• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nerfing Crouch Cancel and other questions

ChefSeth

Smash Rookie
I want to put together a rebalanced build of melee to match what kind of game I'd wanna play, just to have fun with friends or maybe mess with at smash fests. That being said I have some questions.
1. Can I nerf Crouch canceling to only work at certain specific percentages? How much control do I have over this in general?

2. Can I make falcon's side b grab the edge and can I make his up b actually sweet spot safely? I dont think SD remix makes his side b grab ledge

3. Can I buff the startup of moves? For example making DK's fair come out faster

4. How much can I mess with shield stun? Can I give moves more shield stun?

I'm hoping someone can either answer these for me or just point me somewhere I can find the answers myself. I'm having a hard time finding things on smash boards tbh so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I want to put together a rebalanced build of melee to match what kind of game I'd wanna play, just to have fun with friends or maybe mess with at smash fests. That being said I have some questions.
1. Can I nerf Crouch canceling to only work at certain specific percentages? How much control do I have over this in general?

2. Can I make falcon's side b grab the edge and can I make his up b actually sweet spot safely? I dont think SD remix makes his side b grab ledge

3. Can I buff the startup of moves? For example making DK's fair come out faster

4. How much can I mess with shield stun? Can I give moves more shield stun?

I'm hoping someone can either answer these for me or just point me somewhere I can find the answers myself. I'm having a hard time finding things on smash boards tbh so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
1. To nerf crouch canceling, you first need to understand how it works. Crouch canceling is the combination of two different mechanics. One is crouch armor, which reduces knockback by 1/3 when you are hit during the Squat or SquatWait animation. The other is ASDI down. ASDI can move your character up to 3 melee units on the first frame of hitstun and it combined with the knockback movement on the first frame of hitstun. If you ASDI down and the knockback of the move sends you less than [3+your character's gravity] units vertically, the net effect will be negative, i.e. it will push you into the ground. If you ASDI down and the knockback of the move sends you greater than [3+your character's gravity] units vertically, the net effect will be positive, you won't collide with the ground, and you'll go flying off normally. At low percents, colliding with the ground using ASDI down will cause you to cancel your hitstun into the Landing animation, which has 4 frames of lag. Practically actionable instantly. At higher percents, ASDI will cause you to hard collide with the ground and enter DownBound if you don't tech, and Passive* if you do tech. You don't need to be crouching in order to get the crouch cancel effect. ASDI down alone is sufficient often. Crouching helps you by reducing knockback making ASDI down effective to higher percents.

You could nerf CC by reducing the knockback armor of crouch to something less than 1/3, or you could reduce the distance that ASDI moves you. Doing the second option would cause players to simply not collide with the ground and be knocked into the air except at lower percents.

You should be careful with your "balancing" changes. Without ASDI down, Fox's nair because much much much stronger. ASDI down is essentially the only thing preventing Fox from nair-planing at opponents with impunity below 40%. Without ASDI, Fox's nair into shine is more or less unpunishable whether it connects with a shield or a hurtbox. The only option is to avoid it, which is difficult against the fastest and most maneuverable character in the game.

2. Idk :/ For up-b you'd probably have to change the animation of the move so his legs don't stick up when he does a somersault. Changing animations in Melee is something I don't believe has been solved yet. For side-b, it might be easier. There is probably some flag in the code that controls whether or not a character can grab a ledge in a certain animation.

3. Yes. Idk how. I don't know much about game modding. But I know Magus has written a code for accelerating move animations which you could use to achieve this. It's how they did it in SD Remix.

4. There is a shieldstun formula in the code. Alter that to change shield stun. Changing the length of the shieldstun animation might also change the shieldstun length, idk.

For more technical information about the game, look through the Melee Library linked in my signature.

ChefSeth

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for your help, I knew that asdi down and crouch armor were different but I didn't know the intricacies of crouch armor. It's crouch armor that I want to nerf I think. The shield stun animation being lengthened or shortened definitely nerfs or buffs shield stun like I wanted, you can do that in CrazyHand I'm pretty sure. The animation speeding up or slowing down can be done in CrazyHand too so I've got that covered. Do you know how I'd go about changing things like the crouch armor or shieldstun formula? Would I have to use something like HexEdit?

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Thank you so much for your help, I knew that asdi down and crouch armor were different but I didn't know the intricacies of crouch armor. It's crouch armor that I want to nerf I think. The shield stun animation being lengthened or shortened definitely nerfs or buffs shield stun like I wanted, you can do that in CrazyHand I'm pretty sure. The animation speeding up or slowing down can be done in CrazyHand too so I've got that covered. Do you know how I'd go about changing things like the crouch armor or shieldstun formula? Would I have to use something like HexEdit?
I think you can change crouch armor in Crazy Hand individually for each character. For shield stun, you'd have edit the hex code.

ChefSeth

Smash Rookie
How do I do that lol I'm sorry, I'm still pretty new to this stuff
EDIT: I probably have to use HexEdit, which I've never done and know nothing about. I'm installing it now though and I'll try to piece things together just from that

Last edited:
Top Bottom