• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
you can't SDI > tech onto a surface that's not in the direction the attack is going to send you in.
I don't think that's true. I've accidentally SDI'd downwards and teched a Falcon Pawnch.

Also, I can't seem to find it, so could someone link me a thread with a list of character weights?

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I have a question.

Is there any thread or reliable source that has counterpicking information for characters??? I REALLY need to know what stages + characters counter who. I keep on losing matches because I don't know how to counterpick ;_;

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Every single character board has some sort of match-up thread I believe. Most of them are pretty far through, but not all of them are complete. If you can't find the information you're looking for in those threads, ask in the character specific Q&A Threads.

If you need a guide on counter-picking, may I suggest this to you?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187501

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I have a question.

Is there any thread or reliable source that has counterpicking information for characters??? I REALLY need to know what stages + characters counter who. I keep on losing matches because I don't know how to counterpick ;_;
while this doesn't sugar coat what you're supposed to counterpick by breaking it down and oversimplifying things to list what some people think to be definitive counterpik stages against characters, it does give a high level overview of the process of most of what you're supposed to be thinking when coming up w/ what stages you're going to counterpick against whom.

Since counterpicking is significantly more than just which stage against what character, I've written up this little article to help people out.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209457

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
So wait, there is one but it isn't complete right? Could someone link me to it? I'm interested.

EDIT: Oh, is there a list of players that were/are against the MK ban? (possibly a thread...?) It's for nothing ridiculous, just a submission for DWYP in which I hope to use some of the more notable players. Any kind of input is appreciated, whether an educated list, thread, social group, or something similar.

Thanks. :)

Denzi

Smash Master
So wait, there is one but it isn't complete right? Could someone link me to it? I'm interested.

EDIT: Oh, is there a list of players that were/are against the MK ban? (possibly a thread...?) It's for nothing ridiculous, just a submission for DWYP in which I hope to use some of the more notable players. Any kind of input is appreciated, whether an educated list, thread, social group, or something similar.

Thanks. :)
In the "no" section at this thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=506

Tofu_Rodeo

Smash Cadet
If you can fastfall while you're performing an aerial, why do you need to perform your fastest aerial to momentum cancel?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If you can fastfall while you're performing an aerial, why do you need to perform your fastest aerial to momentum cancel?
Because it slows your momentum the fastest generally. There are a few exceptions, like Jigglypuff's nair, which has no momentum slowing properties, despite the fact that it is her fastest aerial, but in general, with characters low aerial speeds, once the attack starts it slows down your momentum drastically. This is why you want to use your fastest aerial.

Like Link's bair is his best momentum slower. Since you can C-stick aerials and do any DI, it doesn't matter if any is a fair or bair.

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
If my main does poorly online but i still want to get experience in reading opponents moves better what should i use, a different character like marth or stick to my main?

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Who's your main that does poorly online?

I'd suggest you stick with your main anyway. Sure, you'll read your opponents moves with another character, but if you're going to be using your main during in person tournaments, you need to not only be able to read other people but know what options you have to counter them.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
If my main does poorly online but i still want to get experience in reading opponents moves better what should i use, a different character like marth or stick to my main?
marth's hard online too.

Online is not a good place to practice reading people. It basically punishes you for trying to read your opponent.

MK does good online because you can just push buttons and usually get hits just because the opponent can't react in time due to lag. MK's dsmash is basically unpunishable online.

Online is basicall a race to find the gayest strats that wouldn't work anywhere else.

Most people play online the same way they play offline, so that makes it bearable, but some people realize that you can pick wolf and d-smash randomly without getting punished or pick pika and spam thunder and beat 80 percent of people.

use online just to familiarize yourself with the matchups. and practice reading in live play.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Online is good for learning to not play reactively too. While you can't punish based on reaction, you can punish based on prediction. For example, if I know a MK is going to d-smash, I can run shield and input my punishment before it all happens.

Not the best practice, but not terrible practice.. There is a reason Ally doesn't lose online =]

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This may seem rather odd based on my rank and how long I've been here but I've sort of come to the conclusion that I suck at DI. :laugh: I was playing against this guy today who was surviving smash attacks well into 200s%. I still won most of the matches I played against him but it really got me thinking that I will probably never be a true force to recon with until I vastly improve it. So, with this being said, can someone point me in the right direction? You Tube videos would be well appreciated.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This may seem rather odd based on my rank and how long I've been here but I've sort of come to the conclusion that I suck at DI. :laugh: I was playing against this guy today who was surviving smash attacks well into 200s%. I still won most of the matches I played against him but it really got me thinking that I will probably never be a true force to recon with until I vastly improve it. So, with this being said, can someone point me in the right direction? You Tube videos would be well appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cttJLmAT5PU
^That'd be a good basic video on how to DI, but it's not very helpful with recovery. What you wanna do is use the aerial that ends fastest, then DI/SDI toward the stage to stop your momentum. There's more to it than just that, but it's just a basic understanding. I'll see if I can find you any more videos.

Edit: This one's perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
While DI is a large factor, consider the others.

He could position himself better so he is near the center of stage, for one. Another could be knowing the stage's blastzones, although that ties into DI. By the way, don't forget to learn the blastzones, some are annoying and will have you change your DI, although 99% of the time the corner is the best.

Your character could not be as good at killing as his, although with Wario I doubt that was the case... And your moves could be stale.

Consider all these things as you play, not just DI.

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
i was just wondering who, in your opinion, are the top 5 edgeguarders, not counting MK. Guys who will trash you once you're off the stage

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
i was just wondering who, in your opinion, are the top 5 edgeguarders, not counting MK. Guys who will trash you once you're off the stage
Probably Jigglypuff, Kirby, DK, Dedede, and Lucas.
They have the tools to pull off some good gimps.

Ugg

Smash Champion
Well, this character doesn't necissarily **** off-stage, but he won't let you back on once you're grabbing the edge if he's a good one, and that's Snake.

Peach is great, too.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well, this character doesn't necissarily **** off-stage, but he won't let you back on once you're grabbing the edge if he's a good one, and that's Snake.

Peach is great, too.
Upsmash + downsmash + C4 + nades'.

Peach's dair does fairly well if she floats.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
There are a ton of chaingrabs, and i doubt someone'll ever take the time/ effort to compile an accurate list of them.

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
okay i've had a lot of trouble lately deciding whether or not to use the c-stick for aerials, especially dair. Which is more effective: the c-stick or regular a button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom