome.

"[People who don't want Tekken characters] don't exactly need Tekken characters in Smash Bros., so it's kind of complex."

No it isn't, Harada. Don't put them in the game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Tekken characters have no business being in Smash. As far as Namco characters go, the only characters who have any business being playable are Pac-man, Lloyd Irving, or Kalas.

Seriously guys, the Namco guys are basically just code monkeys.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hmm... I'm going to have to agree with this.

If there's a 3rd party NAMCO character they must include, then it is imperative that they choose the most famous one of all.

I know Tekken characters are famous to the gaming crowd ranging from casual onward, but PAC-MAN is beyond famous. He's a pop-culture icon, and a videogame icon to boot.

If any Namco character deserves to be a playable character, that's Pac-man.

Besides, Heihachi is already representing Tekken in PS-AS-BR, wouldn't make too much sense to represent a game that reeks SONY...
... at least not again. :p

Soul Calibur, I love it, though it's only had, if my memory serves me right, just ONE game on Nintendo consoles.
Actually, there has been two of them.

I would personally love to see Nightmare from Soul Calibur in Smash but that is just me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since it's the Tekken team working on the game, they are probably leaning toward a Tekken character.

We need to let them know it's pac-man we want. Somehow

D

Deleted member

Since it's the Tekken team working on the game, they are probably leaning toward a Tekken character.

We need to let them know it's pac-man we want. Somehow
They've already said they won't put in a Tekken character unless Sakurai asks them.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
I don't see the appeal to Pac-Man. His moveset would be super awkward and would end up among the ranks of G&W and ROB as one of those characters no ever uses unless they are messing around. If you disagree thats fine, but I can't see anybody I know playing as pac-man. I am pro Lloyd Irving myself. Then again, huge tales fan.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I personally don't see how it would be awkward, per say. The PacMan World games offer quite a bit to choose from as far as moves.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I don't see the appeal to Pac-Man. His moveset would be super awkward and would end up among the ranks of G&W and ROB as one of those characters no ever uses unless they are messing around. If you disagree thats fine, but I can't see anybody I know playing as pac-man. I am pro Lloyd Irving myself. Then again, huge tales fan.
Please tell us how it would be awkward. (because im kind of curious to see some reasoning)

I personally don't see how it would be awkward, per say. The PacMan World games offer quite a bit to choose from as far as moves.
Also this.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Your problem, and of other people, is that you keep seeing SSB as a conventional fighting game, which is not!
Super Smash Bros. is the Parodius of fighting games. Part of his success derivated even by the weirdness of it's characters, because some people want just to play crazy.
However, Pacman is serious business, SEEERIOUS BUSINESS! And if Namco is not going to let their #1 mascot being in the game without it being more than competitive, uncaring of how much weird he might be, as long as he's not using his nose as a dildo. THAT would be awkward!!

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Your problem, and of other people, is that you keep seeing SSB as a conventional fighting game, which is not!
Super Smash Bros. is the Parodius of fighting games. Part of his success derivated even by the weirdness of it's characters, because some people want just to play crazy.
However, Pacman is serious business, SEEERIOUS BUSINESS! And if Namco is not going to let their #1 mascot being in the game without it being more than competitive, uncaring of how much weird he might be, as long as he's not using his nose as a dildo. THAT would be awkward!!
I feel the word competitive fits in more then conventional in that sentence. Pacman is far from serious business, the best attack layouts I have seen involve using obscure items like his slingshot. The attacks should be iconic. He would end up having weird attacks that make no sense. I am all for adding crazy characters, I love wario. But crazy is dangerously close to stupid, and then nobody likes him. I don't want a wasted spot on my limited roster for someone I only want to play against so I can beat up.

@8-peacock-8
Well he is a ball with arms which means even his basic combos would involve either arm stretching or turning his body. Both of these sound slow. Plus pacman's air based combat would be all kiddy-whompas. He just seems slow and would have dumb moves like pulling out the slingshot that only made an appearance or two. Maybe i'm wrong but he seems slow and delayed.

D

Deleted member

1. Smash is not serious business to begin with, with it's cast of characters. I mean, you got an Italian plumber, an elf swordsman, an electric rat, a pink puffball vacuum, a super fast cartoon hedgehog, etc.
2. Pac-Man has plenty to work with. Play Pac-Man World 2.
3. Did you ever notice that every cartoonish character in Brawl stretches their body parts or "turns" their body when they even attack? Yes, this includes Mario.
You know who has it worse than Pac-Man? Jigglypuff. The thing's hands and feet are nothing but stubs, to which Pac-Man is lucky to have actual arms and legs. If Jigglypuff can work, Pac-Man sure as Hell can as well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not about if he'd have a good moveset. He's a legend

Also ROB is awesome

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
Pac-Man (sigh) is a circle with a pizza slice cut out. He was designed as an arcade game character, not a platformer. He later had arms and legs added on. It's like attaching legs to a slug. It may work. The thing might even walk, but that doesn't make it a good idea. He was mutilated from his original image to fit into a genre he was never meant to be in.

That said, does Pac-Man deserve to be in this game? Of course. Pac-Man is one of the most iconic and well-known video game characters in the world. But do the majority of people actually want to play as Pac-Man? Maybe a handful of fanatics and going to jump in on the next post saying, "Yes! I do! I do!" but I'm pretty sure most people will pick him once to say they tried him and then never play him again. (Might I remind you of his appearance in Street Fighter x Tekken.)

I think it would be much smarter of Nintendo and Namco to pay tribute to the character in another way like adding a Pac-Man stage or using some Pac-Man music or best of all making him an assist trophy! But of course, being Namco's mascot, I'm sure he'll be playable in the game regardless of what anyone says.

Rif-Raf

Smash Rookie
Tekken, no
Soul Calibur, no
The black rabit cat thing (Klonoa?), yes
Pac-Man, maybe
Digimon, no

So far I'm not liking the choices, most don't "fit", then again thats what we thought with Snake and look how awesome that turned out.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
When I said "serious" I didn't mean in the austeric way of the term. I meant that Pacman is something BIG to deal with it and Namco is not going to let him being a scrap like Dan in the Street Fighter series (as to know Capcom intentionally made him lame because Dan was a spoof of Ryo Sakatazki and Robert Garcia from Art Of Fighting).

Tekken, no
Soul Calibur, no
The black rabit cat thing (Klonoa?), yes
Pac-Man, maybe
Digimon, no

So far I'm not liking the choices, most don't "fit", then again thats what we thought with Snake and look how awesome that turned out.
Yeah! Thought it helps the fact that Snake, even in his own games, was often indulging in funny moments, and without losing his temper, which made them more hilarious.
As for your list, I partially agree.

Tekken, only if it's Lily and Roger Jr., and with their newest alt costume
Soul Calibur, no
Klonoa, yes
Pac-Man, yes
Digimon, only if it's Renamon.

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
If there is going to be a Tekken or Soul Calibur representative, it should be Yoshimitsu. Not because he is a character that could represent two series with one character (that's just a fortunate coincidence), but because he is one of the only characters in these series that could easily fit the Smash Bros universe.

First off, his look is not ultra realistic like a lot of the other characters are. His mask gives him a much more fantasy look that would still look very good if it was made a bit more cartoony.

Also his moves are easily translatable into specials, which is not always an easy task with Tekken or SC Characters. Just a quick easy example of a moveset could be:

Up+B: Spins blade over his head like a helicopter, carrying him into the air.

Down+B: Teleport (where he sits on the ground and spins)
Neutral+B: Poison Breath. Exhales a cloud of gas that stuns the opponent.
Forward+B: Spinning Back Knuckle. The player could press down after initiating the spin to go into the crouching version.

Not to mention his Vacuum Dance or Sword Pogo which could be incorporated somewhere.

He could also use his Kangaroo Kick as his dash attack which would launch the opponent into the air.

He could also have his Meditation be his down taunt and his suicide be his up taunt. They could heal and damage him a few percentage each.

Also this.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I see your Yoshimitsu and i raise it with my Nightmare.

The perfect 3rd party villain that perfectly fits the mold of not fitting in YET perfectly fits in. Plus his image is in the logo for Project SOUL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom