• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Young Link?

Hyro

Smash Lord
You did Roy...you might as well.

I just want my arrows and dair to light em on fire <333

And there's some cool YL textures!

^look at that shield and sword!

^look at that hookshot!

^ look at that bow and arrow!

^look at that boomerang and shield!

^look at that shield!

plzokthnx

If nothing else, at least wait until Roy is done before posting threads asking for new characters. D:

Adding characters isn't exactly a cut and dried process.

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
Pretty cool. The MM Mirror shield is still hideous, no matter what you do with it ^^.

The belt buckles seem out of place though, the bottom one's fine but the others might look better different colours.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Oh, these are all made by Register or S from Stack Smash. Toon Link's belt buckle can't be removed, but I agree that he should color them gold or something.

Dude, the mirror shield all the way on the bottom is amazing. I haven't seen a better shield yet! It's so creepy and familiar. I love that game.

And yeah...I don't wanna wait. :( I wanna fire spike ppl ;D

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Wow, makes me wanna create a thread titled "New Character:*insertrandomtexturehackhere*"

At least Roy was based off of a codeset, this is just..a texture hack.

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
Wow, makes me wanna create a thread titled "New Character:*insertrandomtexturehackhere*"

At least Roy was based off of a codeset, this is just..a texture hack.
*facepalm*

He is clearly asking for people to make YL out of TL like they did with Roy from Marth. Granted, it's a dumb thread (so was Roy's...) but if you didn't understand that... >_>

Almas

Smash Lord
Roy is not so bad because when I eventually get around to finishing off my work on the Clone Engine (it's actually more or less done, but requires the debugging of ~6 new codes, and I'm going through exams right now), he can be integrated.

This seems rather arbitrary, but feel free to talk about the differences you would have between the two characters.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Hyro- ur my hero XD. Those textures are pure awesome. I liked the white YL a lot. Since my main in melee was white YL. D: I too cant wait to fire spike ppl ;D.

:034:

Smash Hero
Roy is not so bad because when I eventually get around to finishing off my work on the Clone Engine (it's actually more or less done, but requires the debugging of ~6 new codes, and I'm going through exams right now), he can be integrated.

This seems rather arbitrary, but feel free to talk about the differences you would have between the two characters.
I'm interested in this "Clone Engine". I assume the likes of Doc, Pichu and Mewtwo would also return to Brawl? Then, what of completely new clones? Krystal (Falco or Fox base), Ridley (Charizard base) and Isaac (Ike base) could all be implemented?

Cuz' that'd be AWESOME!

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
I'd doubt people would go crazy and bring in every character possible.

Also, as for mewtwo, he'd need an entirely new moveset. We'd basically be creating him from scratch, which would take at least a year.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I think we should get a code for character character proportions. Young Link would work better as a shorter, slightly skinnier version of Adult Link, as compared to Toon Link, I believe.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord

You are a GOD!

Take your time :)

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Mewtwo wouldn't take a year and they wouldn't make him from scratch.

Doc would just look weird with FLUDD.

can u shrink chars? If so pichu would be doable.

Ridley from charizard is doable.

Why would they even base krystal off of fox/falco? Krystal has a staff and magic.

But anyway Almas you are the ****!

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Doc would just look weird with FLUDD.
Make it white with a purple cross. Much like a "med pack" and make it should purple water instead of blue and call it medicine. Then make it put a small flower on peoples heads that do up to 20 damage if fully charged.

Crazy, yes. Doable? Not sure.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Who'd they base M2 off of? Lucario? Their only similarity is aura sphere/shadow ball. Other than that, thier moves are different.

Even if we do base M2 off of Lucario, we'd need a model replacement code of some sort. Someone told me that stacksmash was working on a mewtwo model.

@cam: Are we also going to give Doc a bonesaw and a german accent?

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Count kaiser- Yes. A bonesaw would be awesome. I can picture Mario going around sawing people.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I can't picture Young Link doing Toon Links Nair and Bair
It would just ruin it for me. Roy seems like the only clone that should be made, imo.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I can't picture Young Link doing Toon Links Nair and Bair
It would just ruin it for me. Roy seems like the only clone that should be made, imo.
I think we should get a code for character character proportions. Young Link would work better as a shorter, slightly skinnier version of Adult Link, as compared to Toon Link, I believe.
Using Toon Link wasn't the only suggestion, you know. Mine just seems to have gotten ignored. :urg:

•Col•

Smash Champion
Do we really need 3 Links...? @__@ Eh... Young Link certainly isn't on the top of my list of characters to add to Brawl+...

