• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neat Drill Rush possibility

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Myself and others have already stated that this is extremely unreliable and not really a good option.

I only did this once. It was an accident. Therefore, I have no idea if this is plausible as a regular strategy, and even if it is, it'll probably be situational like most strategies are.

I was playing my friend yesterday. He was using either Fox or Falco (I can't remember which...he's good with and plays both). As you know, using the Drill Rush straight through someone tends to go through them and leave you open.

However, changing the direction (either up or down) holds them in it so that they get hit more. Also, as you know, the Drill Rush has knockback only on the final hit.

So here's what happened:

I caught him in the Drill Rush and push him over the edge and started drilling down. At the end of it, it spiked him. He died...very quickly. His damage percentage was relatively low (below 100, I believe), but I don't remember what exactly. Afterwards, the bounce the drill rush has at the end popped me back up right onto the stage.

Discuss. We all know that the application of the Drill Rush are limited, so anything to improve it as a viable attack is good. I'm going to play with it myself, but it might be possible to use this as an edge-guard for certain situations.

greenmetaknightfan

Smash Rookie
dude i am definately trying this. drillrush... personally is metaknight's worst move due to the fact it is so punishable afterwards. if i can actually find a use that would be sick. one thing that troubles me is that i dont know how u would survive either if u did the drillrush downwards because it leaves u in a helpless state. pleas explain a little more about what happened lol im really interested

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
It leaves you in a helpless state, but if you're in the air, it bounces you backwards. So when I drilled downwards, it bounced me back onto the stage.

mrk

Smash Cadet
That's certainly an interesting possibility. I'll try it out as soon as possible.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
If drill rush can really be a spike, thats great, but it wouldn't be much use against a good opponent. Why? Because if you catch him in a drill rush and head off the stage, he KNOWS you will try to aim downward and spike him. This means your opponent will DI up and escape the spike. Sounds cool though. If we are lucky, it would be impossible to escape, and DI won't matter. Somehow I doubt it.

WOPPLE

Smash Rookie
I haven't been able to try this technique against a player, but I thought it may have edge-guarding potential when I was testing possibilities with his B attacks. Although the bounce leaves you helpless, you can still grab the ledge, so you don't even have to make it all the way back on the stage.

Raphs182

Smash Rookie
I've actually done this once, and like you it was on accident, I forgot which character I did it to, but he did not die. I was thinking the same thing, but it seemed to be really hard to accomplish, as his drill is pretty predictable after a while of playing against MK. But I think if there at a high enough percentage it is possible, but I doubt for certain character (i.e. Kriby, jiggs, maybe some others).

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
the last hit of drill rush seems to have quite good knockback in the direction you were going in... so i guess it would spike if you aimed it downwards

Orpheus

Smash Cadet
Interesting topic since I only do Drill rush either to move around the stage/go back when being knock out or spam low percentage rate.
I never heard or seen <b> that </b> before.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
dry bones is right, i have tried it many times. the same thing happens if you drive it up at the end its a high arcing knockback. and down gives a spike looking knockback but its either a very small sweet spot to truly spike or its damage dependent and the high knockback makes it appear to be a spike. my opponent has been able to escape several times so its not a true spike as far as i know, unless there is a sweet spot on the drill to spike.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
yeah i still am yet to get a true spike it think it is just awesome downward knockback at higher percents

yay 42nd post!!!!!(this post is the answer to life the universe and everything.)

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I tried to recreate the situation and have yet to succeed. MK has enough edge guarding ability that's effective and more reliable, so even those this can sometimes work, it's better not to try for anything else other than a surprise or mind games.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Nice find. Side b is a great approach but does leave you vulnerable. If you wanna avoid the free fall after the move, simply side b and end it in the ground.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
i tried it in training and haven't been able to work it yet
it might work but i dont think its very reliable even if it does

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
That's pretty cool. I imagine it's got some situational use, maybe for killing an impossible to edge guard rob or something like that.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
This is really interesting. It might be the first interesting post on the Meta Knight Forum in weeks. Unless it's fake. Then I'll just be sad.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
It's not fake, but I haven't been able to recreate it. And it was an accident. The only way it'll happen is if the opponent DIs very very poorly.

ShinobiSli

Smash Apprentice
It's not fake, but I haven't been able to recreate it. And it was an accident. The only way it'll happen is if the opponent DIs very very poorly.
I'm noticing that too. I tried it on some CPUs, and even with no DI, the drill kicks em up after a while. The only way this could work is if the opponent DI'd in the same downward direction you were drilling. Otherwise, they're kicked out when you start the downward curve.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
CPUs do DI, just so you know. You're better off plugging in a second controller to check what happens with no DI. I haven't tested this, though.

Recharge

Smash Rookie
Very sad if AK's right about no spike, but you still grab the ledge and they're below you = recovery nerfing like mad. Joys

DaFlameking

Smash Cadet
Yes. Drill rush can be used like a spike cuz the last hit of it has a big knockback on the enemy. You can do like a short hop, and then drill rush towards the edge, and it will knock off anyone whos hanging on the edge or trying to come back on and leave them vulnerable for a short amount of time.

Its like Pikachu's Tail Spike in Melee seeing how it spiked people but they could get back up or close if they reacted fast or knew it was coming.

Use it, Ive been using it for a long time now and its been dishing out good kills.

If I knew how to make a video on the wii, i could show u guys.

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
its not a spike, all it is, is that you were aiming down with his drill rush which intern with the final hit being with knock back, knocked him downward

/thread

Top Bottom