• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEED MOD APPROVAL: A proposal to end the Melee vs Brawl Debate Thread Spam

feardragon64

Smash Champion
What if, in the large thread, there were links to the most well-thought out posts, along with a quick summation for easy browsing? The more notable posts that have already been made could easily be copied in, and their original threads could be closed to free up space and keep down spamming/flaming (which they either already have or invariably will degrade into, no matter who started them).
Who wants to go through the trouble of shifting through hundreds of spam posts, sorting out the well thought out ones(in an unbiased manner), and composing links to them in a timely fashion?

And honestly, thread or sub-forum, I think either one works, though both have advantages and disadvantages.

Sub-forum would completely separate the discussion boards, but it could have some problems in terms of having multiple proper discussions. However, seeing as the first posts are normally one of the most well thought out, this might also lead to more well thought out posts being heard. Still, this would be incredibly unorganized.

A thread would seem like a simpler solution(stickied of course). However, if anyone actually wants to get anywhere with this, they would have to shift through lots of spam posts to actually get any progression. Most of the progression is done when someone posts a new topic and everyone reads it and responds. After that, the first few pages are read, and then the true spamming ensues. However, this would give users who use the search function the ability to talk about either side all they want, though I'm sure this would still allow for more threads to be formed in the inappropriate sections(thus causing more mod work) than creating a sub-forum because a sub-forum is much more noticeable than a stickied thread.

But here's another thought: a huge problem is trying to distinguish spam posts from intelligent posts. Why not do this: redirect everyone who wants to complain about brawl or melee post it in the proper, section(see end of first post for the link to the thread about ranting over why brawl disappointed you), and create a sub-forum or new thread for ACTUAL DEBATE in brawl vs. melee. The only thing is, this requires some moderation to make sure people aren't just insulting each other and restating the same thing over and over again. But more importantly, it requires moderation to make sure people aren't RANTING about it, they're ARGUING it. Arguments MUST involve taking in the other side's opinions and ANSWERING them. However, this becomes much more difficult for mods so I still think creating a sub-forum is the best idea since, though it would create a few more problems, the problems wouldn't be anything THAT much bigger than what's already happening(it would just be an isolated problem that's a little bit bigger rather than a smaller problem that's scattered throughout the forum).

Magnacor

Smash Ace
I would think that an official thread would be the better way to go. The problem with that is that the thread would likely be just spam after about 4 or 5 pages. It'd go something like this:

Page 1: This is a good idea, we all need to keep our complaints in one place. STICKY PLEEZ!
Page 2: I think that my game is the better one and here is why...
Page 3: Intelligent conversation revolving around the original post about the game.
Page 4: A couple spam posts appear and are told to stop
Page 5: Someone sees the spam posts and spams them for spamming, who is spammed for doing so. Seeing the spam, the spam vultures swoop in and cast their spam about.
Page 6 and beyond: Spam. Reasoning and sound logic shall be attempted and it shall be welcomed. However, it shall be in vain, as people see the spam that came before it and will add their own spam to prove their point. This cycle shall continue, until in time a mod realizes this is a lost cause and locks the thread.

At least with a whole forum, the spam will continue and perhaps intelligent conversation will begin to blossom amidst all the spam. If not we have all of the spam in one place, until the day all of the Melee fans either leave because they don't care for the game at all or at least go back to Melee. Then maybe we will be able to get rid of the forum and replace it with a thread which will hopefully become redundant one day. THEN we'll be able to get back to spamming about why competitive players are all wrong and casual players are right. :p

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Excellent idea.I think the mods should get on this ASAP.Im sick of scrolling throught 10 pages of c**p before getting to what i wany.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
I have a solution. have a mod create a big thread about melee vs brawl. wait about a week, then ban anyone who posted in the thread.
sure we might lose some innocents along the way but you cant win a war without any casualties.

gamefaqs ftw... not really.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
It's a good idea, but in the long run, it's general brawl discussion. It's the ******* of SWF, i doubt it could get worse anyway.

mzink*

Smash Ace
so did you send a pm or anything to see what the mods think about it?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I think it's important that we determine what the best plan of action is before we really present a plan. Discussion is key to develop the best plan of action and maximize the chances that an admin/mod will agree with the situation. We need to sort out details for this idea because it is much easier to get an idea approved if you only have to submit it once. If submitted more than once, it gets less and less of a chance to seem like a good idea, and more of some guy complaining about something needlessly.

The main issue that I'm thinking of is the idea of is whether to make a thread or a sub-forum for this. Personally, I think the sub-forum is better(see my previous post), but we should also consider an official stickied thread. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I'd rather see the debates end, because this is how they usually turn out:

Player A: It's a proven fact that Melee is the better game.
Player B: Brawl is the better game. Player A is a moron.
Player C: Player B is a moron because he thinks Player A is a moron.
Player D: Player C is a moron because he joined in 2008.
Player E: Player A is a moron, because any game with King Dedede in it is a better game.
Player F: Player E is a moron, he only beat me because he could chaingrab, if he was playing Melee, it takes more skill to chaingrab.

And so on... Notice how this goes nowhere.

But if you do have to have the topics, there should be a new section of the board for them. I don't like to have to sift through 10000 topics of "OMG Brawl sucks!" and "OMG Melee sucks!" to find a topic with useful information that ends up being buried under a pile of ****....
Quoted for truth.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Unfortunately some Mods have actively have included them selves to these pointless Arguments.

any ways great Idea. A Sub forum would be great but wouldn't that put the bandwith cost up a bit more?

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Unfortunately some Mods have actively have included them selves to these pointless Arguments.

any ways great Idea. A Sub forum would be great but wouldn't that put the bandwith cost up a bit more?
Yeah, but if we just let the problem get worse, more threads will appear and it won't matter. I personally think that the best way for a problem to get solved is to have both sides just fight it out until someone wins or at least gets bored (Non-violent fights only, of course). I say we make a forum for it. Perhaps a poll would help?

Top Bottom