• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needs some tips on Ike, is he worth playing?

Tienak

Smash Rookie
Ok so bascily I used to play melee alot with a friend of mine for 7 years off and on and I bought a Wii just to play brawl (to be honest)

My old character was link or Roy but now I play Ike.

My problem with this game is the fact my friend plays as Lucas and I find myself hitting my head against a wall because it is literly impossible.

For example if he has the smash ball on (which I take off) He just floats, grabs it and there is a 9/10 change he gets a instant kill. It covers the whole screen and once you've hit one of those...things...you hit anouther and anouther then your dead basicly.

Other moves is basicly his fast lightning moves even if I do manage to counter I just can't knock him out, for example I'll be hitting him using jump, left/right and A or AAA combo etc. He just won't go out just float back in or hit walls and then just one tap and im out.

One game for example, which really put me off the game was the solid snake level and I got him to 140% I was 40%, I hit him against the pillars he goes out of the screen but floats back in, does some quick attacks I can't move and then he throws me into a pillar and im dead.

Even on level 9 CPU lucas which I do 1v1 to train on I CAN win now and again but it is a struggle.

I have looked at the fourms for guides (which I've never done before) and my god...what the hell? "Do a FPA and a TFU after that you move the C-stick diagonly north east and then do a GBJHASD then you MIGHT get a kill" :ohwell: Is there any that use proper english? xD

I don't really like the online feature...I have lost so many games to people who just pick kirby and do down and A and kill steal and seeing how you can't turn it to Stock when you do online...Wifi with my friend is the only key...and seeing how I loose every single game no matter how hard I try or how close I get...it's just really taking the fun out of the game.

I do like Ike he's a cool character but im not sure if im going to stay with him or not...what IS lucas's weakness he seems like the Lugi of Brawl.

Yeah I expect flames and I expect people to mock my gaming style and say their great, hell im not even expecting any help at all but I just want to post my views in the hope that I will get some postive feedback.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Uhm...uh......

Dude, what the **** are you trying to even say? Go to a tourney and I guarantee someone will get bored listening to whatever kind of bs that was, and kick you in the face.

Seriously, please make some sense, don 't spam, I'm begging you. Ike boards are bad enough.

Tienak

Smash Rookie
yay! Thought I get these type of replies!

Why are fourms filled with people with no people skills?

Edit: Oh and by the way reported for trolling.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman

You mean to say "Why are forums filled with people who likes being a jerk?"... If its skills we talking about, you're the one without them since you are here to ask how to improve...

Well, I'll see if I can help out a bit...

Ike = For fun, not really meant to be played totally competitively... He himself actually have a couple nice advance technique you can use, but that isn't enough to beat characters like Metaknight, Snake, Falco, etc... Playing Ike competitively requires lots of "manliness" coming from the player, who has the hax ability to read minds, and the ability to be very patient in any situation...

As for Ike vs Lucas, just do aerial attacks (mostly neutral and forwards) and keep jabbing him to death... Watch out for PK Fire because that will annoy you if the player overuse it... Also, don't wait outside the edge to long or else he'll give you a PK Thunder that'll rack up 30%+ for you being stupid...

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

I could report you for spam. And seriously, your post didn't follow any logical order, and didn't make any **** sense. If a mod seriously is going to give me a refraction point, I'm going to lose all hope in them.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
1. this is why no one uses smash balls... all fl smashes (exept pits) garentee a free kill.

2.yes online sucks (with the "with anyone options anyways")

3. ya the guides DO have quite a few probs but youll get used to it.

4 DONT play with lvl 9 cpus... they dont think... and they cant read you anyway... not good practice.

that is all...

Tienak

Smash Rookie
Rykoshet don't worry didn't mean you, meant Falconv 1.0.

As for the advice...yeah other characters are fine which is really lame because that means that instead of being that I can take on any character and it's all about skill which Melee was about it seems to be a rock paper scissors game now...

Well on the plus side i've heard Mr.Game and Watch is good against him due to his bucket move (down + B) I think...

heh, it's just going to be...

Me: I'll be Ike.

Friend: I'll be Lucas!

Me: Ok...i'll be Mr.Game and Watch...

Friend: I'll be...

and so on.

Edit: Oh and for the trainning...I don't really like online much...sure it's fun killing them now and again but there is something meh when you loose to a player who just floated to the top of the screen and did Down + B.

