• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(New)ChallengerApproaching! Roy!(Moved to LSTForums, Decloned RoyV1 is out)

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Well this is weird, a melee Roy model was imported but I don't even wanna download it because the edits in this one seem to make Roy more... Roy? XD
Wow, your Roy model looks amazing so far.

And yea, the Melee model that was released was good but i'd prefer a more Brawlified version of him.
Awesome stuff, you've done a really good job with the model
Thanks, everyone :3 This model is my stab at making the theoretical "Brawl Roy" that should have been.

I myself am...Not too enthused about the Melee import.

It has...Many problems, mostly with rigging, but also stuff like the faces/eyes, the way his hand was vertexed to hold a sword, the lack of his swordblade bones being rigged means that he cannot properly sheathe his sword, either, as it uses one of the bones to scale the blade down to a minuscule size(Marth's side taunt, and my alternate down taunt), and some other stuff...

But, I am a nitpicky perfectionist after all.
I do like the idea of the armour parts having a metallic shine though. That's a great idea that I may use for my model, too.

And speaking of models, I suppose I should post some more pics of my progress. I've managed to refine his model to the degree that I want, and get him into the necessary polygons needed. Now I'm editing his texture files, so he'll have less. (The cape is being stupid, sadly, as it's a single polygon, but uses double sided textures...Also, I dunno what to do with the EyeHigh and EyeWhite textures...)

Another problem: I cannot get rid of seams that appear in some of his textures when applied to the model(See his chest armour below)

I've nabbed Marth's jewel from his Brawl model and attached it to the Sword of Seals. The "gem" on the Melee sword model was just a texture, so I figured this'd be cooler :3(Also that hand has not been vertexed into "sword-position" yet. I have been copying polygons, and mirroring them to be as symmetrical as possible. I'll vertex the hand when I get to the rigging process)

Likewise with the gem above, Roy's sideburns and the hair on the back of his head(or is it neck?) was merely a texture. So, I decided to copy parts of his Melee hair and mould him some more hair :3 This will also cut down on strange looking deformations on the back of his neck during animations.

I actually thought that Vert had snagged the Melee model's boots and legs, but it turns out it was still the vertex's, but with the metal horse spur things, still. I had done some edits to re-shape his boots, and made the top part of it be indented in the middle by adding some more vertices. I also have Roy's knees partly inside the top of his boot, a la Melee.(I made his pants skinnier and repositioned his legs as the original model I got from Vert had the legs not quite in a "T-pose")

Also, you can see that I shrunk the cape. Roy's goes down only to about the top part of his boots, and spreads out far less.

Here I've reshaped his tunic a bit to be baggier at the bottom(might not be able to see it) as well as making the collar of it be the correct shape.

The chest armour was also edited, making it rounder. In the file I got from Vert, it was too flat looking, so I changed it. I also added part of the side armour to make it like in Melee - The side armour was a funny shaped object stuck inside Roy's chest, just like how Marth's back straps are a funny shaped solid object stuck inside him.

Here we have sheathe pics. I have the sheathe in the correct position, and I have also done away with the metallic things being merely texture onto his belt, and instead made them into actual modeled pieces. I intend to have Roy be able to put his sword away into the back sheathe on the back-sheathe model.

The no-sheathe Roy will also be able to "sheathe" his sword as well. I will have him put a full copy of his sword behind him to work with the model changer event in PSA, as opposed to just the hilt of it. It'll also kinda hover there, as the little metal gizmo was only present WITH his sheathe. (There will also be a side sheathed Roy, like Marth.)
Its not really bad but it just seems like he's hopping more than running... Or maybe just modify the movement of the trans N bone in the animation, that may be the actual problem and speeding it up would just make it less noticeable... Sorry for being picky about that XD the actual animation is great, its just the way he moves.... (move,stop,move,stop etc.. Ik its more realistic but that doesn't really fit brawl IMO)
I can sort of see what you mean, but overall I still do prefer how it currently is...Although, I did make edits to the animation to have him be more "fluid", it just somehow doesn't feel very suiting to me. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

I've also made an entirely new Flare Blade animation. It looks much nicer than the one we've been using from P:M. It's start-up has more personality, the charging is better looking, he gets up much more naturally, and it doesn't have any animation issues in slow motion. It also retains the same number of frames.(Not sure if the hitboxes are still 100% perfect, but I studied the old P:M animation and Roy in Melee while making this pretty closely.)

I've also finished his Wait1(yes, it was incomplete for months), and am remaking the 4th Up side B hit at the moment. Those combined with stuff like his Counter animations, and his 3rd down hit makes me wonder if the P:M Team'll come knocking on my hypothetical door in the future. Heh heh ^_^'

Also, I still cannot find how to change his B move's charge speed. vBrawl Marth, P:M Marth and Roy all have "2" for their charge speed when viewing their PSA's in hex, or with the Article Floating Point Editor, despite having very different charge speeds. Is 242C0 ~really~ the correct address? Is there another way to change this attribute? ;__;

I am stuck...

Thany

Smash Journeyman
???

Do...You mean a version of my Roy PSA for P:M?

I guess I could do that too if the P:M team won't, given how the others(Roy, Mewtwo, etc) won't be included unless they can be added without taking someone else's space.

Plus, I am intending to make vBrawl and Brawl Minus versions as well...But a P:M version'll be something I won't whip up all that quickly, I'm afraid.(Plus, the vBrawl and Brawl Minus versions are just simple tweaks of what the finished product will be.)

Thany

Smash Journeyman
^ Done.

And to everyone, I have a really really super big and important thing about Roy I need to all let you know...

...Erm...

Well, simply put, it is going to take a LOT longer to finish him up. I had to start over with with new.pac file. I don't know what Googoldganon and his crew did to that file, but for some reason I could not change ANYTHING that involved hexing.

It said in Hex that FlareBlade's charge time was the same as vBrawl Marth, and we all know that isn't the case. It was almost 6 seconds long, not 1-2. I had hunted for answers in many places, but alas nothing that worked turned up.

I've been spending the past 3-4 days recreating him from the old file(with some fixes here and there), but even its attributes weren't the same when I match the digits, so I had to keep changing those based purely on feel, not numbers.

Heck, I did it twice actually. I started with a vBrawl Marth.pac, remade everything under his subactions and attributes, and stuff wasn't quite right, so the next day I started again using Brawl+ Marth as the base this time. B+ Marth felt closer, but still had some stuff I needed to tweak. (Plus, he was based around B+ to begin with)

But as things currently stand, I have him completely reconstructed, except for the hexing involved with his Flare Blade and Counter, his Final Smash, and the mechanics of his Up B.(Gonna try to do his Up B differently. I want to fix that glitch he has when you Up B someone against a wall that no one here has brought up before x__X)

tl;dr version:
Roy died. Then I brought him back again. Then he died again. Then I brought him back once more and that's where I'm at now.

...Oh, Also I'm getting close to rigging that model...Which wasn't anywhere near the correct size, or rotated to match the skeleton, rendering all my work to make him symmetrical nigh pointless

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Well...
I only need to fix one thing in PSA and make about 6 more animations, and he should be done and then I can make a proper vBrawl version a version for Brawl Minus, and even my de-cloned Roy...

...But I can't make his Up B work correctly. I've recreated everything under the Specials tab and the subactions tab for his Up B, but it won't work...He doesn't really travel very horizontally, and when he reverses direction, it's the same as Marth's when reversed...

I've PM'd Magus on Smashmods to see if he can take a look at it - he was the one that edited the old .pac to allow its Up B to function properly...But if he can't do it, then I'm out of ideas. I've looked around for answers elsewhere, but I just could not find anything. I wish there were better PSA tutorials...

...All this work because the charge time was incorrect, and this "old coding method" used to edit it that I can find no info about rendered hex edits to Flare Blade useless... ;__;

tl;dr version: There's a chance we're doomed...

Skieth

Smash Apprentice
I took a gander at the Roy files to see if I can help. I thought Roy's upB animation might have more horizontal movement than Marth's, but it doesn't look like it. It seems like Roy can DI really well during the upB animation. I tried setting RA bit 18 during Marth's recovery subaction, but the horizontal movement stayed the same.

I'll keep poking around..

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Heh heh heh...

It's okay. You don't need to poke around anymore...

...I did it. I fixed it. I managed to make it work on my own. I'm still feeling a little shocked that I fixed it, actually, especially given how PSA ignorant I am still...

Everything is going to be fine now. Heh...Heh heh heh...Yay! ^w^

I just need to tweak some things. He can reverse the direction, but at the moment, you need to wait until a very specific time to do so, whereas with the old .pac you could just hold the joystick in the opposite direction the whole time.

*relaxed sigh*

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
???

Do...You mean a version of my Roy PSA for P:M?

I guess I could do that too if the P:M team won't, given how the others(Roy, Mewtwo, etc) won't be included unless they can be added without taking someone else's space.

Plus, I am intending to make vBrawl and Brawl Minus versions as well...But a P:M version'll be something I won't whip up all that quickly, I'm afraid.(Plus, the vBrawl and Brawl Minus versions are just simple tweaks of what the finished product will be.)
Given what you've already done, it shouldn't be incredibly difficult to port him over if my meager knowledge of PSA serves me correctly. If I'm right, all you should have to do is open Marth:M in PSA and make the necessary edits from there.

Skieth

Smash Apprentice
I think in the old pac Roy's upB would reverse if you're holding backwards on the joystick by the time the sword is pointed downward. If you don't reverse, the upB's horizontal distance is influenced by how you're holding the joystick when the sword is pointing forwards. If you reverse directions you have less/no influence on horizontal velocity.

Glad to see progress

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Given what you've already done, it shouldn't be incredibly difficult to port him over if my meager knowledge of PSA serves me correctly. If I'm right, all you should have to do is open Marth:M in PSA and make the necessary edits from there.
Hrmm...
Well, on the one hand, this does make sense. I did remake this Roy based on a fresh B+Marth.pac..., but also when I was investigating the problem with the old Roy.pac's Flare Blade, the P:M Marth's Shield Breaker had that same evil number '2' for its charge time despite charging longer than vBrawl Marth, so that kinda feels like a big obstacle to do something about(Unless demo2's .pac is different now...Haven't checked it yet)

Plus, given how it's Project:M, I'm not sure I'd be able to come up with a super-magical-competitive-equally-tiered Roy for it, given how high they're trying to make the entire cast.

I personally like Roy as he is, many of his useless moves in Melee and most tips were changed to be support/set ups for other attacks, but I recall reading that someone from P:M thought he needs something better than a "Brawl Plus gimmick" like the tips if they were to make him... >_>

Overall, for a P:M Roy, I don't want him to be broken down and rebuilt completely like some other characters, I just want him to be like what I've made him - An improved version of his Melee self, but without sacrificing a whole lot of what made him who he is.(Plus, they gave his edge system to Pit, I do not like that. Feels less likely they'd bring him back, seeing as Dr.Mario and Young Link's traits were given to Mario and the other Links respectively...)

...But, after this Roy's done, I do want to take a little break from this scene for a while. Or at least just work on projects in a more secluded, and more relaxed manner. That's another reason why I won't immediately jump to it, but I'll try to do a P:M Roy in the future.

I think in the old pac Roy's upB would reverse if you're holding backwards on the joystick by the time the sword is pointed downward. If you don't reverse, the upB's horizontal distance is influenced by how you're holding the joystick when the sword is pointing forwards. If you reverse directions you have less/no influence on horizontal velocity.

Glad to see progress
Mmm...
Roy can still "reverse" per se, but...Uh...I'll make a drawing to better illustrate what I mean.

If you hold the joystick in the opposing direction from the start, he only goes as far as Marth does, as illustrated on the bottom pic. To make him go as far as the forward angled one, you need to hit back at a VERY specific moment. I've looked over the stuff for his Up B again, and fiddled with the timers and events to see if I could fix it, but it's not working.

Actually, if you hit back a little later than that, he will go in that direction, but not turn around. This was also present in Magus's original Up B programming from January of 2011, though.

I also found out why his Up B could cheaply KO foes when he drags tham against a wall with it and fixed that(had to do with the offensive collisions that were looped 4 times. I just made them the same as the last hit. I think it was the direction or damage that cause it.)

...Huh. Guess I didn't need that pic. Oh well, it was going to be a simple stick-doodle example, but I accidentally got sucked into it for two hours.

DjChopper24

Smash Cadet
Howdy! First of all, I just wanted to say that your project is awesome and I'm very thankful.

I'm still new to this though. Just wanted to ask a quick question about the sound effects, I've tried placing it in X:\private\wii\app\RSBP\pf\sound but all I seem to get is silence for the most part and all the characters lose their voice. =/

Am I doing it wrong? Is it because I have a PAL version of the game?

Skieth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I did notice that if you don't try to reverse directions until right before Roy leaves the ground you'll go backwards in the air without turning around. I actually assumed this was intentional.

I haven't quite figured out how the upB timing is implemented yet..Perhaps I can help shed some light on it after this weekend.

Since it keeps coming up; I am excited about a Roy PSA that fits in Project M, but I think recreating Roy exactly as he was in melee would be a step backwards.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I did notice that if you don't try to reverse directions until right before Roy leaves the ground you'll go backwards in the air without turning around. I actually assumed this was intentional.
Well...I wouldn't call it intentional, but I just figured it was a side effect of the coding for his Up B. I didn't see it as a problem then, but if possible I'd like to have that remedied as well.(Even though I used to see it as a neat trick, like an advanced technique, except...Well...Being competiviely useless :B )

Magus did the Up B for the old .pac waaay back when I first started, so I was hoping I could get him to take another look to see why it's not working on the new .pac I have .__.
I did copy everything under Specials, the Subaction, the hex edits, but I guess there's more of that "old coding method" edits to it or some other seemingly invisible values that need to be edited....*groooooooooooooooooooooooan...*

I haven't quite figured out how the upB timing is implemented yet..Perhaps I can help shed some light on it after this weekend.
That'd be fantastic, thank you. I find PSA is just so convoluted and not very straight-forward, and could really use the help(And it's too text-heavy for my poor focusing abilities to handle sometimes... ;__; )

Since it keeps coming up; I am excited about a Roy PSA that fits in Project M, but I think recreating Roy exactly as he was in melee would be a step backwards.
Mmm. Even though I love him, faults and all, I agree with you on that one.

Overall, what I've done with my PSA, with the addition of L-Cancelling, Wave Dashing and changing the hitlag on the side B to be like Melee's would feel like it'd be a pretty good P:M Roy.

Less useful moves in Melee like his Jab(at lower percents ,anyway) and his Up Tilt being changed to be set ups/having a specific function instead of just being slower, weaker Marth attacks is a good way to improve him.

