• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need serious help for IC's

copper90

Smash Apprentice
Hello, recently I've picked up the IC's, as a secondary or maybe even my main, and I'm having a hell of a time. First off, I can't beat Luigi, lol. Any tips on that? The other thing, is once Nana or w/e dies, how do you get back on the level? I do the left/right+b but I always hit the side of the level and die. Any help? Thanks. :)

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
When you use Squall Hammer, rapidly tap B and he'll float more. It's more noticable when you do it with both ICs (they'll actually go upwards) but it has effect with only Popo also. The other way you can recover after you've lost Nana is to Airdodge upwards. This gives more vertical distance than Squall Hammer does, but not as much horizontal.

I've never really had much trouble against Luigi... what in particular is getting you?

copper90

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, I'll try tapping B next time it happens. Nana pisses me off, she always wanders and dies and leaves me to die, lol.

I never know how to finish Luigi. He'll be off the ledge and I'll be edge gaurding, but then he'll always shoot way over me and make it back on safely.

Also, are the rumors true about IC's not being in Brawl? :(

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I don't know about the rumors, but an easy way to beat luigi is to edge guard. if he gets knocked below the bottom of the stage he will almost surely fall to his death. if its a comp. that you're playing, they never use their Up B. Humans are a little more difficult though.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I never know how to finish Luigi. He'll be off the ledge and I'll be edge gaurding, but then he'll always shoot way over me and make it back on safely.
Luigi is one of the tougher matchups for the IC's because he's always in the air and he can't be chaingrabbed. So just Up-smash him out of your throws.

As far as edgeguarding goes, the best way to edgeguard Luigi is to just jump out and hit him, but that's not something suited to the IC's. There's not much you can do if he comes in from above, just try to Up-air him or go to where he lands and grab him. But if he comes in from below, then he's at your mercy; properly timed edgehogs are the key. If he's already on the ledge, stand back a bit and watch for him to ledgehop an aerial, you can usually punish him if he misses.

pockyD

Smash Legend
punishing luigi's edgehop is tough unless you have impeccable timing because he can double air or even waveland/down-b off of his first aerial

for edgeguarding luigi, you might have to take some chances and do bairs off-stage

uairs are huge in this matchup because luigi has ridiculous priority all-around and uair is the most forgiving of the IC's attacks range/timing wise

approaching with nair here and there can catch him by surprise, but don't overuse it

overall just a crappy matchup =[

copper90

Smash Apprentice
Atleast it's not just me that has trouble with him, lol thanks guys. :)

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
luigi comp i think is very easy....

i know it's an advanced tactic, but wavedashing with grab and smashes. He has no chance.
When you play a human it makes it more difficult.

i can easilly 3 or 4 stock the computer lvl 9....but i can't beat my buddy that much when he plays luigi. Even though he's basically his main.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
every character is unique in his/her own personal way (even clones). these unique qualities can be either a character's greatest strength or debilitating weakness. with luigi, he has great horizontal recovery but poor vertical (he has pretty much no vert. recovery at all). this is a uniquness of his that you can easily exploit to your advantage.

good luck

copper90

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to get the hang of the matchup a little, I guess. We went 50/50 on the matches today. :)

Xephalon

Smash Journeyman
well im not that good with ICs but they are my main, and my worst fear is my friend's luigi's f-air that knockback is incredible, and since it can seperate climbers, he spams it alot, so i suggest mind games even something simple, such as running toward the enemy and WD back so they can f-smash and WD forward, and downsmash during the lag.

copper90

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'll try some mind games. I hate when they get separated, poor Nana. :(

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
ys get separated from nana too. thats why i taught myself to be a great lone IC. if your keep having problems with nana then just get rid of her.

p.s.: i used an AR code so i always started with a lone IC every battle.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
ys get separated from nana too. thats why i taught myself to be a great lone IC. if your keep having problems with nana then just get rid of her.

p.s.: i used an AR code so i always started with a lone IC every battle.
Nana is literally 50% percent of your game. You should never try to get rid of her. Save her whenever you can. She protects you from grabs/combos/grab combos and projectiles, can provide cover to let you attack, gives you better recovery, lets you CG, infinite, combo, do desync tricks, and doubles the power of every attack. Simply put, you cannot be a "great" IC without Nana helping you out. Sure, it's useful to know how to play with only Popo for the situations where losing Nana is inevitable, however you'll never get anywhere with the ICs if you play solely Popo.

pockyD

Smash Legend
thanks sherlock, two is better than one, i feel enlightened

he was talking about training using only popo, not going solo popo in a tournament or anything

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
thanks sherlock, two is better than one, i feel enlightened

he was talking about training using only popo, not going solo popo in a tournament or anything
No problem Buddha.

ys get separated from nana too... if your keep having problems with nana then just get rid of her.

To me it looked like he was saying that its better to learn Popo because then it wouldn't matter if Nana died. Also, if you are going to take the time to try to act condescending in your posts, please take the time to use proper punctuation so I can take you seriously.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
thank you. i am aware that nana is important, if not imeritive, to playing the ICs. I was simply stating that by learning to play a solo popo one could idealy continue fighting well even after nana is long gone. personally i can put a fight if i lose nana, killing my friends once or, if i'm lucky, twice after i've lost nana.

pockyD

Smash Legend
No problem, Buddha.

To me, it looked like he was saying that it's better to learn Popo because then it wouldn't matter if Nana died. Also, if you are going to take the time to try to act condescending in your posts, please take the time to use proper punctuation so I can take you seriously.
thanks punctuation police

although i really have no idea how stupid you have to be in order to not be capable of understanding what i said because of one extra comma here or there

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
thanks punctuation police

although i really have no idea how stupid you have to be in order to not be capable of understanding what i said because of one extra comma here or there
Did I ever say I didn't understand what you were saying? No. I just don't like the feeling that I'm being corrected by a 5-year-old who is first learning to form sentences. Also, since "No problem" is a sentence fragment, adding a comma would actually be redundant. Obviously a post is readable if you exclude a comma here and there. When you type in a string of lower case letters connected by no punctuation, it's a different story.

FrozenPopo: Sorry... Yeah, I understand now. :p

pockyD

Smash Legend
lol i'm not going to get in a stupid tiff over this any more than i already have

i will let you know that stooping to spelling/grammar mistakes to make a point is generally conceding that you have lost the argument and have nothing more useful to say

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Well, relating back to the thread... If your friend keeps fair spamming, keep your fight on the ground. Desync > Smash + Light shield will probably help out, and since Luigi's fair has a bit of starting lag you should be able to shield grab him out of it. I would say the best way to edgeguard Luigi is the "Blizzard with Nana, smash with Popo" technique. If he gets sent high in the air and decides to shoot over you with side+b, you can use Popo's Fair/Bair (they have good horizontal range) to intercept him.

pockyD

Smash Legend
luigi can up-b under the blizzard

also fair shouldn't be your most feared aerial; that honor goes to dair in my book

finally forget about shield grabbing luigi out of an aerial unless he inexplicably gets too close with an nair; he is capable of jumping/wavelanding away after any of them and a whiffed grab will get you punished bigtime

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
luigi can up-b under the blizzard

also fair shouldn't be your most feared aerial; that honor goes to dair in my book

finally forget about shield grabbing luigi out of an aerial unless he inexplicably gets too close with an nair; he is capable of jumping/wavelanding away after any of them and a whiffed grab will get you punished bigtime
He said that fair was splitting up his IC's, though. I'm pretty sure you can grab him after an fair. True, he can waveland away from you, but in that case you probably won't get punished; you still have Nana open for anything after you whiff a grab (most likely to start spamming Ice Blocks if he wavelanded, or shield again if he is coming in for another aerial).

Unless he sweetspots the ledge with his up+b, you can still smash. If he goes too low then you probably want to WD back with Popo and edgehog until he up+b's, where you can drop off into an aerial guard. Hm, there are probably still ways he can make a recovery, but at least he'll have trouble.

copper90

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm starting to get the hang of the matchup, he only won once today with Luigi. :p. Only problem, is now he uses Fox and he spams the upsmash and sends me with like 89 damage, lol.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Well, relating back to the thread... If your friend keeps fair spamming, keep your fight on the ground. Desync > Smash + Light shield will probably help out, and since Luigi's fair has a bit of starting lag you should be able to shield grab him out of it. I would say the best way to edgeguard Luigi is the "Blizzard with Nana, smash with Popo" technique. If he gets sent high in the air and decides to shoot over you with side+b, you can use Popo's Fair/Bair (they have good horizontal range) to intercept him.
popo's bair actual has a faster initiation and goes 360. you can actually use a bair on an opponent in front of you and be able to attack faster that fair, which like most smashes takes a couple frames before it even begins to work.

however, this may be difficult to pull off against a human opponent so don't go out of your way to use a bair.

i personally don't use this tactic unless i'm in an intense battle that somehow manages to leave the ground.

btw, does anyone know when SSBB will be released?

copper90

Smash Apprentice
Nah, but on G4 it said that it will be out by the end of the year, so that's good, I guess..

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i had a feeling that you would ask me.

first, make sure you have an action replay (is a GC memory card with AR on it, just in case you didn't know).

second, find out which version of the game you have by checking the inside ring of the disk.
this code is for v1.2(latest) and if you have another version you will need another code.

next, find the right game and impute the code.

finally, select the code from the list and follow the directions(remove the disk and put in ssbm)

now, every time you play a match(only VS. mode) you will be a lone popo fighting (sounds like some kind of foriegn film doesn't it).

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
not as long as you have you have the code on.

or you could play 1Player mode which returns to normal(not permanently though)

p.s.: if you want more codes (not necessarily just for the ICs), look up "ice climbers, action replay" on google.

btw, what do you have to do to be able to put pics in your signature?

Top Bottom