• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help fighting Falco

ofizzy

Smash Cadet
I've been playing CF forever, a friend of mine plays random characters for friendlies but whenever it comes to a serious match his falco beats me about 7 out of 10 times :mad:

im not sure what im doing wrong.

Any tips for taking down a falco?

S.D

Smash Master
It's a tough match.

U throw lots and learn to tech chase consistently and effectively.

Try and get a video maybe if you want some more specific help.

ofizzy

Smash Cadet
yea i get him in grabs easy but reading which way he might tech for the chase
needs some work

And powershielding lazers is a random occurance for me iv never really tried it

young wus

Smash Journeyman
What i do is dash dance in range of there D-air, Grab ALOT!!!! falco is a fast faller so it is very easy to combo him. watch alot of SS videos. also try to learn the power sheild, i know it is hard, but try it, it helps.also remember that falco can get gimped EASY! one knee will send him out the map and maybe a F-tilt for the edge guard. I believe that the key to beating a falco is when ever you have the opportunity to combo, go for it, cause if u dont then he will just **** ur ***! Remember to edge guard falco!

PK Webb

Smash Champion
What helps me sometimes to techchase is a slow dashdance in the area where they can roll to

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Okay, as a Falco main, I'll tell you right up front that I don't think this match up is in Falcon's favor. But if you really insist on playing him against Falco I've noticed:

-Don't be too aggressive.
- When you get a chance to combo, for god's sake, take it, don't do some gay grab into nothing unless you're good at tech chasing.
- If you've got him off the edge, don't let him near it. (Kind of goes without saying, but many people underestimate this advice.)

Here's a wonderful match to study. Notice that after getting a hit, he always gets the kill. It needs to be like that;make sure you know his combos against Falco like the back of your hand.

EDIT:
also chaingrab him up throwing to death if you are feeling to play dirty XD
You can't chain grab Falco as Falcon at a reasonable percent. Come to think of it, even at that percent (Which is upper 80s, I believe, maybe even closer to 100) I think they can DI or shine out of it.

naa i got a better one, hog onto an edge and do uairs whitout leaving it x)
And then he spikes you and you're dead. Would not suggest doing this.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
At around 45-55% knee and go for the Sacred Combo. If they double jump, it'll hit. So worth it. Good on Battlefield. Even if you knee them at the very edge, they'll be at the edge of the screen when you punch them. Just do this and you'll always win.

young wus

Smash Journeyman
Okay, as a Falco main, I'll tell you right up front that I don't think this match up is in Falcon's favor. But if you really insist on playing him against Falco I've noticed:

-Don't be too aggressive.
- When you get a chance to combo, for god's sake, take it, don't do some gay grab into nothing unless you're good at tech chasing.
- If you've got him off the edge, don't let him near it. (Kind of goes without saying, but many people underestimate this advice.)

Here's a wonderful match to study. Notice that after getting a hit, he always gets the kill. It needs to be like that;make sure you know his combos against Falco like the back of your hand.

EDIT:

You can't chain grab Falco as Falcon at a reasonable percent. Come to think of it, even at that percent (Which is upper 80s, I believe, maybe even closer to 100) I think they can DI or shine out of it.

I hella agree with this, cause falco's lasers just ****s u up, plus CF has to get in there, but if ur to aggressive then u dont think and fall for stupid ****.

Scar

#HarveyDent
i will go in depth on this in my matchup guide but general rules are this

-falco will shut down your movement with lasers, learn to maneuver on platforms to keep your momentum going
-once he hits your shield with an aerial hold your shield and don't challenge his aerials, they all beat yours. just roll away
-if he hits you expect to be combod for a long time, good falcos will deal at least 40% from a single hit, don't get frustrated just focus on getting away
-if you hit him, make it count.

from grabs, uthrow is good, almost everyone can react to a tech ROLL by dashing and regrabbing. tech in place is much faster and is very hard to react to, so i would suggest guessing if they are going to roll or not, and either dash dance regrab or dair where they land to cover missed tech/tech in place options

uthrow chaingrabs from about 50-80% vs INWARDS or NO di, away DI cannot be regrabbed

go for knees whenever possible, not because it's reliable but rather because it can change the entire tide of a match, if you get a good knee near the edge of the stage and falco misses the DI, you can kill him at almost any percent.

good luck, this is your hardest matchup in the game.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
the reason i said hog the edge is that you mantain your invincibility while doing the uairs,it would be just stupid to stay there and die...

if he phantom stalls just knee him, the uair thing is for the firebird crap.

