• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nesu] It's so deserted here I could find Criminal Caterpillars. (Post here if you're cool)

Best Ness Outfit?

• Total voters

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
well, I just started playing Brawl seriously, but I take it mostly as a preparation for Smash 4. I do also Play melee, but those mechanics are too deep for me brah :p

BTW: I have some recent footage of my Ness now, should I go ahead and post it here, or should I take it in the review thread? It would be greatly apreciated if someone took some of their time to look at my terrible Ness :p

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
well, here are some matches from a 8 man bracket we did last week. The guy playing Kirby I usually win over, but he seemed to improve since last time we played. We met again in GF, where it got to be a reset (won 3-2) and he winning 3-2 afterwards.

A local Lucasplayer, I usually win against Lucas so he went G&W the second and third match. Had to pull out Rob since I suck at the G&W MU.

Winners Final. Played like ****, but why? SD's suck... :/

Very Salty GanonMaster going into Losers Final, poor Samus!

if you see any bad habits, tell me and I'll try to improve them. I feel like getting my bad habbits away is the most important thing I could do atm!

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Ok so I stopped watching the Lucas after 1 minute because I vomit. Tell you opponent to use short hops to move around with Lucas and not barrel rolls.
I can see why you normally beat him (even tho Lucas totally wrecks in that MU), pretty sure he has infinite CG GR.
against GnW (well, more skilled GnWs) you really want to space with fair and shield pressure with Bair, not Dair.
The reason being is that GnW completely destroys Ness and this MU is unfair if the GnW knows how to properly space all his moves.
Dair on shield can be shield grabbed by GnW, but bair cannot as it pushes him too far away (if you do it right).
for grabs, go for Dgrab -> fair at low percents. if you notice the GnW is airdodging and not jumping + airdodging, FH a PK Fire after the dgrab and it should land depending on DI, or just wait for the airdodge and Nair.
apart from that, dont use Ness' smash attacks unless you get a jab lock.

also against kirby i dont know what you're doing, but if you just Fair you win that MU....

To get better, I suggest practicing against Snake and DeDeDe players. This will teach you how to shield pressure, and how to avoid getting grabbed.
Also try practicing against an MK, as it will teach you to play faster in general, and how to avoid gimps.
try to stop barrel rolling, its horrible on Ness and should be replaced with an offensive or retreating fair in neutral positions.
when you're barrel rolling to get behind your opponent, think of other ways to do that while being offensive rather than leaving yourself open to punishes, as in by approaching with a foxtrot -> shield, and then using an out of shield aerial to punish and attack, or by SHFF Dairs to pressure the shield of someone with a short/slow grab. also just jumping at the opponent can sometimes make them shield, and before you land bair them or fast fall and grab.

When someone is landing, a SH nair will usually punish an airdodge as it lasts long enough (you have to position yourself where they land though), or you can just SH to scare them into airdodging, and then FF into a grab as they land. If you think they're not going to airdodge, just Fair/Uair/Bair them depending on position.

Try watching Shaky and Fsann videos to get an idea of what Ness is capable of in terms of spacing, safe shield pressure, and grab game. there's also some combo videos by many players of PKT2 mindgames which can be occasionally useful. you have to set it up though and rely on the opponents DI.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
First grabs on frame 13
Spot dodge starts on frame 2
Ness suffers 10 frames of lag after the grab release
Does it take 1 frame to shield and then spot dodge or would Ness spot dodge on frame 12?

Last edited:

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
Damn, lost against a low level D3 last tourney... I got hit by f-ing f-smashes and did some stupid SD's...

I guess D3 scares me :/

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
fun tiems

and then wii fit trainer happens
Why do people think mii is guaranteed when WFT is the console rep?
Damn, lost against a low level D3 last tourney... I got hit by f-ing f-smashes and did some stupid SD's...

go MK. Like, if something scares you always go MK.

Jamwa

Smash Champion

told ya
d3 is the bane of Ness/Lucas (if not MK or Snake).

Marth isn't as close to oppressing as these characters are.

That's why you gotta oppress them back whilst hiding behind their shield

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
But I wanna beat them with Ness, but I guess a pocket MK or something is a good thing for hard MU. Any other char suggestion for Nesscounters?

Susi

Smash Apprentice
But I wanna beat them with Ness, but I guess a pocket MK or something is a good thing for hard MU. Any other char suggestion for Nesscounters?
I have played Ness+ZSS since 2010. Has worked pretty well for me against Marth and DK.

Btw, I almost beat Hudet's D3 with Ness!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wow, it IS pretty deserted in here. I hope everyone's doing well, at least.
We are! Jam and I came 7th and 5th in the aus national (I know i'm saying it a lot but it's EXCITING :D), it was fun and awesome and very difficult but rewarding. :3

In regards to ganon and his vids, I think you're going for grabs a little too much and a little too obviously. Try to wait for a mistake before you go for a grab as a read because otherwise you can get seriously punished for it against some characters such as Marth and Snake (amongst many others). Space with fair and also use OoS Nairs because it's a really nice option. Both you and the Lucas were rolling wayyyyyyy too much, which is Jam pointed out can get punished at higher levels of play. Focus on your options which pressure the other person into doing something so that they're not punishing you. Generally though, while I think there's definitely room for improvement, your Ness has some really nice aspects to it. I like your own punish game when you get it and your strings are well executed. Keep going and I think you'll do just fine. :D

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
thanks Luco, I've become well known for my strings now, but I still have the bad habit of rolling :/ We actually had two Brawltournies this weekend, and I got 3rd and 5th. Igagga (Best Norwegian player, but he doesn't travel too much) was watching the matches on stream when I got third, and he told me I did some good options when I rolled just two weeks ago. The tourney was a local with a top ten national guest, so 3rd was way bettter than I expected.

I'll try to get some vids of my "new" Ness asap. I also did a lot more mixups (bair is so OP) which led to me beating the definite second and third ranked in my local scene (Snake and TL) :D

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh don't get me wrong, rolling can be a really nice option, it's just if it's done too much it can be punished, like most other options, especially if you're a low tier. For us we have to rely on our safer options and mix-ups to do stuff. It's harder for us but we can still compete if we can do it well enough. ^^

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
Yeah, I used to roll a TON and I found out that Ness's roll is good, but it's not so great when you use it constantly. It got me punished a lot. To get behind your opponent, it really depends on what character you're playing against, but I sometimes play around with DAS and land behind them with fair/uair or something.

Btw, I haven't been to a tourney since October, but when I get more vids of myself, I should get my Ness critiqued again. I've improved, I've heard that a lot, but I still have some big flaws that I need help with.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Unfortunately at last BAM, my Ness turned out to be the one that lost all the time instead of a bit of both. I won't move away from Ness but I might need to work on my game with him a little more, I find I have different strengths for both when I consider them, but for me I actually prefer Lucas at that really close range whereas I like to play a more spacey Ness.

Nido

ily Sebby
your ness was definitely not as impressive as before however your lucas is the attila slayer.

not like i can really talk about impressive nesses though lol

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
your ness was definitely not as impressive as before however your lucas is the attila slayer.

not like i can really talk about impressive nesses though lol
Which is funny because Lucas has a worse time in the Snake MU. :laugh:

I guess I won't escape that name haha. In a way I kinda like it though. :D

But yeah, i'm gonna work on him but I actually think V will surpass my Ness. And she totally deserves it too, she's worked really really hard with him, so while I don't plan on becoming complacent, i'll be nothing but happy as soon as she's placing top 8 and everything.

I think my Ness can be punished a little more - Sebby and Yosh both gave him a massive beating for it because a Nair on a shielded MK can be punished pretty easily, even OoS. I have to work on my options a little more, I think, or at least safe stuff. Lucas I know how I can play to a safer extent (I have Jamwa to thank for a lot of that, I found myself taking parts of his playstyle in games where I was down at first), Ness it's a bit harder to work with for me. :(

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
I find Ness easier, since I feel Lucas is a little more in your opponent face character. It could have something with me liking spaceheavy characters like Ganon in melee and Ness in Brawl :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I find Ness easier, since I feel Lucas is a little more in your opponent face character. It could have something with me liking spaceheavy characters like Ganon in melee and Ness in Brawl :p
That is true, although Lucas does require spacing and timing of certain moves to ensure his combos and aggressive nature works out - for instance FHDair has to be timed so that you can fast fall to SHNair or jabs before the other person can drop shield and counter or at least punish you properly.

Both require a lot of timing, Ness is more "I have a wall and mobile, defensive options, deal with it" while Lucas is more "i'm not letting up on shield pressure and i'm also mobile, deal with it."

Top Bottom