• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
http://www.dustloop.com/ggac/data/conv.html

Guilty Gear uses that system too. As do Street Fighter, Tekken and any other "2-d" fighter. For a question like stutter stepping most people would say back on the control stick and forward on the Cstick. They'd figure you out. I like the number system though.

Removing springs from your controller in Brawl is merely a personal preference. Try it out. If you like it. Keep it. Try not to use your favorite controller for a test though.

Germanydabassist

Smash Rookie
What does pseudo-*insert word* mean? like pseudo sticking or a pseudo sex kick?
lol I probably spelled that wrong...

kr3wman

Smash Master
How do you SDI Zelda's U-smash and D-smash to get out of them before the killing blow?

Jasona

Smash Ace
undr was telling me that very few chars can combo. i just figured that since samus could combo everyone could. are combos really that rare? am "i" really comboing? there is a vid in my sig with some examples of my samus "comboing"
i live in a little box where its just samus vs pit all the time ever since the game was released, so i'm clueless about all of the other chars

XienZo

Smash Lord
Combo means that if the game was slowed down to a frame a second, and they were trying as hard as they could to DI out or shield or airdodge or attack, they'd still be doomed. Your vid looked like it had some combos, but they were rather situational. Anyway, Samus has more combos than your average Snake.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I don't understand why such a tight definition of "combo" is so prevalent. I mean, how is that even practical? As far as I'm concerned, stringing moves together in rapid succession, even if it involves some prediction and response (for DI or forcing airdodges or whatever lol) is a sensible definition of combo, it doesn't matter if they could have escaped or if it's situational. So, that's my question.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Ummm... its actually not too important, besides making Sheik feel special...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Searching for DAC frame Data.........

If anybody knows where to Look please respond or PM me.
(specifically, Links frame data but I'll take any leads you can give me at all.)

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
So I've picked up Brawl for the first time in a while... and I'm wondering where to really start.

I don't have a main, and I never did have one. I've always been made of fail (since the day it came out), so I figure this time I need to find a way to keep committed to improving or quit the game altogether.

I tried some spacing exercises with Lvl. 3 comps tonight, since it was suggested to me (the "keep the eyes off your character" stuff, right?). It didn't go very well. I now feel even more stupid than I did before.

All matches are 3 stock, no time limit, no items, all percentages are the damage taken from the indicated comp character:
89% from Lvl. 3 Ness, playing as Marth
82% from Lvl. 3 Wolf, playing as Link
127% from Lvl. 3 Snake, playing as Sonic, one SD included
69% from Lvl. 3 Sonic, playing as Dedede, one SD included
100% from Lvl. 3 Lucario, playing as MK, one fall included

That's all the matches I played tonight. I have a feeling with the way people talk around here that the MK one would be the decisive match, and if that's the case it doesn't look good for me. As I said, I have no main, so that accounts for the different characters used.

At any rate, would this be the right place to start for someone just picking the game back up for the first time in about a month or two? If so, is this a normal or worse way to start off spacing exercises (I know for SURE it can't be better)? If not, where SHOULD I start?

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ I dunno, sorry.

Question: Are the killzones in Brawl all rectangular? I mean, is there a diagonal kill-zone at the top-left and top-right of the stage? Or is the survivable area just a box?

(I'd assume it's a box, and I did some tests on Bridge of Eldin, but I heard a rumour otherwise, so I thought I'd check....)

XienZo

Smash Lord
i read you can pick up snakes box.... how? it just disappears for me.....

also, what does ZSS down+b special do? just a jump?
YOu have to be someone else besides the Snake in the box and then press A next to the Box when its on Snake. It'll still be automnically thrown and will disappear though.

Press A or B immediatly after you input Down-B to perform a kick that can spike. Do it towards a wall (without activating the kick) and you'll automanically wall jump off. Land on a person or item(without using the kick) and you can do a super footstool.

Cero

Smash Lord
^^ I dunno, sorry.

Question: Are the killzones in Brawl all rectangular? I mean, is there a diagonal kill-zone at the top-left and top-right of the stage? Or is the survivable area just a box?

(I'd assume it's a box, and I did some tests on Bridge of Eldin, but I heard a rumour otherwise, so I thought I'd check....)
All stage killzones in Brawl are in the shape of an octagon. Diagonal kills now register as "blast" KO's.
Where as in Melee, diagonal kills would result in a small flash instead of the traditional exploding pillar of light.

infomon

Smash Scientist
All stage killzones in Brawl are in the shape of an octagon. Diagonal kills now register as "blast" KO's.
Where as in Melee, diagonal kills would result in a small flash instead of the traditional exploding pillar of light.
Hmmmmmmmm. Very intriguing. I was able to find some old threads that mentioned this, when I searched for "octagon" lol, thanks for that idea.

But the only reason I've seen cited is the diagonal explosion graphic; which might be purely cosmetic. Do you know of any solid testing/proof? I'll work on it tomorrow if I have a chance.

A.A

Smash Cadet
Is their a video on this forum that shows a whole selection of techniques that can be used for all characters in genral?