Might play it more often though...meh not sure.

So do you think I should go back to link maybe? Or anouther character?

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
i spent one day testing out WIFI. and that was it for me, after that day i couldn't stand the laggy gameplay and the long waiting time. although the random players doing taunts the whole match was fun.

ok tips for ike.
patience. learn to block and dodge. i personally have not mastered dodging, except maybe the slower characters, but ike's slow moves are already bad enough, playing with the slow moves AND not knowing how to dodge and block well puts ike at a huge disadvantage. so block, left block, right block, down block and also block in the air it makes you invincible for a short time in the air.

learn to grab more. i know Ike's grab is short, and i dare say if Ike's grabbing range was longer Ike's would rule Brawl.

use the AAA combo more too. one of the faster combos he has, and he is slow if you only use the smashes. learn to jump smash, the jump-Up-A is nice, but my favorite is the down smash. earlier i said Ike's would rule Brawl if we had longer grabbing range. thats because if you play on Battlefield, learn to grab near the edge, throw them out to empty space and smash them down.

what i do for warming up is go to training and set CPU to level 6 and practice grabbing them near the edge, back throw, jump once immediately, and smash down when enemy is below you. the sound of the smash connecting is music to my ears. it kills at low damage percentages. and i'm also trying to find out the character with the best jumps and Up B recoveries to see if this technique really is unbeatable or just the CPU messing up, i think King DDD is the best since he can float/fly up a bunch of time and the Up B boosts him up real high. i think Bowser has the worst jump and Up B to go back to the stage. so far i found most characters with around 35% damage almost never make it back to the stage.

also practice, and fight for real (team BRAWL) against CPU level 9 no items in random maps. the FASTEST way to become strong is to take the Hardest and Toughest road. start with 1 CPU lvl 9, then 1 CPU lvl 9 and 1 lvl 1, slowly keep increasing lvls on the 2nd CPU until you have 2 CPUs lvl 9, then add a third CPU lvl 1, go until you can handle 3 lvl 9 CPUs. me i've gotten rather comfortable taking on 1 lvl 9 CPU, so i'm adding another CPU low lvl on the other team to turn up the heat. also its important to play in team battle, not just BRAWL, you want all the CPUs targeting you, not each other. also no items, with things like the smash ball and pokeballs and assist trophies it sort of does like half the work FOR you, items are for casual playing like at parties...... like i said, longest, hardest, toughest road....

last tip, search for Ike videos on youtube, thats how i learned about my favorite technique, learning from the more experienced players is part of becoming better. i still have not mastered the RAR and i'm handling a lvl 9 and a lvl 4 no problem.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Rykoshet don't worry didn't mean you, meant Falconv 1.0.
1.)You started talking about Lucas, smash balls, and banned stages.

2.)You state some stuff that doesn't make sense since you could've moved, Lucas has like no combos thanks to Brawl's amazing hitstun.

3.)Then you state massive bs that I guarantee you cant quote.

I have looked at the fourms for guides (which I've never done before) and my god...what the hell? "Do a FPA and a TFU after that you move the C-stick diagonly north east and then do a GBJHASD then you MIGHT get a kill" Is there any that use proper english? xD
^None of that made any sense. At all. Those terms dont exist.

4.) Then you go on talk about online.

Remind me, how did that follow any good posting structure for asking for help on Ike? For one thing, if you're going to a competitive site, dont talk about banned stages, level 9's, or Smash Balls. Simply ask for some help against Lucas. Something like

"Hey, I'm having trouble fighting Lucas, any strategies/tips?"

not

"Hey, I used to use Roy and Link and my friend gets Smashballs and I dont understand anything on the site because I dont lurk enough, btw I cant beat level 9's and online sux."

KingK

Smash Apprentice
Try reading some guides if you want to find out what a lot of the acronyms and various Smash-speak refers to. Often guides have acronym sections at the beginning.

Also, try to keep your posts short and to the point. As you have discovered, people don't react positively when inexperienced people come to a forum and make longer posts, especially if they are somewhat meandering.

As for advice against Lucas:

Avoid his Up Smash. My friend plays Lucas and LOVES the Up Smash, always seems to catch me in it even if I'm nowhere close. That move has a massive hit box. However, if you can learn to avoid it you can easily punish them afterwards since it has a lot of lag.

Also, like somebody else said, the best thing to do with Ike is to learn to dodge, shield, and time your attacks effectively. Since the majority of your attacks (pretty much besides your jabs) are pretty slow, you have to learn to only attack when you see openings, and keep the right amount of distance between you and your opponent. You should never be closer to your opponent than you want to be at any given time.

Oh, and be careful off the stage. Ike is notoriously easy to gimp. Don't stray too far off the stage and try to practice sweet spotting the ledge with over+b and recovering with Aether.

Finally, never practice against computers any higher than lvl 3. Practicing against high level computers, unless you're trying out one specific technique (like the guy who mentioned practicing edge spiking) is usually just detrimental.

p.s. for the kirbys online just let them try to down b you, move to the side when they use it, and then attack them with an ftilt, jab combo, or dash. somebody who carelessly uses kirby's down b, especially from high in the air, will be very easy to punish.

Tienak

Smash Rookie
In consideration with Lucas it isn't his Up+A move that gets me what I usualy do it play against a level 9 CPU and practice Ike's counter on him, if I time it right which is just before Ike's foot touches his head then I can get him.

It's all of his close range lightining moves that get me, there so quick and by the time i've done something im already dead.

I'll give this timing Idea a go but im not sure I 100% understand, what would be awsome is if there was a video to show all these strange words, Yeah i've read the guides but I want to play a game not try and translate what all these complicated meanings are.

But anyway, tried Mr.Game and watch on lucas and it was so much easier and also to my hatred, Kirby by flying up into the air and doing Down+B made me win every single game. Even if he used his final smash I would just time it right and do Down+B turn into a rock and if I was unlucky I would at least be hit by one of his energy...things...

To me I think Lucas is so over powered, he's tiny, good melee, good Ranged and hard to knock out (floats back) Shame nintendo just leave the games to rot and not patch them or anything like that, could easily be done but there you go..

Edit: Just read Wander7's post. I personaly don't mind Ike's recovery moves at all to be honest, his Right + Left B move is good if your floating in mid air and if timed right I can make the person er...edge guarding? Go flying.

But IF im on the edge and some character is waiting for me so he or she can knock me out I just drop and do Up+B usualy the sword will hit them and knock them back slightly giving me time to get up OR do the move again as a clear "Back off!" move.

I know my posts sound like a whine but i've played Melee for 7 years, never went on the fourms and I never knew about all these strange meanings, I just played the game. Back then the most over powered character on that was Luigi, for some reason he would have these amazing moves that didn't seem to great but in pratice would knock you out in seconds.

I don't really give a **** about Tournaments I have a job that is more important and needs more of my time I just need to know how I can stand a chance against this ridiculous character.

But anyway, thanks for the tips all those who gave them, i'll give it a go and see what happens.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'll give this timing Idea a go but im not sure I 100% understand, what would be awsome is if there was a video to show all these strange words, Yeah i've read the guides but I want to play a game not try and translate what all these complicated meanings are.
Though it is not Brawl, for Melee a person named Wak made three advanced technique instructional videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM&feature=related
They are very good videos and even though a lot of terms are obsolete in Brawl(Wavedashing and L-canceling being the big ones) I still recommend you watch them, especially if you still like to play Melee. They really helped me back in Melee. Just remember that not all techniques are usable in Brawl.

I don't believe there is anything like that for Brawl(we haven't found everything yet so there would be no point to it now) but you can read this http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187873 .

Also, don't make you're post so long winded, it makes it hard to find something to say. You can't really blame Falconv1.0 for what he said, your posts are a mess.

Tienak

Smash Rookie
Well there was need to be rude. How come four people understood it and gave postive critism and advice but he didn't? He's just takes pleasure in being a ******* (bullying) people, some people will not do anything others will do the only thing we CAN do on fourms and that's report.

The reason I made a long post is to give people a clear understanding on what it was im after and it must of been fine because people have understood it, even yourself.

You get people like Falconv1.0 on all the fourms and I know how to deal with them, people like him ruin gaming communites. If I wasn't as thick skinned as I am I would never go back to this fourm again I might of even sell Brawl thinking the community are just like him.

I mean I mean no offense but I don't want to give any of you my friend key (or whatever it's called) as my first impression is im just going to get people who I find on Counter Strike source or say WoW PvP.

