• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Down Throw Spike! (Video included!)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3ZzYAiWoY

OP Update!

This work by using d-throw on the right ledge of the stage.
You have to grab them so that your back is facing offstage.

What chars it works on on what stages:

Smashville:
Fox
Falco
King Dedede
Link
Lucario
Zss

Battlefield:
King Dedede
Link
Lucario

Pokemon Stadium 2:
Fox
Falco
King Dedede
Link
Lucario
Zss

Jungle Japes:
Link
Lucario
ZSS

Pokemon Stadium 1:
Lucario

Castle Siege (Part 3):
Link
King Dedede
Lucario

Final Destination:
Lucario (If DI towards the Stage)

I did some testing with this and it also works on PS2 (though is almost impossible on the electric transformation). Also on SV against Peach something really bizarre happens. It doesn't normally work against Peach but starting at exactly 941% (lol) and all the way up to 999% Peach just bounces along the ground and ends up knocked down about 1 roll length away from Ness.

Also I tested a number of stages that seem like they could have suitable ledges for this (both Yoshi's Islands, Mansion, Frigate, WarioWare, Spear Pillar, Pictochat, Green Hill Zone, Japes, Corneria, RC, and Green Greens) and none of them actually worked.

Also I have the exact %'s for all the characters this works on (%'s are the same on all suitable stages):
:falco: :fox: :zerosuitsamus: - 6%+
:link2: :lucario: - 8%+
:dedede:* - 9%+

* - I need to test Dedede again because it seems I failed to save my notes after testing him, but I seem to remember it was 9% for Dedede and I have an empty field for 9% for some reason.
hope you guys can expand on the testing and make some good use of this. :)

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
great find dood.... I see how this is really useful..... time to test everyone else at every other percent possible XD (or did you already find them to be the only ones this works on?)

i don't feel like testing everyone.... but it seems you're right

LUCARIO ALSO WORKS!!! ZSS ALSO WORKS!!!! i've tested everyone, so those are the only ones to add to the list....

and it only works for me off the right side of the stage.....

works on BF for ddd, link(terrible angle for link), lucario (but he shoots up and to the right slightly, only between about 30% and ..... 180%..)

works on ps2 for ddd, falco, fox, link, ZSS, lucario

works on japes (middle platform) with link, lucario, ZSS(if no DI, then hits the right platform to stage spike into water; only at early percents... :()

works on PS1 with lucario similar to BF

works on Castle siege (part 3) with link, ddd, and.... i think lucario....

haven't tested the other stages with everyone

also, someone else confirm this....

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but this doesn't seem like much of a threat as long as you press L/R to walltech. And it's not really a 'spike' since they go sideways?

Still cool, though. Brawl's bizarre physics never cease to amaze me. I wonder if anyone else's dthrow has something similar.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
i remember when my friend played snake and dthrow-d me near the ledge, I just fell off....

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but this doesn't seem like much of a threat as long as you press L/R to walltech. And it's not really a 'spike' since they go sideways?

Still cool, though. Brawl's bizarre physics never cease to amaze me. I wonder if anyone else's dthrow has something similar.
Have you tested this to make sure that you can wall tech it?

it looks like a stage spike so it makes sense that they could walltech it. But if they do, you will have frame advantage if they walltech jump. The only problem I see if they can grab the ledge from a normal walltech.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Lol, Brawl physics. I have a replay of my DK literally falling through the middle of PS1 as it's transforming like there wasn't a stage there... XD

This is a very interesting find. Situational but very good. Good thing Ness has a really good pivot grab.

Arcade

Smash Ace
I tried all the characters on Final Destination, but the only one that worked was Lucario and they have to DI toward the stage for it to semispike.

You can definitely walltech it. But it's still a good option to use if you suspect the opponent doesn't know about it.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
People who know dthrow's trajectory know that the smartest way to DI it is away from Ness, which in this case would be towards the stage. So yeah, it's a good surprise move to use on opponents unaware of it.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
This just makes ness' ledge camping an even better option... See guys, ness is meant to camp the ledge!!!
(limits cgs, allows early kills, psi magnet shenanigans, pkt for long range, pkfire offstage opponents, pkt ledgestall, and much more...)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Tech chase some one moving away from the stage, that's already offstage and is gaining height because of the wall jump. Once you tech this it looks like it's a normal X character offstage vs. Ness onstage.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm a little curious about how this looks since I can't even watch any videos on this computer. If it's anything like Fox's d-throw in Melee near the edge, then that's great. Again, if this is anything like Fox's d-throw in Melee near the edge, then teching this still leaves the opponent in a bad position.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Tech chase some one moving away from the stage, that's already offstage and is gaining height because of the wall jump. Once you tech this it looks like it's a normal X character offstage vs. Ness onstage.
I don't know, would ness have a frame advantage over the lag from a wall tech? if so you could semi-tech chase the person, otherwise your right.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Now that I've had the chance to view the video, I can see this being somewhat helpful. But instead of rolling, just pivot grab.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I did some testing with this and it also works on PS2 (though is almost impossible on the electric transformation). Also on SV against Peach something really bizarre happens. It doesn't normally work against Peach but starting at exactly 941% (lol) and all the way up to 999% Peach just bounces along the ground and ends up knocked down about 1 roll length away from Ness.

Also I tested a number of stages that seem like they could have suitable ledges for this (both Yoshi's Islands, Mansion, Frigate, WarioWare, Spear Pillar, Pictochat, Green Hill Zone, Japes, Corneria, RC, and Green Greens) and none of them actually worked.

Also I have the exact %'s for all the characters this works on (%'s are the same on all suitable stages):
:falco: :fox: :zerosuitsamus: - 6%+
:link2: :lucario: - 8%+
:dedede:* - 9%+

* - I need to test Dedede again because it seems I failed to save my notes after testing him, but I seem to remember it was 9% for Dedede and I have an empty field for 9% for some reason.

Top Bottom