• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness in the Matchup Chart

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Vice if you cared, I wanted Pit to be even really badly, but for the sake of time we had to agree (sadly) to a -1.

As for GaW, I'm pretty sure Shaky and I both agreed on -1.

IIRC no one really fought against the DDD -3 thing much, I'll talk to coney or something about that one.

Olimar is one of those freaking matchups that I think is -1, but because I don't have as much experience as I like, I went with what Shaky said at 0. No one complained about that either, but I DO think it needs to be looked at.

I can't disagree with Peach. I think the matchup is really hard if the Peach plays as gay as possible, especially with dair.

I'd love to look into Mario more, I think Shaky and I both put the same thing, but I'll definitely re-look that.

Zelda, Bowser and Jiggs were all in agreement with us, well I think Jiggs does have a hard time but I feel like when we're offstage it's just at train wreck.

As for Fox, I fought my life for that one. If you want to know why I put it as even, get on AIM and I'll explain how it went down because boy, was it a looooong discussion.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Pit does seem very even but I don't know how to convince pit mains of this as I do not have tons of pit experience beyond a good so cal pit main. Mirror shield to gimp is such a rare thing if you are recovering smartly...we probably gimp pit's up b with thunder tail just as often in high level matches.

I think fox would be even if not for the grab release shenanigans, usually the grab release is a very small part of the majority of matches, in this matchup it is a critical one however. Thus why I rated it a disadvantaged matchup. I would like to hear your reasoning however.

D3 could be -3 but I don't think he's as bad as Marth. If anything D3 would probably be at the top of the -2 matchups.

I don't think i'll ever be able to see eye to eye w/ you and shaky on the gaw one. I'm pretty sure Bart agrees with me as well. Also Shaky, I saw you made a mistake vs Vinnie that i've made vs a gaw in the past...never take gaw to brinstar! We are great on Brinstar but somehow gaw is even better.

Uffe

Smash Hero
In my previous post on the official match-up page, this is the way I saw it, but with D3 still up on -3. I decided to move him to -2 since I don't recall ever having as much trouble against him than I did with Marth. I removed Shelda by the way. I saw no reason having her there since it's up to a player's choice to choose whoever he or she wants. Same with Samus and Zamus. Here's why I chose this.

:ness2:
-3: :marth:
-2: :metaknight: :snake: :falco: :popo: :gw: :toonlink: :dedede: :peach: :rob: :sheik: :pt:
-1: :dk2: :diddy: :wario: :lucario: :zerosuitsamus: :pit: :wolf: :ike: :mario2:
0: :olimar: :pikachu2: :fox: :kirby2: :luigi2: :yoshi2: :sonic: :falcon:
1: :lucas: :bowser2: :samus2: :jigglypuff: :link2: :zelda:
2: :ganondorf:

Marth - I've played a really good Marth way back when without him using the death grab. I know things change, but I still remember the matches him and I had. Maybe I was just a n00b still, but I almost won one match out of about ten matches against him with my Ness. He told me that my Ness reminded him of NoNessNoProblem's at that time. Anyway, a -3 works. -4 if they use the death grab. I believe that's listed as almost impossible.

Meta Knight - You really have to play it safe against MK. I've fought plenty, and who hasn't? -2 for him because I've seen what really good Ness players can do against a top MK. I've also been in situations where things were tough, but not too difficult. You know what he's going to do, you just have to be ready for the worst.

Snake - I honestly don't think of him as too much of a threat like the two above. I'm in no way saying he's easy to deal with, either. They use their tricks of the trade, but there are ways to deal with this. Snakedashing is a pain in the butt, so I recommend taking him to a stage where he's limited to throwing grenades and planting bombs. At least if you're keeping an eye out, you'll know what he's planning and you can work around it. I remember spamming PK Thunder on Brinstar against this guys Snake and his grenades weren't as effective against me since I had the higher ground and played it safe. XD

Falco - I've fought good and bad Falco's. I've never fought SK92 and Larry Falco's, though, so I'm not really sure about this one. FOW told me that Falco was one of Ness' worst match-ups, and I'll go with his word. -2 for him, if not -1.

Ice Climbers - I'm not really sure about this one. I've fought a few here and there, and some of them seem iffy. Honestly I want to say that this is a -1, but I don't fight too many of them. The ones I have fought didn't seem that dangerous. They have good hits and methods for attempting CG's, but that's all I really see from them. Even then, their grab range is horrible. Like Melee Ness horrible. For now I guess it's -2 in my book, but until then, I'm still thinking that it leans a little more -1.

Mr. Game & Watch - Lather, rinse, repeat. They're just a box of spam. The problem is, I still fall for it. I think everybody does, actually. Either way, I don't really have anything to say about this. I'll leave this in the hands of Bartolon and kaak. -2

Toon Link - I still don't understand why people think he's so good against Ness. I'll leave him with -2, but I'd really like to know. Nair beats all.

King Dedede - He's big. He's an easy target. His spotdodging is ridiculous. It's been known since the game first came out. And he's got range. I've always felt he was more broken than MK. But he's not. I decided to throw him down to -2 because he seems like a 60:40 character to me. People like to think that because he can CG Ness across the stage [just like so many other characters], that he's a lot better against Ness than he really is.

Peach - Bair Trap. Other than that, if she didn't have that, I don't really think he's that difficult. Her ***** Slap of Doom was reduced to nothing and her Dress for Success down smash was given to Pikachu. She's basically no different than Ness except with a fair that can kill and the many fun combos she can use. If she didn't have that Bair Traip, I'd say this is an even match-up. But don't take my word for it. Daisy's better anyway.

R.O.B. - I've played Simna's brother's R.O.B. for crying out loud and got ***** horrendously. Whoever thought that this match-up was 55:45 in his favor hasn't played a good enough R.O.B. Than again I could just not have the right match-up experience. But out of all the matches him and I played, I only won once, barely, which was on Brinstar.

Sheik - f-tilt x (X) to get good results. I don't really play as much Sheik's in Brawl as I do in Melee anymore, so I'm not sure about this one. The times I have, she was good against Ness, but I was able to keep up. So for now I'll stick with the -2.

Pokémon Trainer - I still don't think Charizard and Ivysaur are that difficult in comparison with Squirtle. I see a lot of Pokémon Trainer's use Squirtle the most as he's fast, his attacks come out quick, and his aerials are good. Charizard is cooler anyway.

Donkey Kong - Despite his grab, he doesn't seem too difficult for Ness. At least I don't think so. He has to approach Ness in order to really do any damage. His recovery compared to Ness' is a lot more gimpable, too. He's has good strength, though, and can be used tactically. This is why I think he's -1.

Diddy Kong - 55:45 in his favor? If you say so. I can't say I really agree or disagree with this one. When you learn this match-up, things tend to go better. There isn't really anything else I can think about for this one.

Wario - Wario is great. I'm jealous of his aerials in all honesty, as I wish Ness' were up there with his, which is one reason I use him at times. He's good with his spacing and his attacks are deadly but almost predictable. I'm not complaining about the position he's put in, so I'm sticking with -1. Some think this match-up is 60:40 in his favor, but I've always seen it as 55:45 in his favor.

Lucario - Pain in the ***. I'll just stick with the spot he's in unless someone else says otherwise. I've had my share of Pokémon battles with him and they always ended close with either him or I winning.

Zero Suit Samus - I think this one is about even. She has good approaches and spacing, but is very light and prone to easy KO's. I really wish my brother would consider using her more.

Pit - Perfect. 55:45, his favor, or 50:50, whichever way you want to look at it. Neither character really has to approach, but Pit can pressure really well and gimp Ness with his Mirror Shield. Though that's not too common, it works. I have no problem with where this one is at.

