• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New angles of B attacks, maybe?

Apparentlynew

Smash Rookie
right now, you can angle tilts; I think it's 3 angles per tilt. There's a similar breakdown for the trajectory of some upb's, like the firefox. What do people think of the idea of applying those angles to B or side-B (assuming side-Bs stay in) attacks? Giving samus the ability to missile or charge shot at multiple angles might give more versatility. It could also make things too complicated. What do you guys think?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
As so saying you can use Falco's Phantasm and go diagonle instead of just straight. If that is the case, then I say do it. Think of how much more skill to take out an opposing player with this new tactic. Although some people can do it like Y.Link and Link with there boomerangs, and Samus has homing missles, it would suite(spelling..?)some charcters well. But neverhteless, I do not think it will happen because they would have to select characters to do this and fix their moveset all over again.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Haven't we been over this before? It's not a bad idea, so why not?

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
A problem I see is with attacks just like Falco's Phantasm. Or the Luigi Missile. Jiggly's Pound. Basically everyone whose Side B covers a horizontal distance.

This would add a replacement for a third jump and give several characters a petty broken recovery. Imagine Luigi rocketing upwardsin a 45 degree angle. Or Jigglypuff pounding upwards.

Just my 2 cents. I am not really against the idea, I just see some difficulties.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Well Jiggs can fly and the pound gives distance so I don't see it to her.
If they didn't do anything to Falco's, give him the advantages of Fox's Up-B.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
dude, jigglypuff CAN pound at an upwards angle. its called a rising pound, and its why jigglypuff is god tier for recovery...

i think angled projectiles would be pretty sweet, but would get really annoying, with samus's missiles and (possibly) falco's lasers. i shudder at the thought.

Ianthraxx

Smash Apprentice
I think the reason up+B moves have a variety of angles and over+B moves don't is because they would conflict. It would be really easy to accidentially do one when you meant to do the other.

Then again, if you apply the angle after executing the move (like Mewtwo's teleport, or Pika's Quick Attack) then... it would be pretty cool, and you're right, add a lot of versatility. Certain characters would be able to cover a hell of a lot of the playing field with that, too. o_O Maybe to an unfair degree...

kithkin

Smash Champion
You have to remember, some side B's are angled already, and to change it would give said characters a disadvantage in one of the few areas they have an advantage, and to Creo, I personally think thats a stupid statement, because, quite simply, falco is falco because he doesnt have fox's recovery, thats one of the disadvantages to being falco over fox. remove that it just makes fox at a disadvantage.

edit: if that made any sense.

Edit2: overall, keep the balance kids.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Certain characters would gain too much from this. If Link could throw bombs in any direction with a flick of the C-stick, or shoot his bow in any direction instantly, or aim his hookshot, he would be too hard to approach. Samus would be a bit difficult also, with her charge beam, gun, and missles. Some could definitely use it in some ways though. Take DK. To be able to direct his Spinning Kong would be loads of help- he's so spikeable. His giant punch though, would be unfair if it could be directed (unless just minimally, as with some ftilts and fsmashes.)

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
You have to remember, some side B's are angled already, and to change it would give said characters a disadvantage in one of the few areas they have an advantage, and to Creo, I personally think thats a stupid statement, because, quite simply, falco is falco because he doesnt have fox's recovery, thats one of the disadvantages to being falco over fox. remove that it just makes fox at a disadvantage.

edit: if that made any sense.

Edit2: overall, keep the balance kids.
...Oookkkaaayyy... Next time, spare some extra time and make more sense to that. Falco needs a better up B and it wouldn't affect Fox in any way.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Certain characters should, certain characters should not.

If it is a projectile, angle it. If it is a regular move, mmm, not so much.

Angling the charge shot for samus' cannon would be superb, and if this were the case...

Snakes Nikita Launcher anyone? They could allow that to be in brawl. How it would operate? You could steer it, but angle it before hand. (It could work very much like ness' PKT Recovery.

So in short, for projectiles? Yes...

For other moves? No.

Zenith

Smash Ace
No, because when the wrong angled attack comes out in high level play.
It would ruin everything.

Deeming in a new era of Johnz.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
As so saying you can use Falco's Phantasm and go diagonle instead of just straight. If that is the case, then I say do it. Think of how much more skill to take out an opposing player with this new tactic. Although some people can do it like Y.Link and Link with there boomerangs, and Samus has homing missles, it would suite(spelling..?)some charcters well. But neverhteless, I do not think it will happen because they would have to select characters to do this and fix their moveset all over again.
dude .. youre talking as if this is melee 2. its BRAWL , a brand new game. they are remaking movesets for EVERYONE, because they are reprogramming the game.

THIS IS NOT MELEE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere where it's not quite hot, but not quite
think of it like this: granted that they add the ability to "aim" with a B attack, but since some characters can already influence the angle of their attack (take samus' side smash, its angle-able, or zelda's side b) they would probably only give it to some or most (or all) of the characters who couldn't already do it, gets?

oh! and as for fr0st2k, they didn't say anything about reprogramming/remaking/changing move sets yet, because it can be clearly seen in the trailers that the four (mario, link, kirby, and pikachu) are still able to use their melee B attacks, i could still see link doing his up+b, and pikachu doing his Down+b. but then again, it IS just a trailer, and trailers mean that it is most likely in its experimental phases, so there IS a possibility that they will swap/change/whatever their move sets. however, it is MERELY a POSSIBILITY. ok?

(and i don't mean to sound offensive or anything, it's just, next time you should think deeply about what you should say, ok?)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
No, because when the wrong angled attack comes out in high level play.
It would ruin everything.

Deeming in a new era of Johnz.
Who cares? Only scrubs john about the wrong moves coming out, if you can't control your character then you aren't worthy of being called a high level player.

think of it like this: granted that they add the ability to "aim" with a B attack, but since some characters can already influence the angle of their attack (take samus' side smash, its angle-able, or zelda's side b) they would probably only give it to some or most (or all) of the characters who couldn't already do it, gets?

oh! and as for fr0st2k, they didn't say anything about reprogramming/remaking/changing move sets yet, because it can be clearly seen in the trailers that the four (mario, link, kirby, and pikachu) are still able to use their melee B attacks, i could still see link doing his up+b, and pikachu doing his Down+b. but then again, it IS just a trailer, and trailers mean that it is most likely in its experimental phases, so there IS a possibility that they will swap/change/whatever their move sets. however, it is MERELY a POSSIBILITY. ok?

(and i don't mean to sound offensive or anything, it's just, next time you should think deeply about what you should say, ok?)
Sakurai already said he's rebuilding characters from the ground up, read SamuraiPanda's thread.

Personally, I think it's a great idea, aiming attacks would require more precision but it'd be worth it.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Sakurai already said he's rebuilding characters from the ground up, read SamuraiPanda's thread.
But we've seen all the characters doing original moves... :confused: What could he mean by this? Every move I've seen any original character do on the trailers looks original (except for the smash badge ones).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
He said he's doing it to make sure they fit in with the improved air combat, which makes sense if you ask me.

Top Bottom