But really, people need to learn to accept that Toon Link IS Young Link....

Rudra

Smash Ace
So, if he were to be made a clone, what would be the differences between him and TLink?

bleyva

Smash Ace
wow, people are really getting into this whole clone thing.....but i feel like roy is really the only character from melee deserving of such a return, as he was really the only character who didnt have a TRUE successor. young link just doesnt seem necessary imo (and as someone already mentioned, lol 3 links).

come to think of it, ive never really understood the idea of having more than one playable link. and as i recall, toon zelda was seriously considered as a potential character in brawls development....are LoZ characters really important enough to have multiple incarnations?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
wow, people are really getting into this whole clone thing.....but i feel like roy is really the only character from melee deserving of such a return, as he was really the only character who didnt have a TRUE successor. young link just doesnt seem necessary imo (and as someone already mentioned, lol 3 links).

come to think of it, ive never really understood the idea of having more than one playable link. and as i recall, toon zelda was seriously considered as a potential character in brawls development....are LoZ characters really important enough to have multiple incarnations?
Coonsidering the current LoZ franchise has been split into the adult Link, and the more colorful, lighthearted Toon Link, there are already two Links that represent his own series (mind you there are several incarnations of Links, with only the Wind Waker extensions being related, no idea on FSA or Minish Cap).

So naturally with such a split in the recent LoZ franchise, it would make sense to include both an adult, and cartoonish Link.

And since the cel-shaded Link also happens to be a child, he also represents the various older games where Link was not quite an adult either, along with his OoT younger-self, and MM. Plus you know, Link is the protagonist. Add all that together and TL being in Smash isn't really an odd concept at all.

As for clones in general...I don't mind, I've written a SWF blog about it...but really...what would Young Link possibly offer? I really feel like he has little to offer. Really making the current Link smaller would get you very close to a true YL.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Technically, Toon Link and Toon Zelda are different people altogether from Link and Zelda, 100 years removed iirc (at least from their OoT counterparts. I'm not sure where TP Link/Zelda fit into this timeline. I hate the Zelda continuity -_-). Young Link is a true, differing incarnation of Link (OoT again, maybe not TP?), as he's just a younger version of adult Link.

I still get what you're trying to say. 3 Link characters is just too much, but I just feel like being a pedantic ******* from time to time :p.

Also less talk about Krystal/Ridley, more talk about Shadow plz ;).

Hyro

Smash Lord
Yeah. Zelda games deserve that.

And the only reason I want Young Link is because...well...I'm not really an avid brawl+ player, but when Roy was added it was pretty fresh so I tried it.

And it's not like we're adding characters...?

You replaced Marth with Roy, just replace Young Link for Toon Link.

I wonder if there'd be anyway to make his arrows like D3's army? There should be a big chance that Toon Link will shot normal arrows like D3's waddle dee's. Then there should be a medium chance of him shooting fire arrows like D3's waddle doo's. Then there's should be a small chance of shooting ice arrows like D3's gordo.

Possible?

And I know this is not possible...but I wish Toon Link had Snake's up B...but with his deku leaf from WW. :(

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Yeah. Zelda games deserve that.

And the only reason I want Young Link is because...well...I'm not really an avid brawl+ player, but when Roy was added it was pretty fresh so I tried it.

And it's not like we're adding characters...?

You replaced Marth with Roy, just replace Young Link for Toon Link.

I wonder if there'd be anyway to make his arrows like D3's army? There should be a big chance that Toon Link will shot normal arrows like D3's waddle dee's. Then there should be a medium chance of him shooting fire arrows like D3's waddle doo's. Then there's should be a small chance of shooting ice arrows like D3's gordo.

Possible?

And I know this is not possible...but I wish Toon Link had Snake's up B...but with his deku leaf from WW. :(
Roy is being worked on to NOT replace Marth IIRC.

I'm in agreement that a true Young Link would have to be made from a shrunken Link. Toon Link while symbolizi ng Young Link, just doesn't play like him despite fitting the same category (Faster, smaller, weaker, and lighter Link).

Think it's possibls to change the element ofthe arrows, but not randomize it.

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
Wait... is there not a "Hatless Mario" code floating around the webs? I'd take the hair over the doctor headgear any day.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
Wait... is there not a "Hatless Mario" code floating around the webs? I'd take the hair over the doctor headgear any day.
There is, but it's probably buggy since texture hackers haven't used it yet (I don't see another reason why to not use it, except having to tell people to use it).

Top Bottom