Scar

#HarveyDent
idk bro i'm gonna try to do a training guide tonight and then work on matchups throughout the week

Ojanya

Smash Ace
the reason i said hog the edge is that you mantain your invincibility while doing the uairs,it would be just stupid to stay there and die...
You don't keep invincibility during the whole U-air, or else that would be broken. A good player would get a kill off of someone who does that.

If you're talking about when Falco's off the stage, which you never specified if you are, then that's not exactly that best edge guard.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
This matchup can be more difficult than it should be if you don't know how to react to falco. The main thing to watch out for is the pillaring. If you get caught in one of his pillar chains, expect a solid amount of damage racked up on you, despite your attempts to DI. The most you can do in this case is to tech dair ASAP and make sure your roll isn't readable. The most efficient way to reduce the likelihood of you getting pillared is to stay in your shield when he's pressuring you. Attempting to shield grab after the dair hits will just make you eat a shine, and into the pillar you go. Just shield until Falco, usually instinctively, hops out of shine, and back away.

Tech chasing is important. I personally like using dthrow, but mixing up uthrows at low percents can work too. When the falco starts to catch-on to your tech chases, and either techs in place or stays down, use a knee or stomp to punish. Proficient tech chasing is going to give you control of the match and is crucial to netting that win.

As for this whole chain grabbing business, you can do some uthrow chain grabbing around 70ish to late 80ish percents. Continuity of the CG depends on their DI though. Still useful, and if they do DI out of reach, chances are they will tech and you just read from there.

Uthrow to fsmash around 90 percent, and anything higher towards 100 can be uthrow, nair, knee or stomp, nair, knee.

Spacies are probably my favourite to fight, despite how difficult they can be. Good luck.

Shin Virus

Smash Cadet
weak knee edgeguarding owns him, everything else has been said
i still think sheik is far worse than falco

skyheart

Smash Lord
weak knee edgeguarding owns him, everything else has been said
i still think sheik is far worse than falco
I agree with you, I have sooo much more trouble against sheiks than I do against falco's. But what I do against falcos laser is if they are low I just Nair over them, if they are high you can foward B under them. Most falco's have like a pattern to their lasers and will shoot more high than low or more low than high. And once you get a grab, 9 times out of 10 it should be a stock its not THAT hard to chase him, just make sure you cover all options he has.

Like what I do is force them to tech away from me by like stomping where I am, then i'll **** them as soon as they tech away.

young wus

Smash Journeyman
Captain needs to use what he can get, i would not call it gay.
When you get the opening on that falco combo and dont mess up.
Nah PIMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Captain just needs his air game, and grab game, and maybe his Down tilt, and a little bit of the foward tilt, and maybe here and there his smashes. but his other tilt is just a ***** move. cause any1 can edge guard by the up tilt all u need is timing, but can u combo.???...??,....????? so learn how to combo falco be4 u start using the ***** *** ****ing Up tilt, save that for the Playoffs(Tourney's)!!!:laugh:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
whoa whoa whoa.....

why has no one told me that there's someone else in Stamford who plays maylay?

p.s. Falco **** CF, I recommend learning Marf, Fawks, Jiggs, ICs, or Falco to fight Falco.

EDIT: I live in stamford, play me, my Falco's mad nice :D

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
Here's an easy edgeguarding tip if your friend usually recovers with side-b through you. Practice this so much that you can perfect it every time. If you get him off the edge/if you grab him when you are facing away from the edge, but close to it, throw him back, turn around, and if he side-b's through you, f-tilt. It's quick at only 4 frames. Then when he drops and has to up-b, give him the knee.

edit:woops

Top Bottom