• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NEW AT VIDEO] Getting our hands on Smash4 build/demo [...]

Tristan_win

Not dead.
It seems no one has asked the big questions

Check to see if dash dancing is still useless
Check to see if air dodging into the ground still give you a lot of lag
Check to see if smash DI is still out of the game
Check to see if aerials still have a lot of lag upon landing
Check to see if characters are still unable to combo from grab (Marth)
Check to see if we are still able to dash into a pivot tilts

There's a good chance this demo is a more up to date version of the game then what we had at e3 so I think conforming what we already know is most important as if there are changes our speculations of the game can greatly change.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace

There's a good chance this demo is a more up to date version of the game then what we had at e3 so I think conforming what we already know is most important as if there are changes our speculations of the game can greatly change.
Indeed, we need clarification on this fore sure!

Malex

Smash Apprentice

According to the OP, they are getting the e3 / best buy demo. Why would there be a "good chance" that this demo is a more up-to-date version?

Also, I believe a lot of your questions are answered from current observations listed members who had time with the game. (I think AA's topic is the best place to start.) Unless you meant if anything has changed since the "previous" demo kit.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No one ever did reveal the damage output for Rosalina's up tilt move. Any chance that this can be looked at?

Malex

Smash Apprentice
Indeed, we need clarification on this fore sure!

The OP never said that.
see

So, we @Smash Bros Italia are gonna get the chance to try out Smash4 for a day (e3/best buy build). Nintendo still has to confirm this, but it's very likely we'll get our hands on the demo [confirmed, there are gonna be amiibos too]. Is there something you would like us to check out? Maybe something you've missed or didn't have the time to test.

Post your comment, we'll do our best to answer to all the best ideas/concerns about the build!

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
They probably wont hand it over, but i was already planning to ask!
Rob it for the people mate. Or just get a decent recorder and capture some characters movesets so we can all see and compare them to their previous literations.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Apparently, at one of the best buys, a guy who picked Random got Ganondorf. So supposedly the random but it glitchy.

If you play a bunch of matches with 4 randoms in a row, you might get lucky, even leak a newcomer.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Rob it for the people mate. Or just get a decent recorder and capture some characters movesets so we can all see and compare them to their previous literations.
we'll do our best, i just hope they'll have more than a couple of game stations. You see, we wont be the only ones there.

Uploading videos, we might have discovered some stuff!

stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
"Discovered some stuff"?

Like Wavedashing?

L-Canceling?!

SHFFLing!?!?!?!?!? MELEE? MELELELELELELELELE PROJEKT M MELEEEEEEEEEEE!??!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?

/notsarcasticthiswouldmakeallmydreamscometrue

Malex

Smash Apprentice
I guess in Italy it takes 24 hours to upload videos to the internet. The more you know.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Is DK's carry grab still ridiculously easy to break from?

Are austerity cuts still a card on the table in the current Italian government?

Any random assist trophies that we haven't seen?

Malex

Smash Apprentice
we'll do our best, i just hope they'll have more than a couple of game stations. You see, we wont be the only ones there.

Uploading videos, we might have discovered some stuff!

stay tuned!
Skull_kid once left to upload some videos........

no one ever heard from him again.....

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Skull_kid once left to upload some videos........

no one ever heard from him again.....
Have some patience; video processing is actually incredibly time consuming, it's very early in the morning right now in Italy, and if their event was anything like ours, they're probably exhausted from spending 6 hours in line to actually get the footage. They probably set everything up to upload, went to bed, and will finalize when they wake up.

Malex

Smash Apprentice
@ M Malex - If you have nothing to actually contribute, I suggest you not post here specifically to badger them.
I apologize, sometimes I forget my sarcasm isn't always appreciated. Won't happen again.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I want to know how effective the K.O. Uppercut is against an opponent at 0%, mainly. I can't think of anything else.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Lol, i was at a friend's wedding guys! Videos will be up asap!

Have some patience; video processing is actually incredibly time consuming, it's very early in the morning right now in Italy, and if their event was anything like ours, they're probably exhausted from spending 6 hours in line to actually get the footage. They probably set everything up to upload, went to bed, and will finalize when they wake up.
Plus, i went to a wedding. Fortunately we basically had the wiiu set ups all to our selves.

I was only able to play a couple of hours cause of my ****ty work schedule (still, i mostly played 1v1 games against a competitive player), but Loci_AF played the game all day!

I can tell you that we love the game. Can't wait for it!!!

Videos (not all) will be up probably by tomorrow, we are setting up a new youtube channel so please be patient guys!

PS: THAT SHEIK (on 3ds)

Last edited by a moderator:

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
1v1 competitive matches? Dis gun be good.
Yep, I fell like we tried to play too much as it was Brawl.

Guess it's normal though, we just got a taste of the game and still know nothing about it!

ferioku

Smash Ace
Yep, I fell like we tried to play too much as it was Brawl.

Guess it's normal though, we just got a taste of the game and still know nothing about it!
Would you say it's similar brawl or different? People keep saying its exactly like brawl and when I played it, I thought the complete opposite, its not like either!

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
We got the game over here in Australia as well.

To clear up some confusion I've seen in this thread:

1) The Wii Us are not devkits. They are actual Wii Us with a Smash 4 App installed into them.
2) The build we got was the exact same build as E3. This was confirmed by Nintendo staff.
3) Waaay too many players bought into the Ganon rumor. Lots of people chose random, 0 Ganons appeared. Ridley did though, but we didn't take a picture... seriously who believes stuff like that?

The game to me feels like what Brawl should of been. The game is faster than Brawl, but not as fast as Melee. Gimping is different in this game because you can't just hold the edge. You have to commit to going off stage and stopping their recovery. It's hard to say exactly where the game is in terms of overall balance. Too many characters are unexplored at this point. Fox and Marth have been nerfed, Samus and Bowser have been buffed. It's a whole new game and I think we'll be seeing much more diversity in tournaments this time around.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Would you say it's similar brawl or different? People keep saying its exactly like brawl and when I played it, I thought the complete opposite, its not like either!
Smash4 is exactly like Smash4

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I can understand that. I just think it has such a low chance of happening. There could be better things that they could do with that time. It's the Halting Problem, you know? When are you supposed to stop testing? When it happens? Well, what if it never happens in the given amount of time? You can't even conclude that the bug doesn't exist in that case.

It's an exercise in futility.
Failure to get Ganondorf will not disprove the claim, but succeeding in gaining Ganondorf (or some other unintended character) will certainly prove it. It's not completely futile. Also the Halting Problem doesn't really apply to human beings who can say "forget this" and give up. If they were automating this and couldn't stop it then yeah, that could potentially go on for a while. However, due to the probabilities, it probably wont.

Responding to other posters, yes it'd be easy to debug this, but it'd also be really easy to make a mistake like this and overlook it. Obviously they need some kind of code that doesn't randomly pick locked characters (unless they do away with unlockables), but what if that code isn't complete? Or what if Ganondorf wasn't properly flagged as "locked" even if he doesn't show up on the CSS? It's a very easy thing to overlook and, if you aren't looking in the right place in your code, it's very easy to not even notice that the bug exists.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
@ Skull_Kid Skull_Kid , you say you found new stuff? Can you maybe clarify? Are talking about items, ATs, or just movement in particular? If you don't want to say anything, you can give the Smash Information thread to see what's already been discovered and reconfirm what you have is indeed new.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
@ Skull_Kid Skull_Kid , you say you found new stuff? Can you maybe clarify? Are talking about items, ATs, or just movement in particular? If you don't want to say anything, you can give the Smash Information thread to see what's already been discovered and reconfirm what you have is indeed new.
We THINK we might have discovered something new, as soon as the videos are up you'll see, sorry if i'm being "mysterious" and everything but we don't wanna spoil it!

It's not like we got some new character footage, it's all related top the build everybody else tried.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
Steal the demo console, follow these instructions to rip the game, upload the files to the internet

Hehe, I appreciate a good programmer's joke. I'm a programmer.

But for clarity's sake, since some are seriously considering this: Smash Bros. is written in C. (Wii U games are) The code used would be selected_fighter = fighters_available[rand() * fighters_available_count]; . And before you suggest IDs, those are automated, regardless of how many characters are actually present. Bowser will always be character ID 08 or 2F. (Not his real character id) This is an evident pattern with unlocked characters and removed music files.

If it weren't for the fact that this is the 4th game in the series, we COULD expect a random glitch. But Namco Bandai is a different game company making the game, so you never know what files are still there...

tldr; Random never let you play locked characters in the past, it shouldn't let you now.

Did I mention you should steal the demo console and upload the demo files to the internet? Those dev kits are unusually highly guarded, and it does raise suspicion.
It's amazing to me how many programmers don't see exactly how easy a bug like that random thing is could slip in.

Seriously, that's a super easy oversight. All it would take is a development roster (Back when they were just throwing in everything they had models for, for example) and then not remembering after going through character select that the random_select() function is still pointing at the development_list[] instead of the production_list[].

Sure, that's a theory. But it's entirely possible for it or something very similar to it to have happened, it would be hard to catch (Random would still work and most of the time give you proper characters and probably wouldn't even crash, so automated tests would pass it) and ... yeah. Wow, go work on some bigger projects guys.

(I'm not saying it does exist. But it's absolutely reasonable that it could.)

(Edit: Also, back in the day, there would have been at least one, and probably multiple, QAs testing "Select each character 500 times" -- welcome to game testing -- which would have caught this. It could get through in this case if that's not still a thing now in this age of "We can patch it!", if it just wasn't performed before the demos were sent out since they're just demos, or even if it was found and they just decided it wasn't critical to patch since getting a new demo build ready could be a prohibitively long process for the deadline they had.)

Last edited:

Butt Luckily

Smash Rookie
Just curious, but what is the reasoning behind people vaguely saying that there is a something "special" coming/new discovery/new development/etc, but then refusing to give any information at all about it? This is far from the first time its been done, and I cannot conceive of any reason why a person would worry about "spoiling" information about something which really would be considered a "spoiler" anyway?

If the videos are truly going to be uploaded soon, why not talk about what we'll see?
If there is something new there, why not prep us so we know what to look for?
What are the negative side effects of giving us this information (hours? maybe a day or two?) early?

Given the past record of what I've seen with this type of thing, I expect the videos will contain nothing new, extraordinary, or interesting from the rest of the Sm4sh videos out there, I guess besides that it will be nice to see more 1v1s.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
More Sonic details please! He wasn't in the tournament, but from playing him a bit at BB I feel like he's got great potential.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Just curious, but what is the reasoning behind people vaguely saying that there is a something "special" coming/new discovery/new development/etc, but then refusing to give any information at all about it? This is far from the first time its been done, and I cannot conceive of any reason why a person would worry about "spoiling" information about something which really would be considered a "spoiler" anyway?

If the videos are truly going to be uploaded soon, why not talk about what we'll see?
If there is something new there, why not prep us so we know what to look for?
What are the negative side effects of giving us this information (hours? maybe a day or two?) early?

Given the past record of what I've seen with this type of thing, I expect the videos will contain nothing new, extraordinary, or interesting from the rest of the Sm4sh videos out there, I guess besides that it will be nice to see more 1v1s.
Other Italians lurk on smashboards, and right now we're in a phase of transition with our (rather small) community (new web sites, channels ecc). Smash4 is giving us a rather big momentum and we want to exploit it in order to grow. To maximize the importance of Smash Bros Italy as a community we need to be sure that "Smash Bros Italia" will be the first (smash) source Italians will look up to. By giving away information first on smashboards we risk "leaks" on other minor italian web sites/groups; thus leaving us (the competitive players) once again, "powereless" in our own country. We want to nail what we're doing, and to achieve that we need to be sure everything is spot o. Especially now that for us the situation is so delicate, we don't wan to leap another smash generation, we wont accept any risk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom