• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nana Braking

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So, I found something else that I thought deserved its own thread when playing PX.

You know how GW can bucket brake?

Well...

Ice climbers can't.

But what they can do!!!! Is save nana.

Basically, a lot of the time nana has more % then popo right? So she flys farther and such. Well, if you do an attack as she is passing by popo(uair for example) she will sync with popo and it will cancel her momentum esentially saving her. If your opponent is killing nana, and they hit her towards you, you can sort of catch her do doing an uair or something as she passes you. When she's in your little bubble that you can control her in she synches with whatever you are doing.

It's pretty nifty.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Um, sorry for the typo?

*facepalm*

bobson

Smash Lord
It's okay, I'm sure everyone will find it in their heart to forgive you.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
As in, completly braking ALL her momentum?

Or just momentum canceling with Nana?

If it's the second one, why'd it take you so long to remember to momentum cancel Nana too? xD

lain

Smash Master
Sounds amazing.

But unfortunately there won't be a whole lot of them hitting her in your direction past you. Just off the stage. :'[

swordgard

Smash Hero
I thought this was known... this is why you must always momentum cancel asap with them to save nana if possible.

Oh and guys, im not sure you guys knew this, but a small bit of info i found. Side-B will reduce horizontal momentum (you can sometimes save yourself from dying by doing it directly after upair, at the cost of predictable recovery, but at least you dont die).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This isn't just momentum canceling.

If nana is at like 100% and you are at 0%, and your opponent hits only her, you can jump up and catch her with an aireal as she's flying away >_>. It looks really weird lol. Sort of like how GW's uair will stop someones momentum after they are hit.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Now i get it.
Awesome thing Hylian. Will this work with other aerials?
Yeah, it should.

This tactic isn't really "Amazing" in the sense that you will pretty much almost never get the chance to use it.

But it's something to know :).

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I understand what you mean. Too many people use Forward Air and Down Air when UpAir is much better.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Oh my goodness, I thought of something just like this yesterday but never tested it out.(kinda weird huh?)

Good stuff Hylian for finding this and posting it. :)

Prawn

Smash Master
Very cool, I actually think you guys are underestimating how much you can use this. If Nana is just slightly ahead of you and she's hit back towards you you can use this if you have fast enough fingers.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I understand what you mean. Too many people use Forward Air and Down Air when UpAir is much better.
Actually it doesnt matter what aerial you use, nana will just naturally use momentum to come back to you when shes sent flying by. Its kinda the same as when shes floating because your on a platform and she aint.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I thought this was old too o.o

That's why I usually use Nair as soon as I see myself by Nana if either of us got hit.

Also, is Uair any better than Bair for this and DI? I usually use Bair... unless I get hit really far over, then I use Uair instead.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
This actualally won me a set today, saved nana, and in the process spiked my opponent <3.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Actually it doesnt matter what aerial you use, nana will just naturally use momentum to come back to you when shes sent flying by. Its kinda the same as when shes floating because your on a platform and she aint.
I believe Up Air is the fastest though, so it's more reliable.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I really doubt people knew this >_>.

Why didn't you tell anyone? I would of loved to know this before lol.

I don't think the people who say it's old understand >_>.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I really doubt people knew this >_>.

Why didn't you tell anyone? I would of loved to know this before lol.

I don't think the people who say it's old understand >_>.
Because every time I think I've found something new you disprove it and tell me that it's old? I just figured it would be the same with this so I figured I wouldn't say anything and get the same reply as usual, that's all. Sorry.

Edit: Also, I never said that this was old to me, I just said that I thought it was old. Period. I didn't reailze the effectiveness of it until some friendlies against Phil on wifi recently. I just figured other people already knew about it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian is the only person who knows things.
This guy gets it.

Seriously though, I've just never seen this in a video or seen it posted on the boards ANYWHERE. So when someone says they know about it, I wonder why they didn't tell people :/. Then I try to clarify if they are actually talking about the same thing I am.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Seriously though, I've just never seen this in a video or seen it posted on the boards ANYWHERE. So when someone says they know about it, I wonder why they didn't tell people :/. Then I try to clarify if they are actually talking about the same thing I am.
You're talking about you getting hit away, then Nana gets hit and would normally be sent flying past you on the way, but you use a Nair to stop her from flying that far and she sort of sticks to you because of the move, correct?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You're talking about you getting hit away, then Nana gets hit and would normally be sent flying past you on the way, but you use a Nair to stop her from flying that far and she sort of sticks to you because of the move, correct?
Um, sort of.

If you are synched and hit, nana will usually be hit farther from you and not even pass you if she has more damage.

You don't have to be hit though, just nana. Nana can be on the other side of the stage and get hit and go flying, and if you jump in front of her and do an aireal she will just stop.

But yeah, you have the general idea.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Um, sort of.

If you are synched and hit, nana will usually be hit farther from you and not even pass you if she has more damage.

You don't have to be hit though, just nana. Nana can be on the other side of the stage and get hit and go flying, and if you jump in front of her and do an aireal she will just stop.

But yeah, you have the general idea.
Alright, just making sure.

I just mentioned popo being hit first since usually people don't hit Nana my way or I don't react quick enough (though if I'm below the stage and being edgeguarded and need to recover, I tend to work wonders with keeping her by me like that o.O)

Kage Me

Smash Ace
It's not so much that this technique was explicitely known, but most people should have known that it was possible by the way Nana works... Really. Shame on all of us for not posting this sooner.

r3d d09

Smash Master
Depends also, lets say popo is off the stage then the opponent hits nana towards you, I've tried to do what was stated and she ended up desynced and i fell to my death. lol.
But i've also have pulled this off successfully. it's quite fun to listen to the opponents remarks after you survive a powerful smash. ;D

Top Bottom