• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For some reason, I think Ivysaur is female. I can't remember where I heard it though.
It's because Ivysaur has a feminie voice in the Japanese version of Brawl.

Maaaaaan. Ive been supporting Pacman since pre brawl, and now he has a chance, but people STILL don't give a **** nor particularly want him. I mean....Pacman, man! The legacy!
Because frankly, Pac-man is kind of boring for a lot of people. He garners respect, but not enough interest.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
If pac man were to be in brawl in anyway it should be a stage or assist trophy. Partly because hardly anyone is a fan of the 3d pacman. The old classic pacman arcade game is the only thing popular about him and all references should keep him in his simple, 2D, pixelated, pizza-shaped, form.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If pac man were to be in brawl in anyway it should be a stage or assist trophy. Partly because hardly anyone is a fan of the 3d pacman. The old classic pacman arcade game is the only thing popular about him and all references should keep him in his simple, 2D, pixelated, pizza-shaped, form.
Ms. Pac-Man can be the assist and Pac-Man could still be a character. Also, it doesn't matter if people are hardly a fan of the 3D games or not. They will draw moves from his appearances or even make original moves for him.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Maaaaaan. Ive been supporting Pacman since pre brawl, and now he has a chance, but people STILL don't give a **** nor particularly want him. I mean....Pacman, man! The legacy!
What would his attacks be?! Eat people and what else? xD

edit: Actually the Rally-X go-kart I came up with for Taizo Hori would make sense for Pac-Man as well.

So that's 2 right there.
Rally-X go-kart
eating people

The last 2 moves can be pulled from his party game. Maybe he'd throw pizza pies as his projectile.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

edit: Actually the Rally-X go-kart I came up with for Taizo Hori would make sense for Pac-Man as well.

So that's 2 right there.
Rally-X go-kart
eating people

The last 2 moves can be pulled from his party game. Maybe he'd throw pizza pies as his projectile.
Look in earlier pages of the thread. You'll find some good movesets inspired by the games.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

So that's 2 right there.
Rally-X go-kart
eating people

How about doing some research.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
It's because Ivysaur has a feminie voice in the Japanese version of Brawl.

Because frankly, Pac-man is kind of boring for a lot of people. He garners respect, but not enough interest.
Kinda like Superman.

on one hand, you got a point in that they usually use the Pizza Look(see: Wreck-it Ralph.) on the other hand, I don't think they will go with the classic style, mind. I mean look at Sonic and Pit, neither one of them had their classic looks and there was little to no complaining there.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Well pardon me then. A moveset I saved from an old friend of mine

Name:
Taizo Hori

Game of Origin:
Dig Dug

Nintendo Appearance:
Dig Dug for the Game Boy

Nicknames:
DigDug, Dad, Hori San/Mr. Hori, Mr. Chairman, Old Fool

Species:
Human

Alignment:
Good

Type:
Heavyweight (because of his big gun, oyeah 8D)

Character Stats:
HP: 125 PP: 8 LP: 6

Residence:
Future Japan (Year 20XX)

Personal Relationships:
Susumu (Mr. Driller)- Son
Ataru- Son
Toby "Kissy" Masuyo- His Ex-Wife

Driller, Chairman of the Driller Council, Adventurer

Special Moveset:

Standard Attack: P Harpoon- Taizo performs his trademark move; He shoots his harpoon at an enemy and pumps them full of air. If they don't break free first, they will be continued to be pumped for 4 turns (which by then they will be filled to their limit and have received the maximum damage).

Upward Attack: (R) Long Harpoon- Taizo shoots out a longer form of his harpoon. With it, he can grab onto edges and enemies and then climb back onto the stage or bring them close respectively.

Downward Attack: Block Pop- Taizo's drill produces a block of dirt in front of him. It is used as a shield and breaks after absorbing one enemy attack.

Side Attack: Double Drill- Taizo dives forward and drills into enemies. He can only move horizontally left and right while performing this move.

Final Smash: Classic Mode- The screen is warped into that of the classic Dig Dug arcade game. All the players are turned into tiny sprites of themselves and placed in tunnels, where there they wait for Taizo to come and blow them up. Unlike his standard special attack, once the enemies are swollen to the limit, they are KO'd. When time runs out or all the enemies are KO'd (once) the screen returns to its original appearance.
This is great as a moveset.
But I just realized something. Although I tried to take inspiration from the Mr. Driller universe version of Taizo, I ended up including a Dig Dug-inspired attack that the above quote left out: Fygar's fire.

