• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

netplay help

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
hi people! i am new here, but i have played smash bros. 64 through project64k online quite some time now.... but i have friends that live far from me, and i catn find any servers for both me and them to play in without the **** ping getting in the way (i dont know anything about these terms, so i guess im a pretty noob to this) so i need help, my friend lives in Portugal and i live in Brazil, is there anyway for me to play him? can i play people from USA at least?
i heard of psp kailera, but i have no clue how to host games for i dont understand nothing about port forwarding, and for what i've seen, you need a router (i might be wrong, correct me if so) and both me and my friend dont have one, and so i need a little help, is it possible to use p2p kailera without a router? i read the tutorials but i always get stuck on the port forwarding part, so please, i need much help with that, thanks in advance....

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you don't have a router, you don't need to forward ports.

However, if you're having trouble with it, I suggest using Hamachi to create a LAN over the internet, and using that to connect.

There's a P2P thread linked in the Smash index.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
like i said, im a noob to these terms, what is hamachi? i checked that thread out, and it has a link to the site and all, but i dont know what hamachi is..... well ill try to play though thanks for the information ;)

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
Hey I have a question. I don't feel like starting a new topic for this since this one seems somewhat convenient...

I want to play SSB64 online and I can't

I've found Project64k, followed the tutorial, and made it online through that Kaillera Client or whatever. I got pretty excited, so I joined a server and found a game. It felt pretty comfortable, and I was able to join the game...but when they started it, I couldn't move. I then went on to making my own game, and some people joined, and we started, but then they couldn't move.

I have a router, but I'm not sure what port forwarding is...that might be the problem. I know my firewall is down though.

Could someone please help?

cam`

Smash Apprentice
make sure your controls are calibrated correctly.. what happens when you try to play offline?

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
I can play offline just fine. I don't have any problems.

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's nothing to do with port forwarding.

When you go into your controls, I assume you're using N-Rage's plugin? There should be a box that has something to do with raw data. If it's currently checked, uncheck it. If it's unchecked, check it.

(I can't remember which one it is, but I know it's that option).

I hope. >_>

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
Yay it works now!! Thank you ^_^

But now no one will play with me because I haven't unlocked item switch D:

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
yo i managed to start a game with my friend, thanks but, **** it was too laggy to even get to the fight, running at 9 fps O.o any tips on lowering the lag? i tried setting my priority to high, but no difference.....

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
With P2P?

If you had any programs running, close them, especially downloads.

Another thing is to lower the size of the screen. If you're playing it full screen, it'll make things a lot worse.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
well i played at low screen and with only msn open so i can talk to my friend, should i close it? cuz it never lagged when i played on client mode..... i dunno, maybe it could had been him running something, but i dunno.... isnt the distance the main cause? (brazil to portugal is pretty far) any other tips?

Thino

Smash Master
distance affect only delay not the lag , i played keshiki with huge delay but zero lag ,so it may be that you or your friend had something opened

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
i asked him he said nothing else was opened, what could be the problem? nothing opened, small screen size, wtf? >.>

Thino

Smash Master
not much , at least not like on the servers and far from 9 fps ,there may be somthing else firewall , antivirus or something

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
yeah, torrents esspacialy kill p2p and client play, DONT RUN TORRENTS :p

also uploaing vids to youtube (well uploading in general but youtubes the worst) also will kill your fps

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
nothign at all was open exept msn, and we werent in any server, we connected to each others ip.... will a server solve this?

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Is there a server that's somewhere in between Brazil and Portugal?

It can be a solution, or maybe your friend's computer just isn't that fast...

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
Is there a server that's somewhere in between Brazil and Portugal?

It can be a solution, or maybe your friend's computer just isn't that fast...
how would i know if there is a server within brazil and portugal? where do i check that? and btw, when i try to join servers, i cant sometimes due to ping, so wouldnt that be a problem ?

Thino

Smash Master
nah in your case you can only play him with p2p lol . there has to be something wrong , bad specs , bad video plugin.. try playing p2p with someone else , and he should try too , to see wheres the problem

Top Bottom