But saying that there are some people who do care about the community and have gave me advice.

3xSwords

Smash Lord

Well Falconv1.0 is like that leave him be. I'll admit his first post was wrong in saying it was spam, but I think you might be overreacting a bit.

You might think I'm being an *** for saying that but for the benefit of future visits, please realize that if somebody is pissin' you off, in this case Falconv1.0. Then, you have to calm down, counter all his arguments or insults, and basically make him realize that you just ownd his ***. You never disputed the argument he put a little earlier, next time please do. Even a guy like Falconv1.0 will take a seat after he realizes he just got "wtf pwnd."

Anyway hope you can put this experience behind you. As you can see there are a lot more nice people out there, and have fun with Ike. Just PM one of the guys here that you feel were helpful, for tips on how to play Ike or for help explaining the guide. I'm sure that will be a lot easier for you.

Tienak

Smash Rookie
You have to ask yourself...

* Spend all day arguing

or

* Report and let him know his beaviour is not acceptable.

I can understand if there are player who are still at school and still have this "Don't grass" mentality but I really can't be bothred to argue with trolls, it's what they want after all.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Even a guy like Falconv1.0 will take a seat after he realizes he just got "wtf pwnd."

No one on the Ike boards has really wtf pwnd me.

And lol, his post asked extremely broad questions, stated some stupids stuff, and left people with little to work with.

I dont get how talking about walls, smashballs, or online adds to this discussion in anyway. Not to mention he listed no problems against Lucas, just "he does some quick attacks and I cant block them. Either take my advice and actually lurk more, and understand how to ask questions, or keep blowing this bs out of proportion.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I just picked up Ike and am already winning...I mean I just chose him and ***** hard. It's a good alternative from my Yoshi.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
I just picked up Ike and am already winning...I mean I just chose him and ***** hard. It's a good alternative from my Yoshi.
You are gonna get over 9000 replies on how ike does not **** and how you are playing a lot of noobs in 5.....

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
I'd list a bunch of strategies for you to use, but Lucas isn't THAT big of a threat, and Ike has some advantages that you could easily use.

First off, I have to ask...how could you not kill him at 140 percent? lol Ike is one of, if not the best KOer in the entire game. Or at least one of the most powerful characters.

Really, just charge up your smash attacks and try to mess up his timing; mix up how long you hold certain smash moves. Use "AAA". A lot. It does great damage and annoys the hell out of the opponent. Ike's Nuetral B (Just hit B), is really strong, a great ledge guard (an attack that's useful for when your opponent is trying to get back on stage), and has super armor frames...which means if you release the attack at the right time, no matter what.....you'll stay put, while the attack hits your opponent.

Also, just because you need to know:
Uair= Up Air (up aerial attack)
Dair= Down Air (down aerial attack)
Fair= Forward Air (forward aerial attack)
Bair= Back Air (holding back and using an aerial attack)

Hope this helped.....did my best to make it "new to the game" friendly. :p

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Ike's Nuetral B (Just hit B), is really strong, a great ledge guard (an attack that's useful for when your opponent is trying to get back on stage), and has invincibility super armor frames...which means if you release the attack at the right time, no matter what.....you'll stay put, while the attack hits your opponent.
Fix'd.
10eruptions

3xSwords

Smash Lord
No one on the Ike boards has really wtf pwnd me.
Yeah that's the problem :laugh:

Personally I have no prob with you. You see directly to the point and know what your talking about, and that's good, just wish you would phrase your thoughts a little nicer you know ;)

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Tienak, some simple advice. In my guide (stickied here) I explain all the terms I use. Read through the attack section, even though you might think "hey I know what each attack does", it also explains their uses a bit and tells you what we call them here. If you don't understand any of the terms, just ask.

Second, don't worry about stuff too much, everything that's difficult and that you won't find in normal play has been taken out of Brawl. In Melee you would probably not even know what button your opponent was pressing if you played them, but in Brawl it's all basic attacks so there is no use to learn about wavedash/l-cancel/shuffle etc...

Third, schilding and "spot-dodging" (shield and down) are really important to learn. So is the "air-dodge" (shield in the air). If you can implement these well you won't have as much trouble with a single attack or character anymore.