Also, is it just me, or is "Block pop" a reference to Mr. Driller? If so then wicked.

CalumG

Smash Lord
The trick to putting Pac-Man into Smash wouldn't be whether or not Pac-Man should be his new design or his old design - but how the team can convince us that there was never any difference in the first place. That is to say, Pac-Man should look like his newer design, but when you're playing as him it should feel like you're playing as the Pac-Man everybody has known and loved since the 80's. He should quietly make that annoying little 8-bit 'waka-waka' noise when you walk or dash, he should have disjointed animations and hitboxes a la Game & Watch or Wario, and he should be light (gotta be fast enough to get around mazes after all).

I can't say what I'd like to have for Pac-Man's Special Moves, but for his Up-B at least I'd like to see him in a mode where you can move him in a limited fashion but in all four directions, for a certain amount of time. Almost like how he controls in the original arcade game, even. For at least one of his B moves, a few of his standard attacks and his Grab-Pummel, Pac-Man would do moves in which he chews on his opponent, like Wario does for his neutral B. However, Pac-Man's bites would inflict his opponents with a sort of blue version of Ganon's/Master Hands' Darkness, reminiscent of the ghosts and their exposed blue forms in the original Pac-Man game.

Then of course, for his other moves he should have a butt-stomp to represent his newer games, and he should definitely have one of the best rolls of all the characters. Pac-Man's role in the roster could be a kind of character who has very good movement on both the X and Y axis, but doesn't deal a whole lot of damage out, a symbolic representation of the fact that in the original game, Pac-Man could move from top to bottom and left to right with ease but had little power without a Power Pellet to fuel him. It'd be pretty cute/cool if one of his taunts was him pulling out a random fruit and eating it, with it potentially being any one of the many fruits Pac-Man loves.

As for Pac-Man's stage, that's a bit more up-in-the-air. Ideally it'd be something visually inspired by Pac-Man Championship, but a bit picky with where they place platforms so it doesn't become one big mess. Maybe it could have a big neon Namco-themed city in the background too, if they wanted to throw in that kind of fanservice.

All in all, that's what I'd like to see from Pac-Man - a bit of old and a bit of new. After all, when you're playing as Mario in Brawl, do you feel like you're playing as 'new Mario'? No, you just feel like you're playing as Mario. Making a Smash character is about balancing the essence of that character, not just prioritizing either the old version of the character (for nostalgia) or the newest iteration (for marketing/being 'up-to-date'). People who state that Pac-Man doesn't have potential as a character clearly aren't aware of the almost colossal amount of source material he could reference.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I am trying to do a thing. I want to compile a list of not 4, but 12 special moves for Taizo Hori and the Mr. Driller cast.
The purpose is twofold - The first purpose is so Susumu can have strictly Driller universe moves, whereas Taizo can have just Dig Dug based moves, or a combination of Dig Dug and Mr. Driller.
The 2nd purpose for coming up with 3 moves for each direciton is simply so the best 2 out of the 3 moves can be used.

I am including MasterMushroom's ideas.

upward
1) Taizo shoots out a longer form of his harpoon. With it, he can grab onto edges and enemies and then climb back onto the stage or bring them close respectively.
2) Susumu dies, his angelic ghost flies up, leaving his body and temporarily gaining flight. The angelic ghost then becomes his real body. (ok this is really weird move.. it seemed like a better in my head for some reason. But in the actual games, his dead body is the one that comes back to life.)
3) Jetpack used as a recovery move. (makes sense since Susumu's mom is the protagonist from Baraduke, and the endless stage in Driller games take place in space.)

downward
1) Block Pop- Place a block of dirt (or a colored Mr. Driller block) in front of him. It is used as a shield and breaks after absorbing one enemy attack. (optional idea: has a 1 in 5 chance of being a brown X-block, which absorbs 5 attacks instead of one.

