• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Taunt Discovery?

elliwg6

Smash Rookie
So i dont know if people already know this but i thought it was cool. Ness taunts and says "OKAY" my friends dad said that exact same thing the other day. He asked him what he was saying (the family is from SE Asia) bc it sounded like ness's taunt. It turns out that what Ness is says is saying is "O-kAY/" and it is a Cantonese phrase that means "obviously," or "i knew that was gonna happen." I thought this was really funny and kinda cool

orintemple

Smash Lord
Still, why would Ness say a Cantonese phrase? Isn't he supposed to be English? And this game is made by Japan. It seems strange, but it makes sense in terms of the meaning.

SuperDanny

Smash Rookie
I forgot the full meaning behind it, but I heard it has something to do with the sound you here in Earthbound when you choose your preferences before starting a New Game. You choose Ness' name and you hear it, sounds like a guy talking. Apparently it means "obviously" or "I knew that'd happen." in some language, maybe Japanese. Why Ness imitates this with a Cantonese phrase is beyond me. The Mother series is weird :p

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
random but yeah

The worst taunt experience ever was when I killed one stock off superboomfans ness when he was at my house and I was already getting 5 stocked (I had one stock left and he had four) and I was all ''Show me ya moves!!'' and he was like ''Okay!''

It freaked me out, seriously. and then I got 0-deathed

Zantetsu

Smash Master
random but yeah

The worst taunt experience ever was when I killed one stock off superboomfans ness when he was at my house and I was already getting 5 stocked (I had one stock left and he had four) and I was all ''Show me ya moves!!'' and he was like ''Okay!''

LOL I remember that. It's on one of the videos :p

ant-d

Smash Lord
1839, only survivor of a slang fad in Boston and New York c.1838-9 for abbreviations of common phrases with deliberate, jocular misspellings (cf. K.G. for "no go," as if spelled "know go"); in this case, "oll korrect."

House

Smash Journeyman
random but yeah

I saw that video on yt :laugh:

vandwedge

Smash Cadet
Hey I also have a friend who's from Asia. One day he said something that sounded really similar to "show me your moves!" and I asked him what it meant, and he said it was Cantonese for "obviously" or "I knew that was gonna happen." Makes you view Captain Falcon in a different light huh!!!!!

Top Bottom