• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT- HillDash [Update: 6-11-08; 10:30 PM EST]

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well, Gannondorfs HillDash is almost entirely Lag, but it has to do with the Hill chaning your animation or movement slightly. If doing PK Fire makes you go farther horizontally on the slope than in Mid-air, then it IS a Hilldash.

Edit: ShadowLink, care to provide a Link to that thread?

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
I should've posted this when I first saw it lol.

There was a vid on YouTube a while back showcasing a few competitive Brawl tips (I can't remember what it was though) and at the end it showed a tidbit about "interesting physics". Basically, it was what this thread says: It showed Captain Falcon using his <>B after ledgehopping on Yoshi's Island and then sliding across half of the course.

Either way, nice... this probably won't be as flexible as WD, but I think it's the closest we have to it, unless I can figure out my weird MK happenings >_>

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
Hill-dashing is extremely useful for Yoshi, because he can cancel all his Yoshi Bomb lag and do grounded attacks afterwards (if you want) when done on slanted ledges, like in Lylat Cruise.

Watch my Yoshi Tech Video for some examples.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174192

Basically, you slide away from Lylat Cruise's tilted ledges when you do a Yoshi Bomb, which puts Yoshi in the air VERY quickly (looks like a wavedash). After that, you can press TOWARDS+JUMP right as you're leaving the edge, to get a hill-dash effect and be in Yoshi's standing animation. You can literally attack as the Yoshi Bomb stars are disappearing, so this is pretty good, IMO.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
A hillDash is about going UP a Slope, that is a FF Slide, or Reverse-HillDash
Adding a new Hilldash Catagory

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Well, Gannondorfs HillDash is almost entirely Lag, but it has to do with the Hill chaning your animation or movement slightly. If doing PK Fire makes you go farther horizontally on the slope than in Mid-air, then it IS a Hilldash.

Edit: ShadowLink, care to provide a Link to that thread?
Yep here you go

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154329

**Side-b slope cancel:
While on a steep slope, a side-b that is jump canceled while charging or after release can be lead immediately into a smash or tilt attack. [Credited to InterimOfZeal.

I believe there was also a thread I had made in which I think bugball discovered the sliding effect as well. I would have to search for it as well though.
However due to how Smashboards handles topics it was deleted some time ago.

Video posted march 18th
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsPU6nCm5iI

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Im not watching through the whole 7 minute video to find what it looks like. If its a long slide up a hill, it may just be it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I saw it, but thats not really a hilldash. a hilldash is moving a distace up a hill with Wave-Dash results. once you decide to stop with that, you stop. When you decide yo want to do something with this, you SLIDE while doing it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well then sonic clearly has a disadvantage on that part.

The list is now edited to the point where only actualy Wavedashes are pulled off. I found that an airiel that tilts the body produces wavedashes, but they are hindered by landing lag, and there are too many of them to make any mention of.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
FOx's, Falco's, and Gannondorfs HillDashes may have a few frames of landing lag, but the spacies are not really affected by it, they can attack almost immediately, the others have NO landing lag.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
A hillDash is about going UP a Slope, that is a FF Slide, or Reverse-HillDash
Adding a new Hilldash Catagory
What's an FF slide?

I was reading that Yoshi could do a HillDash by double jumping towards a tilted floor (uphill), while barely touching it, while in the air.

If this is not how Yoshi HillDashes, then I would be wrong in calling this a HillDash. And then you may clarify my definition of Yoshi's HillDash. :)

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
If you use ZSS's down-B on the bottom of a 45-degree angle, you'll go into a continuous animation of her starting the move while she moves up the hill fairly rapidly. You can start an aerial at any point in this to cancel and attack.

Pretty much the only place you can use this is on custom stages and Yoshi's Island (Melee) on the pipe. Dunno about the hill.

It's almost completely useless, but might as well put it on here.

Eddosan, Fast Fall Slide.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
@Eddosan: That is what Yoshi's HillDash is, its jst timed differently.

@Pearl Floatzel: Ok, I'll add it, I tested it out and it is a HillDash

@Kirby Magatsu and xDarkElement: We have to wait for competive players (Pretty Much Yoshi and CF Mains, them being the most flexible) to test it out, if they think its bad, then so be it. If they can find uses for HillDashing, then they'll use it. I wont prove you wrong, im just saying it can go either way.

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this will never be put in competively. There are no nuetral stages that can do this. Corneria as a counterpick is banned in most places too. Wont ever be used in a tournament. I find this just as a small fun fact to know.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
For the 70th time:
Yoshi can do this on 2/3 of Lylat Cruise, Each wing (Nuetral position and Tilted) As well on the side platforms while the ship is tilted in that direction. So it may only be used by Yoshi.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
this turned out a lot better then i thought. u need to organize your list a lot better. when u have time just touch up on that. ill see if i can find any other chars doing it on some stages

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Nice! I played around with this a little and found that the Double-Jump slides were the most useful. You can attack at any point in the slide, just like Wavedashing, and the slide has almost no startup time (esp. if you use Tap Jump + Jump Button one after the other).

Special-based slides, however, lag as long as the character normally would if landing during the attack, preventing them from doing another attack until later in the slide. Raptor Boost slides, for example, travel far, but you can only attack at the end of the dash, making it less "wave dash-y" than the DJ slides.

Nice find. I plan on updating the AT sticky today for the first time in awhile, so look for this in the "Character-Specific - Multiple" section.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
@Crizthakidd: Are you talking about the Stage list? If you are, then I can agree on that, I should fix it up.

@Jewdo: Yes, I'm well aware that the DJ Slides are more useful and that the Boost Slides do have some Lag at the beggining. And Thanks for putting it in the sticky.

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
Wait... this isn't common knowledge? I've been doing this since the first day this game came out lol...

Guess I should've mentionned something.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Well, it kinda is, but some people may need to know it.

(Ultimario is that REALLY your Friendcode? IT'S AWESOME)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
@Mista Sinista: Its quite possible many people knew of this, but didnt know how flexible it was, did you ever try it with Yoshi on Lylat Cruise's Wing and EXPECT good results? I doubt many people would.

@Dekuu- (Same as Above)
And Yes, that is my real FC, and it IS awesome. I got 0001 AND 3000 =D

Top Bottom