• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some vital information.

Midna-fan

Smash Cadet
To start please do not undrestimate my knowledge based on my join date

now to buisness, I am requisting of you something very simple, I would like to know what makes l-cancel and wavedashing work, I know the "how" I am asking "why".

Thank you.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
L-Canceling was a purposeful technique, it's a lesser form of of Z-canceling(called Smooth Landing on the Smash Dojo I believe) from SSB64. It works because it's programed to do so.

Wavedashing is a really just your character sliding across the ground. The momentum from the slide is created from Air Dodging at an angle the instant you leave the ground with a jump and depending on the traction of the character you'll either go really far(Luigi) or no where(Zelda) It works simply because that's how the physics engine is supposed to operate, you slide when you have momentum against the ground. It was unintentional but its by no means a glitch.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
You mean why it works, technically?
Well, L canceling works because the devlopers put it in the game. Asking why L canceling works is like asking why jumping works.
And pink reaper pretty much covered WD:ing.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Wavedashing works because of the way Melee's physics handle air-dodging.

L-Canceling works because that's how the buttons are programmed. :p

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I heard someone say that WDing was in the Melee "hex code." Could someone tell me what it is and if it is true?

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
No, because Wavedashing isn't a set command like an attack. You don't press a button and instantly wavedash. Wavedashing was unintentionally created because of directional airdodges.

Top Bottom