• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Science Help?

Dark_Bomb

Smash Rookie
Well there is a few theories I've heard. The one that sounds most believable to me would have to be

A **** load of energy crams into one tiny area. Due to being condensed to such a small space ti caused a massive explosion. This explosion created matter and launched it out all over the place. That explosion is the big bang to the view of scientists

They say that the big bang through energy about at the speed of light. This also leads to the estimation that during this moment the universe rose to 1000 trillion degrees celcius for no more than the smallest fraction of a second after the explosion. That I found unbelieveable to an extent for a while as no star core is even remotely near that.

Also, because nothing existed for the big bang to expand through, the big bang stretched and created space itself.

A fun fact, even though planets and stars today are composed of hydrogen and silicon, these recorded temperatures make it out so that these could not exist. Only the more fundamental particles could possibly exist. Something along the line of a photon.

This ended though because the Big Bang diluted causing the temperature to cool down to a point they can exist.

I am so sorry :(
I just had to post that. I'm so sorry.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Hmm so I managed to figure out the problem: 3-hydroxybutanal can be formed from controlled oxidation of 1,3-butanediol. Is this correct/can polyalcohols form aldehydes?
Sorry, I cannot for the life of me remember all that organic chemistry (if only you'd asked 2 years ago!).

But you can find people to help you here:
http://www.chemicalforums.com/

Grandeza

Smash Master
Hey i guess I'll bump this thread for help. I'm in 9th grade taking freshman bio and couldn't find the answer to this question.

What are the differences between the Singer/Nicholson and Daveson/Danielli model of the cell membrane?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
In all these years of bio, I have never heard the terms Singer-Nicholson model or Daveson-Danielli model. Apparently, the well-known fluid mosaic model is the "Singer-Nicholson" model. I'd never even heard of this "Daveson-Danielli" model until Wiki'ing it. Anyway, Wikipedia's got good entries on both:
wikipedia on the fluid mosaic model said:
According to the fluid mosaic model of S. J. Singer and Garth Nicolson 1972, the biological membranes can be considered as a two-dimensional liquid where all lipid and protein molecules diffuse more or less freely.
Basically, this says that the lipid bilayer is made up of phospholipids that can move around in the membrane, and that there are proteins/other things in the phospholipid bilayer that move around as well.

wikipedia on the davson-danielli model said:
In 1935, Hugh Davson and James Danielli proposed a model of the cell membrane in which the phospholipid bilayer lay between two layers of globular protein[1]. The phosopholipid bilayer had already been proposed by Gorter and Grendel in 1925[2], but the Davson-Danielli model's flanking proteinaceous layers were novel and intended to explain Danielli's observations on the surface tension of lipid bilayers. (It is now known that the phospholipid head groups are sufficient to explain the measured surface tension[3].) The Davson-Danielli model predominated until Singer and Nicolson advanced the fluid mosaic model in 1972[4]. The fluid mosaic model expanded on the Davson-Danielli model by including transmembrane proteins, and eliminated the previously-proposed flanking protein layers that were not well-supported by experimental evidence.
In other words, this model said that the membrane was made of a phospholipid bilayer sandwiched between proteins. Like wikipedia says, we now know (and the fluid mosaic model also says) that there is a phospholipid bilayer, but it's not sandwiched between layers of proteins; rather, those proteins are found floating around in the bilayer.

Hope that helps.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Just finished my Science exam.

Nomenclature is fun.

I don't really like optics, though.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How much evidence is there for humans evolving from apes?

I don't want evidence for evolution in general, just humans from apes specifically.

Seed of Sorrow

Smash Champion

I don't want evidence for evolution in general, just humans from apes specifically.
That's a pretty common misconception. Evolution doesn't say that humans evolved from Apes. They had a common ancestor but neither evolved from the other. It's like, your mom gives birth to you and your sister, and later, you and your sister each have your own families, neither came from the other.

Didn't really look into this source but from a glance it seems legit.

http://www.becominghuman.org/

I need to know some good Marine Biology books.
Anything specific or general marine biology? (I.e. sharks, mollusks, ocean tides etc)

GOD!

Smash Ace

A bit I'd say. I read an article by frans de waal, a renowned scientist who came to our school and spoke. He talks a lot about the ethics of chimps and how there is a similar ethical system between chimps and humans. We're also very physically similar.. if I were you I'd try and find a book or ask a professor, cause you're not going to find a lot of good info on the internet. Hope that helps.

StoneColdBeast

Smash Cadet
hey GoldShadow, here's a pretty amazing bio/chemistry website, not sure if you know about it.

www.johnkyrk.com

trust me, it's worth ur time to check it out, some of the best animations for much of the famous bio/chemistry process out there.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I have a question that may seem really dumb. I know their is a theory (I believe) about the universe always expanding. Well is there a theory that it will stop one day?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I have a question that may seem really dumb. I know their is a theory (I believe) about the universe always expanding. Well is there a theory that it will stop one day?
There is, but it's not the general accepted theory. The theory says gravity or another force would contract all mass back to a single point, like how it was with the big bang.

However, evidence suggests that the universe is accelerating in expansion. This would cause the expansion to accelerate up to a point where it goes faster than the speed of light. Once that speed is reached, the light can't keep up with the expansion and eventually everything would tear apart to the smallest particles. This is called the Big Rip and is probably caused by Dark Energy, the force that makes it so that everything keeps expanding.

Top Bottom