• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New? Captain Falcon thoughts

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. New here, but not to Brawl. Anywho, I was reading through all the material you've got on here. Nice stuff and I've learn a hell of a lot, but here are 3 things I've been doing (maybe others too) that I haven't really seen emphasized that I'd like to offer.

1. D tilt
Start up lag? A bit, yes, but actually this move has some nice range and less start up lag than ftilt. I use it against opponents that are dashing towards me or just landing from a SH. Also, it acts a bit like crawling, making Falcon short enough so that attacks like Marth's SHed Nair goes right over him, and with a little lag on this attack, you should be able to land it as Marth falls, popping him nicely into the air. I would use dsmash, but the first kick starts behind falcon... more lag compared to a much quicker dtilt.

2. Raptor Boost
I find raptor boost is great stuff, if you know when to time it. As a recovery, it can be helpful if kept fresh, but it's most in my experience effective three times: 1. Well timed punishing of floaty characters like Jigglypuff.. Kirby when they SH. 2. Gimping as well as sometimes punishing gimpers with its spike effect. 3. Edge hogging. This is old news, and I forgot where the youtube video of this was, but if you use raptor boost to a ledge and flick the control stick downwards as you're about to topple to your doom, you'll grab the ledge! A Quick edge hog.

Again, I know it's hitbox only triggers when it hits something, making it easy to stop with any attack that's got ok range (a.k.a. low priority, but has decent damage when the move lands), but when used wisely and unpredictably, it can be very fast and effective. Anything that triggers a combo.

3. Falcon Dive combos?
Falcon Dive, though yes I know that bside > b-up is the noob combo and I don't practice that, has very good reach in terms of who it grabs, much like auto sweet spotting a ledge (though probably not as big). I like to, RARELY, mix things up with a jab > jab > dive if my opponent is too far away for me to grab and doesn't have exactly the best reach or speed to retaliate.. like Mario.. um, or pikachu (especially at high damage, as you know, Falcon Dive can be a strong finisher on lighter characters at highish damage).

That said, if you miss any of these moves, besides a well spaced Dtilt, you will get almost certainly get punished. I like to sprinkle them lightly in a set. They're like the knee, situational (not as situational as the knee or as sexy), but handy.

Please let me know what you think! Agree with me or Disagree!!

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
All pretty much common knowledge.

Nice avatar though. (though it could be better)

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
All pretty much common knowledge.

Nice avatar though. (though it could be better)
Thanks. :p Well, the reason I pose these is because I've seen many Ally, Rebaz, and Lionman vids and they don't seem to use these moves as much. I've noted many instances where they could use them quite effectively. (Lionman does use dtilt more than others though.)

I'm no expert and I know Ally's one of the best Falcon players... but what if he did use these a little more? More of these might help Falcon more against being overwhelmed and maybe also help him start combos!

Lionman

Smash Champion
I like Dtilt in stages with plattaforms but i think isnt a good move for stages like Final Destination, i admit dtilt isnt one of my favorite moves but i think you must use it sometimes, Raptor Boost is a risk, but is a good move.

And yeah, i love Falcon Dive, i sended some Falcon Dive Stuff for the community combo video, it has a great priority and kill potential, a bit risky but most people dont expect an agresive falcon dive usage, also you can do some combos with it, i think nair cancel to falcon dive works in some characters, dunno this is Brawl is hard to know what is really a combo or not.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
I like Dtilt in stages with plattaforms but i think isnt a good move for stages like Final Destination, i admit dtilt isnt one of my favorite moves but i think you must use it sometimes, Raptor Boost is a risk, but is a good move.

And yeah, i love Falcon Dive, i sended some Falcon Dive Stuff for the community combo video, it has a great priority and kill potential, a bit risky but most people dont expect an agresive falcon dive usage, also you can do some combos with it, i think nair cancel to falcon dive works in some characters, dunno this is Brawl is hard to know what is really a combo or not.
Yeah, agreed. Maybe these moves can improve Falcon's range and priority? Also you can get zero punishment for a missed Raptor Boost if you aim it at the ledge and grab the ledge when you fall off with the cstick as I mentioned before. So, it can be less risky than it seems, provided you get the tricky timing.

Two other things I forgot to mention:

1. Insta-Knee-
A small, useful find. Again, it's probably known. When you're on one of the lower platforms on BF and your opponent is below said platform flick the control stick down and do a Fair with the cstick. The result should be some sexy sweetspot action on any character below you. (I haven't tested it against tiny characters like kirby or MK, but with Falcon's FF, he should be able to land it).

2. Pivot Grab-
Maybe CFs use this more and I don't see it, but pivot grab adds a nice very nice range to Falcon's otherwise tiny grab range as everyone knows, especially with falcon's low traction.

Zeallyx

Thanks. :p Well, the reason I pose these is because I've seen many Ally, Rebaz, and Lionman vids and they don't seem to use these moves as much. I've noted many instances where they could use them quite effectively. (Lionman does use dtilt more than others though.)

I'm no expert and I know Ally's one of the best Falcon players... but what if he did use these a little more? More of these might help Falcon more against being overwhelmed and maybe also help him start combos!
Well, generally, the use of less risky moves is better, but implementing them into your game is good, but Ally has surely already done that.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Yes, the less risky the better, and I've seen a lot of that with Ally. Maybe I'm watching dated videos.. but I mostly see him masterfully gimping, punishing, grabbing and FFing aerials, the standard Falcon. He is the lord of reading others, using non-risky moves, and reacting like lightning. Also, if I was in a tournament and facing a very good character with falcon (like most of his vids), I'd probably stick with moves with the least amount of risk too.

So... :/ I guess reading your opponent is key with deciding to use risky moves if you're brawling at a high level. However I still stand by the pivot grabbing, insta-knee, wisely used Dtilt, and raptor ledge cancel as pretty non risky moves. That leaves only Falcon dive combos in the more dangerous category.

PZ

Smash Lord
Yea dtilt and boost pivot grab should be used more...the slide on boost pivot grabbed is soooo much that it should be used.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! xD

I've loved Captain Falcon from Melee and recently decided to take him up in brawl. So, I've been practicing as well as learning all I can from YouTube and this site.

It's just way too unsatisfying to see him so low on the tier list.. He should and must be kicking everyone's *** or there's got to be something we've been missing.

*edit*
Sorry to keep.. adding stuff... but does anyone do instant SH Uairs? Kinda like Gannon's autocanceled Dair, the Uair starts immediately so you don't have to wait at the peak of your jump to FF > Uair. If so, how? My methods both kinda suck.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I prefer to do Jab -> Uair myself, actually. But when I SH UAir, I just... am really fast with my fingers? I can't quite explain it to you... heh.

Also, nice to know there is yet ANOTHER defender of the dtilt. I'm starting to love that move just because Darky Sama dislikes it, haha.

CaptainFalcon9000, are you reading this? THIS is how you make an entrance on a character board here on Smashboards.

PS: There's another insta-knee (sorta) on Battlefield. Run off a platform (inwards) and c-stick. Very easy knee, although it's not instant.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Ah, that makes sense. I'll keep working on my thumb muscles then.

Thanks for the compliments! Though, I think CaptainFalcon9000's posts can be pretty damn funny.

Your insta-knee's interesting! It's much like running off the edge of the stage when the opponent is just below it and throwing out the sweetspotted knee. You know what I'm talking about :p. That's neat to apply it to a platform.

Hey! Maybe we can compile of list of ways to make the knee of justice more unpredictable and fast.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
You seem so eager, you should start a thread on it, hehe :p

By the way, do you have any footage of yourself in a serious brawl match?

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately... I don't :/. Reason being my video camera's quality bites when filming a screen, and I don't have an SD card slot in my computer or have an SD card adapter. I also have only one competition level opponent to practice with offline. (One of these days I'll find my WEP password and get Wifi).

That said, I usually 3 or 2 stock most level 9s (Meta Knight can give me some issues). That isn't saying much compared to real competitive play. I really hope to hit some tournaments this summer and really start to get into the game.

Zeallyx

Thanks! xD

I've loved Captain Falcon from Melee and recently decided to take him up in brawl. So, I've been practicing as well as learning all I can from YouTube and this site.

It's just way too unsatisfying to see him so low on the tier list.. He should and must be kicking everyone's *** or there's got to be something we've been missing.

*edit*
Sorry to keep.. adding stuff... but does anyone do instant SH Uairs? Kinda like Gannon's autocanceled Dair, the Uair starts immediately so you don't have to wait at the peak of your jump to FF > Uair. If so, how? My methods both kinda suck.
I love your mindset

But I dun like your ignorance

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Pardon my ignorance. I do lack experience. All I'm doing is putting forth things that have worked so far for me that I haven't seen done that often by others. Things will probably change drastically in a tournament setting though. :(

I don't mean to make these ideas from a rookie seem grandiose, I'm just offering them up as something to consider.

Zeallyx

Pardon my ignorance. I do lack experience. All I'm doing is putting forth things that have worked so far for me that I haven't seen done that often by others. Things will probably change drastically in a tournament setting though. :(

I don't mean to make these ideas from a rookie seem grandiose, I'm just offering them up as something to consider.
It's cool, you're cool. Only the Q&A thread'll suffice next time.

Welcome to the community though. It's good to have ya.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
I already do. Everyone seems determined to maximize Falcon's strengths and discover new techniques.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
its fancy i only use side b once or twice a match to mix things up tilts works in my region(lol) but other than that Dash attack is the ish it sets up so well. any more set ups from other mains

Psychoace

Smash Champion
If you can land dash attack...but it's like the easiest thing falcon has to shield grab.

I use pivot grab with falcon ALL the time. Platform canceling is also kinda good on smashville.

Ally....is weird. I would dare say he doesn't play the falcon metagame he just kinda reads people. The only advance techs. I've seen him use are grab > regrab on m2ks metaknight and grab release to up b on jigglypuff.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Ally is a special case, yeah. He KNOWS the game, and knows exactly what each character can or cannot do. So catching him off-guard (for real, when he's not sandbagging) is hard.

This means that, effectively, he can play well with almost any character.

Also, I'm the exact opposite of you Psychoace, lol I never use Pivot grab because I haven't got its correct usage figured out yet...

Player-3

Smash Hero
dash attack people out of gr

refresh moves

set up combos

do some pro stuff

take a stock

win

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I've seen Ally's Falcon have moments of aggression... and with good reason.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
This game sucks nuggets, nowww Falcon will unleash his potiental in this wiiU/3ds super smash bros. He tried to help the lower tier but they just don't listen. It is time for Falcon to rise once again.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
@Biglord pivot grab has 2 uses imo :
-mixup your shield pressure, it's super effective when people wait for you to dash attack/dash grab their shield, the moment they realize you're behind it's usually too late for them to react,
-punish/outspace landings because most character have limited landing options (mostly airdodge or aerial), you can easily beat them with the awesome range of pivot grab. You can also beat airdodges with dash attack.

Top Bottom