• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Hakkun (Sutte Hakkun)

parrothead

Smash Lord
Click here for his profile page.

Click here for the official Sutte Hakkun website translated.

Click here for the Wikipedia article about the title he came from.

And click here for the gameplay video of Sutte Hakkun.

Sutte Hakkun is a platformer + puzzle title. But there are a lot of problems with this title: It was only released in Japan, anyone nor anything from Sutte Hakkun never appeared in SSBM as anything, it's extremely obscure in Japan, and it probably didn't sell well enough because it was either released in 1998 or 1999 during the time people were switching to the N64. Hakkun might not even return as a trophy in SSBB.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I was waiting for this topic, and was almost about to make it myself.

I can vouch that Sutte Hakkun is one fun *** little game. I've gotten a few friends hooked on it; it's really good. Hakkun is basically this little jelly monster that looks sorta like a glass drinking bird, and he basically has to collect rainbow crystals by swallowing different juices and placing them inside gel blocks to get around. He's got a lot of items at his disposal within the puzzles, but essentially his only power is that he can swallow things through his "straw." But it can absorb things that aren't gel, too, which is weird. There's stages where you have to swallow stones, for example, to drop them on switches. So I imagined that, if he does appear as a fighter, his attacks would revolve around swallowing players and throwing them around the stage that way.

Sutte Hakkun the game was actually rereleased a few times, so Nintendo didn't blow it off. I don't know how well it did on sales, but it is something they pushed for a while. The Nintendo Power add on for the SNES saw a lot of similarly minded puzzle games, and this was the "poster boy" for it I suppose.

Anyways, an old moveset I had cooked up for this guy...

B: Swallow - Sticks out his straw and swallows players he touches with it. Hakkun's body and weight change to the shape and mass of whoever he swallowed, and although they can struggle out, they are stuck a little longer than Kirby's Copy. Hakkun can release them in a short spit, basically a "drop," but damage is dealt when he swallows them.

Forward B: Spit - Spits one of three different color juices. Red sends the opponent straight up into the air; Blue sends them sideways; Yellow sends them up or down diagonally, depending on what corner of the blob hits them. It's random what color he sends out, but you can hold B and have him fill with that particular juice and walk around with it.

Up B: Star - Turns into a star and flies off like Zelda's Up B. Drills into people as he flies off.

Down B: Stone Drop - Pretty much Kirby's Down B.

Yeah, it definitely sucks, but seriously: he's not much for PC material. If anything, he'd be a trophy and maybe an item.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
You know, from the obscure characters that parrothead submits, this is one of those that I actually played his game before. The little thing was fun and it would be a fine addition to the Brawl roster. Some of the newest character suggestions really suck, and I thought all the good characters were mentioned already. But I was wrong. So...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
o.O

People will buy this idea, and not Bonk? I'm not trying to sound mean, but WTF :laugh: :laugh: Sure Hakkun is Nintendo owned, but he can't do ****. He would be a terrible fighter.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
o.O

People will buy this idea, and not Bonk? I'm not trying to sound mean, but WTF :laugh: :laugh: Sure Hakkun is Nintendo owned, but he can't do ****. He would be a terrible fighter.
Flip, don't hate Hakkun. Many people wont accept Bonk cuz he would get in the way of Bomberman. But Hakkun wouldn't suck in Brawl, except for his attacks :chuckle: . And I think any character can come up with a functional moveset (Except a Tetris piece and the Pong line).

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Tomasiarity said:
Flip, don't hate Hakkun. Many people wont accept Bonk cuz he would get in the way of Bomberman. But Hakkun wouldn't suck in Brawl, except for his attacks :chuckle: . And I think any character can come up with a functional moveset (Except a Tetris piece and the Pong line).
I would love to play as Hakkun, but seriously: what could he do? At least Falcon and Fox had decently sized bodies and limbs, and some basis for their attacks. All Hakkun does is drink things. It's not that exciting. I'm not hating on the guy, just saying he's not gonna be a popular character nor one they would have fun creating a moveset for.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
I would love to play as Hakkun, but seriously: what could he do? At least Falcon and Fox had decently sized bodies and limbs, and some basis for their attacks. All Hakkun does is drink things. It's not that exciting. I'm not hating on the guy, just saying he's not gonna be a popular character nor one they would have fun creating a moveset for.
Well, you DID a moveset for him. Did you had fun?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
All right! Yet another obscure character that is forgotten for good reason from parrothead!

There are TONS of more unique characters to choose from to be added to Brawl. I've played this game before, and yes it is fun, but Hakkun can't compete with the other suggestions.

I already have a wanted wtf character, and his name is Bonk.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If Nintendo added Sutte Hakkun to the Virtual Console download list in America, Europe, and Australia, Hakkun might enter SSBB.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Am I the only guy that can appreciate the awesomeness of Tetris Piece in Brawl O.o ?

Anyway, Hakkun would be cool, even though he's probably at the bottom of the list

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

I've just created the Wikipedia article about Sutte Hakkun, but I'm afraid it still needs some more work. What the article really needs is more information about the gameplay of Sutte Hakkun, some screenshots, and plot (if Sutte Hakkun has a plot).

Click here for the Wikipedia article about Sutte Hakkun, the title Hakkun came from.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

If Hakkun was an Assist Trophy, then he would suck up an opponent's body, and shoot him/her/it out.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was thinking of making this thead but I didn't, I'm glad someone did though, I was searching the internet one day when I saw him and I instantly thought "he should be in brawl someway"

He looks like an interesting....thingamabob (what is he exactly? a bird?) he's cute too which helps a little.

I just watched the video of him and he looks like he has a lot of potential, I've certainly never seen anything like him......the closest thing to him would probably be kirby....

I'll try to think of a moveset for him, I havn't played the game though........I'm finished but for some reason edit won't allow me to put it in. So I'll have to wait for someone else to post so I'm not double posting.

Top Bottom