• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Catfish Social Thread! *<3 KEV*

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
The thing that impresses me most about pp is his spacing.

Run in N-air, L-cancel, Shine, jump back n-air or d-air. LOL peach can't even punish that with n-air OOS

Also, isn't it possible to SDI the lasers of the u-throw? Like, if I was playing you, I would just start rolling my control stick when you u-throw me so I appear in some random spot.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah you can totally DI the Upthrow lasers. It has made my life a lot harder(especially vs puff) and I'm not sure what throw trixies I'll start to use next but I need some new ones lol.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
well, like, I know that if some one DIs too hard the lasers won't hit them and they'll be in even more stun. So I guess you gotta just mix it up

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Puff is light so the throw is faster though. Reaction time testers baby.

Also DI'ing Uthrow lasers varies somewhat by % as far as timing is concerned due to how far the throw itself will take you before the lasers hit you.

People don't know.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
now if only i could figure out how to do those sheild drops, i do them by accident sometimes and like wtf, they are so good

i agree about short intervals, but i see nothing wrong with multiple times a day, just make sure you took long breaks inbetween and i'd add, if you start getting frustrated and/or messing up things that are "easy" to you, just stop and take a break, no reason to continue if you are sucking/frustrated
breaks + intervals, great idea. thanks, mccain.

shield drops so easy ok

also, thanks kevin. i've been throwing that around for something like a year now, and it's really helped the people i've sent it to.

i would update it with hacked melee automatic debug mode (thx magus)
The thing that impresses me most about pp is his spacing.

Run in N-air, L-cancel, Shine, jump back n-air or d-air. LOL peach can't even punish that with n-air OOS

Also, isn't it possible to SDI the lasers of the u-throw? Like, if I was playing you, I would just start rolling my control stick when you u-throw me so I appear in some random spot.
Uthrow should almost never work vs Jiggs/Peach if they DI properly initially or get the laser DI. Floaties players looolz
see this is where i take issue with theorycraft vs real game play

SleepyK

that's the problem i have with it.
statements like "... should NEVER" are ignoring the fact that melee is fast and dynamic... sometimes to the point that things that never "should" work can work.

then there's this one that makes me rage so hard i'm going to put my rant in spoiler tags

"...should ALWAYS"
I WANNA BE WITH YOU
AND MAKE BELIEVE WITH YOU
AND LIVE IN HARMONY HARMONY OH LOVE

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
@sleepyk: I know exactly what your'e saying. Top players get hit by jiggly puff's uthrow to rest all of the time because they don't react fast enough. Even though they "should never" get hit by it.

SleepyK

I disagree with dark hart
i agree with kevin

@sleepyk: I know exactly what your'e saying. Top players get hit by jiggly puff's uthrow to rest all of the time because they don't react fast enough. Even though they "should never" get hit by it.
yeah, video games.

hope i don't come off as trolling, i haven't slept so i can't think of anything else to say

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Most of brawl is basic as ****.

you just got to be smart to do well

which is why most melee players hate the game.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Do something that shouldn't work once in a while and you'll be surprised
This took me a while to really apply correctly but absolutely this.

see this is where i take issue with theorycraft vs real game playstatements like "... should NEVER" are ignoring the fact that melee is fast and dynamic... sometimes to the point that things that never "should" work can work.

then there's this one that makes me rage so hard i'm going to put my rant in spoiler tags
That's why I said LOL Floaties players. Uthrow + aerial shouldn't ever work theoretically and (depending on percents) could get you killed. Look at the difference between Kevin's match with Juan at HERB3 where it ***** Juan, and then at CEO where Juan DI'd almost every Uthrow and it was suddenly just a wasted to grab. I kinda like mixing up Fthrows and Dthrows more with occasional thrown in Uthrows vs Jiggs with Falco.

BUT Uthrow does work randomly so it's **** to try as a mix up. I get away with silly stuff all the time because I only do it once or twice then I do other stuff. Once again, we're talking about reaction time and match up knowledge.

I definitely agree that people's knowledge of what shouldn't work is actually what typically causes it to work, and therefore, I acknowledge that it is a weakness of super theory bros.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua

That's why I said LOL Floaties players. Uthrow + aerial shouldn't ever work theoretically and (depending on percents) could get you killed. Look at the difference between Kevin's match with Juan at HERB3 where it ***** Juan, and then at CEO where Juan DI'd almost every Uthrow and it was suddenly just a wasted to grab. I kinda like mixing up Fthrows and Dthrows more with occasional thrown in Uthrows vs Jiggs with Falco.

BUT Uthrow
does work randomly so it's **** to try as a mix up. I get away with silly stuff all the time because I only do it once or twice then I do other stuff. Once again, we're talking about reaction time and match up knowledge.

I definitely agree that people's knowledge of what shouldn't work is actually what typically causes it to work, and therefore, I acknowledge that it is a weakness of super theory bros.
this times like a large number

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I watched so much fox this weekend. So many different playstyles aside from Adams. I saw Redd breakdown Adam, and Cactuar have real close matches with Adam.

I suppose watching more videos would have given me the same sensation - but seeing it as it happened was pretty nice. I kinda want to play Fox after seeing all of it.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
falcos throws suck cuz theres nothing guaranteed. just use fox if you wanna throw people.
To me, this is a misunderstanding of Falco's throws.

I don't think about them in terms of combos so much as situation/positioning changers which lead to combos. I actually really love Falco's throws.

EDIT: However, Alex said this so I'm never sure where he's trolling. His inner Brawl player may actually believe what he said, but I think he's also too smart a player to think something not being guaranteed makes it bad.

EDIT2: Or it might even be his inner Brawl player which really understands what I mean conceptually by situation changers.

EDIT3: FFFFF my otherthinking has caused me to troll myself. :054:

Alex too good.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
If I get anything useful from Falco's throws it either some janky *** up throw uair dj dair or I get them off the stage, normally I commit to something that fails and get punished though...

That's a part of Falco's game I really need to work on...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Do something that shouldn't work once in a while and you'll be surprised
I keep trying to tell people this. They don't really listen.

The biggest problem with theorycraft in Smash is smash players tend to talk in absolutes, and they tend not to think about the game in terms of mix-ups, and the gray areas mix-ups create. That inability to think in terms of the convoluted interplay of options lead a lot of people to rely overmuch on real-world results. But the problem with real-world results is there are too many intangibles. For instance, Hbox having food poisoning at Pound 5 (didn't really hurt him that much, though, but it could have influenced the results somewhat).

lord karn

Smash Master
The problem with doing stuff that 'shouldn't work' is that just going out there and doing it is usually relying on your opponent to mess up. I generally don't think you should be relying on your opponent to mess up to win. Full jumping blindly at your opponent with fox is a sure way to get ***** if your playing anyone good. Sure they might mess it up occasionally and you'll get a huge reward, but if you run in blindly with a full-hop your opponent can pretty much cc on reaction and **** you.

However, if you have adapted to your opponent and you know when things that 'shouldn't work' actually work by watching their patterns, then you should do it. If you notice that your opponent doesn't cc at a certain time, you should throw out things that don't normally work to punish this. However, at this point it is no longer something that 'shouldn't work,' because you have reason to believe that it will work.

Top Bottom