Fourth, turn off those smashballs and any other items. Any advice is useless when the opponent can just use an item. We know all the attacks lucas has and how he can use them so we can help you with that. However, if you play we items we can't possibly know what he's holding and what you should do. It's also way more fun without them.

Fifth, welcome to the boards. I'm sure you can learn a lot here. Just try to ignore posts that you find useless or something don't make long posts arguing with people when you just want some advice. I have to read through and entire cat-fight before I can help you.

Tienak

Smash Rookie
Thanks.

Well to answer I.E's question and to help Falconv1.0 understand a little bit better, the example was that on the Metal Gear Solid level at 140% all he would do was hit the two pillars (walls) either side and just NOT go out, yup ike hits hard and hense why I just couldn't understand why he wouldn't just go out. No matter what I did.

And yes Empy, I must say you gave me the same point of view I have of dutch people...Their the nicest people in europe hands down.

Anyway back on Smash bros. Played as Ike for a bit when I was round a mates and played as Ike and did ok. Wasn't as bad as it was last time as I would just jump into him and do counter a few times which would get him then do forward low jump and A, which would do quite a bit. Still lost against him alot but...played as Mr.Game and Watch and did loads better.

What gets me with Lucas is his quick attacks, like the (I think) down A move and then forward A. It's not like Ike where it's just one whack and you've got a load of damage right there, it's the damage he manages to stack up. Yeah I can counter but doesn't mean it works all the time.

He's defintly a tricky fight...

JuniorToons

Smash Apprentice
Ok, Ike is really a character worth playing if you can use him right, so yeah, keep working on him. Plus, you can dodge his attacks and his Final Smashes you know that. You just have to be carefull. Oh, and Ike is a strong tier, but his recovery is a little bad, so yeah. Well, keep trying is all I got to say.

Tienak

Smash Rookie
Played online last night, MR.Game and Watch and Ike I played as.

Won a few games as MR.G&W but the best kill was on Ike...

Luigi managed to the hammer and started coming towards me with it, I used neutral B and charged up my attack until he got close enough, as soon as he got close I let it go and blasted him off the stage, poor luigi.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Just want to add, Don't get grabbed by Lucas, his throws have some strong knockback I'll say...

D

Deleted member

there's irony. "I want help so I'm going to piss them off."

GG @ self.

Tienak

Smash Rookie
Heh what do you expect me to say?

"Oh thank you for being rude towards me, I love it. Can I have more rude people please?"

Good job there are at least some players here who are decent instead of acting like jerks all the time.

PassWurD

Smash Journeyman
I prolly shouldn't be doing this, but im too lazy to know that date, but anyways, stop crying, oh noes, someone hurt your feelings over the internet, if you cant handle it, uninstall your internets for the sake of EVERYONE, than maybe you will get a bit less "rudeness" :D

Also, this could have been avoided by ignoring him, instead you kept provoking the argument...

There's your lesson for the day, ENJOY!

Tienak

Smash Rookie
If you don't report people for being jerks you will end up with people beliving it's ok to be rude to each or rather have a competition, reporting someone alows the moderator to tell this person that his or her attitude is unacceptable and hopefully in time your community is a much better place to be.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
If you don't report people for being jerks you will end up with people beliving it's ok to be rude to each or rather have a competition, reporting someone alows the moderator to tell this person that his or her attitude is unacceptable and hopefully in time your community is a much better place to be.
You can't report people for being brutally honest, no mod is going to delete Falcon's post and by trying to get him in trouble you're going to look much worse then he does. You're on the internet, people can and will be an *** and there is nothing you can do about it.

For your sake I suggest you ignore people you do not want to hear, otherwise you'll become the hated one.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You can't report people for being brutally honest, no mod is going to delete Falcon's post and by trying to get him in trouble you're going to look much worse then he does. You're on the internet, people can and will be an *** and there is nothing you can do about it.

For your sake I suggest you ignore people you do not want to hear, otherwise you'll become the hated one.
^This

I dont really go straight for personal attacks dude, I just tell you to lurk moar. I mean your post was devoid of any really logic following it, and the way you talked you didn't actually know what you were really talking about.

Like I said "I need help with Lucas-Banned stages-I use items!-I dun like online"=basic summary of your post. Now please stop sitting around and crying, and get on with life man, otherwise whenever you're around, only negativity will be associated with your name.

Top Bottom