• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nana has different hit properties?

Zindura

Smash Cadet
In today's (February 21) update about meteor smashes, Sakurai notes that only Nana's forward air will meteor smash. It makes you wonder what other differences there are between Popo and Nana.

It'd be interesting to see if changing costume color (which switches between Nana and Popo in the lead) also enables you to access any of her different hit properties on certain moves.

Can an already complex character get any crazier? Discuss.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know what? I thought the very same thing this morning. XD

Maybe if you change your colors to Nana, you gain access to the meteor smash, along with several other moves. Well, I hope so. :p

Little Red Corvette

Smash Apprentice
You can't play as Nana. The colors always keep Popo in front now.

This does help explain one of my main problems with Prai_ma being Plusle/Minun - mainly why there's one data for them, but two for the Ice Climbers (it's because Nana has slightly different attacks from Popo, and thus is not just a costume swap of him.)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Huh? You can't put Nana in front now? ... Aww.. this sucks... Well, not that it made that much of a difference, but NOW that it does...

Lately the Forbidden 8 have been interesting me a lot... I wonder if there's any way of playing as those characters... (besides illegal software). I mean.. is it just me, or wouldn't it be hillarious to play as Toon Sheik? XD

Anyway, back on topic.. I guess now there's an even better reason to keep Nana alive.. I just hope their UP+B was improved to work as long as Nana is alive.

Destructioncalls

Smash Cadet
You can't play as Nana. The colors always keep Popo in front now.

This does help explain one of my main problems with Prai_ma being Plusle/Minun - mainly why there's one data for them, but two for the Ice Climbers (it's because Nana has slightly different attacks from Popo, and thus is not just a costume swap of him.)
U def can still put Nana in the front.. I already seen several vids wit her in the lead. Look for vids where their colors are red and white.

heres one http://youtube.com/watch?v=YdQXJb1PpxQ

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Your ai partner will be doing the spiking, whether it's Nana or Popo.

There are probably more hidden techniques only both IC's can execute. As Sakurai said himself "It's all about Nana"

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hasnt that always been the case?
That the up B move only works when Nana is alive?
Sometimes, even when Nana is near Popo, their UP+B fails.

Sometimes it makes sense, when Nana is TOO far away.. But some other times, when they're falling together, Nana screws up and doesn't go along with the Up+B.

That's what I'd like to be fixed on the climbers. Popo's side B is decent, but if everyone''s recovery is buffed, then the IC should also. :p

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes, even when Nana is near Popo, their UP+B fails.

Sometimes it makes sense, when Nana is TOO far away.. But some other times, when they're falling together, Nana screws up and doesn't go along with the Up+B.

That's what I'd like to be fixed on the climbers. Popo's side B is decent, but if everyone''s recovery is buffed, then the IC should also. :p
They have made it much easier for Nana to help you successfully Up B and she can even join you in the middle of your side B. It makes more sense than Nana warping from the other side of the stage to help you. Then again that's what the Pikmin do if Olimar is sent flying.

Zindura

Smash Cadet
Hum, I looked really closely at the video, but I couldn't really tell which one is which. I know Popo and Nana were discernible in Melee because Nana had more hair, but I still can't tell.

As for the Ice Climber Up+B "glitch", maybe both of the climbers need to be out of stun to perform it? Seeing as Nana has her own damage meter, maybe there were cases in which Nana was too stunned to perform Up+B with Popo and people saw this as a glitch. I don't use the climbers often, so I don't speak from experience.

Edit: I'm now sure that Nana was in front. Popo goes "Nyah!" and Nana goes "Ey!" when they use their Neutral B in Brawl, and the white climber was making Popo's sound.

This is interesting, because the solo climber, Nana, used her forward air and hit Wolf with it later in the match, but it didn't spike. I guess the follower climber has the meteor/spike property, no matter which one it is.

FMArthur

Smash Cadet
It might just be the one move. The reason Nana's move meteors and Popo's doesn't is so that both will hit.

Zindura

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that would explain why the second climber to strike has the meteor property.

I'm pretty sure he just meant it as whoever the AI partner is will do the meteor smash, meaning you'd need to keep them alive.

And you definitely can play as Nana. She's playable when she wears white, red, and black.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
y does sakurai hate girls?

there's only one female newcomer...who is just samus again, and now he took AWAY the ability to play as nana...

CrossX

Smash Apprentice
I agree, this does add more depth to the Ice Climbers, but there has to be some advantage to play as Popo, we just need to find it.

Top Bottom