• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Any character that holds wario high enough so his feet aren't on the ground when being held probably has a grab release combo on him. ZSS and Yoshi can cg him w/ them. Dunno about ganon. Sheik has a raep combo on him, but no one does it.
Thank you so much
This really clears up a lot
But whats this sheik combo that no on uses. Why dont they use it if its ****?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Thank you so much
This really clears up a lot
But whats this sheik combo that no on uses. Why dont they use it if its ****?
grab release > foot stool > fast fall strong bair > full needlestorm > single needle> dashing grab > grab release > usmash.

it does ~55%, and can KO.

no one does it for these two reasons:
1) It's difficult to do
2) No one plays sheik well.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
grab release > foot stool > fast fall strong bair > full needlestorm > single needle> dashing grab > grab release > usmash.

it does ~55%, and can KO.

no one does it for these two reasons:
1) It's difficult to do
2) No one plays sheik well.
LOL I t looks difficult even on paper >_>
Anyways thanks for the help

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Old habits are hard to kill
alas ever since melee I have alot
now its the death of me, I can't stop rolling it really leaves my Olimar and Luigi Open
I want to replace the rolling with (shield down) but I can never time it right, any help would be very nice. This rolling is really holding me back so sad really. If I don't get past it I wont progress as a player.​

SCOTU

Smash Hero
solution: where you would roll, just DON'T HIT A SIDE DIRECTION. JUST R.

that being said, what does Melee have to do w/ it?

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
Yay, me for not making a thread to ask. I was MK, I did a ledgehop onto the stage and ended up lying down. I didn't trip. He just appeared on the edge of the stage, lying down. Rewatched replay to make sure too. There has to be some link or simple phrase that explains this.

Cero

Smash Lord
Maybe, you accidentally held the jump button, started a glide and landed on the ground really close to the edge.

That's just my guess.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
now its the death of me, I can't stop rolling it really leaves my Olimar and Luigi Open
I want to replace the rolling with (shield down) but I can never time it right, any help would be very nice. This rolling is really holding me back so sad really. If I don't get past it I wont progress as a player.​
Think about the times you normally roll. Then, think about what the actual best movement is and learn to use that. Force yourself to do it right!

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I have a really wierd question,It may raise eyebrows.

So I main a low tier(obvious)and let me tell you he dos not suck(Not Top tier either),But yet I do not have much problem with The Top tiers,Rather,its with the other low tiers.

I do not know why this is.Anyone?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Maybe it's because you have focused on the top tier characters, which if you think logically should be harder for a low tier to beat. When you go to play against other low tier characters, you don't know anything about the matchup and as a result loose. You may want to learn more about the characters you are loosing to.

comboking

Smash Master
can someone get me a link to the place where they put all the Japanese brawl videos
I can't read Japanese.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of bad habits....how do you stop yourself from airdodging everytime you get hit? Should I practice on a cpu or what? (When brawl came out i was under the delusion that airdodging slowed you down... :urg:)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Maybe it's because you have focused on the top tier characters, which if you think logically should be harder for a low tier to beat. When you go to play against other low tier characters, you don't know anything about the matchup and as a result loose. You may want to learn more about the characters you are loosing to.
Read more about the matchups and know your advantages. Push them. Find some brawlers in your area that play said low tiers so you can get some first hand experience. If you can't, for some reason, do that, then wifi is an OK option, certainly not the best but eh..

Check out the PT boards, Reflex's word is law! (I played his PT, it is INSANELY INSANE.)

lain

Smash Master
lol, melee had rolling, it was just really bad to do. far worse than in brawl.
What are you talking about? Rolling in brawl is so ****ing bad.

just get full control of your mind and strop doing airdodges after getting hit all the time.
LOL. what does getting full control of your mind mean? Doing airdodges in brawl isn't always necessarily bad, as sometimes it stops you from being combod at low percents. Of course this can be punished but anything can really. Also, airdodging when at a killable percent is essential to some characters as the airdodge is actually the fastest thing they can do in the air to recover from hitstun.

Speaking of bad habits....how do you stop yourself from airdodging everytime you get hit? Should I practice on a cpu or what? (When brawl came out i was under the delusion that airdodging slowed you down... :urg:)
It's very hard to stop this tendency. Don't try and practice against non-humans, since you have to wait for and react to being knocked far away. Find the fastest aerial your character has, make sure you have one that's faster then airdodging (poor snake).

I have a really wierd question,It may raise eyebrows.

So I main a low tier(obvious)and let me tell you he dos not suck(Not Top tier either),But yet I do not have much problem with The Top tiers,Rather,its with the other low tiers.

I do not know why this is.Anyone?
A lot of people play the high tiers, thus you are obviously going to get more experience from them and such and learn the matchup well.

HOWEVER, the way your question is phrased leads me to believe you don't play anyone that is good with the high tiers. You should try and do that sometime.

Veng

Smash Ace
What are you talking about? Rolling in brawl is so ****ing bad.

LOL. what does getting full control of your mind mean? Doing airdodges in brawl isn't always necessarily bad, as sometimes it stops you from being combod at low percents. Of course this can be punished but anything can really. Also, airdodging when at a killable percent is essential to some characters as the airdodge is actually the fastest thing they can do in the air to recover from hitstun.

It's very hard to stop this tendency. Don't try and practice against non-humans, since you have to wait for and react to being knocked far away. Find the fastest aerial your character has, make sure you have one that's faster then airdodging (poor snake).

A lot of people play the high tiers, thus you are obviously going to get more experience from them and such and learn the matchup well.

HOWEVER, the way your question is phrased leads me to believe you don't play anyone that is good with the high tiers. You should try and do that sometime.
I always wondered that about snake, I just picked him up recently for some reason and all his aerials are slow. I was reading some were on the snake boards that his dair auto fast falls so use it or something..... but im pretty sure airdodge is like four times as fast as dair and twice as fast as all his other aerials

infomon

Smash Scientist
It's not that his Dair auto-fastfalls, that sort of misleading... the way you input a fastfall'd Dair is different than inputting a fastfalled (other aerial) as a means to escape hitstun and avoid vertical knockback. But you can just as easily use any of his other aerials to accomplish both. Airdodges, while Snake's fastest option for escaping histun (and thus useful for avoiding the side killzones), cannot be fastfalled; so if Snake's headed vertically, use his fastest aerial (whatever it is?) and make sure you fastfall it (which can be done at the same time as inputting the aerial; except maybe Nair lol).

I hope that makes sense ;)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
when DIing, is it better to move te stick up when smashed sideways and sideways when smashed up or just to the corner?
when do you use which stick? i understood that you use C in freeze frames and move all the time.

Im sorry if this has been asked before

Levitas

the moon
Simple answer: DI perpendicular to the trajectory of the move that's hitting you. So if a move naturally hits me up, DI to the side.

Real answer: DI for survival means most moves the opponent will try to kill you with either go up and to the left/right or just up. DI the up hits directly horizontal, and adjust the angle on your DI so that you'll be hit into the corner (rather than just DIing up, which will sometimes kill you if you're light and floaty)

DI for escaping combos is really different. Generally, it mean DIing away from your opponent horizontally and trying to jump out of your trajectory before they can hit you again.

It's obvious which DI you should be doing because if you're in danger of dying, you usually don't need to try to DI out of combos, lol.

Hyro

Smash Lord
How do you DI out of Samus's up B? It seems sooo hard.

What about Link's usmash?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hyrulian, when Reflex Di'ed out of my turtles he would smash both sticks repeatedly where he wants to go..

Try that.

Also, I know you from wifi... you aren't gonna get much smash DI in on wifi, its too far behind.

Tenki

Smash Hero
for (i=0; i<MAXPLAYERS; i++){

say someone is on #1 and the other is on #4 - is there a ratio/multiplier, like #1 having x3 priority/ 3:4 ? ? ? ???
no. It just goes in order.

