• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ness can reflect with his forward smash

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yep, it's tight ain't it?

Lucas can't do that, can he? Just wondering.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Why reflect when you can use your psi magnet? Yes, it's cool, but it can be hard to time. I usually use it when I'm being riddled by fox's lasers ,then psi magnet, then reflect, then psi magnet. Usually they're not so stupid that they wouldn't learn the first time around, but I've met a couple guys that are that stupid. I normally use reflect on corneria, just because I can always reduce my percent with the arwings...

Levitas

the moon
Are you talking about melee or brawl? Neither psi magneting nor batting the fox lasers are good plans in melee...

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
Why reflect when you can use your psi magnet? Yes, it's cool, but it can be hard to time. I usually use it when I'm being riddled by fox's lasers ,then psi magnet, then reflect, then psi magnet. Usually they're not so stupid that they wouldn't learn the first time around, but I've met a couple guys that are that stupid. I normally use reflect on corneria, just because I can always reduce my percent with the arwings...
It's not like you are stuck doing one or the other. You can't magnet every projectile though so now you can send them right back, he can both heal and reflect, which just adds more to his versatility as a character...

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Yo Ness fans i want your wii numbers. I want to test my skill but only against the best of the best. I know that brawl doesn't use wii numbers, but I can always contact you with your wii number and ask. Please... I want to know how I measure up to the best of the best.

Levitas

the moon
Dude, if you've never been to a tournament, you don't measure up to the best of us at all. If you have, it depends on what kind of tourneys you've been to, and you should have some idea.

If you want to play brawl online, hopefully it won't suck, and also, just pm people closer to when it comes out. I'd be happy to play whoever, but limited time, you know...

In any event, that's all I have to say about that. (BTW, I suck at this game when you compare me to anyone who makes decent money at melee. That said, if you don't know where you stand, I'd probably fourstock you without breaking a sweat.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I've never even been in a tournament. I only consider myself to be decent because I've beaten everyone I've ever played. You probably could own me, but at least I'd be able to learn from a Ness player that's better then me. It may be quick, but at least I'd learn a thing or two.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Honestly, I've never even been in a tournament. I only consider myself to be decent because I've beaten everyone I've ever played. You probably could own me, but at least I'd be able to learn from a Ness player that's better then me. It may be quick, but at least I'd learn a thing or two.
*isn't trying to sound stalkerish*

well it would help if we know what state you are in. I ain't playing someone in cali (unless it's someone good).

I wanna practice against the people I have a chance of meeting in a tournament.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
I live in California. I don't know where I stand in terms of talent so I guess you can decide whether I'm worth it or not. Chances are you'll finish me off quick anyway. I just wanna be able to learn a couple things. ................. I don't even know how to DJC....................... *whimper*

Levitas

the moon
Hey, learning's the important thing. Looks like you're much closer to Ademisk, I'm in the midwest, and thesage is on the east coast. Simna's out by you, as well. He'll say something like "The global Smasher Compendium blah blah blah" or something. Then you'll know more about who smashes near you.

Lag dependant, I'll play you. But somehow, I doubt that the lag will be so forgiving...

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
Hey, learning's the important thing. Looks like you're much closer to Ademisk, I'm in the midwest, and thesage is on the east coast. Simna's out by you, as well. He'll say something like "The global Smasher Compendium blah blah blah" or something. Then you'll know more about who smashes near you.

Lag dependant, I'll play you. But somehow, I doubt that the lag will be so forgiving...
I guess that means if i want to pit myself against one of you it will have to be thesage since im on the east coast too. So i guess here's my official challenge, though it won't be for a while as i want to play with brawl long enough to stand a chance before the match happens.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I guess that means if i want to pit myself against one of you it will have to be thesage since im on the east coast too. So i guess here's my official challenge, though it won't be for a while as i want to play with brawl long enough to stand a chance before the match happens.
Thanks. Hope to see you online

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I'm in Oregon. It'd be cool to do some online play with some of the California guys when the game's released here.

I've only been to a few tournaments, but I play regularly with those who do attend, and hold my own.

I also wanted to verify ... Lucas absolutely can reflect with his stick. I do it all the time. Obviously you can't absorb HP from projectiles when you're at 0%, and sometimes a big projectile might be a good killing blow, so reflecting like this is quite useful.