Wolf - A real Wolf is good. But that's only if you're "Scared?". A generic-spam-your-f-smash-and-hope-for-the-best isn't going to win it unless on Wi-Fail. I have no problem with this placing.

Ike - I was able to defeat him a lot in the past, but now he's become too aggressive. I'm not really sure what to say about this one.

Mario - No problem here. But nobody likes being whooped by Italian sausage.

Olimar - I can never seem to defeat him. -Coco- and I had come to the agreement that this was even, though. It's funny, because some people who don't even main either of our characters laughed and said that Ness was a bad character against Olimar or that Olimar got owned by Ness, and now on this list, it's where -Coco- and I thought it should have been.

Pikachu - It's been too long since I've fought any Pikachu. So for now, no comment.

Fox - I like how the tables have turned. In Melee he was good against Ness. In Brawl, Ness grew taller after eating his vegetables and then RAR'd bair into Fox's face. :) This makes more sense, though. Fox is still a good character from what I can see, because he's got easy KO potential, but he's light. I think this is an even match-up. I remember at one time the Fox boards thought this was 60:40, Ness' favor.

Kirby - This was placed elsewhere, but I threw this in even because that's the way I've always seen this. If he was placed a little better than Ness because of gimping, then that's not a good enough reason. I've had harder times against Jigglypuff than Kirby.

Luigi - How is this even but not with Mario? No idea. How is it that Luigi is a better character, but Mario isn't? Again, no idea. Both have good comboing and almost play the same. Either way, if you can say that I was almost three stocked against a Luigi main but ended up winning is the equivalent to 50:50, then by all means, let it. XD I'm not complaining with this one.

Yoshi - I hate grab releases. I personally think this is just slightly in Yoshi's favor, but I've seen what FOW was capable of against Yoshi, so I'll go with where this one is at right now. MX and Delta-cod for me were a different story, though.

Sonic - What makes him a bit better than Ness? I haven't got a clue. Speed is what really helps Sonic out, but his tactics are obvious. He's good with feinting and comboing, but there are ways around all of this. And not everybody falls for the feint attack. Spring gimping? Not as practical as one might think. Just like Kirby, I've always seen this as 50:50.

Captain Falcon - This should be obvious.

Lucas - Ness is 1 up against Lucas, I guess. Between Irsic and I, we felt this was even. Lucas has some good tactics up his sleeves and seems to set up things better for what he can do.

Bowser - He's durable but fairly slow. He really has no approach, but with what Bowser mains can do, he's dangerous and shouldn't be taken lightly. I used to play this really good Bowser main before he stopped playing Brawl and went to Brawl+, and he'd often whoop my butt. I can't remember if I had to play safe or aggressive against him, but he told me what I was doing wrong and I was able to win some matches. Than again, he was a tourney-goer who'd get close to reaching first place but then someone would beat him giving him second. :S

Samus - Ness has a good advantage against Samus. I fight Samus quite a lot actually. She's got projectile and can force you to block or try to get around, and her aerials are annoying. Ness' fair really gets to her, though. Xyro thinks this match-up is in more of her favor, I think, but some say otherwise. For now, I'm not complaining about this one. It could go even, though.

Jigglypuff - I'm not really sure I have a say on this one. She seems pretty difficult to fight against. More than Kirby.

Link - Force off the stage and then edgehog or gimp. I don't fight many Link's, and it's not fair for me to just base match-ups off that alone since that isn't what a match-up alone is about. I'll let someone else explain why, though.

Zelda - She's a pain to fight. Her attacks rack up a lot of damage and her smashes seem to be impossible to get out of. I'm not sure what to really say on this one, either.

Ganondorf - I can see this being in the even section. Someone else might want to explain why I'm wrong about this, though. After playing Verm numerous of times, a Ganondorf played right can really turn things around.

_clinton

Smash Master
Aw, did I miss this?

Aw, did I miss this?

Vice if you cared, I wanted Pit to be even really badly, but for the sake of time we had to agree (sadly) to a -1.
Pit gimps Ness by far better than Ness does even with that very good plus Ness and Lucas have (keep in mind though that is all they have for it). That is the 1st reason for why I think it is a -1.

As for GaW, I'm pretty sure Shaky and I both agreed on -1.
Grab=Dthrow=insane mind games. Gimps > Ness. Bucket break makes Bthrow limited to by the edge of stages like BF and FD instead of a free easy KO option.

IIRC no one really fought against the DDD -3 thing much, I'll talk to coney or something about that one.
PK Fire is awesome on his minions (read, not him. He can JUMP OUT) and PK Thunder is awesome on him. You should.

Olimar is one of those freaking matchups that I think is -1, but because I don't have as much experience as I like, I went with what Shaky said at 0. No one complained about that either, but I DO think it needs to be looked at.
I love firewood. But yeah Olimar has set ups to his kill moves that are actually kind of hard to avoid. Oh and he has grab KOs as well. If Ness couldn't make him approach by screwing with his defense I'd put this at -2.

I can't disagree with Peach. I think the matchup is really hard if the Peach plays as gay as possible, especially with dair.
Ness can be by far more gay IMO

Zelda, Bowser and Jiggs were all in agreement with us, well I think Jiggs does have a hard time but I feel like when we're offstage it's just at train wreck.
Yeah, I'm almost certain Jiggs has an easier time gimping Ness than MK does sometimes.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
It just means "If I recall correctly" or "If I remember correctly". It's a term people normally use when they're unsure about something.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
Okay *phew* I thought it was some type of new AT or something -facepalm-

Anyway, do you guys know a good strategy against olimar? I understand he's even, and if you haven't seen my vid showing how I lost to pesticide ( I put up one helluva fight to survive xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMLskQEdLY0 ) I just feel like i should make it my mission to study any matchups I'm having trouble with.

Susi

Smash Apprentice
Have no clue how I lost this. Can someone help me. Whered I go wrong. Also, enjoy
You posted this in wrong thread... again.

I dont get why you always play on FD. Against Wolf, Falco, Toon Link, everything. I suppose that you do striking at these tourneys. You should think more when striking and/or banning stages.

At the beginning you did better because he didnt know your habits which are airdodging alot (especially when being juggled and sometimes randomly) and throwing attacks out randomly. He made his comeback by punishing those hard.

You are pretty technical (you train vs computer, right?) but you need to concentrate on match better and play smarter. I have watched some of your vids already. Just too lazy to critique. You have been improving all the time. :)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yo Neon, I'm guessing you're the person who unstuck the Matchup Thread right? Is it ok to put a link to that info, just in case someone's looking for it?

Neon Ness

Whoops, yeah, I figured this and that thread were kind of similar in nature/purpose so I stuck this one since it's more recent.

The other one's linked in the Directory.

Neon Ness

I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's the problem of range. It seems like Ness' issues always boil down to lack of range :l Could just be me and my scrub self though.

DDD has a few ways to poke at Ness from a safe distance (ftilt/bair/grab range) which makes Ness' approach options severely limited in the air and on land. And even when Ness does get close, I'm always at a loss for what he can really do to capitalize. If he stays up close to D3 too long there's the threat of getting grabbed; if he gets in one or two hits then resets his spacing, getting close enough to do more damage/go for the KO can again be a long and painful process. It can be tough if the D3 camps. Trying to juggle with PKT bolts is also a pain since I'm relatively certain D3 can eat through those with bair.