Plus, I always did try to aim for having Roy be the middle man between Marth and Ike.
I wanted him to be stronger than Marth, but weaker than Ike, faster than Ike, but slower than Marth.

The aerials aren't really a concern to me, Roy being a more ground-oriented fighter just feels more suiting to me(Not to say his aerials are so...Underwhelming this time around, though. He's got 3 aerial spikes now.) Odds are, he won't be a whole lot different than he is now - I loathe the thought of him being rebuilt as something else, sans my de-cloned idea. Dat new Side B *licks lips*

~

As for his SFX, I also do intend to make an edited BRSAR for the PAL sounds sometime down the road, and I'd like to make alternate copies of the PSA to support different region's SFX...

vBrawl, PAL vBrawl, Brawl+, PAL Brawl+, Brawl-, PAL Brawl-, P:M, PAL P:M, and doing the same thing for the De-cloned Roy I wanna make after this one is done...(Oh God! ;__;)

I had also wanted to make alternate SFX packs where Roy's sounds are put over Galleom's, but this would result in not having KO sound or a crowd cheer, though...I had also learned that PSA can call BRSTM's, I made Roy's taunt play the FE victory theme and it worked; he could also keep 'spawning' the tune and it'd overlap like a normal Brawl sound - the background music wasn't affected, either!
...But then I gave another taunt the Mario victory theme, and suddenly he could not interrupt it with another theme, regardless as to which one I tried to follow it up with.

But even if smaller SFX-turned-BRSTM's worked, I'd have no way to make him have it over his crowd cheer, or presumably KO sounds still.(And even though I have a lot of song slots I'd sacrifice for Roy to have his SFX, even on Gecko, I doubt a lot of other people want to have that ;__; )

I am also unsure as to how damage voice clips work - Are they simply randomly selected after being hit hard enough, or do some ~only~ play at certain %'s? If it's the latter, then I can't just use a subroutine to make him revolve between them, unless it were a big, complex one that takes damage & into consideration...

Thany

Smash Journeyman
I apologize in advance for the double post, but I have FANTASTIC NEWS!

I was able to speak with Magus, and I learned how to fix the Up B!

It was ONE single line in hex to fix! One! changing a 01 to a 00!

WE'RE SAVED!!!!!

Skieth

Smash Apprentice
Wow, what specifically was the problem? I familiarized myself with all the recovery code, even found the add-momentum instructions secretly stashed in the SFX tab, but I couldn't figure out what would be causing the strict timing you described.

ryuunosuke

Smash Rookie
Just had to ask, but does this release have anything to do with this thread?

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=26434&Moderated=All&facebook=true

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, other than maybe "borrowing" things from you guys.
Another RoyHatena stunt... all this stuff is stolen... the model is from BeyondYou, the textures are from AGFan(not KTH, my bad), and the PSA is from Thany, and I know this PSA is from Thany for sure... I checked it out, they have all the same animations that Thany did... and its really hard to believe that this idiot did it in a month...

Albafika already reported it... http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=18523.msg912110#msg912110

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the guy's/thief's youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/luigiturd

It seems that this idiot takes credit for other hacks too...

Lastly, FIRST POST YAY!

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Wow, what specifically was the problem? I familiarized myself with all the recovery code, even found the add-momentum instructions secretly stashed in the SFX tab, but I couldn't figure out what would be causing the strict timing you described.

Well, it was literally a single bit of stuff to hex around the 2000-hex-line(Somewhere closer to the beginning than where the rest of his Up B stuff was). Basically, making a value in that line be 00 instead of 01 somehow allowed his Up B to work properly.

I wish I could explain it better/had some idea about what it meant, but it...Uh...It basically makes it work just like the current public .pac - He can reverse direction and gain the proper horizontal distance when you hold back, even if from the start of the animation instead of the timing being insanely strict.

*hugs Thany* props on both the Luca pic and this owo why has no one showed me this sooner!!! D<
Heh heh. Thanks. Better late than never, I suppose :3

Just had to ask, but does this release have anything to do with this thread?

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Braw...&facebook=true

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, other than maybe "borrowing" things from you guys.
Nope. luigiturd is just a despicable thief. He's probably the same RoyHatena guy from a few months ago. What's worse is that he claimed to have made "his" Roy in only a month, including the model which was obviously either Beyond's vertex, or my touched up version with Melee textures slapped on it >_>.

Someone brought up that to do something like this, you'd have to work tirelessly everyday and it'd ~still~ be impossible to accomplish that much work in that span - Heck, I ~do~ work on Roy every single day and his progress is still going at the pace of a constipated snail up a molasses-covered hill in the dead of winter.

And that's WITH Goodoldganon's .pac as the base : /(Not so much now, as I had to make a new .pac, but still...)

