• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help learning how to sweetspot Dair and Bair? This video is for you.

Would you want me to make more tutorials like this? No guarantees either way, but I had fun with it.

• Yes

Votes: 36 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team

I hope this helps people get those aerial finishers into action. Feel free to ask questions in this thread, if you still have any after watching.

meow

Smash Apprentice
Great job! My only critique is the text. You should get a whole sentence in instead of parts of it

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Great job! My only critique is the text. You should get a whole sentence in instead of parts of it
Darn, I like the font lol. But if an easier-to-read font is less distracting, I can find something for any future vids I might do. I'm glad you guys got something out of this regardless!

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I don't think it was specifically the font, it was the fact that it appeared in segments throughout the video.

I never could quite figure out the hitboxes of those two moves, so this is very helpful, thanks a bunch.

meow

Smash Apprentice
yeah that's what i meant the font is fine.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
I think this video is definitely great for people trying to pick up roy and understand his attacks. I know at first, i thought that his attacks were awkward to try and land, but once you learn the subtle placements of his hitboxes, and the set ups that best lead into them, its actually not diffiult at all to connect with them. Things like dtilt > dair offstage id say is only of slightly below average difficulty, which really isnt that bad at all.

Werbenjagermanjensen

Smash Rookie
Good tutorial. It makes landing Roy's Dair a bit less painful for me. Although, is there any frame data for Roy yet? If not, could we get someone from the PMBR to provide that? Because the video is great, but looking at the ACTUAL hitboxes and frame data in itself would be alot of help, in supplement to the video. Hypothetical places for hitboxes get the conversation started, but imho hard numbers can be that deciding factor in learning. Great video tho, and keep doing them. It made me learn something.

/backtoSmashLab

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
Good tutorial. It makes landing Roy's Dair a bit less painful for me. Although, is there any frame data for Roy yet? If not, could we get someone from the PMBR to provide that? Because the video is great, but looking at the ACTUAL hitboxes and frame data in itself would be alot of help, in supplement to the video. Hypothetical places for hitboxes get the conversation started, but imho hard numbers can be that deciding factor in learning. Great video tho, and keep doing them. It made me learn something.

/backtoSmashLab
Gathering frame data isn't really as simple as some people gather it to be, if you want quality that is. I made a gif for down air a while back for reddit if you want to see that.

[collapse=Animation]
[/collapse]
I might work on either Mewtwo or Roy as a side project...maybe as I need to work on what I already have atm. I know some people actually enjoy seeing things like this, so that's encouraging :)

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Hey, I recently found your 2.6 Snake frame data. Really neat stuff. Any chance you could update the numbers for 3.0? I hope that's not a whole lot in terms of changes.

Fortress

Smash Master
Excellent video. I've always felt super comfortable with landing those two attacks myself, but this at least reinforces what I thought I knew.

Something I've done more than a few times with Roy is to jump into somebody from under a platform, Dair, fall through the platform, jump, and immediately bair. Usually a pretty quick finisher if your opponent misses their tech. I constantly find myself going for kills on-stage with Roy's dair on grounded opponents. I'm not sure if anybody else has that preference, but u-throws and dairs are my slow but steady go-to.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Personally I prefer Fsmash and DED as grounded killing options, and neutral B and Bair as aerial finishers. Uthrow should kinda be a last resort.

Dair is super satisfying to sweetspot though, and it can be combo'd into from Dtilt, Dash Attack, and sourspot Dair. It sets up tech chases pretty nicely. Roy is a boss at tech chases.

Fortress

Smash Master
Roy's a great chaser, I love it. I'm using DED a lot more now, and third-hit-up meteor scoops are one of my favorite things to do at lower percents. We held a tournament at my place a few days ago, just five people, but one of my games opened with two DED meteors in a row, and it felt pretty good.

I catch myself using Blazer as a finisher, surprisingly enough, but it's a tougher one to land correctly, and has higher consequences to deal with if you whiff it, which is pretty easy. I'm working wavedash > F-smash into my game, and it's pretty effective, but I still lean more towards Flare Blade.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
It looks like tipper dair spikes on a couple of frames. It would be pretty hilarious if someone could pull that off for a kill.

MrDoubleT

Smash Rookie
Yep, i really like the DED meteor edge guard. Though it's sometimes difficult to get them right on that third hit.

Shauce

Smash Rookie
Extremely helpful tutorial. I could sweetspot my Bairs 90% of the time, but always had trouble w/ sweetspotted Dairs. This really helped me out. Thanks m8.

Top Bottom