CG across the stage is particularly bad for Ness imo since being offstage generally puts Ness in an undesirable position, because of his exploitable recovery. This can be somewhat remedied by stage choice I guess. I just find it overall a not fun mu for Mother kids. :/

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
here's what I like about ness: BAIR THE **** OUT OF EVERYONE!!! b/c DDD is so tall, you can just FH Bair and go crazy with followups on the edge of things. when the bair hits, you're too high for him to grab you OR the pushback from the bair on the shield is enough to make the grab miss. Gotta do the FH bair right though (don't get too close; bair is only if you can toe-poke 24/7). Uair on landing is good. AD > grab is good.... What I aim for against most characters that I go against is to get to their back. When their back is facing you, they can't be like "HAHAHAHH! GRAB OoS FOR FREE!!!" and if they try that, you just gotta jab/dtilt at them before they can do anything, then FH Nair out in expectance of the shield.

I'm tired.... I don't know what I'm saying. DDD's not bad if you FH aerial more. FH aerials are better than SH in this matchup. Recently, I discovered that SH aerials/DASs are better in some matchups (snake maybe?).

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
DANGIT!!!! I hate to doublepost, but I need some help with some matchups.
At tournaments, I've found some big problems with a couple characters: Ike, Marth, and Yoshi.

I played one person who plays Ike... I just don't know what to do. Ike has good range and is basically safe at all times that he's on the ground. It's VERY difficult, IMO, to approach or force ike into the air.

I played HadesBlades at this one tournament and got ROCKED! part of it is because I let him CP FD, which doesn't really allow ness to approach whatsoever. The other part is that Yoshi can outcamp so well. It's annoyIng. I couldn't hit with anything because every time he could just dash-grab and punish me with a GR > Usmash. From that, it was basically impossible to get back to the ground, b/c Yoshi has good movement on the ground and good grab range. I need someone to help me with that MU. I seriously think the MU is in Yoshi's favor by a bunch.

With Marth, my concern isn't with the GR chaingrab, but more with the general MU. I can mash out of the GR very well, so my only problem is with everything else. Like how do I SDI the dancing blade? And a bunch more. Part of it is how to get around fair, because that's a better defensive move than our fair, plus it's quicker and can hit us before our fair comes out. I need a better way of going around or through or over the fair than by countering with fair. PK jump doesn't work because Marth's fair comes out at the top and swing downward, so you get hit by the earliest part of the move. Punishing the landing won't really work, because they can just fair on landing and grab or something lame to stop ness. One thing I haven't been able to test is my new way of using PK Fire OoS as well as using Dair OoS to allow for aerial followups on the end of both.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
You can throw PK Thunder at Ike to pop him up in the air.
Then hit him from underneath, he can't really cover his lower half.
Also gimp his lame recovery to the max. Fthrow gimp for days.
But I've only really played fairly poor Ikes (except one of my irl friends is pretty good with him) so don't weight my words too heavily.

EDIT: I never understood how anyone could have a problem with big characters. I love playing against big characters. They're total PK Fire bait.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi wrecks Ness, and I mean, bad if the yoshi knows what he's doing. Basically, yoshi can run circles around Ness with his great ground speed and the best air speed in the game while throwing eggs which are vastly super to ness' camping game and if thrown right, cant even be powershielded making approaching more difficult (eggs have two hitboxes). Yoshi also has an air grab with egg lay that walls really well and also can be wavebounced to create massive mind games due to its ability to instantly change his aerial direction (which is scary due to his insane speed), has grab armor, has good range, has very minimal lag, can be DJ canceled, and has really high priority. His up close game also gives Ness massive problems for many reasons. Yoshi is tied for the best spot dodge in the game, can double jump through Ness' attacks (even can jump out of PK Fire if hit), and has an impenetrable shield. He has a frame 3 jab, great combo ability, an amazing close quarters mix up game, and has that pivot grab which can outrange practically everything Ness has and leads directly into usmash which can kill. And dont think yoshi wont grab you, he's probably the best in game at landing grabs, or at least one of them best, so just try and get grabbed as less as possible. Yoshi has amazing set ups and is a very safe character, which means Ness will have massive problems getting in due to a lack of a good approach, and then will have problems keeping the pressure on due to Yoshi's great mobility and defensive options.