side / neutral
1) Taizo performs his trademark move; He shoots his harpoon at an enemy and pumps them full of air.
2) Fygar's fire. (this is a must. So basically Taizo's side and neutral move imo has to be the air harpoon, and Fygar's fire)
3) Double Drill- Taizo dives forward and drills into enemies. (optional idea: he spins around while using it, like M.Bison's psycho crusher from Street Fighter)
4) Susumu throws a jousting spear to his left/right. Or he throws whatever that is. (a drill sword?)
5) Taizo throws a food item or vegetable. (the ones that appear in Dig Dug, which earn points, much like the food items in Pac-Man) They would be thrown in a curved arc, like Diddy Kong's peanuts.

any
1) Rally-X go-kart as a sideways attack and/or recovery move.
2) Taizo places above him either a rock (Dig Dug) or a block or quicksand (Dig Dug Digging Strike) above him. The quicksand idea is better since it's less narrow in its use. Unlike the rock which simply falls, the Quicksand falls and then slides in either direction along the platform, falls off the side, and if there is another platform underneath then it keeps going.
3) Susumu uses Puchi to help him. Puchi rushes sideways into the opponent and/or bites him. Depeneding on the character, instead of Puchi it can be an Undergrounder, or the black alien rabbit.

Also, ALL the characters will have a dive move like Toon Link. But instead of a sword, it's a drill.

I can't say what I'd like to have for Pac-Man's Special Moves, but for his Up-B at least I'd like to see him in a mode where you can move him in a limited fashion but in all four directions, for a certain amount of time. Almost like how he controls in the original arcade game, even.
I like this.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Why not Pac-Man with a Ms. Pac-Man alt? Sure would be a nice idea.

As a Namco rep, Pac-Man and Lloyd are the likeliest, in my opinion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still find Lloyd to be far more interesting to me than Pac-Man is. Pac-Man would be iconic for the game etc...whatever. But just adding him because he is iconic is a bad reason to put a character in the game, especially when there are other Namco characters that may or may not fit better into the game.

Go Lloyd!

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i still have no interest in Lloyd whatsoever. sure he's got great potential but i have no personal investment in the character or the series for that matter. not saying he's a bad choice, just saying i dont really want him

CalumG

Smash Lord
I still find Lloyd to be far more interesting to me than Pac-Man is. Pac-Man would be iconic for the game etc...whatever. But just adding him because he is iconic is a bad reason to put a character in the game, especially when there are other Namco characters that may or may not fit better into the game.

Go Lloyd!
Adding a character because they're iconic is pretty much how 80% of the Smash cast got chosen. In fact, it's pretty much the basis of how Smash became as popular as it did in the first place, isn't it?

R.O.B. certainly isn't any kind of fighter, but he got added because he's a Nintendo icon, and has had repeated cameos in their titles. SEGA arguably had much more suitable 'fighters', but Sonic got chosen, for obvious reasons. Every single Pokemon character was added for how iconic they are/were, not for their fighting prowess (Jigglypuff anyone?). The same proves true for near enough everything represented in Smash, aside from a few 'unique' characters (Ice Climbers represent the NES, sure, but they're more unique than they are iconic). Plus, in terms of how well characters interact with each other, I'd say Pac-Man would, from a visual standpoint if nothing else, fit in better with the Smash cast than Lloyd. Him and Mario have already had a crossover game together, after all.

But mostly it'd just be cool to see Mario, Sonic and Pac-Man duking it out. At the end of the day, isn't Smash Bros. all about these kinds of match-ups you'd never get to see anywhere else?

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I was not aware that Jigglypuff was iconic.
But that's why I'm here! To learn more about the world!

CalumG

Smash Lord
I was not aware that Jigglypuff was iconic.
But that's why I'm here! To learn more about the world!
Well, iconic in the 64 days at least - Jigglypuff is nowhere near as relevant these days but stays in based on his/her legacy status. If I had my say, Jigglypuff would have long since been replaced with a more modern Pokemon that better represents the series as a whole. Way back, Jigglypuff was incredibly popular in Japan and was a significant recurring character in the anime.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As I've said before, Pacman seems to be the most likely. He's been along longer than even Mario. But on a more personal level I'd rather have Yoshimitsu for a few reasons. The first being is that he's still a popular character in Namco's history and he's apart of two different series(Tekken and Soul Calibur respectively). The second is that he has more moveset potential. Helicopter sword, cartwheel kicks, poison breath, and multi-sweep kicks can all work. The third being that he's a character that can be both serious and comedic when it's needed. Granted the same could said for Heihachi Mishima too. But I guess that Jin would be a very likely choice given his status for the series.

