• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infomon

Smash Scientist
To clarify...

If you're flying horizontally, you want to hit the control stick UP in order to move diagonally. If you're flying vertically, you want to hit the control stick LEFT or RIGHT.
1. Your DI is your control stick input at the frame on which you get sent flying. So make sure it's not "if you're flying horizontally, hit the stick up", but rather, "if the attack WILL send you horizontally, hit the stick up so that when you get sent flying, your trajectory will be different".
Also, the vast majority of attacks in this game don't send you straight up or straight horizontally. So you'll usually want to be DI'ing at some angle such that your resultant trajectory is towards the corner; as Frown said.

2. As soon as you break out of hitstun, use your fastest aerial attack combined with a fastfall in order to slow down your momentum.
Not as soon as you break out of hitstun. As soon as you can break out of hitstun. Mostly, the reason you want to use an aerial is so that it gets you out of hitstun sooner than you would by waiting it out.

Hope this helps!

Abbra Cadav3r

Smash Cadet
hey everyone im new to these boards but ive been playing smash since the n64. Ive also been playing street fighter competitively for the past 6 years at the local level and melee. and i just had a couple questions.

i just picked up smash and decided to get back into the competitive scene with it, ive done some lurking and still would like to know a few things.

at most tourneys is the original version of the game played or is brawl+?

whats the most competent mid tier character? in melee i played as kirby, i really hate maining high tier characters... idk why it just bugs me to be someone deemed cheesy ( from what i can tell im not touching meta knight ). i also like to have a technical aspect to my characters, preferably the more tricks and glitches i can get out of a character the better. toon link seems like a good choice does anyone with some competitive knowledge have an opinion?

after playing brawl and brawl+ a couple days a peice ive noticed a lot of cheese in the normal brawl, such as funky hit boxes and my character randomly falling on his face. are these normal occurences in brawl? or am i doing something i can avoid doing?

thanx for your time

G&W X

Smash Cadet
So right now I'm facing an MK for a tournament and I main G&W and Olimar a bit of Mario some kirby and few Toon Links so what would be a good strategy because he is a really good MK and punishes most of my attacks....

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I thought you could only change from Samus to ZSS in the beginning of the match. Dont you need a smash ball to change during the actual game?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You can change by taunting. Perform any taunt, then quickly (RIGHT as you start the taunt) do up taunt, down taunt, up taunt.

It has to be really fast, I suggest just mashing your taunt buttons..... taunt 1, taunt 2, taunt 1

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Oh I didnt know that. Thats pretty cool to know.

EDIT: New question: How do you land after using MKs Tornado with no lag?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It has to be the correct distance above the ground, practice the height a little bit and keep playing with it. I forgot how to describe it, but you should land right as he finishes his spinning animation. I'd guess roughly a "Link" high.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I currently main diddy/second wario. I really want a new character to pick up, but I limiited it to a low tier. What low tier does well against peach and kirby?

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Which character has a DACUs which slides far. I know Snake, Link and Sheik do, who else?

How is it performed, is it the same for all characters?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I cannot see any but are there any good guides on range and spacing??
If you're talking about spacing with a specific character, then try looking at the character boards. If you're talking about universally, I don't think so.

I currently main diddy/second wario. I really want a new character to pick up, but I limiited it to a low tier. What low tier does well against peach and kirby?
Hmm... Wolf is low-mid tier. Does that count? He has a minor advantage over Peach and goes even with Kirby.

Which character has a DACUs which slides far. I know Snake, Link and Sheik do, who else?

How is it performed, is it the same for all characters?
Falco, Fox, Jigglypuff, Wario, Diddy and Wolf (which is very queer, since Wolf's dash attack has no forwards momentum).

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
hey everyone im new to these boards but ive been playing smash since the n64. Ive also been playing street fighter competitively for the past 6 years at the local level and melee. and i just had a couple questions.

i just picked up smash and decided to get back into the competitive scene with it, ive done some lurking and still would like to know a few things.

at most tourneys is the original version of the game played or is brawl+?

whats the most competent mid tier character? in melee i played as kirby, i really hate maining high tier characters... idk why it just bugs me to be someone deemed cheesy ( from what i can tell im not touching meta knight ). i also like to have a technical aspect to my characters, preferably the more tricks and glitches i can get out of a character the better. toon link seems like a good choice does anyone with some competitive knowledge have an opinion?

after playing brawl and brawl+ a couple days a peice ive noticed a lot of cheese in the normal brawl, such as funky hit boxes and my character randomly falling on his face. are these normal occurences in brawl? or am i doing something i can avoid doing?

thanx for your time

Most of Brawl's recognized talent plays just regular Brawl and may/may not Balanced/Brawl+.

TL certainly does have a nice handful of AT's. So does Link, Ness, Mario to name a few.

That thing where your character randomly falls on his face is called tripping. It can occur as your running or walking on a platform. If you dash dance it more often occurs. Yes, these are normal occurrences in brawl. Tripping may have been removed from Balanced/Brawl+.

If you wanna know more about Brawl's characters you can browse the character section all you want;

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Any information you need on any character, its all there.

For information regarding Brawl+/Balanced Brawl go to the Smash Workshop;

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209

Theres where you'll get more information about the mods.

Theres also a subform for the characters for each respected mod. So if you need information about TL+ check there.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Where can i find a thread on port priorty? i cant find one at all, i know the basics but i just want to learn more about it.

slot 1: grab priority if both grab at the same time slot 1 will get the grab
slot 4: snake's mine, nades, ECT.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
How do I pivot grab from a RUN without getting a slide everytime? I know that if you pivot while youre still in a dash, you wont get a slide but is it possible to do it out of a run?

I tried it and it seems like its random to me. Sometimes I get a slide, sometimes I dont :ohwell:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if you do it out of a dash the same way you'd get a sticky turn out of a run, then you're not actually pivot grabbing, you're just turning around and grabbing. Pivot grabbing is done by hitting grab, then immediately hitting the opposite direction you're going. If you're doing a sticky turn, then you're hitting back before grab.

Anykey

Smash Rookie
how do i tell if a move is fresh?

Probly should have posted this in the simple question simple answer thread but it appears to be invisible

blukberry

Smash Cadet
You cant really tell. Its hard to really keep track of the last nine moves (the stale moves counter has nine slots) that you used at any time during an actual match. If its a kill move, instead of wondering whether its fresh or not, its better to just keep it fresh. Instead of using said attack and then trying to make it fresh again, you save it until you know it will kill. That way, your getting the most out of that attack since it will be fresh.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If you keep it in the back of your head, you'll know when a move is fresh. The easiest way is to just not use it until you need to. (if we're talking about kill moves. You use those when in kill range.)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
how do i tell if a move is fresh?

Probly should have posted this in the simple question simple answer thread but it appears to be invisible
SD and then come back. It's fresh now. Otherwise, just keep track of if it was one of your recently used attacks.

soul ark

Smash Ace
Are you there god its me margret

no im just playing but i do need a little advice. You see for the past year i've been playing this game semi competitively and when i look at where i started i've made worlds of improvment. I can beat all of my casual friends without a thought and i generally do well against my brother who's a really great diddy snake and metaknight.

Dispite all this a have several huge problems that are stoping me from going anywhere. My first problem being that my game is going no where fast i play as fox mainly and dont really have an official secondary. I try to absorb all that i can but nothings taking me anywhere. Compition my way is harsh ill get knocked out around the 3rd or 4th match and i never really know why so i return home empty handed all the time. Wifi wont work either i try on aib to play but i really cant get in to the tempo i want and im not used to the lag. Really i want to be good and and i know i can be. But i just dont see things moving in the right direction.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well I dont know about how you take Wifi but heres how I use it to get better;

Dont go on wifi to practice tech skill against different opponents. It will just mess up your offline game since lag can be so annoying. Instead, once you got your playstyle down, play online but focus on getting MU experience and, most importantly, adapting to the opponent. This is my first season on AiB but going in with this mindset, I already feel like Im adapting faster to my opponents.

Also, not to be a tier wh*** but Fox isnt that high and so you will most likely face some MU that are very difficult to win as Fox unless youre extremely better than youre opponent. I would advise taking up a secondary offline and then using him on Wifi once you are comfortable.

If you cant go to tournies, then Wifis the way to go ^_^

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You live in new york city, you should be able to find tourneys that you can get to, and when you get to tourneys, and you lose, talk to the people that beat you. ask them what you can do to get better, and try to get some pointers from them. smash is a very close knit community, soif you really want to get better, most people wont have a problem helping you if you just ask for it.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Hey guys. I have a question. If a character is footstooled while on the ground, how much lag do they suffer from?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
None in an animation or in shield. If they were standing.. idk. GaW can reliably Footstool -> Dair, so a decent amount of time. You could probably float then dair, mountain.

superkid

Smash Cadet
Im sorry, im kinda new and from europe, what is a "tilt" and a ftilt is a forward tilt right?
but how do u do a "tilt" ?
and can anybody explain some more stuff like dair and stuff, thanks your help is appreciated

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Im sorry, im kinda new and from europe, what is a "tilt" and a ftilt is a forward tilt right?
but how do u do a "tilt" ?
and can anybody explain some more stuff like dair and stuff, thanks your help is appreciated
Seriously, our terms list should have this for the new people.

A "tilt" is achieved by moving your control stick in the direction of the move you want and then pressing A. Alternatively (and generally what you'll want to get used to) you can execute them by moving your control stick slightly in the direction for the move you wanna execute and pressing A at the same time.

superkid

Smash Cadet
thanks so a tilt is just a normal a attack xD wich is just to a side.. why are all the names so difficult -.- just name it a attack to the left or something
or b upwards..

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
thanks so a tilt is just a normal a attack xD wich is just to a side.. why are all the names so difficult -.- just name it a attack to the left or something
or b upwards..
a attack to the left could also be a side smash, so this is done so that people know if its a smash attack or a tilt

my question...
how do i b-pivot... like what snakes do as they land with a grenade. it may be called a b-reversal also, i'm not sure

ps... urgency is appreciated, leaving soon to go to herb wanna see if i can learn it fast

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
or b upwards..
Because that also describes bair/fair (depending which way your character is facing), sidesmash, and possibly jab.

Since the goal of precise language is to eliminate such confusion, we use names like that at the expense of remembering a bit more. It's easy to remember once you get the hang of it.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
It's called a b-reversal.

It's done by pressing neutral B then immediately moving the analog in the opposite direction that you are facing. Doing it off of backwards momentum causes a larger effect.

Silly Question
What Buttons Do You Press To Get Out Of A Grab
Button mashing. Quiet literally that. Rotation of the control stick, shield inputs, jump inputs, anything really I think will get you out of it faster. I believe I was told that it's like 4 frames shorter for the grab duration for each input you make.

Dont' quote me on it though.

Infinite Emerald, to DI (Directional influence), from what I've read, you hold in the direction you want to DI to right when you get hit by a potential killing move. Though, I suggest you listen to others' opinions...I'm not exactly sure on it.

Ex. Kirby gets maimed by Ike's side-smash (For this example, left). I want to survive, so I hold Right when he hits me. This gives me a slightly better chance of surviving.

Also, you can quickly recover from the attack by doing your quickest aerial attack, then you can get to Recovery.

Again...seek others' opinions, I may be far from the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom