• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New ADVANCE TECHNIQUE , Pivot Wave Grab

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Nice technique. Fox pwnage! Fox's shine still works tho, I like it against faster characters who I can stop in their tracks with it. It still spikes too! Just not as well....

Edu

Smash Rookie
By the way, this is only done in the first frames of animation, doing it just with the Z button you have to run a little while then press Z and it feels that you are just canceling your dash with a sliding grab (Like the stop mommentum when you change direction of your dash) if you do it like explained before or like others are suggesting instead of pushing A use the C stick feels more like a glide(but only in the first animation of the dash). Its a little different than what others are thinking.

spare-jello

Smash Cadet
This is the perfect technique for starting a chaingrab with Falco. It's also a perfect case where it's more sensible to use than a normal pivot grab. This not only lengthens the grab's hitbox, it also lets you get from one side of whomever your playing to the other in a much shorter amount of time, which forces them to react in, or course, less time.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Okay, here's the deal:

As I thought (and as is indicated in my input guide) holding shield and pressing A is no different from pressing Z. ANYWHERE in the game. If you're holding shield, the game thinks the attack button is the grab button.

However, the video from the OP is totally wrong. You slide or don't slide not depending on how you input the pivot grab, but instead as a function of whether you're in either of the two Start Dashing animations (i.e. the things you repetitively do when foxtrotting) or you are in the middle of the true dash. If you are actually dashing, you slide; if you're just starting, you don't.

What I didn't expect, though, is that you can interrupt the Dashing version of the Start Shielding animation with a Running Grab if you're fast enough - usually you think of shield canceling to obtain standing grabs while moving. That running grab can then be turned into a pivot grab (instantly if the correct direction is already being pressed). Yet another substate that needs to be added to the Dashing section of the chart..

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
it's not about whether it works for other characters... it's about whether or not it's effective enough to want to put into your game.

I see this, I think Luigi, and I see him sliding off teh stage. lol

Denzi

Smash Master
I use it to turn in the middle of a falco chaingrab.
This makes chainspiking much easier to set up.

M@v

Subarashii!
since you slide when you do this, wouldnt this move be godly with luigi since he slides so freaking much?

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
man, it's nice to see a fellow fox mexican smasher in the boards, nice find

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
"04-09-2008"

Sorry, my reaction to that date would be the forth of September, not the ninth of April.

I'm from Australia, my bad.
Meh its not a big deal, I didn't know that the date had a different order in other places. Some people actually think its new though lol.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Sorry, I just got to this thread. There's a lot of replies and I don't want to read them all for the following simple observation. If someone already mentioned this, then just ignore me.

I thought the AT (the Pivot Wave Grab) was a regular pivot grab. To do what the topic creator described as the PWG, all I did was run, tap grab, then reverse it; much in the same way you can reverse a fireball or Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch. I've been doing it with Luigi but found no use for it, thinking it was better for characters with tethers.

So, perhaps it is simpler to Dash, Grab, then immediatly Pivot to do the Pivot Wave Grab.

You could do it with the Grab button (Z) only. It can be done in the middle of a dash; it does not have to happen just as the animation for the dash starts.

EDIT: OK, I read every post in the thread. So, yeah, you can Pivot Wave Grab by pivoting just AFTER the grab (Z). So the "regular" Pivot Grab is done by pivoting just before grabbing.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I don't know why I only did it once and tried like 50 times... I just can't do it...

Edit: Oh, now it works... you have to input the pivot grab at the end of the dash ^^

I hate that I always roll while trying to do it =/

Edit 2: lol, that's just like the normal pivot grab during running... and if you do it while dashing it doesn't work...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If this works for Ice Climbers...hmm..blah, probably me just having ideas that don't work again. -.-

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Exacly my though, so tested it as soon as I thought of it, and it seems like they gain too little momentum for it to be very useful :/

Top Bottom