• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I don't think that'd be useful. There's PK Fire Cancel however, where you run to a ledge and as you are about to walk off the ledge, you do a PK Fire. If done right, Ness will scream "PK FIRE", but due to the running momentum, the attack animation will be cancelled, thus enabling you to follow immediatly with something else, like a Dair. Not that I actually made that work ^^;

Tikao

Smash Ace
is there any edge cancel/sliding ... thing of ness , which has a use ? the sliding pk-thunder has a use , but won't hit very often , and is very risky ... pk-fire edge cancel ... isn't it like just running off the edge ... yeah , he screams pk-fire , but is there any other use of that? can the sliding reversel psi magnet be usefull ... just run off an edge and reversal it , so at the end , you just stand there in front of the edge , but you would be a little bit offstage for a short time , but i would say , there is nothing , he couldn't just absorb in front of the edge ... and don't forget the usefull sliding pk-flash ... the flashiest way of canceling your stock xD ... ok bad joke ... I'm just trying to find any use of some at's or find new at's ... what won't happen ^^

Nido

ily Sebby
Not really, it's useful for stalling in the air though, I believe Bair is the best momentum cancelling move Ness has.

More global Ness represent!

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I have a question:
ness psi magnet is a good option for Momentum Canceling

thanks

(sorry for my english im from Mexico ^^)
Anything that stalls your momentum (like Fox's Shine or Peach's Peach Bomber/Toad for example) while you're still in hitstun well give you a BOOST towards the blastzone instead. It's kind of like a penalty for trying to "cheat" the hitstun system. XD

But, you can regain control quicker by doing an aerial (in Ness' case a B-air) and (ONLY if necessary), Double Jump. That'll help you survive longer.

ATARi

Smash Rookie
NNID
ATARi-evif
Ness is bad vs Snake however I question, In opinion which do you guys believe is his worst MU of these 3, DDD,Snake or Marth, I personally think snake is his hardest. Going to a tourney as all Ness However I believe have a 70% chance on winning as Falco but that's not what im looking for Falco just has the moves to put him selfs in less harmful positions than Ness. And if I wanted to play to win I'd use Snake Falco or Olimar. But I want to know what everyone else thinks about the MU THEY ALL HAVE GRAB RELEASE WHICH IS A PAIN!

Thank you.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
In my opinion, Ness' worst Mu out of those 3 has to be Marth. I've played that MU for Ness and after playing it at makes Lucas' MU vs. marth look like a -2. It's that bad. ><

Jamwa

Smash Champion
In my opinion, Ness' worst Mu out of those 3 has to be Marth. I've played that MU for Ness and after playing it at makes Lucas' MU vs. marth look like a -2. It's that bad. ><
I consider it a -2, who cares about GR we can run away and PKF

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I consider it a -2, who cares about GR we can run away and PKF
Because Marth's can make PKF useless. I'm not kidding when I say an experienced marth can hit PKF with his sword and it does nothing. Even if you hit them, you can't get close to them because if they mash they can do insane counters and counter-cancels in to further counters and good golly here come the repressed memories...

In a region dominated by marth's, I find this match-up to be hideous if the marth knows what he's doing. We have traits but it's a solid -3 IMO.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
All you need is prediction when he does his counters / Dolphin Slash when he's trapped in PKF. Whatever you do, DON'T RUSH TOWARDS HIM when he's trapped in PKF. If he uses Dolphin Slash, predict where he lands, and proceeds to grab him / Fsmash him / whatever you feel would work well. If he Counters a lot, throw in a PKT1 / another PKF.

I agree about how horrendous the MU is. -2 / -3 for me. D:

PK Jibaku

Smash Cadet
It's been a long time since I've been here. I took a break from competitve Brawl for a long while, but now I want back in.

Question: I really need help with the Toon Link MU, is there any tips that I should know when matching one? I have a really hard time trying to dodge all of those projectiles... :c

Tikao

Smash Ace
against tink , powershields are your best friend , approach with just walking towards tink and powershield his projectiles , but take care about his bombs , they bounce off your shield and can hit you , if they explode at the ground , maybe you can catch them and do some double-jump cancled item throw stuff or something like that , but be carefull

if you are close enough , take care about tink's zair , it outranges us , oos nair should be good , try to stay close to him as long as possible , so you can oos nair his zair and maybe hit him with some fairs , they outrange tink (except zair)

if you wanna juggle him with pk-thunder , be carefull about the space above your head , his dair is fast , but he can't dair through pk-thunder
if you wanna juggle (or kill) him with uair , and he is above you , be carefull about his dair , also , if you are above tink , be carefull about his uair , it goes through our dair and the hitbox stay out for a long time , so also be carefull with airdodges , he can punish them

his killing moves in generall are fair and usmash and fsmash (you can sdi out of it) and at higher % also utilt and dsmash (maybe grabrelease -> dsmash is true , i don't know that exactly , but i'll kill late , so it wouldn't be that bad) , in some situations (if you are at a higher point) uair

be realy carefull at recover against tink , he can throw a bomb , a boomerang or an arrow at the head of pk-thunder , and you'll die , in some situations , he can just dair into the head of pk-thunder , also ness stays at the same point for a while , if he recovers , so if he misses the head , he can spike you , but it's also risky and not that common

if he hits your pkt2 with an projectile at the first half of your pkt2 , the (already bad) range of it will be halved , in some (maybe most) situations , recover from an higher angel to the edge is safer , but , if you miss the edge , and you land onstage , ness gets punished , if we miss the stage and don't land onstage , we are dead (obvious)

gimping tink with ness shouldn't be that easy , but i don't know anything about that ._.

stages against tink should be brinstar (its small , one of ness's best stages , but it's banned in my area , so i'm not that sure )

delfino (also one of ness's best stages , walk offs can be great , because tink's grabs are slow , ness's are the fastest in the entire game , and he has one of the best ranges with his dashgrab (?) , his fthrow has decent knockback at low % , so it can kill at walkoffs , and his bhrow at higher % , you can dair spike him in water (if the stage doesn't interrupt you , and you hit with a dair , he'll be dead at any % , you can just dair him , until he dies , he can't do anything. if you pick delfino , watch out about his dair spikes , he can do the same as you , when you're in the water )

and maybe rainbow cruise? ... (ok , don't pick it , i was wrong ._. , it's banned in my area)

ban against him stages like yoshi's island or lylat , yoshi's island is obvious (its ness) , and lylat is like one of the best stages for tink , he can recover better and the platforms doesn't interrupt tink's projektile game that much , maybe fd , because its a large and flat stage , so it's harder to approach against tink's projetiles

in generall against tink , you MUST powershield against his proctiles , while you're approaching , thats the point against tink ( also for ness)

if someone find something wrong , say it , i'm (like alsways xD) not that sure about everything in that MU

Nido

ily Sebby
Rainbow Cruise is most definitely not a good stage for Ness, GR infinites against the walls, PKT2 stage spikes, can't grab edges for majority of the time and we're much easier to gimp everywhere

Tikao

Smash Ace
there is nothing like a tierlist for doubles , but ness is good in doubles , because he can be healed by your partner , the grabrelease-stuff can be interrupted by your partner and if someone wants to gimp ness , your partner can help ness to recover

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ness is a pretty darn good doubles team partner, yes. Watch some vids of Shaky at WHOBO 4 in doubles, you'll see what I mean but basically, Ness can afford to be a tank and just go in and do a bunch of stuff, then get back and heal like nobody's business.

There's a lot more to it than that but that's one obvious advantage the PSI kids have over everyone else.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
My brother and I are a double Lucas team. Since no known (as in, well known) double Lucas team currently exists, my brother and I would like to be the first! :D

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Lucas + Pika is pretty cool.

Ever noticed how they always talk about the best team in the world and it always involves Mekos? :p

Mekos + M2K, Mekos + ESAM, just to name a couple...

Nido

ily Sebby
Imagine if Mekos cloned himself for doubles... The sheer amount of **** unleashed would be astronomical.

:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Imagine if Mekos cloned himself for doubles... The sheer amount of **** unleashed would be astronomical.

:phone:
I dunno, I think me + me in doubles would be worse than you'd think... Same I imagine would go for Mekos? :p

EDIT: Good lord the double meaning on that sentence is horrifying!

EDIT2: Fixed... Phew.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
LOL i forgot pika existed LMAO, but yeah, zelda, samus, aaannnddd maybe bowser and charizrd also seem like good healers in doubles.... but i was messing around with doubles last weekend with a fox spamming on the fly o.o

Why is D3 -3 for ness tho?

Tikao

Smash Ace
ness has a hard time approaching against d3 , if he stands on the ground , you shouldn't be that close to him , because of his ooS options like his grab (with his d3 grabrange ;_; ) , which is bad anyway , thats no secret ... a lot of damage and stuff , ftilt for spacing und utilt for killing , also ness is not that good at killing him , because d3 is fat ._. ... bthrow won't kill that good , in the air, hitting with a bair isn't that easy , because his bair is just faster than ours (if he fastfalls the bair , he'll be at the ground and can shield and punish you like explained above ) ... his uair goes through our dair , and his dair goes through our uair (so its also hard to kill him with that) against our fair , he can shield it and trying to punish our landing with a ftilt (if we space defensive) or utilt (if we are agressiv)

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Anyone got good tips for fighting a G&W?
SDI GaW's bair into an aerial
learn to tech his Dthrow
his usmash modifies his hurtbox so be careful
dont let him absorb your pkt while recovering or uair/up-b ur recovery, the windboxes will screw you up

how to space against GaW and how to punish you will have to learn, this MU is very good at teaching you how to play against almost every character because GaW punishes you if you make a mistake very very well

I prefer Lucas in this MU tbh

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
G&W is probably one of my most hated MUs, if not, my most hated. Mainly because his quick as hell Smash attacks (except for U-Smash, which hits on like frame 24 IIRC) and lack of cooldown on them makes him very annoying. On top of that, F-Smash can punish your spotdodges since it lingers, or you'll get hit by the very strong hit, D-Smash sends you either on a nasty semi-spike or launch you REALLY high up with ridiculous power, and U-Smash's hitbox can be rather deceiving and it's another ridiculously powerful one. >__>

That's not all though... his aerials are also pretty annoying. Get U-aired while recovering leaves you in a bad situations, and B-air can shield pressure/poke. His other aerials do good damage and have pretty good range and priority as well. We also have to limit our usage of PKF in this MU, and watch out when we recover because of the bucket. He can also bucket brake as well, so don't get your hopes up too high for the kill. D-Tilt also has annoying range and D-Throw leads into a tech chase. Whyyyyyyyy -__-

Yeah, I actually haven't played any G&W's at tourneys, but I have my friend who plays G&W and it's very annoying lol

Top Bottom