• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Mii!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
No Miis in Brawl.

Smash is a game for video game all-stars, and Miis are just generic creations. they would ruin the feel of a Smash game.
Wrong, sir. Since Miis have starred in such hits as Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware, and Brain Age Academy they fit the criteria of an All-star Nintendo mascot.

Sure Miis are generic - but so are the Pokemon (with the exception of Mewtwo) so I fail to see the problem.

Including Mii as a playable character with a moveset inspired by Wii Sports and Wii Play and then letting players change their appearance via the Mii channel is a superb idea that would enhance the Smash Bros experience - not ruin it.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Well it is better than seeing your Mii waste away in the Mii Plaza. Imagine your Hitler Mii in there. If Brawl consist of any Minigames maybe then.

Frigid_Aztec

Smash Apprentice
Wrong, sir. Since Miis have starred in such hits as Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware, and Brain Age Academy they fit the criteria of an All-star Nintendo mascot.

Sure Miis are generic - but so are the Pokemon (with the exception of Mewtwo) so I fail to see the problem.

Including Mii as a playable character with a moveset inspired by Wii Sports and Wii Play and then letting players change their appearance via the Mii channel is a superb idea that would enhance the Smash Bros experience - not ruin it.
The Pokemon from the previous Smash games got in because of thier popularity in the anime series, in the anime they are different (although your gith that in the games they are gneric).

And a Mii still isn't a Nintendo character, since your screate it yourself. I think that a Mii in Brawl would only take the place of a more deserving character.

All of this is my opinion of course (except the Pokemon part). Just giving my view on the whole thing.

And of course Wii Sports is a hit, it comes with the Wii =)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
The Pokemon from the previous Smash games got in because of thier popularity in the anime series, in the anime they are different (although your gith that in the games they are gneric).
Fine, but last time I checked Smash Bros was a collection of videogame characters - not anime characters. At any rate, my contacts tell me that Pichu is just a generic species of Pokemon even in the anime, and Pichu was included in Melee.

And a Mii still isn't a Nintendo character, since your screate it yourself. I think that a Mii in Brawl would only take the place of a more deserving character.
How does the fact that Mii is customizable make it any less of a Nintendo character? Players choose from a set of facial features what their Mii's face will look like, but every eye and nose was created by Nintendo.

All of this is my opinion of course (except the Pokemon part). Just giving my view on the whole thing.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. This site would be pretty boring if eveyone ageed all the time.

And of course Wii Sports is a hit, it comes with the Wii =)
Well, in Japan the game is sold separately - and it's the top selling game for the system. At any rate, Nintendo is certainly treating Mii as their new mascot for the casual market. In addtion to the games I mentioned, Wii Music and Wii Fitness are coming out this fall, and I believe that EA is putting Miis in FIFA '07 on Wii.

Frigid_Aztec

Smash Apprentice
Fine, but last time I checked Smash Bros was a collection of videogame characters - not anime characters. At any rate, my contacts tell me that Pichu is just a generic species of Pokemon even in the anime, and Pichu was included in Melee.
All pokemon that are in Melee are in because of the anime. If they based it off of the game alone then Pikachu wouldn't be in any Smash game because he isn't important to his game. Same with Jiggylpuff, and Pichu. Mewtwo might be an exception because he was one of the legendary pokemon, but I'd say he was put in because of the movie.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Actually, I think the reason they were added was due to their overall popularity, which is why they were put into the anime in the first place. Smash does take some aspects from the anime, but the playable pokemon are just the favourites of Japan. Also, only Pikachu had a major role in the anime, Jigglypuff popped up now and then and Pichu barely appeared (though I think his inclusion is largely because he was an easy clone).

Stryks

Smash Hero
True some pokemon are famous cause of the anime, but u can't say pokemon are in just because of the anime, pikachu is added cause hes the mascot, and mewtwo is considered to be the strongest pokemon (but sucks in melee, the irony)...

Anyway even a guy from IGN believes its obvious to include the Miis in brawl, why? why not? u can have ur own personal character in smash, u can see jesus take on chuck norris, batman vs superman, and so on, yes they arent all stars, but the programming would be the easiest of the characters, why? cause they woukdnt work on the skin of the character, jsut the moveset, give him a bat, a bolling ball, a tennis racket, some boxing gloves, and we'll do the rest by selecting out mii...

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Like someone had said earlier, Nintendo wants to use the Mii characters as much as possible, and whether or not they use the Mii's as fighters, they will be included some way, some how (heck, even using them as a visible audience would be a good idea.)

Titles like Wii Sports, WarioWare and Wii Play can be incorporated into these characters for moves, easily. If they are taking the consumer into any consideration, they will add Mii's to the character roster for not only a sense of actual character ownership and let's face it, it would just be a blast!

chaos28

Smash Journeyman
The coolest aspect of this, is that the height/weight of the Mii's are changeable. Essentially, this means a big 6'2", 280 lbs. guy could make a Mii and it could be slow and powerful, while some 5'7" 170 lbs. guy makes a fast and weak Mii. However, this could present problems in the game, in terms of things like contact clipping, or other similiar things.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well not exactly, sakurai would know this, the solution would be no matter if theyre short or tall the will all have the hit-area, hard to explain, even if a certain attack wouldnt hit the small mii, it WOULD hit the big mii, thus we give the same hit area to all the miis, same with weight, even if the mii is skinny or fat, they will all have the same weight, thatd way people wont modify their miis so it would be more powerful in smash...

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
This is an interesting concept. Thin Mii's are relatively weak but quick, fat Mii's are slow but strong. I like that.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Having Mii in Smash is a great idea, simply becouse you have any character you want. just like that!

You can have Darth Vader vs Elvis.

Mii is a must for Brawl.

Or better yet!

Colonel Sanders vs Wendy's Gril

VS

LOL!

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
That's because everyone wears the same uniform. If they directly import your Mii from the console (or controller), it shouldn't be a problem for them to be their own height and weight. If they give you the option of being tall, short, skinny or fat, they should allow that to be seen in game, not just under special circumstances.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I'd be surprised if Miis weren't in Brawl. If you ask me, it's a natural fit, and Nintendo obviously wants Miis the be everywhere.

If Miis aren't in Brawl as playable characters, I wouldn't mind "Multi-Mii Melee" or "Fighting Mii Team."

EDIT: Customizable stats are a bad thing.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly sure that Mii's have the same dimensions in all of the Wii Sports. I know they do in tennis and in baseball, and I'm almost positive they are in the the others. They've only got their dimensions in the Wii Channel, though I've not seen Wii Play yet. Point is, I think this'll be the trend if they get into Brawl. I'm seeing a floaty, quick-ish, low-powered character with subpar abilities, but with a fun factor through the roof.

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't stand seeing a mii win a match against a real character who deserves to be in Brawl. Seeing a fad like a mii in the game would be funny, but all in all its a waste of a character slot.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I couldn't stand seeing a mii win a match against a real character who deserves to be in Brawl.
I don't know how to break this to you, but you know the videogame characters in Smash Bros? None of them are "real". They are, in fact, all fictional characters created by Nintendo (and in the case of Snake, Konami). Thus, Miis are no more or less "real" than Mario or Solid Snake.

Seeing a fad like a mii in the game would be funny, but all in all its a waste of a character slot.
You think Miis are a fad? Meaning what, that eventually Nintendo will stop putting them in games, and they will cease to be relevant?

Maybe, but there are now signs of this at the moment. This year, Miis will appear in as many games as Mario (Wario Ware, Wii Play, Big Brain Academy, FIFA 2007, Wii Music and Wii Fitness - which isn't even counting Wii channels like Every Votes). In fact, judging by the fact that the Mii channel came with the Wii, my guess is that Miis will continue appearing in games as long as games are made for the Wii.

Thus, as Nintendo's newest mascot, Miis are very much worthy of appeaing in Brawl. Far from being a waisted character slot, Mii would be a fun and unique addition to the game.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
Yeah, Mii in brawl, should have customizable features and moves. If mii's are in brawl

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sorry gotta say no, if Miis have costumizable features, like weight and moveset, people would just look for the most broken moveset, and give them a certain height and weight to improve the character...

By giving all the miis the same weight and sice (like in wii baseball) and the same moveset, it would be balanced and u will be able to choose ur own mii without worriying about facing a more broken mii...

Anyway if anything Mii would be THE most easiest programmable mii, byt just adding weight, moveset, hitboxes etc. u would have the Mii done, cause they dont have to work on the look of the mii, the graphics, skin and stuff like that, cause its already made in the mii channel, also The Mii wont replace anybody, its too easy to program that it wont take any spot cause they work on the mii...

also note that nintendo is telling 3rd parties and 1st party developers to integrate the miis more in the games, like fifa 08, and with miyamoto loving the miis and all, im sure sooner or later he'll tell sakurai about the miis and that he should integrate them...

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how to break this to you, but you know the videogame characters in Smash Bros? None of them are "real". They are, in fact, all fictional characters created by Nintendo (and in the case of Snake, Konami). Thus, Miis are no more or less "real" than Mario or Solid Snake.

Wow, you can't tell me you really thought i actually meant a "real" character in terms of reality and fiction. Here let me break this down to ya. I meant "real" in the sense that the character had depth to it, and the creators of the character put time and effort in its development. Characters like Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox are exapmles of good character development.

As for Miis being a fad... they are. A fad isn't if they are in production to be in games its if the population of nintendo players still find them interesting and entertaining. I can't see a Mii being popular or thought of as cool five years from now. But the next five years people will still love characters like Capt. Falcon, Link, Samus. Kirby,etc.

Miis are generic have nothing to them, unless ur really into the nostalgic feeling of thinking that Mii represents you."WOW! COOL! "

Here I have a new idea for Brawl. This laughing face>>>>> :laugh:
Its just as well thought out as the Mii. "I like how it laughs, just like me and how i like laughing. wow! cool!"

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Reno, Miis represent Nintendo's new marketing strategy. I think that warrants an inclusion in Brawl, whether it be as a playable character (awesome) or as the next iteration of the "Fighting ____ Team!" (not as awesome, but cool nonetheless).

EDIT:
Reno> said:
Wow, you can't tell me you really thought i actually meant a "real" character in terms of reality and fiction. Here let me break this down to ya. I meant "real" in the sense that the character had depth to it, and the creators of the character put time and effort in its development. Characters like Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox are exapmles of good character development.
This makes perfect sense because Ice Climbers and Game & Watch are well developed and deep. Roy was in Melee and he wasn't developed at all! Heck, he hadn't even appeared in a game yet.

EDIT2: The laughing face "joke" shows your ignorance of Miis. They truly represent the "new, casual Nintendo." The laughing face represents nothing about Nintendo.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Wow either ur not really smart or are in denial:

Mii, like the guys in IGN said:

(BTW I do know how to quote :p)
IGN said:
Most critical of these is Mii character integration - it's just too perfect not to happen. Your character will probably be selectable, along with some generic physical-attack moves. Count on that one.
As u can see even a guy that works raiting videogames agrees that Mii is a shoe in: Easy to programm, no need to work on skins, and U can place absolutely ANYONE in smash...

Ronald mcdonal vs the king
Zidane vs Bonk
Batman vs superman
Chuck norris vs God

Point is, the miis are part of the Wii system, theyre INCREDIBLY popular rite now and are being integrated more and more into games, Miyamoto is (I believe0 the supervisor in Brawl, you would think that the guy that vreated the miis and who loves them would mention to sakuria to add them...

It's gonna happen, Miis are now part of nintendo, generic? The miis are like the mascot of the wii system, just because they didnt receive the same amount of development that other characters did does not make them less important, japan LOVES the miis, theres a reason wii sports and wii play are the best selling games, sakurai knows this, and the miis are a shoe in, theyre too easy to program that theyre practially already in brawl...

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
Reno, Miis represent Nintendo's new marketing strategy. I think that warrants an inclusion in Brawl, whether it be as a playable character (awesome) or as the next iteration of the "Fighting ____ Team!" (not as awesome, but cool nonetheless).
So, just because its some guy's marketing stradegy in Japan you feel that merits worth to make the cut for Brawl? I guess I have high standards to think that means jack ****. I'm sorry, I never found marketing cool. I just don't want to see them fill a slot that could be of better use.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Since when are there finite "character slots." Sakurai hasn't already decided "okay, we're going to have [insert number here] characters. Any more and the selection screen won't be able to be symmetrical." Miis represent more than a marketing strategy; they represent Nintendo's new state of mind. That's bigger than any game series!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I couldn't stand seeing a mii win a match against a real character who deserves to be in Brawl. Seeing a fad like a mii in the game would be funny, but all in all its a waste of a character slot.
...Maybe it won't be a character slot!

Maybe, when you register a name, like how you can register a name in Melee, you also register your Mii! How's that?

killbeast301

Smash Lord
...Maybe it won't be a character slot!

Maybe, when you register a name, like how you can register a name in Melee, you also register your Mii! How's that?
but then you can't fight as your mii, that's the point of this thread

Reno, How are mii's generic? They're a character of customizable appearance that is stored on your console and sometimes your wiimote if you want and can be integrated into any Wii game that supports this function. I do not recall this ever happening before. If you can supply evedince of this being done multiple times in the past, I will accept that they are not unique. If anything link is generic. A man who stands up to a power greater than him because that power is evil and wins because he has courage. Do you realise how many times that has been done before? Granted a lot of those times were after the first Legend of Zelda, but nintendo is still playing the same story.

You really think that The depelopers didn't work to create all those eyes, noses, mouths, eyebrows, moustaches, and beards? then create the function that allows us to make them and save their data on the mii channel? What makes Link Samus Kirby and Fox so hard to create?

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
If anything, if Brawl has different types of modes sorta like mario party 8 where you can use your mii then i think it would be okay. as a character by itself no. but I highly think they should be featured in brawl in some way. other than being the avatar for online mode. even if they formed their own team and took the place of the wire frames i'd actually be fine with that. You cant deny that the miis are an important part of the wii. but for them to have their own character slot I dont see it. if it happened i wouldnt really mind but i'd much rather prefer seeing them in some type of minigame or something considering Brawl might have them.

I for one would rather see Daisy,Birdo, or even waluigi get a spot instead of the mii. but that's just me lol.

Croco

Smash Lord
Miis are us.. "The Players" and without us, there wouldn't be video games, the characters and their stories, and Smash Brothers.

So adding a "Mii" into Smash Brothers as a playable avatar of us is way for us to get closer to the characters we grew up playing as or just started to play as. We can fight against or fight alongside the characters we either love or hate.. What is wrong with that? NOTHING IS.

We are Mario, Link, Samus, Yoshi.. etc. because we played and experienced their stories and worlds. We had control of them.. we are the characters from these games.

What is there to try and stop us? There always has to be some almighty power hanging over in a game's storyline.
Master Hand.. the creator of and the "Master" of the world of Smash Brothers is.. and we are the only ones that can stop it.
Fighting against Master Hand as yourself through a "Mii" is even a more powerful way of saying "I have defeated a higher power just like Mario, Link, and Samus did.. I'm part of this game and it's story."

Customizing the Mii even pushes the idea of getting closer personally to the storyline further.. If they allow players to choose their own specials, attacks, speed, sounds, and jumps etc.. then it makes the experience even more personal and enjoyable.

Either way.. Smash Brothers would increase sales just because Miis where in the game as playable.. maybe if they where even in a event called "100 Miilee" and where unplayable.. it would still increase sales. That is because Miis are becoming more and more popular.. and most people would love to be in a video game and be apart of it's story.

The real reason I bought Mortal Kombat: Armageddon was because of it's really cool "kombatant kreation" feature. I was able to make a virtual avatar of myself and my friends and family and then beat the **** out each other in the form of Mortal Kombat.
Some people might just buy Super Smash Brothers Brawl if it has something like that also.

MetalMetaKnight

Smash Journeyman
Miis are us.. "The Players" and without us, there wouldn't be video games, the characters and their stories, and Smash Brothers.

So adding a "Mii" into Smash Brothers as a playable avatar of us is way for us to get closer to the characters we grew up playing as or just started to play as. We can fight against or fight alongside the characters we either love or hate.. What is wrong with that? NOTHING IS.

We are Mario, Link, Samus, Yoshi.. etc. because we played and experienced their stories and worlds. We had control of them.. we are the characters from these games.

What is there to try and stop us? There always has to be some almighty power hanging over in a game's storyline.
Master Hand.. the creator of and the "Master" of the world of Smash Brothers is.. and we are the only ones that can stop it.
Fighting against Master Hand as yourself through a "Mii" is even a more powerful way of saying "I have defeated a higher power just like Mario, Link, and Samus did.. I'm part of this game and it's story."

Customizing the Mii even pushes the idea of getting closer personally to the storyline further.. If they allow players to choose their own specials, attacks, speed, sounds, and jumps etc.. then it makes the experience even more personal and enjoyable.

Either way.. Smash Brothers would increase sales just because Miis where in the game as playable.. maybe if they where even in a event called "100 Miilee" and where unplayable.. it would still increase sales. That is because Miis are becoming more and more popular.. and most people would love to be in a video game and be apart of it's story.

The real reason I bought Mortal Kombat: Armageddon was because of it's really cool "kombatant kreation" feature. I was able to make a virtual avatar of myself and my friends and family and then beat the **** out each other in the form of Mortal Kombat.
Some people might just buy Super Smash Brothers Brawl if it has something like that also.
Thats the best speech ever :cry:

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace

That's the worst speech ever! :mad:

No j/k. mii's are in my top ten most wanted list for brawl!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

Well said sir.

Though I'm a little worried that fully customizable characters might break the game.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
I made my own moveset!
I'm not posting A moves because those are kind of boring to read, but they would all be based around Wii Boxing for sure.

STATS:
Strength: -
Weight: -
Speed: -
Jump: -
Range: -

Description: Since Miis in SSBB would be completely created by you in the Mii Channel, All of their stats would be customizable. I imagine that in the character select screen you could choose between any of the Mii's you created, and they would all have different characteristics depending on thier height and weight. For example, a skinny and tall Mii would excell in Speed, Jump, and Range while a fatter and shorter Mii could excell in Weight and Strength.

SPECIAL MOVES:
B- Mii Baseball Pitch: Your Mii throws a baseball at the opponent, much like in Wii Sports. The type of pitch varies for each time pressed, and more than one ball can be in the air at once. The type of pitch will either make the ball do more dammage, be faster, be impossible to sidestep, stuff like that.

B>- Mii Tennis Serve: Your Mii takes out a tennis racket and serves a tennis ball forward at
a foe, much like in Wii Sports. This is like "Mii Baseball Pitch", but stronger and faster. The catch is that only one can be served at a time, and you have to wait a couple of seconds after serving to do it again.

B^- Mii Channel Hand: The hand from the Mii Channel grabs your Mii and throws him/ her into the air, then leaves.. While being launched, your Mii hurts anyone it hits, and when the hand flies off the screen, who ever comes in contact with it gets hurt. The hand flies off in a random direction though. Used as a recovery move.

Bv- Mii Bowl: Your Mii rolls a bowling ball on the stage much like in Wii Sports. This move can be charged, but not stored.

Final Smash- Mii Parade: Your Mii points forward in a "charge" motion and a flurry of Mii's from your Mii Channel come onto the screen to attack. The Mii's fill the entire screen and continously hurt your enemies, but no enemies can be KO'd while the parade is going on and it does less dammage than Mario Finale, which is a similar move but doesn't fill the whole screen (I'm pretty sure).

Some Details About Mii:

Stage- Mii Plaza: What other stage could represent the Miis more than the Mii Plaza! At first glance, this is just a flat, white, stage where you can only be KO'd at the sides and top of the screen, but the hazards make it truly interesting. Every once in a while, the Mii Channel hand will come and take one of the players away for three seconds. When the player returns, it will be slightly edited (different costume, silly things like different eyes and mouths). This will represent the idea of editing characters. Also, a Mii Parade will come every once and a while at the bottom of the screen (not like the Final Smash) that will hurt players.

Alternate Costumes:
NONE! Since Mii's will be customized yourself, there will be no Alternate Costumes. I Imagine there would be some default Mii's though.

Kirby Hat:
Mii's Kirby Hat will just be the Mii's face in place for Kirby's head. That would be a freaky sight actually...

Well, that's my small moveset for Mii and some details like the stage. I hope you enjoyed! Also, this is my first post, so be nice please lol.

Top Bottom