If something happens "at the same time" to two people, it actually happens to the player with a lower control slot first.

For example, if you have Snake on player 4, drop a grenade as player 1 grabs you, if the grenade explodes, it will register as the grenade dealing damage/knockback on player 1 first, and player 4 will go into the "ow, you escaped" animation instead of the "OW I GOT HIT OUT OF MY GRAB AND I'M DYING!" animation.

Meanwhile, if player 4 had been grabbing player 1 and the grenade explodes, making a hitbox cover both of them at the same time, the game registers player 4 getting hit first, so player 4 goes flying up while player 1 goes into the "aha, you let go of me" animation.

Don't get controller port priority confused with move priority, since that's more dependent on placement and timing more than anything.

More explanation:
Taking a guess from a programming standpoint, they probably have some sort of "loop" that goes through each players going from player 1 to 4 (in increasing order) and makes checks to see if something (like... a grenade exploding) had occurred to each player.

The rest is probably dependent on the order of what they check.

}

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow, Tenki.

I've coded those very loops before, multiple times, in my own game dev experience lol, but I never realized that was the explanation for port priority. lolll....

I'm too slow!

BOODA

Smash Rookie
More explanation:
Taking a guess from a programming standpoint, they probably have some sort of "loop" that goes through each players going from player 1 to 4 (in increasing order) and makes checks to see if something (like... a grenade exploding) had occurred to each player.

The rest is probably dependent on the order of what they check.
Very much understood :D thanks Tenki!

That's also good to know that controller ports don't affect the priority of the attacks either; just the grabs.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Is there a tier list for teams in brawl? I mean something like:

High tier teams:

MK & MK

Middle tier teams:

Etc.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Nope, there are too many variables to consider; there has never been a team tier list (an official one) for any smash game.

ndayday

BRoomer
anyone know how teching works, and care to explain it to me?
Teching as you may know, is when a character hits a wall, ceiling, or the ground while tumbling or in hitstun. To tech, you have to hit your shield button something around 20 frames before you hit the actual surface. After doing so, there is a period around 40 frames in which you are not able to tech.

There are a few ways you can tech. For example:

-Simply pressing the shield button to tech. (on ground) The character goes into a short period with invinciblilty frames and performs a 'standing-up' animation.

-Pressing the shield button when you come into contact with a wall. Your character looses knockback and they go into a nuetral falling animation.

-Pressing the shield button and the jump button to do a wall tech, where you jump after the tech. I believe all characters can do this, it's different then wall jumping. (only a few characters can wall jump, even fewer wall cling)

-Pressing the shield button when you hit the ceiling. You enter a nuetral falling animation.

That's basically it, unless what you're asking for is something along the lines of a formula.

Hope that helped a little.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i suppose i should've been more clear. I know almost everything about the tech (including far more than what you just posted there), the only thing i don't know is exactly what the check is that the game makes to determine whether you tech or not. Also, how is it related to the buffer system?

ndayday

BRoomer
I have no idea. I can only guess and say it would be something to do with the game telling if you are either attempting an air-dodge or a tech. It'd be something along the lines of the game checking if:

(X= number of frames before hitting surface) X>20
If the expression is true, then you would air dodge. If it isn't true, you would tech.

Like I said though, I really have no idea...so this is probably just me saying nonsense or obvious stuff.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Random questions about SDI:
Can you SDI certain Final Smashes (Like marth or ike's )? Can you SDI downwards and tech a Final Smash?
These aren't very helpful here but I thought it'd be interesting to know.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm having trouble facing a G&W around my local. He mimics my friends playstyle a bit, but is a bit more spam move happy with G&W.

He almost always keys into a Dsmash. I try to bit him out of shield but I keep getting hit. This problem is mostly pertaining to my Olimar. I can't hit his when he keys unless I come from the side, when I try to shieldgrab I get smacked by Dsmash. When I Usmash, he killing the Pikman with key, and Uair can't seem to beat it.

Dunno, maybe I'm not timing something right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom