• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need some help beating my brother...

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Maybe you should play defensively then. Works for me, unless the opponent is amazing and has ways around it.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
i wish <_<

Yea i know calm down bro, did link touch you when you were little :chuckle:

If your facing your bro and he's kind of a n00b he's just going to have easy to recognize and punish manuvers..

You can do one of two things

1. Find the patterns and punish them
2. Create an equally cheap set maneuver and do it...

I recommend doing the first if you hope to get any kind of good at this game.
hmm.......

DALegendarySauce

Smash Journeyman
hey teeman, these guys don;t quite understand.

3 things

1) you are not good, so most of their advice doesn't apply to you
2) people who roll alot and predictibley can be countered easily by running and up smashing.
You don;t need to waveshine to beat someone else that's bad, just practice running so you can run to where you need to be on time and then up smash.
3) you must realize that he probably knows your fox very well cause you always pick fox.

as for the charcters

Mario - his throws can mess you up! He;s a jerk. you need to try to do small moves, like jab and tilt. Mario is hard.

Marth- If you can make him miss his fsmash enough he'll stop doing it. If he misses try to run and grab or upsmash that jerk

Luigi - does not have a counter. he'll prolly nuetral air after you hit him. that's kinda a counter.

Link- does not suck. be very careful about projectiles and make sure to shield those big moves and then run and upsmash

Shiek- Shiek is very dangerous. When you knock her off to make sure she dies faster, you should edgehog. This makes her go onto the level. then you press up. and then you upsmash while she is recovering.

All of this stuff is very possible for someone like you, and will make your fox very dangerous to him. Fox is the best character argueably, but not at every level of play. this is why most people are telling you to do this crazy stuff.

So most important is to go to training mode and practice running and upsmashing out of run.
do this either by pressing down to stop and then upsmash. Or by pressing up and then upsmashing before you jump. this later technique is jumpcanceling.

I hope this helped, and good luck.

P.S. don;t drop your controller unless its an emergency.

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
If you're not that good, and you don't plan on becoming pro/semi pro, you should, instead of rolling, learn to spot dodge instead. That's devastatingly effective.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, and grabbing is the least punishing thing he can do about it. Samus Nair's would tear you a new one.

Thino

Smash Master
dont forget he can roll back too,then rolls back i roll back he grabs me....insta lose,this is getting old im abotu to close this topic..soon
1)he tries to grab
2) you jump ( shorthop preferably)
3) he misses you
4) any form of punishment for the poor samus

Thino

Smash Master
let make a story on how i fight

*before samus grabs fox,fox jumps and drill shine,samus shoulder hits fox,he trys to
recover,but he was too late and get smashed, fox gets knocked down again,smaus down-smash.....*
assuming that you're always fighting near the ledge , and after the drill shine you put your controller down and have a drink while he shoulders you , instead of running ; yea the story is pretty coherent

offcell

Smash Apprentice
1.i like it when he yells "hyaa"
2.it looks cool,
3.im preety imposible stop me if i abuse it....
That move was awesome too when I had no idea how to play competitively ;p I could do it all day. I could put down the controller and still do it in real life. Like, a fox bursts out of the screen and just starts dancing and stuff you know?

Binx

Smash Master
This thread is rediculous, just stop using firefox/bird when you are on the stage, learn to crouch cancel his dash attack then just hit up or down on the c-stick, use jumping neutral A's use reflector against his missles, for the level of play you are describing there are like a dozen really easy to do tricks that will make it so you dont lose that match. Just read estebons thread

One thing you should also know to do is not to let your ego get the best of you.

A majority of people think that if you learn advanced techs=Instant win.

Don't let your ego get ahead of you,it will screw you up.Just sink more to their level.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Items are stupid. They lessen, if not completely remove, the natural advantages given to Link, Young Link, and Peach.

Are you sweetspotting the ledge yet?

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
whats crouch canceling?

Crouch canceling is when you crouch with your character to lessen or remove the knock back of a attack. It is most useful at 50% damage or less and can be followed up by a counter attack. It can also help save shield energy and has many other uses.

I have a question myself, do you just want to pwn your bro, or do you want to become better at smash?

Items are stupid. They lessen, if not completely remove, the natural advantages given to Link, Young Link, and Peach.
I agree 100%. When I was attempting to get the diskun trophy I had to no damage clear all star with DK. A box fell on me at the end while I was holding the last G&W and I lost.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
Crouch canceling is when you crouch with your character to lessen or remove the knock back of a attack. It is most useful at 50% damage or less and can be followed up by a counter attack. It can also help save shield energy and has many other uses.

ive been doing that with falco,still he smashes me when i do that

I have a question myself, do you just want to pwn your bro, or do you want to become better at smash?

both,is good

I agree 100%. When I was attempting to get the diskun trophy I had to no damage clear all star with DK. A box fell on me at the end while I was holding the last G&W and I lost.
LMAO,ive tried to beat 15 min melee with dk,bam a bomb blows me up,and i was playing 1 on 1 with my bro,as soon as his health was 150, i smash and a bomb spawned in front off me,....

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
Try not to double post like that. Anyway, learn some advance techniques and check the boards for help. Trust me, the guides and advice given on this forum will assist you greatly.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What? L-Cancels not helping? When you're Fox?

You must not be doing something right.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Again, L-Cancels not helping? Learn to SHFFL and pillar.

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
if you're playing falco you NEED to learn how to SHL (short hop laser). it's one of the better set ups in the game. just keep SHL'ing towards him and when you get close enough to attack, use the frames in which he is stunned from the laser or shielding to combo or grab him, respectively.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You shorthop and then you laser. I don't see what there is to explain about this.

DALegendarySauce

Smash Journeyman
Falco's laser stuns.

If you shoot while standing, the stun wears off well before you put your gun away and can follow up on it. The enemy even has the advantage.

If you shoot and then land you instantly put away your gun and have time, albeit very short, to follow up and hurt him.

During this time gained by landcancelling your laser animation, these people are suggesting that you, do another laser thus maximizing the stun and limitng the time the your opponent can advance or do anything.

The biggest advantage over standing though is that you can move in the air between shots.

A very common usage is: SHL forward advacing until after like 5 lasers you are right next to him, and you are both on the ground. then jump and downAir, then L cancel, then shine, then jump, then downair, then l cancel, then shine, the back air.

Becareful on platform stages. Samus can just upB and put you on a platform and then land below. A 0 advantage timewise but he will have dealt an unanswerable 10% and frustrated you.

Top Bottom