Oh well, mostly everyone by now knows that I'm the one who's put all this time on Roy for the past YEAR AND FOUR MONTHS. I mean, he shows no evidence for working on it anyway, whereas I've had this thread open since I first took over. And wow, he "worked" on "his" Roy for 30 days? Wow. That's such a big accomplishment. /sarcasm

Being able to whip all this up in a month is a laughable thought within itself. I took an entire month just making my touchups to BY's RoyV3 vertex.

Have some screens my comrades~(I'll put them in link form.)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62979271/luigiturd_1.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62979271/luigiturd_2.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62979271/luigiturd_3.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62979271/luigiturd_4.png

Another RoyHatena stunt... all this stuff is stolen... the model is from BeyondYou, the textures are from KTH, and the PSA is from Thany, and I know this PSA is from Thany for sure... I checked it out, they have all the same animations that Thany did... and its really hard to believe that this idiot did it in a month...

Albafika already reported it... http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?to...2110#msg912110

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the guy's/thief's youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/luigiturd

It seems that this idiot takes credit for other hacks too...

Lastly, FIRST POST YAY!
Welcome to my humble abode(I almost posted this before I saw your post ^_^')

Albafika is how I became aware of this little show. I had signed on today, and was informed about this.(The screenies are also his.) Glad he punished that little brat, I wish a terrible fate upon him in the real world for his injust actions.

It's a shame really. I mean, I work HARD on everything for Roy everyday. If it wasn't for me, someone else would have to step up to the plate to put him back in Brawl. Something that I doubt others have the insane dedication, precision, or time that I do.

I spend ALL my free time with this. I bought LoZ: Skyward Sword a month ago and have only played it ONCE, and I'm a HUGE Zelda fan and have loved the game so far, if that's any idea of my dedication. *Mama Bear*

I drive myself insane working on his model, his PSA, his animations, and at some point soon again, his SFX.

Seems like everyone's trying to steal him nowadays...
...But why Roy? Last I checked, he wasn't very popular anyway and was only "hurr durr, a stupid weak Marf clone, durrrrrrr"
/rant

Oh, and I have all of Roy's SFX in BRSTM format, because I'm going to try something in regards to that :3c
Big thanks to Raijinmaru/Reaver Industries for helping me nab 4 sounds I couldn't find.

ryuunosuke

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the welcoming Thany =D... though, I have been in your thread many times before, back then when BeyondYou released his Roy v3, I found out that someone was making the Roy PSA which was you... and ever since that day, I have been looking at the work and updates you've done. I'm a huge fan of your work and a fan of Roy. I thank you for taking your time on making this awesome Roy PSA, I never thought that anyone would make one due to that same reason you mention of Roy not being popular.

Huge Zelda Fan you say? Thats AWESOME!!! My wifey and I are also Zelda fans, though I haven't tried the Skyward Sword game yet (-_-) due to had chose of buying a Nintedo3Ds and Ocarina of Tme 3Ds... Out of all the Zelda games, my all-time favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask =D...

Umm... sorry for being off topic... hehe... So yeah I just registered on this site so I can let you know about that idiot stealing your PSA (SICK *******!) but Albafika beat me to it =P... lol...

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Wow... Feels like I haven't been here in ages... Actually, I HAVENT been here for ages. Well, now to ask my question:

I remember a problem I used to have with Roy (while using Gecko, I switched to Rii a while ago) where his sound and fx weren't working correctly. After the switch (and hours of trying to figure out what's wrong) I finally fixed the sound problem (needed to move one measely file...), but the fx problem persists.

What is the fx problem? Well, here it is. When I'm Roy fighting a 1v1 against Marth, everything works perfectly. FX, Audio, Moves, everything (although Marth sounds like Roy, which is caused by the Brsar if I'm not mistaken).

BUT when I fight ANYONE else (Ike, Ganon, Mario, anyone other than Marth. Haven't tried fighting another Roy)... well. Let me list out the problems:

1. When he enters, the FE style ring that surrounds him isn't there. The fire on his sword (for some odd reason) works perfectly (again, haven't tried fighting another Roy to see if there's conflicts or not)

2. All colors on his sword swings are White instead of Orange (or whatever they're supposed to be). Don't know if this applies to his FS as I don't usually play with FS on and... yeah. The FS probably works fine, though.

3. When Roy is charging up his Blaze Sword (his B, forgot what its called), he starts pulsing purple instead of white (the purple that Marth pulses when he is charging Shield Breaker).

Again, those problems only occur when I'm playing as Roy and fighting someone other than Marth (and maybe Roy). Is there a fix for it, is it in the "nothing you can do about it category", or is it in the "we're working on it"?

The following is NOT a bug. I repeat NOT a bug (I think... probably isn't, but I thought that it wouldn't be bad if I let you know about it). When choosing Marth (with the Brsar you've provided) the announcer calls out "Roy". Now, I know that this is probably because this hack was originally meant to be over Marth. Also, whenever I'm in a fight, Marth sounds like Roy (which also isn't a bug, because again, Roy was meant to be over Marth).