I have seen the melee ones and that helped but am looking for one/many on brawl

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Is there a way to make a computer start off as Zero Suit Samus?

♥Thanks in advance! ^__^

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Just a question about DI.

I know that in the steps of being hit there is hitlag and then hitstun.

I also know that to SmashDI you repeatedly smash the C-stick in the way you want to be knocked back.

However, if I normally DI, when do I hit the Analog stick?
At hitlag or hitstun?
And how much time do I have to DI?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I also know that to SmashDI you repeatedly smash the C-stick in the way you want to be knocked back.
You can use both the analog stick and the C-stick to smash-DI. You can even quarter-circle the analog stick, but not the C-stick afaik. (C-stick inputs a tap of the control stick which is why it works.) As long as you are in hitlag you can smash-DI.

I think it's wherever your control stick is pointed as you transition from hitlag to hitstun, that is your regular DI. But I could be wrong.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I have a question about move stale-ing. Does a move become more stale after each use, or each successful hit?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I did some tests, which resulted in me starting this thread:
[Stage killzones are rectangular, not octagonal]

Although my tests are apparently redundant, since it's been reported that the killzones are evident in a) the intro How To Play video (lol), and b) people using hacks to zoom the camera out, etc.

I have a question about move stale-ing. Does a move become more stale after each use, or each successful hit?
If your Fair is multi-hit, then I'm pretty sure that hitting an opponent with any of the hits will cause your next Fair to be stale with every hit... but I could be wrong. Is that what you meant? Also it's weird, I've heard that if you grab someone, say with Lucario since his grab-jab is so fast... If you jab fast enough, successive hits don't stale (they count as a multi-hit attack), but if you allow a nice l'il space in between, you can make each successive hit stale. (Most people want to stale their grab-jab hits to unstale their other moves.)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Not really. I use ROB, and I know that overusing his Nair is a big issue, so I wanted to know if the move's power degrade with every attempt, or every hit?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh! You have to land a hit for it to stale. You can even use stage elements (Smashville balloon lol, etc.) to stale an attack.

False Soundz

Smash Apprentice
I haven't read a lot of posts in this thread so I don't know if this question was asked. (I doubt it)

How do you overcome a plateau when you can't play anyone live. My options are playing CPU's, extremely sucky people IRL, or I can play really good people but usually with lots of lag.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I haven't read a lot of posts in this thread so I don't know if this question was asked. (I doubt it)

How do you overcome a plateau when you can't play anyone live. My options are playing CPU's, extremely sucky people IRL, or I can play really good people but usually with lots of lag.
You can't really. Get your friends better, deal with lag(not a good option) or just accept it. It sounds like you are the best in your area. Why BOTHER getting better if you aren't going to play better people?

Cero

Smash Lord
I did some tests, which resulted in me starting this thread:
[Stage killzones are rectangular, not octagonal]

Although my tests are apparently redundant, since it's been reported that the killzones are evident in a) the intro How To Play video (lol), and b) people using hacks to zoom the camera out, etc.
Wow. Thanks for actually taking the time to test it. :)

Oh, and sorry. It seems I just blindly believed something I read months ago without any solid proof and decided to respond to your question as though it were a proven fact. :ohwell:

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
How can pivot grabing be more useful than a regular grab? Is it faster? If it isn't I can't see how it could be useful, unless you want to use your back throw instead of foward or something when you are near an edge.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's the same speed. I use it for mindgames, because people generally try to spotdodge them, and the pivot grab will take long enough to punish them for spotdodging.

XienZo

Smash Lord
How can pivot grabing be more useful than a regular grab? Is it faster? If it isn't I can't see how it could be useful, unless you want to use your back throw instead of foward or something when you are near an edge.
It depends on the character, but its WAY faster, and sometimes longer. It works best with Olimar and Yoshi. Yoshi doesn't go, "Hey guys, look at my tongue!" if he misses, and Olimar's slides one way and the Pikmin is dashes the other way.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow. Thanks for actually taking the time to test it. :)

Oh, and sorry. It seems I just blindly believed something I read months ago without any solid proof and decided to respond to your question as though it were a proven fact. :ohwell:
No problem at all; it's normal to assume that info on smashboards is correct lol.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥How frequently are mindgames used in a high-skill level match? Rarely, sometimes, occasionally, frequently, all the time...

♥Thanks in advance! ;)

False Soundz

Smash Apprentice
♥How frequently are mindgames used in a high-skill level match? Rarely, sometimes, occasionally, frequently, all the time...

♥Thanks in advance! ;)
In a high level match? I'd say all the time or as much as possible. Tech skill and spacing used to pull of certain moves is definitely important but if you aren't able to land them whats the point in learning them?

You need to able to trick your opponent in order to get hits on him. It depends on who you play and a lot of other factors, but when you're playing a good opponent mindgames are really important in order for you to get hits and kill your opponent. Can't get a hit? Game over for you.

Mindgames has a pretty wide variety of definitions though.

A lot may disagree but this is just my point of view. NP :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom