• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT: Boost Grabbing (I think. Possibly old.)

The_NZA

Smash Lord
AFter recently mastering the Boost smashing with Link and Snake, i tried out some of the Boost bombing stuff, which was pretty successful. Afterwards though, i was fooling around with Oli and trying out his Boost smash when I accidentally hit Z without the up at the right time. Lo and behold i got a dashing grab, only it was a little dfiferent. I could have sworn i had a greater grab range, or I pounced further than a normal dash grab, or maybe it had the range of a standing dash grab (without hte shield interrupt that you would have to do to dash shield grab). I then tried it out with snake, and it turns out if you Boost grab, you can get a teensy eensy bit of extra range on your grab (and it might be much more accurate). If this becomes mastered, I think this will become our new alternative to the JC grab.

Try it out. Just dash forward, then Cstick down to do your dash attack, and then hit Z during hte early frames. Your grab should come out, and i think you'll notice an improvement.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Wow...how is this not interesting anyone. Maybe someone can help taking a vid of this.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Pretty sure it's been discovered. Can't hurt to spread the word though.

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
Wow, pretty interesting find. This might probably help characters who can chain grab, such as Falco and DeDeDe, so they could chain grab opponents to even higher percents. Unless it's slow, of course, but I can't test it out atm.

This makes me wonder.......What if you could cancel dash attacks with any move that's layed out to Z?

I'll have to test it out when I have time, which will be in like 8 hours or so, so somebody will probably test it out before me.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
Ness already has bizzare range with his dashing. Who knows what this will do to him? <_<

Doval

Smash Lord
It's old, and it's pretty useless in Brawl because you get a dash grab, not a standing grab. It's only moderately useful a very small amount of characters (Sheik and Snake are the only ones that come to mind, since they move very quickly during their dash attack, and there isn't a large difference between their dashing and standing grabs.)

Doval

Smash Lord
yep... but in melee it wasnt that much effective unless you were sheik
It was plenty effective because you'd get a standing grab. It wasn't any more effective than jump-canceled grabs, but it wasn't any worse either.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this also but I guess I didnt do it to a point where I could see it being usefull for jiggs.

and yeah has been done since melee, but kudos on finding a use for it in brawl.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It was plenty effective because you'd get a standing grab. It wasn't any more effective than jump-canceled grabs, but it wasn't any worse either.
Wrong. Boost grabbing made you do a running grab with the altered momentum of your dash attack. It would do interesting things like have Mario give his dash attack yell while grabbing or Sheik having practically three times the normal grab range.

It was much more situational than JC grabs, which are, with the exception of some characters, strictly better than running grabs.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
umm after testing it, im not sure if it gives all characters increased range. Definately helps snake a bit, as well as shiek. I'm not sure if it helps other characters. Maybe somebody can test it?

Doval

Smash Lord
Ankoku said:
Wrong. Boost grabbing made you do a running grab with the altered momentum of your dash attack. It would do interesting things like have Mario give his dash attack yell while grabbing or Sheik having practically three times the normal grab range.
Well I'll be ****ed. I'm not sure how I confused myself into thinking they were standing grabs in Melee. Thanks for the correction.

The NZA: It's not just you. Most characters don't get any extra distance.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
umm after testing it, im not sure if it gives all characters increased range. Definately helps snake a bit, as well as shiek. I'm not sure if it helps other characters. Maybe somebody can test it?
Does it make nearly as much difference as her dash attack canceled usmash?
That thing is crazy.. can she grab half way across FD now?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
JC grabs don't happen in Brawl.

Boost grabs have always been and still are character dependent.

Top Bottom