• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT - Sliding Cape (aka Nyani's Secret Slide)

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
Hey Bros, i stumbled across this the other day. I'm hesitant to call it a tech, because i'm not sure if it's useful, but yeah. Made a short little video, because i don't recall anyone else bringing this up before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvMUHOcrJok

Basically, initial dash, slight wait, then cape.

I've found it useful in approaching projectile-based characters, but outside that obviousness, it needs more work for sure. Help me out Bros~

~Nyani

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
We already knew about Sliding Cape (we called it Cape Dash), but the Fireball slide is a something I haven't seen before.

Sliding Fireball could be useful.

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
Ahh alright. shame the fireball is such a pain to do. I can;t get a sliding b-reversed fireball to happen consistently, it always turns into a wavebounce.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
The Villager boards noticed something similar to this with multiple of their moves (originally usmash), and Greninja has an AT utilizing a similar premise...I think it's fair to say this is actually a universal trick that works with much of a character's moveset.

Haven't really messed with this on any character yet, but I'm noticing Mario can get the slide with a jump cancel usmash as well (slides during startup/charging, comes to a screeching halt when the hitbox becomes active).

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Doesn't seem too useful in general, but if it you get a bigger boost like you do in the air with shock cape, it might become a nice mix up.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I just saw this and honestly I'm liking it. This isn't like a break the game Mario trick, but I see a couple of nifty things that I can use as fun mix ups. Here are just two off the top of my head:

1. The sliding forward cape I can see as a possible option if you think your opponents is going to stay in front of you and not shield. Maybe they are gonna jab or ftilt or something facing forward. They put in their command and they are doing it another way. Punish accordingly.
  2. The other nifty one I liked was the retreating fireball. Suppose someone is landing towards you. You can do a quick dash away and turn around fireball. Nice safe little punish.
It's kinda late now, but it's something I wanna test on a bit. By aerial wave bounce, do you mean a B reversal? Where you go one direction and your momentum changes immediately as you use a B move?

Iko-Seiko Iko-Seiko have you tried doing this tech with any character besides Mario/Doc?

Last edited:
Top Bottom