Now I'm wondering, why don't we/you (I would love to do it myself, if I figured out how to do it or if someone taught me) just change the voice of the character we're replacing? For example, I have Roy over ROB. Why don't I just change his voices to Roy's? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need to have the code which made Roy use Marth's sound bank, and they'd both have unique voices (this could also apply to replacing the announcers "ROB" to "Roy" and keeping the announcers "Marth" as-is).

Just wondering if that was possible (if you can understand what I'm saying, ofcourse. I tend to start rambling when I have a lot to talk about).

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the welcoming Thany =D... though, I have been in your thread many times before, back then when BeyondYou released his Roy v3, I found out that someone was making the Roy PSA which was you... and ever since that day, I have been looking at the work and updates you've done. I'm a huge fan of your work and a fan of Roy. I thank you for taking your time on making this awesome Roy PSA, I never thought that anyone would make one due to that same reason you mention of Roy not being popular.
Thanks. Guess it's a good thing I've got a heart for scrappy, low tiered characters, eh? Heh heh. Just recycling matches of Marth, Fox, Shiek, Falco, etc bores me to death. To me, Roy felt like a character that you need to work at long and hard to get good with, whereas all the top tiers feel so easy to pick up and destroy people with...I wanna see tournies that consist of lower level characters. Let's see some Ness! Some Pichu! Some Young Link! Some DK! etc...

Huge Zelda Fan you say? Thats AWESOME!!! My wifey and I are also Zelda fans, though I haven't tried the Skyward Sword game yet (-_-) due to had chose of buying a Nintedo3Ds and Ocarina of Tme 3Ds... Out of all the Zelda games, my all-time favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask =D...
Link to the Past is the whole reason I'm so interested in swords and the like(which also means Roy). Being 8 was awesome :3

I personally wish Majora's Mask would get a 3D makeover. It's my favourite one, too. Has my favourite incarnation of Link, and my favourite shield...Plus, OoT's fishing is REALLY trying my already limited patience, but I can't just let myself ~not~ get that dumb Golden Scale >: (

Umm... sorry for being off topic... hehe... So yeah I just registered on this site so I can let you know about that idiot stealing your PSA (SICK *******!) but Albafika beat me to it =P... lol...
No prob. If anyone gets a Roy PSA that's Melee-y ~and~ has unique animations, there's a 99% chance it's mine. I just wonder why that idiot keeps trying to pull this stunt... Feels like there's more to it than just wanting to steal the "fame" >_>

...BUT when I fight ANYONE else (Ike, Ganon, Mario, anyone other than Marth. Haven't tried fighting another Roy)... well. Let me list out the problems:

1. When he enters, the FE style ring that surrounds him isn't there. The fire on his sword (for some odd reason) works perfectly (again, haven't tried fighting another Roy to see if there's conflicts or not)

2. All colors on his sword swings are White instead of Orange (or whatever they're supposed to be). Don't know if this applies to his FS as I don't usually play with FS on and... yeah. The FS probably works fine, though.
This is a problem that comes from using .rel ports, that's not fixable at the moment...

For some reason, the game will only load one set of sound effects between, say, Marth and a .rel port of a Marth PSA. It will then proceed to use only the GFX of the character who was loaded first. After the character who was loaded first becomes absent from the match, they take the GFX and SFX with them. Also happens after matches sometimes...

They'll be mute if they have a code to use the same soundbank as whoever was loaded first, and all external GFX will be absent, or in the case of sword trails, white. The fire on his sword is part of the graphic effect library that any character can use, so it will work regardless, whereas the FE teleport-y ring and the sword glow/trails are character specific.

I'm hoping there'll be a breakthrough with the .rels in the future so that this issue can be, hopefully, resolved...But what I do is after I play as Roy or Marth, and I fight the other one, when I get back to the character select screen, I pick another character, go to the Stage Select screen, then go back and re-pick Marth or Roy, and it usually gives them their GFX/SFX back.

3. When Roy is charging up his Blaze Sword (his B, forgot what its called), he starts pulsing purple instead of white (the purple that Marth pulses when he is charging Shield Breaker).
Strange...I don't recall this happening, except for sometimes when Flare Blade is being charged in the air, and then when he lands he'll turn purple after a bit...I've got this fixed in the new Roy.pac, though as far as I can tell. Same goes for Flare Blade's charge speed.

The following is NOT a bug. I repeat NOT a bug (I think... probably isn't, but I thought that it wouldn't be bad if I let you know about it). When choosing Marth (with the Brsar you've provided) the announcer calls out "Roy". Now, I know that this is probably because this hack was originally meant to be over Marth. Also, whenever I'm in a fight, Marth sounds like Roy (which also isn't a bug, because again, Roy was meant to be over Marth).
Yeah...This BRSAR was put together before .rel ports were made public, so it makes Marth's SFX be Roy's, including the announcer call. I don't really know if it's possible to make SFX packs for each character he can be ported over, given how Roy's SFX are pretty long, and characters like Olimar, or ROB have very short sounds.

But, I do have a few ideas I'd like to try to remedy this.

1. Remake the standard BRSAR edits.

For people who use Riivolution and simply want to replace Marth with Roy, I was thinking that I'll redo the standard BRSAR with better quality sounds, and to change a few misplaced ones(After BlackJax can make BBox support BRSAR edits...I forget how to use Sawndz...)

Probably have to use the Melee crowd cheer for this, even though no one else recycles Melee's crowd cheers...I was thinking of recording my own voice and copying 4 times it and changing the pitch to be his new crowd cheer would work...Problem is, I can only record off of my 3DS, and its format isn't in .wav, like I need it to be, and I've no idea how to covert it from M4A/MPEG-4 audio/whatever the 3DS's format is .__.

This way it'd be an all girl cheer, a throwback to how Roy has 6 possible canditates to marry in his game. Not every Lord can be a pimp with a fire sword ;3 Go! Go! Fangirl Brigade!

2. Roy's SFX in non-looping BRSTM format!

PSA's can summon BRSTMs, so I wanna see if I can make Roy's PSA use those without much trouble, so that even on Gecko he can have his SFX(except for the announcer stuff. Also, the KO sounds, the Crowd Cheer, and possibly damage sounds might not work, though...) But, I'm probably the only person who's willing to sacrifice 40+ song slots for this, assuming more than one BRSTM-sound effect at a time will even work.

3. Putting his SFX over a boss!(Sorry fans of Classic/possibly SSE...Most likely Classic)

Roy has about 42 Sound files, but the only bosses who have that many sounds are MasterHand and CrazyHand, if memory serves, with 50 and 45 SFX slots, respectively.(Of course, this would mean that based on who you want to have him over, you'd still need to make an edit to that character's announcer call to call out "Roy!", though...)

Most bosses ~do~ have death sounds, so that might work for when they're Star KO'd, but there'd be no crowd cheer though, and I'm not sure how damage SFX work. Do certain sounds only play when they're hit hard enough/at a certain damage%/or is it completely random? If it's the latter, I can make them randomly change via subroutines.

We also need a better announcer call... But the one from the announcer where he did a bunch of other characters(Ridleyyy....Roooooyyyyyy....Mew!Two!.....Mew....two?, etc" Lacks that..Feel that the other SSB calls have. I don't want to use Melee's, because that feels less official, and using the "roy" in the JP versions's "Battle M'ROYale!"(AKA, the current one) doesn't sound too great either : /

I'd record myself playing the part, but I'm...Not too great at mimicking him for what I hope are obvious reasons x__X

Just wondering if that was possible (if you can understand what I'm saying, ofcourse. I tend to start rambling when I have a lot to talk about).
No worries, I understand. I, too, tend to ramble and wander in my thoughts. ^_^'

Alses

Smash Apprentice
2. Roy's SFX in non-looping BRSTM format!

PSA's can summon BRSTMs, so I wanna see if I can make Roy's PSA use those without much trouble, so that even on Gecko he can have his SFX(except for the announcer stuff. Also, the KO sounds, the Crowd Cheer, and possibly damage sounds might not work, though...) But, I'm probably the only person who's willing to sacrifice 40+ song slots for this, assuming more than one BRSTM-sound effect at a time will even work.
Wait what o_o... I did not know that.. I thought they could only summon a limited amount of SFX... If what you say is true... then we can have victory or other awesome music playing in final smashes :O! Like having Captain Falcon's anime punch theme song play in the background of his FS... (which would be extra awesome for me since I have the final falcon punch instead of the Blue Falcon)

Kinda off-topic but thanks Thany :D I got curious and wanna test that now XD

Asaki

Smash Rookie
Hello, just some person who knew about this hack for a while! ^^; Don't know if this has been brought up, but it'd be nice if you guys incorporated some ideas this person had for Roy's moveset (using sword of seals' game animation) if you ever wanted to think of new movesets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KaNUuVYeTI&feature=BFa&

Oh, and are all the download links here the most up to date...?

Thanks for your time!

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
Acabo de ver el video de Alfabika una vez más, y como dije alli, mi infancia te lo agradece.
Que bueno que te haya gustado. :D

Cualquier cosa, puedes preguntarme, si es que no hablas ingles.

Oh, and are all the download links here the most up to date...?
That's the latest released version. Just checked.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
*brushes dust off of topic*

So, a while back I said I probably wasn't going to bother with item animations... But I changed my mind. I've gotten every item animation changed that was different in Melee so far, except his item and....Smash trophy stand thing throws(Does anyone still play SSE, I wonder?). The exceptions are the Cracker Launcher animations, Beam Sword/Fan, Crate carrying, and possibly one more. I've made Raygun/Fire Flower animations, and his SuperScope animations, as well as a new Bat Swing based on his normal sword critical hit from FE6.

I'm currently editing all, yes. That's right. ALL of his grounded animations so they end in Roy's Wait1 instead of Marth's...The only exception being the animation where he lands from his Up B. You cannot edit ANYTHING on that animation without him polygon exploding in-game. I've only got about....*counts* 42 or more animations left to change.

But I have a few questions for you all about some pending changes to Roy...,

I tried Brawl Minus a few days ago and have been playing it for a few days, and I want to ask if these ideas for the Brawl Minus Roy sound good;

BRAWL MINUS Roy ideas;

1. Have FlareBlade charge up to maximum power at the same speed as Marth's Shield Breaker, or otherwise be REALLY fast.

2. Have his aerial side B's first slash give him MEGA aerial momentum forward(somewhat like Marth's uncharged neutral B in Brawl Minus. Sort of like he's flying, but unable to stop himself in the air easily due to the momentum.)

3. Keep the "fire kick" pummel(I don't really have much interest in keeping this on the B+, vBrawl and P:M Roy's, so it'll be a B- exclusive for the heck of it. Felt like it was randomly slapped on the old Roy.pac)

4. Making the hitbox for the Up smash's spike REALLY big and/or present for the same amount of time his other hitboxes are out.

5. Keeping the "Wall KO glitch".(This occurs when you Up B and drag someone against a wall, they...Kinda fly off SUPER far and usually get KO'd. I've fixed this in my current unreleased build, though.)

I've already made some humourous changes to his Lose pose and his WinWait animations for the Brawl- version, but those'll be surprises :3 I also made cartoony CSPs and Battle portraits for it, too.

But anyway, what does everyone think? Good? Bad? Too many changes? I'd rather not do more than 5 changes at most. Other ideas are welcome. (Brawl Minus Roy ideas, I mean)

I ~really~ like the quick Flare Blade, the flying side B, and the Blazer wall glitch ideas, personally.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Note to self: DropBox's photos folder is a no-no. x__x

Cartoony B- CSPS and BP's take two! *hopes this will work this time*

Only 43 animations left, now...I gotta get back to working on that model at some point, too... x__x

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Well...
He would probably work, but seeing as he's designed for Brawl+ at this time, he wouldn't really fit the environment very well.

After I finish everything, I'll make a proper P:M version if I can. Shouldn't be too hard. Just some edits to his side B's hitlag on the first 3 potential swings, changing the air dodge, and adding in the ability to Wave Dash and L-cancel, assuming those aren't done via codes.

*beings to ramble*
Actually, I was thinking of changing the Side B's hits to have actual hitlag on the B+/vBrawl version so the timing would require more practice to master. I kinda wanna change up the GFX a bit, too. Probably going to drop the fire from his pummel on all but the B- version...

32-34 more animations left.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
.... The "Remember Me" box needs to go and... and... ugh. I'll just write this again.

I was playing Roy yesterday and noticed two odd occurrences:

1. Roy's Red Costume ended up looking like ROB's Pink costume. It was weird, it was awkward, and most importantly I never play Red Roy, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

2. Roy's heavy damage knock up cry of pain isn't him yelling oink (or is it boink? yoink?) it's him yelling HIYA! Gets slightly irritating when you hear him say that every time you knock him up and he doesn't die, but instead yells HIYA.

*adds to rambling*
More skill and timing? You do know that it's already impossible for someone who didn't EXCLUSIVELY play Roy in Melee to pick him up and do his Sword Dance/Dancing Blade/Whatever in brawl?

*adds personal rambling*
I saw Roy's new final smash a week ago or so. Was an unexpected treat, it was. Great start up animation, ridiculous amount of sword strikes, and awesome end animation. My only problem is the sword strikes. While the amount isn't a problem, what IS is that your opponent can be lucky enough and walk out of the end of the final smash. An aesthetic change you could consider is zooming in on Roy when he does his start up animation. Would make it look Brawl Legit (I just made a term ^^).

If you require any critiquing or support, don't hesitate to ask.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
More skill and timing? You do know that it's already impossible for someone who didn't EXCLUSIVELY play Roy in Melee to pick him up and do his Sword Dance/Dancing Blade/Whatever in brawl?
I can't testify to the rest of what you've said as I haven't played around with Thany's Roy. That being said though doing Dancing Blade, assuming this Roy is comparable to Melee Roy in this resepect, is hardly impossible. Drawing off of this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286427 it looks like you have about 15 frames (or about 1/4 of a second) to input the next move. You don't have to play Roy exclusively, just go into training mode and go into 1/4 speed to get the movements down, then gradually build up the speed until you can do it normally. It doesn't require you to play Roy exclusively- it just requires you to try.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I can't testify to the rest of what you've said as I haven't played around with Thany's Roy. That being said though doing Dancing Blade, assuming this Roy is comparable to Melee Roy in this resepect, is hardly impossible. Drawing off of this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286427 it looks like you have about 15 frames (or about 1/4 of a second) to input the next move. You don't have to play Roy exclusively, just go into training mode and go into 1/4 speed to get the movements down, then gradually build up the speed until you can do it normally. It doesn't require you to play Roy exclusively- it just requires you to try.
Exactly. I just started to pick Roy more seriously, and it was one of the first things i got the hang of pretty easily :)

Top Bottom