• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Post 1000.

Dajayman wins my thread.

Or does he really.. Because this is actually the 1000th reply. Opening post doesn't count when it comes to replies....

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I'll give some stuff about my secrets... Only in due time... And after smash64 says something.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I have an issue. I realized that I am REALLY REALLY bad at playing against Lucas (and to a lesser extent, Ness) as Ness. If my opponent is not entirely lame (and not a computer), I'll lose. It's really weird, especially considering that I beat Marth and MK much more easily than Lucas.

My biggest problem, I find, is that I cannot safely use PK Thunder to juggle, so I kinda freak. Upair doesn't always win against his dair, his jab combo is too long to sidestep, rolling just leads into upsmashes or dsmashes, and there always seems to be just too much shield push on Lucas's moves to keep him out of grab range (my grab range, while he can still grab).

My aerial chains always end quickly because of Lucas's nair being friggin' annoying.

I found that my best strategy was to perfect shield to eliminate pushback and grab, but obviously that's not always possible.

Anyone have advice? How do I keep him in the air? Should I keep him in the air?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Don't let him on the ground. Neither characters have good ground game IMO but Lucas has it better than we do. Spam fair a lot. A LOT. Whenever I do Ness dittos anyways I do a lot of fair spamming > grab. It works well for me, not just on a Ness but on a Lucas too.

As for juggling him in the air with PKT, I'd be sneaky with it dude. Don't make it obvious. I know that sounds stupid but be a little unpredictable. Watch for PKF on Lucas' side, it's faster and has knock back.

Grab a lot. You can grab release a Ness OR a Lucas all the way across a stage. Not only that but lots of grabbing does rack up damage and the two MOTHER characters love to get grabbed. You've got a faster grab than Lucas too.

Also, don't be afraid to mindgame with PKFlash. Sure Lucas can suck it up but PKFlash scares people. If he's in the air use a PKFlash quickly, relaese and then uair or something.

Hope I helped. I'm no expert but this is what I do when I play against them and it works well enough for me.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Ness' aerials are faaaaar superior to Lucas'. Lucas can't really do much to a well spaced fair so you can spam it to your hearts content. All of Ness' other aerials are quick and powerful, they get the job done. Ness is clearly the better aerialist, take the fight in the air as often as possible.

Ness has the superior grabs/throws, Ness' grabs are quick and dash grab has the range. I think you already know how amazing Ness' throws are, do work with them.

Lucas' ftilt and dtilt and superior to Ness', but I'd say Ness' utilt is slightly superior due to it's intense priortity, though both lack the horiontal range. Lucas' jab lacks the range over Ness' but it has the speed, iirc Lucas' jab starts on like frame 1 or 2. Lucas' fsmash is easily superior to Ness'. As for the other smashes, I'd say I prefer yoyos over Lucas' slow but powerful smashes. Yoyos are very unique and are an invaluable asset in Ness' subpar ground game, use them smartly to rack some damage up with them.

If you like being gay, you can grab release chaingrab both boys all the way to the ledge. I add a fthrow at the end since Ness' pummel damage is sh*t and fthrow adds on that 10%, but a release on the end makes them drop offstage at a better angle for you to edgeguard.

I really hate using PSI attacks against these boys. I rarely use PSI moves onstage, maybe if I know it'll be to my advantage. Offstage I'll use PK Thunder which good to use because if they magnet it then it'll be harder for them to recover because they had to stop to absorb the thunder, or they'll take the hit.

So that's pretty much my input. One last thing, Ness dittos can be either really fun or extremely dumb and annoying. Luckily Ness mains are cool and don't just fair spam and chain grab release each other the whole time. <3 you guys (and one girl).

Shadykoopa

Smash Rookie
I have a question about this technique i use time to time. I don't know if it has a name but ill just call it jump dodging. Basically you press the jump and the dodge button at the same time in order to keep the momentum of the jump while at the same time dodging anyone trying to gimp you. This one stopped falco's chain grab to a meteor smash for me. If this has been found, can anyone explain any more uses for it? I really don't want to read 60 pages of this thread :(
Edit: Btw this technique seems to work best with ness

Esca

Smash Champion
I knew that it kills. I just don't find it as good as Lucas' in the respect that it stops when people hit it.

--Gnes

Shadykoopa

Smash Rookie
I knew that it kills. I just don't find it as good as Lucas' in the respect that it stops when people hit it.

--Gnes
Hmmm yeah and it leads to people being gimped... i guess you have to position yourself pretty well to get back... Also you could use the tactic I just explained and press jump and dodge simultaneously in order to get back to the stage but im not sure if that technique is new or not....

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hmmm yeah and it leads to people being gimped... i guess you have to position yourself pretty well to get back... Also you could use the tactic I just explained and press jump and dodge simultaneously in order to get back to the stage but im not sure if that technique is new or not....
You'd be surprised how many people challenge PKT2. It often times for myself gets me a nice KO and I return to the stage.

As for the gimping issue, you just need to be smart for one thing. Save your double jump until you're closer to the stage, or maybe if you're high enough use PKF. If you need to use PKT2 I'd go low to the stage.

I'd rather take Ness' PKT2 to Lucas'. You can mindgame the crap out of people with it.

Shadykoopa

Smash Rookie
You'd be surprised how many people challenge PKT2. It often times for myself gets me a nice KO and I return to the stage.

As for the gimping issue, you just need to be smart for one thing. Save your double jump until you're closer to the stage, or maybe if you're high enough use PKF. If you need to use PKT2 I'd go low to the stage.

I'd rather take Ness' PKT2 to Lucas'. You can mindgame the crap out of people with it.
Is jumping and dodging at the same time a good recovery technique? I know about the rest but i want to know about this technique I mentioned because it goes the same distance as a regular distance as a double jump but is more horizontal and allows you to safely escape some attacks.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Well, personally I wouldn't do it if you were recovering at all, you'd use up your double jump and a lot of good players will wait for you to return or can just wait until your dodge is over and then punish you off the stage again or even spike you.

Losing your double jump as Ness off the stage is a nightmare IMO. I attack as I recover, usually using F-air.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Jumping and airdodging is not a new technique. Many people have been doing it forever. I mix this up with aerials in a DJ as i recover.

Ness has one of the best UpB moves in the game. Crazy mindgames, gimping ability, insanely powerful, controllable, extremely large size, amazin range, high damage, invincibility, and overall versatile.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

What do you do against a GOOD MK? I have a friend who's very good with him and I don't know how to approach him.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace

What do you do against a GOOD MK? I have a friend who's very good with him and I don't know how to approach him.
No such thing I'm afraid...

Anyway, I've heard PK Fire is very good for keeping him at bay. I'm pretty sure our Dair screws him up quite a bit, and we're one of the only chars that can mess with his recovery. Space fairs and dairs and try to keep him from grabbing you.

Nintenjoe's Matchup thread has already covered MK, though it could use some reviving (I'd be happy to take over if anyone would like. Believe me, I have no life. Everything would get done perfectly on time.)

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
No such thing I'm afraid...

Anyway, I've heard PK Fire is very good for keeping him at bay. I'm pretty sure our Dair screws him up quite a bit, and we're one of the only chars that can mess with his recovery. Space fairs and dairs and try to keep him from grabbing you.

Nintenjoe's Matchup thread has already covered MK, though it could use some reviving (I'd be happy to take over if anyone would like. Believe me, I have no life. Everything would get done perfectly on time.)
THANK YOU. I had no idea what to do. He's a strange MK...he's really defensive but he can out-mindgame me if I'm not careful. I mess up his recovery enough but off the screen there is NOTHING I can do.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
ill be up early so ill get on here to see who is up btw this is Smash64. The FC ill be using is 2449 4333 6997 so be sure to add me. GOD KAIS

Dajayman

It's times like these I wish I could play with you guys on wifi. But then I remember wifi is terribly laggy and then I feel okay. :p

Bartolon

Smash Lord
Wow that was the first name that came up in me xDD (so original -.-)

Uhm.. The PSI boy and his wildgoing monkey.
Can't really come up with a good name atm

Dajayman

I think team Speed Racer would be a better Captain Falcon and Diddy team name, especially if you had the Speed Racer texture hack for Captain Falcon.

Top Bottom