• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Advise on Roy VS Mario Matchup

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
So I've been playing with a Mario that's in my playgroup and I can hardly beat them. Their strategy is to sit back and throw pills until it's safe to go in for a combo. I've been trying new things against them, like countering, shield poking, but none of it seems to work. Does anyone have advise for me? It also doesn't help that he doesn't let me counterpick stages at all because they think "stage doesn't matter."

- RBK

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
If they spam the same projectile there is nothing you CAN do, not even as Roy and he's by far the most overpowered character in Project M (As of 6/18/2014)

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't say the most overpowered, I would call him one of the safest, if not THE safest character in the game right now. His moves are really hard to punish and that's what I'm struggling with since that's one of my strong suits.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
  • I feel your pain big time man. I have the exact same situation with a buddy of mine. Mario is such a tough MU due to pills. I think the matchup really comes down to knowing the person rather than just the character MU. (Thats how i like to approach it at least)
  • Picking up on patterns help me more against my friend. You have to play very carefully and very patiently, but at the same time once you get a good lead into a Dtilt or combo starter you need to capitalize on it.
  • I think the best way to approach the Mario MU when he's defensive and spam pills is to really try to fight through the pills using SHFFL'ed Fairs, Uairs, and maybe Nairs while utilizing your mobility to get grabs.
  • Overall just try to pressure him with grabs/Dtilts more than he's pressuring you with his pills.

Last edited:

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
From what I've observed so far is how much he rolls. Whenever I approach, he rolls behind me then usually starts his combos. SO that's a start. I'll update when I figure out more observations I have against him.

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
As an old Mario main and a new Roy main, I've got a fair bit of experience on both sides of this.

Mario is going to thrive well in this match just because he easily forces approach from Roy, and can just punish a poor approach well. As Roy this is an uphill fight. Your best approach is definitely SHFFL'd aerials, and if you can powershield consistently, make Mario regret spamming pills so much. As long as you don't end up at FD make sure to utilize platforms for closing space. Spacing is important when approaching because you can stay out of Mario's smash range as Roy and still pick him up. The good news is Mario is a decent weight for comboing so once you get in, make sure to get the most out of it.

Definitely learn your opponents habits as well, you're gonna need any help you can get.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Jab isn't a bad option for clanking with pills. It covers a nice amount of both horizontal and vertical distance in front of you, and comes out really quick. Plus the advantage of clanking is you don't have to deal with the ending lag of your move. If jumping forward with an aerial to both neutralize the pill and close space isn't an option, and maneuvering around the pill will put you in an even worse position, clanking with a quick ground move tends to be (in my experiences at least) the next best option.

Last edited:

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I haven't tested it yet, but i'm wondering if counter could be a good option on some pill approaches. Say if Mario is consistently going for a two pill> Nair or two pill>grab, maybe jab the first pill and counter the second pill. I would think there would be a good possibility for counter to work pretty well. Depending on the ending lag of counter, maybe it can be used on the first pill to negate the second one as well in niche situations

Top Bottom