So really, Ness has to play a hit and run and be VERY patient. There really isnt much Ness can do at all if the Yoshi knows the MU, so try and play it safe and look for an opening. Yoshi doesnt really get gimped very easily, so dont try and go for those unless you see a perfect opportunity, which good yoshi's should never allow anyway. Trying to go for an earlly kill can result in an edguard from yoshi. His bair, nair, and dair are all really dangerous to characters with gimpable recoveries (bair hits multiple times and doesnt knock you upwards, dair does >20% and leads to footstool or nair, and nair comes out insanely fast and hits hard, plus lasts really long) and Yoshi is good at getting rid of PK Thunder due to his great speed and DJ armor.

What you need to do, is try and force Yoshi into shield and pressure him. You need to go somewhere with platforms as well to give you extra areas to settle down and avoid his grabs. Getting him above you and trying to juggle him wont always work due to 5 up b's, dat airspeed, wavebonces, and down b to quickly hit ledges. Try and play at mid range, just out of yoshi's reach and pressure him with short hops and quick aerials like nair and fair. Yoshi wont try and attempt to throw eggs if you're too close as he can be easily punished and will instead try and run away and find a better position. If you can force yoshi to the ledge, he can plank quite well, but know that after 5 eggs, yoshi has to touch the ground, so he'll have to leave the ledge. This MU should be really frustrating for Ness and should be a long and tedious MU, so dont try and rush things or be too aggressive, I'm not the best Yoshi, nor even one of the best by any means, and I've taken FOW's Ness to game 5 of 5, so that shows something about that MU. It's still not unwinnable for Ness, but it's definitely an uphill battle.

Hope that helps, and if you have any questions, just ask :bee:

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
I've played a lot of yoshi mains and it doesn't seem that hard to me -shrugs- Eggs, meh. The only thing I need to focus on is fighting him off the stage. His eggs can't reach my recovery unless he comes offstage with me, and by then, either one of us or both of us is going down >:D

Double post ftw, Ike (if not alrdy mentioned) is one of the easiest once you get the hang of it. If you can read his forward special you should alrdy have a thunder out waiting for him. his jabs and grabs go hand in hand (slightly) and he usually would start it out with a forward special. His laggy moves call for some spot dodge, and a swift punishment. his recovery can be hit at the apex and during descent, though it's hard to say during ascent. The only aerial to have some really worry about is Uair. Basically, think of him as another heavy. His counter works on later and less frames than marth's, so don't be so scared. It even comes out slower. In the air, it's best to stay below him. I've always had tricky timing with his Uair when attempting to meteor smash, and hitting him with fire.... we he can counter inside of it. However like MoP said, his recovery is easy since it's vertical. His forward special recovery is easy to hit with a ranged attack or maybe an angled spike from behind him if you can pull it off just right. As for Grabbing OoS, I learned from YOUR videos just keep poking his shield with fair while retreating.... till he learns xD.

Also, looking at the MU chart, I'll still ask once more, why D3? Maybe it's because I've never fought any really good D3's be even with a CG he's not much of a threat. I mean, fire is just embarassing. His recovery is too. His minions? "Oh thanks D3 I really wanted to refresh my moves" Who cares about those huge spiky things? Ness's have dealt with far worse projectiles.

Shaky

Smash Ace
Logged in from work just to say this:

YOSHI DOES NOT WRECK NESS.

I've played Polt a lot, I would know. I'd say its even at best for yoshi and only because of that grab release to uair/usmash.

Also D3 is that bad because if you play a D3 that just grabs and edgeguards (nothing else) you pretty much lose the match because the only thing you can do is Fair and PK Fire (which I've been grabbed from both in the past). Also his bair trades or beats all of our aerials.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Double post ftw, Ike (if not alrdy mentioned) is one of the easiest once you get the hang of it. If you can read his forward special you should alrdy have a thunder out waiting for him. his jabs and grabs go hand in hand (slightly) and he usually would start it out with a forward special. His laggy moves call for some spot dodge, and a swift punishment. his recovery can be hit at the apex and during descent, though it's hard to say during ascent. The only aerial to have some really worry about is Uair. Basically, think of him as another heavy. His counter works on later and less frames than marth's, so don't be so scared. It even comes out slower. In the air, it's best to stay below him. I've always had tricky timing with his Uair when attempting to meteor smash, and hitting him with fire.... we he can counter inside of it. However like MoP said, his recovery is easy since it's vertical. His forward special recovery is easy to hit with a ranged attack or maybe an angled spike from behind him if you can pull it off just right. As for Grabbing OoS, I learned from YOUR videos just keep poking his shield with fair while retreating.... till he learns xD.

Also, looking at the MU chart, I'll still ask once more, why D3? Maybe it's because I've never fought any really good D3's be even with a CG he's not much of a threat. I mean, fire is just embarassing. His recovery is too. His minions? "Oh thanks D3 I really wanted to refresh my moves" Who cares about those huge spiky things? Ness's have dealt with far worse projectiles.
Those side b Ikes are what I call scrub Ikes. This move is mostly used for recovering and traveling through plataforms and not for attacking. And spot dodging against Ike isn't a very good idea for dodging his powerful moves. He can just bait them and still hit you with them like charging the smash or delaying the aerials to the last second. Ike's jab also destroys spot dodges. Also I'm pretty sure you do have to worry about Ike's aerials. Ike's Fair outranges Ness'. How can't Ike's Nair and Fair not give trouble to Ness? Ike's range overall gives Ness a lot of trouble if the Ike has good spacing. Ike's range >>>>Ness'. Why do you have to mention that counter is so slow? Almost always he has a better option than Counter.

Good Ikes know really well when recovering with side b is a terrible idea. He also has Up b and most of the time he can side b he could Up b instead and still make it back, which is much harder to punish. Remember that Ike also has air dodge when he's offstage and his air dodge is pretty good. Ike can slightly control his Up b as well, enough to mess up any attempts to him out of it other than with PK Fire maybe. You can also easily see the spike coming when you get hit by the PK Fire offstage and because that usually happens at stage level, you can easily DI the spike onstage and even then, he can most of the time SDI and air dodge before the spike comes out.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Yes he can if he spaces well. A well spaced Nair or Bair usually does that. I don't see how can Ness punish a well spaced Nair either when it has a lot of range and Ness doesn't have DDD's grab range. Start playing against better Ikes the difference between a good and a bad one is so big. And if Ness is going to shield that much why not just grab him? That's leads to grab release jab which deals a lot of damage.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Logged in from work just to say this:

I've played Polt a lot, I would know. I'd say its even at best for yoshi and only because of that grab release to uair/usmash.

Also D3 is that bad because if you play a D3 that just grabs and edgeguards (nothing else) you pretty much lose the match because the only thing you can do is Fair and PK Fire (which I've been grabbed from both in the past). Also his bair trades or beats all of our aerials.
ZZ is silly.
Also d3 is gay.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

I'm quoting this entire post because I agree with all of it. Yoshi vs Ness is NOT in Yoshi's favor whatsoever gashi. I play a Yoshi here like, every two weeks and I beat him more than half the time and he obviously knows the matchup well.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I PLAYED HADESBLADES AND GOT ANNIHILATED!!! He got so many GR > Usmashes off, and every time I tried approaching he'd do crazy stuff with aerials and the neutral B... it was insane!

If you guys say that, I'd like a THOROUGH explanation as to why, 'cause I agree with a lot of what z'gashi is saying.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I guess I should at least create some Threads asking for some thorough explanation on some character MUs...

or to spark discussion about a MU that people think should be disputed. Many people here say to move snake down, I say Yoshi is good against us and I need an explanation as to why he ISN'T, and some other scattered characters.

I'll make a thread for Ness v. Yoshi and Ness v. Snake.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Commented on both. I think you need to just get better at the Yoshi matchup Eagle. As for Snake, I could see it being -1 like I've said before, but if the Snake really knows what to do I feel like it cripples Ness a little, forcing an approach game that Ness sorta lacks. At least Ness has decent range though, so we're saved!

Ness v Yoshi: 0

Ness v Snake: leaning towards -1

MVD

Smash Master
not true cause Ness can get in against snake, I was showing that to Shaky, its not as bad as ppl think it may be, still in snakes faor but not by much at this point after I was messing around with that MU

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
Commented on both. I think you need to just get better at the Yoshi matchup Eagle. As for Snake, I could see it being -1 like I've said before, but if the Snake really knows what to do I feel like it cripples Ness a little, forcing an approach game that Ness sorta lacks. At least Ness has decent range though, so we're saved!

Ness v Yoshi: 0

Ness v Snake: leaning towards -1
Agreeing with this pretty much entirely. I have limited Yoshi exp, but from what I've seen, it's more or less even. And in regards to Snake (which I have MUCH more exp with seeing as how one of my close friends that I play frequently plays Snake) a good Snake knows where not to be range-wise and is usually a step ahead in assuring they don't get there, cause once you penetrate Snake's defence he's decently easy to keep under pressure. The key to this one is good reads imo. I'd say either -1 or -2. Probly -1.

And I'm not really sure if it's just me or not (cause I DO have a few good Falcos on my scene) but what makes the Falco MU -2? I frequently have more trouble with MUs like Wolf than I do with Falco. The CG's annoying (as with almost every char) but Ness' second jump usually prevents KOing straight off the inevitable spike that follows. PSI Magnet is somewhat helpful for the lasers as it usually prevents laser camping and I find Falco's predictable KO moves somewhat easy to bait, avoid and punish with Ness. I'd say -1 for that one but it's just me. Might end up making one of these MU charts myself and seeing how much I get raged at lol.

Kongmetal

Smash Journeyman
just sayin yoshi has an advantage over ness and snake is more than -1 lol and lol at mk being -2

oh and red x you can sdi falcos cg with any character so you will get hit by the dair but you stay on stage

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
just sayin yoshi has an advantage over ness and snake is more than -1 lol and lol at mk being -2
It was agreed upon as being 0 for Yoshi lol, on both sides. Snake is -2 respectively, because he's hard to kill, can camp Ness pretty well and has a solid grab release option because Ness is forced to approach in most cases. MK I think should be -1. :troll:

oh and red x you can sdi falcos cg with any character so you will get hit by the dair but you stay on stage
This. ^

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Okay guys. I would like to propose a re-evaluation of the ICs MU. I recently found some stuff out playing Chewy that could completely turn the matchup at least to -1 for Ness.

I want to test some of the theories I've developed recently, so I've challenged Ch33s3 to a $MM. If I do well, I'll try and get the matches saved/recorded/whatever.

_clinton

Smash Master
As far as ICs go, my best advice is to not get grabbed. Ness seems to be one of the harder characters for them to just chain throw from what I've read but the whole 10+ GR thing gets them over that issue even better really.

Also various moving PK Fires are my friend and should be yours as well.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I need ALL the help I can get in the ic matchup so you should spill all your wonderful know-how Miss Yink : )
Alright, my first thing would be to pick a stage with many platforms or good breathing room. (Such as BF)

Second, abuse the air time and be careful landing. Ness is actually pretty good at splitting the ICs up, and they can't really camp too effectively. Eat a Blizzard if you need to (but watch out in case one of the ICs is NOT using Blizzard). PK Fire gets rid of Ice Block and creates a nice fire pillar in front of you.

Harass them offstage.

The biggest thing is, you're fine in the air in my opinion, but you better be watching your spacing and your landings.

Top Bottom