By the way, I like your sig, Sage.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
its not 'automatic' the reflect hitbox is just bigger. If you look at the hitbox on his bat in Melee

You see the green reflecting hitbox around his body. Now, in Brawl, imagine that green hitbox taking the exact shape of the bat's hitbox. That's how it works now.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
So, where the green hitbox is now is no longer protected? So if I bat reflect as I did in Melee, I'm likely to get hit? Or is the red hitbox added to the old one?

I guess that would be a bit too much, seeing as how you could reflect from behind before.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I've yet to test it from behind, I plan to this weekend. All I know is that the bat reflects in its entirety, I've tested enough to state that.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
There's a thread that covers this in Ness's character section somewhere.

In my mind, Lucas's PK Magnet beats Ness's hands down. What Ness has above Lucas is not measured in single moves. He can attack much faster at close range and combo more effectively. His killing moves are more numerous and reliable. That's a quick, general summary, but look in the "Ness vs Lucas" thread if you want to know more.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
In my mind, Lucas's PK Magnet beats Ness's hands down.
Ness' can block his *** though. This is very useful in many situations. Lucas' guards one side, and i have heard people say that he turns around...i haven't seen it. In fact i have seen Lucas get hit from behind by many absorbable projectiles while his magnet was out. And even if he does turn around sometimes automatically, that still can't protect from attacks either above or below him(like...maybe an enemy Ness' PKT?)

Ademisk

Smash Champion
He doesn't NEED to turn around, he absorbs from both sides without turning around.

Lucas's stick thing does the same thing as Ness's bat with less range and more speed.

Lucas's PSI Magnet hurts, Ness's PSI Magnet just has slight knockback.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Ness' can block his *** though. This is very useful in many situations. Lucas' guards one side, and i have heard people say that he turns around...i haven't seen it. In fact i have seen Lucas get hit from behind by many absorbable projectiles while his magnet was out. And even if he does turn around sometimes automatically, that still can't protect from attacks either above or below him(like...maybe an enemy Ness' PKT?)
That's really strange. I've seen this happen all the time. I use it regularly.

In one case, I had to keep shouting at my team mate "SHOOT THE F'ING PROJECTILE" when he was supposed to refill my life with Lucario's Aura Sphere. He thought it would hit me in the back because I was turned away. When I insisted, he shot it and I turned around to absorb it. I've seen it happen numerous times since then to the same effect. I've actually been playing Lucas a lot more than Ness lately, because I need more play time to learn him.

The only time I could imagine this being a problem is if he were being hit with projectiles from two directions at once, which, obviously, does not happen often. In fact, I have never seen Lucas get hit with an absorbable projectile from behind when using PK Magnet.

I've run specific tests, and there's nothing I see in Ness's PK Magnet that has an advantage over Lucas's. Lucas's is faster, has attack potential, and does cover from both sides. Ness's still does the job, however. A great move, but Lucas's is better.

EDIT: Ness's PK Magnet damages a little as well? Now that, I haven't seen.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Please do. That seems odd to me. I could swear I've used it that way in the air. I'm thinking in particular of absorbing Pit's arrows while trying to recover, but I could be mistaken.

Are we certain he didn't just deactivate it at a key moment? When I play it slowly I see there's a noticeable dim in the field just before he's hit. But that could just be the move's pulsing. It does deactivate very quickly. (See around 3:30 for an example of a quick deactivation. One pause frame, it's there, the next, it isn't.)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I think his psi magnet failed cuz it hit his foot. Lucas' psi magnet doesn't cover him from below or above I guess.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
I think his psi magnet failed cuz it hit his foot. Lucas' psi magnet doesn't cover him from below or above I guess.
my point exactly, even if it does protect both sides simultaneously, his head and feet remain open...whereas Ness has them covered.(Not much, but a slight advantage for our favorite red-capped psycho kinetic kid)

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
He's not sure if he did or not, we wondered that. He thought he was still holding it, but maybe he let go.

Proedit: I'll harass him more with pkt while he's recovering next time we play, if no one has a definite answer by then.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I tested, and Lucas does indeed absorb from behind while in mid-air. I tested this with Pitt's arrows. I didn't specifically test it, but I'm reasonably certain he can absorb from above and below as well. I'm convinced he just dropped the shield at the wrong moment.

EDIT: Yes, he can absorb from above and below as well. It occurs to me this information should probably be in Lucas's forum, though ...

Top Bottom