For Soul Calibur, I'd say that Siegfried and Nightmare seem to be likely choices for similar reasons as Jin. I would say that Taki also has a good chance, but she was recently replaced by Natsu in SCV, so her relevancy has been severely stamped out. Not entirely sure who else would from SC could work in Smash but the franchise as a whole has a smaller chance of getting any cameo than say Pacman or Tekken.

But again, Pacman is seems to be quite likely. He still has some decent moveset potential too. Namely with the pacaman world games giving him things like his own version of the ground pound and spin dash.

As for Lloyd, well I haven't played any of the Tales of "Insert fancy word here" games yet myself, but he seems to quite the popular pick. I've seen his Super Smash Flash 2 moveset though, and he seems okay. Nothing that says that he's the most standout needed addition to the roster. But his style is decent enough. I'd be interested if anyone who's a Tales of "Insert fancy word here" pro to show what Lloyd's REALLY capable of doing gameplay-wise, to convince me that he's really that great of a choice.

If you wanted to be really obscure go with I-ninja. That game was cool. Do it. Y'know you wanna.It'd be killer.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Pac-man can have 1 of 2 move-sets:

1) a moveset based off of his games from the original Pac-man to Pac-man World
or
2) a moveset revolving around all of Namco's retro games from Galaxia, Dig Dug etc...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Adding a character because they're iconic is pretty much how 80% of the Smash cast got chosen. In fact, it's pretty much the basis of how Smash became as popular as it did in the first place, isn't it?

R.O.B. certainly isn't any kind of fighter, but he got added because he's a Nintendo icon, and has had repeated cameos in their titles. SEGA arguably had much more suitable 'fighters', but Sonic got chosen, for obvious reasons. Every single Pokemon character was added for how iconic they are/were, not for their fighting prowess (Jigglypuff anyone?). The same proves true for near enough everything represented in Smash, aside from a few 'unique' characters (Ice Climbers represent the NES, sure, but they're more unique than they are iconic). Plus, in terms of how well characters interact with each other, I'd say Pac-Man would, from a visual standpoint if nothing else, fit in better with the Smash cast than Lloyd. Him and Mario have already had a crossover game together, after all.

But mostly it'd just be cool to see Mario, Sonic and Pac-Man duking it out. At the end of the day, isn't Smash Bros. all about these kinds of match-ups you'd never get to see anywhere else?
Point taken. But what i'm not interested in, is adding a character SIMPLY for recognition. Especially 3rd parties. I want a character that is interesting. Most iconic Nintendo characters are already in the game, missing a few that would truly complete the "all-star roster". To be honest, I don't really want Pac-man in the game because he does nothing for me. I've played the games, and they're fun sure. But what could he possibly do that would make him interesting? I'm sure the developers could think of something, but it doesn't really matter to me in general. I would simply prefer Lloyd.

Iconic Nintendo character got in because that is what the series is about, and that is because in a Nintendo fighting game, they have to represent their IP's. But like I said, I don't want a 3rd Party character in there SIMPLY for recognition. That on it's own is a stupid reason. Obviously, recognition is a part of every character, but it isn't what got them in it on its own. Sonic was highly requested and popular, and Snake was a favor who was iconic to his own series.

But yea thats basically all my point is. Recognition is fine, but not on it's own.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The Franchises are VERY DIFFERENT I agree but the character as put into Smash would play very similar to Marth and other FE characters other than two swords. I do love LLyod in Super Flash 2 but I do not see him standing out from any other Smash sword users.

peeup

Smash Lord
Doesn't, like, everybody hate the 3D Sonic games? That didn't stop him, shouldn't stop Pac-Man.

I would much rather see a Tekken or Soul Calibur rep, but I think Pac-Man is incredibly likely.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Go Lloyd!
Sonic was iconic too.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd also like to address that the fact that Snake basically nullifies any argument that a character doesn't fit well. He may seem like an ugly duck compared to the rest of the cast, but I thought he fit into the game one way or another. The argument that he would be like any other swordsmen is like saying any sword wielding character from any franchise would be a bad addition.

Sonic was iconic for several different reasons as well. Basically what Swampasaur said. Pac-Man's popularity has definitely been subtle in the last few (or many) years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom