• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Chaingrab?

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Okay, since no one replied to my post about this in the Q&A thread, i'm making this to bring more attention to it. I believe i have found a new chaingrab, similar to popo dthrow to nana fair, that could be a useful addition to the ICs grab game. It goes like this:

Popo Dthrow -> Nana Usmash -> Popo Regrab

This gives 15% damage, which is more than the ~12% inflicted by the popo dthrow to nana fair cg. It is able to be chained 3 times on most of the cast, and 2 times on most of the remaining characters (the lighter ones), both of which allow for a regrab at the end of the chains.

What makes this cool is that you can change the usmash to a hyphen smash, and the regrab to a dashgrab:

Popo Dthrow -> Nana Hyphen Smash -> Popo Dash Regrab

This will result in you moving a decent distance across the stage, while still keeping the opponent in the grab. And when you chain 3 of these together, you can move your opponent from between 1/3 to 1/2 of the length of Final Destination, depending on the character. That is pretty cool. This means that you can grab your opponent in the centre, then move them to the edge of the stage, and set them up for a spike or an edgehog/guard.

Depending on the timing of the usmash, two things can happen. If you hit them as the throw ends, they will be hit up into the air (where they are in the perfect position for an uair) , or if you hit them before the throw ends, they will stay near the ground, low enough for a regrab. You can also add uairs and usmashes in at various times for more damage.

I have tested this on about 1/3 of the cast, it it seems to work out fine. Keep in mind that, like the popo dthrow to nana fair combo, this works best at lower percents, as the knockback from both the smashes and throws makes regrabbing impossible. Character weight plays a large part, as heavy characters like Bowser dont get knocked into the air as easily, making it easy to chain 3 or 4 at low percents, whereas lighter characters are generally better suited to a followup uair. Most midweighters can be done either way, for example Diddy is easy to do both ways. Timing for the Usmash varies a lot depending on what character and what you want to do.

This grab combo also has some variability. Here are some alternative for the standard grab combo:

1) Popo Dthrow -> Nana Hyphen Smash -> Popo Hyphen Smash -> Nana Uair
2) Popo Dthrow -> Nana Usmash -> Popo Uair
2) Popo Dthrow -> Nana Usmash -> Popo Uair -> Nana Uair

These net ~25-40% damage, depending on the moves involved.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to upload videos, so if someone either confirm this, that would be great. Also, am not able to do any reliable tests with human players at this point, so if somebody could check if it is possible to escape during any part of the various combos via teching, dodging, jumping or attacking, i would really appreciate it.

Once again, sorry if this has already been discovered or proved false.

---

Also, here are some other little combos and grabs i found. I'm pretty sure the third is already known, and the others are non comboable, so they are more damage combos than chaingrabs.

1) Popo Dthrow -> Nana Dashgrab -> Popo Dash Attack = 20%
- Can be done at high percents as well as low, and on all characters. Cannot be chained, as the dash attack/throw knocks the opponent away. Also, you cannot control the direction that Nana throws.

2) Popo Dthrow -> Nana Dashgrab -> Popo Hyphen Smash = 17-25%
- Can also be done on all characters, launches high. Damage dependsi on the throw used.

3) Popo Dthrow -> Nana Squall -> Popo Regrab = ~20%
Can be chained about 3 times at low percentages. Does decent damage.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
...Wait, so, they get knocked up and you grab them? Won't they jump or airdodge or attack or anything like that?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm pretty sure you are just dthrow chaingrabbing and upsmashing them before they leave your hands.

Top Bottom