• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ness discussion

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
whats the best aerial to sheild break with? what method do u guys use to djc with ness? After playing around with him i found button sliding from right c ->down c -> A to be good but after like an hour i got a blister on my thumb from doing this.

Moneybags

Smash Rookie
whats the best aerial to sheild break with? what method do u guys use to djc with ness? After playing around with him i found button sliding from right c ->down c -> A to be good but after like an hour i got a blister on my thumb from doing this.
Yeah you gotta live with the blisters man.

Best for shieldbreak has got to be dair.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Bair has the most shieldstun, but comes out too slow. Dair is the best compromise (second best shieldstun alongside with uair) and fastest to come out. Second best is Nair (comes out 3 frames faster than uair and is only 1 frame lower on shieldstun). And since you don't need to z-cancel dair (and uair), dair is even better. Concretely, I find Nair easier though... Of course don't forget to factor in staleness.

To do fast DJCs I personally slide form right C to down C to A and to do extended horizontal DJCs, I slide from down C to right C to down C to A (the last C is useless, but it's just a way to delay the A).

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Bair has the most shieldstun, but comes out too slow. Dair is the best compromise (second best shieldstun alongside with uair) and fastest to come out. Second best is Nair (comes out 3 frames faster than uair and is only 1 frame lower on shieldstun). And since you don't need to z-cancel dair (and uair), dair is even better. Concretely, I find Nair easier though... Of course don't forget to factor in staleness.

To do fast DJCs I personally slide form right C to down C to A and to do extended horizontal DJCs, I slide from down C to right C to down C to A (the last C is useless, but it's just a way to delay the A).
how does staleness factor into shieldbreaking?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
^ don't use a move that is stale to shieldbreak. reason is because it deals less damage thus less shieldstun

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
did some practice today and found dair was def the easiest to break with. knowing about staleness made all of the difference so thanks for the help guys. also fair chains are soooo fun im gonna try to get those consistent next

mixa

Banned via Warnings
an aerial chain i found fun was to chain a couple of n/fairs and then do a reverse fair to continue the chain the other way

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
an aerial chain i found fun was to chain a couple of n/fairs and then do a reverse fair to continue the chain the other way
i think ive done that on accident a few times but i dont think i could pull that off on purpose lol

firo

Smash Ace
dair is real good for sheildbreaks but against a taller character like falcon sometimes a dair will hit below his shield, uair or nair are good choices when the shield gets small

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
does anyone know any good ness gameplay vids. they seem to be pretty rare. something from the last few years preferably

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
Using Ness' b-up pikathunder and surprising people by smashing into them suddenly is the greatest... Bonus points for doing this while you're just about to die

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, I have a question about editing Ness's texture in SSB.

I downloaded the Rice video plugin for my emulator, and I can load textures just fine. When I tried to edit Ness, I was only able to edit his shirt, backpack and shoes. I could not find the files that correlate to his hat or his shorts for the Green and Yellow ness. These are the files I have edited:

SMASH BROTHERS#9F6A1D9C#2#0#4147B54A_ciByRGBA.png - His backpack
SMASH BROTHERS#548A9C2F#2#0#2036F614_ciByRGBA.png - The front of his shirt
SMASH BROTHERS#2069E95F#2#0#EE57EF86_ciByRGBA.png - The back of his shirt
SMASH BROTHERS#1FFE6401#2#0#2036F614_ciByRGBA.png - His shoes and socks

There was one other green and orange picture which I tried to edit, but it had no effect on his in game sprite. It was called SMASH BROTHERS#EFCD86A9#2#0#FD520006_ciByRGBA.png

Can anyone tell me what I need to do so that I can edit the green and yellow Ness's hat and shorts? If there is some file that I am missing, could someone please tell me what I am missing and where I can download it?

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Using Ness' b-up pikathunder and surprising people by smashing into them suddenly is the greatest... Bonus points for doing this while you're just about to die
My buddy actually did this in a small tournament. On the right side of hyrule he was near the very bottom and the other guy (captain falcon I think) went down to spike him and ended up getting hit by the ness cannon going upward. He died and my buddy just barely managed to grab the ledge.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this was covered already, but I don't have the patience to look back at twenty pages of comments, but my buddy exclusively plays ness and is rather good with him, and he just recently showed me that you don't need to Z cancel with ness. All of his aerials have zero landing lag. Just wondering if this was common knowledge or shocking info, cause it was news to me lol

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this was covered already, but I don't have the patience to look back at twenty pages of comments, but my buddy exclusively plays ness and is rather good with him, and he just recently showed me that you don't need to Z cancel with ness. All of his aerials have zero landing lag. Just wondering if this was common knowledge or shocking info, cause it was news to me lol
You only don't have to z cancel his uair and dair... All other arial attacks have to be z cancelled

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
as styleisland said, u still have to zcancel his nair, fair, and bair or you will have landing lag!! this is super important for a lot of ness tech

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
You only don't have to z cancel his uair and dair... All other arial attacks have to be z cancelled
Hmm thanks, I guess I'll check it out tonight and see if he knows that too, and by "rather good" I mean he pretty much exclusively uses ness and beats me 60-65 percent of the time.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
does anyone else have a lot of trouble shield breaking when playing online? everytime i land the first hit on shield i never have time to react and start djc pressure before my opponent escapes. this is on 3-4 frames

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
I'm having loads of trouble with Kirby. Specifically approaching in the neutral, but really across the board. Can anyone familiar with this matchup offer any suggestions? Feeling very frustrated lately.

My practice partner is a Kirby main who started shutting me down a while back. We've brainstormed some stuff but my (very few) wins against him come from pure reads and sometimes just dumb luck/SDs on his part. I need a better angle.

firo

Smash Ace
I think kirby is ness's toughest matchup and among the worst in the game, so regardless of what advice you can get, recognize that you'll have to play much better than your practice partner in order to win as ness. Mistakes are extremely costly and you should make sure your ness tech is quick.

In general vs kirby, your safest spot is to be above and in front of him, as he can't reach you there with his f-smash, bair, dair, or uptilt. Being above kirby and on the platforms and approaching with dair or nair is often your best options but if the kirby player is very adept at moving around the platforms this becomes difficult. Ness's bair is his best bet if you find yourself at equal height with kirby as you can get it to trade with some of his moves in the air. Better kirbys will incorporate his nair and this gives ness even more issues.

On the ground, dealing with pivot uptilts is a real challenge. Remember that your yoyo is disjointed, and so if spaced correctly you can blast through utilts or fsmashes. Ness has little reason to be facing kirby, as yoyo comes out the back first, and if you need to jump bair is easily accessible and all your other air moves still hit from the back.

I'm also not well versed in exact percents but kirby dies reliably once he reaches around 90 percent from a uair from mid-dreamland height. You can also forget about recovering and getting up from the ledge is also very hard. A lot of this matchup is just hoping that your opponent will make mistakes.

Last edited:

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I'm having loads of trouble with Kirby. Specifically approaching in the neutral, but really across the board. Can anyone familiar with this matchup offer any suggestions? Feeling very frustrated lately.

My practice partner is a Kirby main who started shutting me down a while back. We've brainstormed some stuff but my (very few) wins against him come from pure reads and sometimes just dumb luck/SDs on his part. I need a better angle.
Its not a fun matchup. I used to play Ness against my friend who plays Kirby, but it just get more and more frustrating at higher levels of play. I honestly suggest picking another character.

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
I think kirby is ness's toughest matchup and among the worst in the game, so regardless of what advice you can get, recognize that you'll have to play much better than your practice partner in order to win as ness.
It sure feels that way. What I'm ultimately after is a gameplan, even if it's tough. With most characters I have a general idea. Like against DK I might try "approach from above, combo to tech chase (or abuse the gnarly shieldstun), throw off & gimp". With Kirbs all I see is up-tilts and sadness.

In general vs kirby, your safest spot is to be above and in front of him, as he can't reach you there with his f-smash, bair, dair, or uptilt. Being above kirby and on the platforms and approaching with dair or nair is often your best options but if the kirby player is very adept at moving around the platforms this becomes difficult.
I've been trying to use short-hops to bait f-smashes/dashes on the ground or up-tilts/up-smashes from the platforms with limited success. The up-tilt comes out so quick that the window is tiny. Needs more practice for sure.

Ness's bair is his best bet if you find yourself at equal height with kirby as you can get it to trade with some of his moves in the air. Better kirbys will incorporate his nair and this gives ness even more issues.
What about Kirby's n-air is especially troubling?

On the ground, dealing with pivot uptilts is a real challenge. Remember that your yoyo is disjointed, and so if spaced correctly you can blast through utilts or fsmashes. Ness has little reason to be facing kirby, as yoyo comes out the back first, and if you need to jump bair is easily accessible and all your other air moves still hit from the back.
I didn't know yo-yo beat up-tilt. Have you found any use for DJC up-air against the pink monster?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
It sure feels that way. What I'm ultimately after is a gameplan, even if it's tough. With most characters I have a general idea. Like against DK I might try "approach from above, combo to tech chase (or abuse the gnarly shieldstun), throw off & gimp". With Kirbs all I see is up-tilts and sadness.

I've been trying to use short-hops to bait f-smashes/dashes on the ground or up-tilts/up-smashes from the platforms with limited success. The up-tilt comes out so quick that the window is tiny. Needs more practice for sure.

What about Kirby's n-air is especially troubling?

I didn't know yo-yo beat up-tilt. Have you found any use for DJC up-air against the pink monster?
djc uair is super unsafe as an approach against kirbs. it takes to long to come out and u will get utilted everytime. if kirby is in the air you might be able to get away with a djc uair and from there you can combo to death from 0%

drewdrach

Smash Rookie
.... I am well aware of ness's suckage. that being said, his spike is really effective and if you can get a grab off at low ishhh damage you can get a kill on many characters. if you play against a decent player though youre screwed

Top Bottom