• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Zelda.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Not nessesarily, We do not know exactly what Zelda's moves are, do not count the chickens before they hatch, as they say. We need definite proof before this can truely be decided. We know Zelda is in, but they did not annouce both at the same time, as was done in SSBM.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm just going to say that PrinnyFlute is my hero.

Also, Link in TP is a calm man, yet passionate when he needs to be, serious most of the time... he's the kinda guy who sits on a tree stump in a beautiful meadow watching the sky, until his courage is needed.
WW Link is spunky, bouncy, lively and possesses enough common sense to place the well-being of his sister above the fate of the rest of the world.

So he does have some kind of personality as well.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to say that PrinnyFlute is my hero.
Well, I guess that's what happens when you save orphanages just by flexing your awesome guns like I do. :laugh:
Also, Link in TP is a calm man, yet passionate when he needs to be, serious most of the time... he's the kinda guy who sits on a tree stump in a beautiful meadow watching the sky, until his courage is needed.
WW Link is spunky, bouncy, lively and possesses enough common sense to place the well-being of his sister above the fate of the rest of the world.

So he does have some kind of personality as well.
I was thinking this, actually. The difference isn't as pronounced, but Link does tend to change to match his setting it seems. You could say even though he's a walking hero generalization, he tends to represent a different kind of hero for a different kind of world in every game. His solid determination and his go-to-guy attitude remains ever-present, though. ;) ...Which is I guess why he has the triforce of courage, huh?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Here's something to chew on: what if, when you press down B, Zelda dons her cloak and changes up her attack "strategy" by using Shiek's moves? Zelda's face and hands would still be visible at times, so it'd be fairly sure that it was Zelda in there, under all those robes. For reference:

It's look pretty cool, I think, with her robe flowing accross the battlefield.

Raithe The Dreamer

Smash Rookie
Here's something to chew on: what if, when you press down B, Zelda dons her cloak and changes up her attack "strategy" by using Shiek's moves? Zelda's face and hands would still be visible at times, so it'd be fairly sure that it was Zelda in there, under all those robes. For reference:

It's look pretty cool, I think, with her robe flowing accross the battlefield.
I've wondered if that's what's gonna happen, myself. That robe, if I remember right, has the Sheikah symbol on the back of it, too. It would definitely look pretty cool if they went that route.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I hope she gets some Light Arrows (maybe final smash ;)) but by the looks of it she and most everyone else that was in melee have the same B moves for Brawl. The 15 second video showed her doing Den's Fire (over+B) and all the other characters seem to have the same moves other then the new final smashes. So I bet Zelda will keep down+B for Shiek. Good stuff.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Darth Zelda.. err... Zelda with robes has been talked about. It would certainly look pretty darn cool, but on the other hand, why would donning a robe, which would probably actually hinder her movements, spontaneously turn her into a superawesome ninja? The girl barely gets outside. Sure, the robe has the Sheikah symbol, but...
"Wait a minute, please, I have to don my gothic outfit! Ninja skillz just don't match with this dress, y'know?"

I don't really CARE.
It would be strange but kinda cool if donning the robe would let her gain some sort of difference in her stats, like, reduce her speed but give her some invincibility hitboxes here and there because it makes blunt hits miss or.. something like that.
I'm just saying that it would make no sense at all.

I know you want to tell me now that Smash makes no sense in the first place. I'll sigh and scratch my head without bothering to reply.

Raithe The Dreamer

Smash Rookie
You're right--it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but really, Zelda's Sheik transformation turning her into a ninja didn't make a lot of sense either. Even confined by her dress, you'd think she'd be able to retain *some* of her speed/agility when she goes back to her true form from Sheik.

The more we see of Zelda's moves, the more I'm beginning to think Sheik will remain as her Down-B; however, Zamus' transformation method has me worried at the same time, as it may indicate that Sakurai came to the conclusion that an at-will transformation is too strong.

Here's to hoping on a post with Zelda's moves soon.

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
You're right--it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but really, Zelda's Sheik transformation turning her into a ninja didn't make a lot of sense either.
What really didn't make sense was her growing a package when she transformed into Sheik. =/

Anyways. I think she looks great. I love the TP design, it's been a while since I've actually stepped back and said, "Wow... Zelda's hot."

I really hope her Sheik trasformation doesn't return. Whether or not Sheik is actually in the game doesn't matter one bit to me, but I really hope that if s/he is that it's an entirely seperate characters. Zelda really caught a bad rap in the last game because of her transformation. I think she may have been the single most underrepresented character aside from Pichu and Mewtwo. I know she wasn't exactly top tier, but I think the transformation did discourage a lot of people from using her.

I mean, look... it's already happening now. Her thread is getting derailed and she's already being overshadowed by the question of whether or not her transformation into Sheik is back. That's all most people seem to care about.

Vali

Smash Ace
Where would she get the robe from anyway? She's no Guybrush Threepwood (protagonist of Monkey Island series who stored all the items he carried in his relatively small trouser pockets to those who do not know).

Lord Kirby

Smash Journeyman
her moves are still unknown. the only hints are the game. think. what does she do in twilight princess that can be done in brawl? ...*gasp*

Raithe The Dreamer

Smash Rookie
Where would she get the robe from anyway? She's no Guybrush Threepwood (protagonist of Monkey Island series who stored all the items he carried in his relatively small trouser pockets to those who do not know).
Probably the same place she got the ninja get up when she turned into Sheik, I guess. "A wizard did it!" works pretty well here.

I'd still prefer that they just kept Sheik anyway, though.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Probably the same place she got the ninja get up when she turned into Sheik, I guess. "A wizard did it!" works pretty well here.

I'd still prefer that they just kept Sheik anyway, though.
Zelda from TP =/= Zelda from OoT

Zelda from TP= Hundreds of years after Zelda from Oot

Zelda from OoT has shiekah training
Zelda from TP does not

Thus zelda transforming into her alter ego from the past, withouht the sheikah training AINT gonna happen, it COULD happen, but it wouldnt make sense...

Raithe The Dreamer

Smash Rookie
Zelda from TP =/= Zelda from OoT

Zelda from TP= Hundreds of years after Zelda from Oot

Zelda from OoT has shiekah training
Zelda from TP does not

Thus zelda transforming into her alter ego from the past, withouht the sheikah training AINT gonna happen, it COULD happen, but it wouldnt make sense...
I'm an avid Zelda fan, and I greatly enjoy the storyline and continuity of the series. I know very well all the timeline discrepancies that would result in the Zelda of TP turning into Sheik. However, ultimately, I'm not concerned with them. Considering that the "storyline" of the Smash Bros. games thus far has centered around what are seemingly toys being controlled by the Master Hand, I don't really have a problem with the Zelda in SSBB turning into Sheik, if only because I don't view it as strictly necessary that Sakurai adhere to the canon of the LotZ series.

My position would change accordingly if we knew that Sakurai was asked to adhere to the Zelda continuity, but as of right now, we don't know that. As a player that picked up Sheik at the release of Melee, out of love for the character, without knowing she'd be one of the top tier characters, I'd very much like to see Sheik remain.

I don't really care if they nerf Sheik--she's well deserving of it. I'd honestly be very happy if they brought her in line with other characters, so that the people I play didn't get to have an automatic john when I beat them.

I may be in the minority in that; I don't know. From what I've read around here, everyone seems to assume that the only reason people play Sheik so much is because she's easy to play, and that makes her almost universally despised by non-Sheik players. They could tone that down a bit, too--I'd actually welcome it. Her character, for its simplicity, is somewhat one-dimensional, even with Zelda incorporated as her Down-B (in the end, you typically end up striving for F-Airs/B-Airs on both).

Bringing Zelda up to par a bit and bringing Sheik down a notch or two would be a great thing, in my eyes.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
I agree with stryks. they are different zelda reincarnations, who knows, maybe TP zelda does know some kick but sheika martial arts. We only saw her use healing magic and light arrows. (woah she was a white mage in TP)

As for the robe, I would think it to be an alt costume (hopefully not weighing her down).

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I agree. Given that Zelda is a wizard, the old "A wizard did it" is not only not an excuse in such a case, but entirely reasonable :laugh:. Besides, if another earlier princess had enough skillz to transform into a lightspeed-fast male ninja at will, I think assuming TP Zelda could materialize a simple black dress would not be tht farfetched ;). I don't really see the point on doing so, but she could.

And, to voice my opinion on the Sheik matter, I'd rather Sheik wasn't a part of Zelda this time around. I liked playing as him sometimes, true, because I liked his ninja-esque style, being fast and comboing easily. But I agree with Stryks's argument: I personally would prefer if TP Zelda didn't whip out the Sheik getup, as it would feel... I dunno, out of place maybe.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Brunnete Sheik for Brawl!!! I do hope they do some major nerfing though. Before Melee came out, I LOVED the idea of playing back and forth with Zelda and Sheik, but everyone and their mom then played as Sheik and... you know the rest.

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
in OOT, all Zelda did was transform into sheik and open seals.
she stole her moveset from OOT Link.
Wait, what? SSBM Link is OoT Link. And he fights absolutely nothing like Sheik.

It was a cool (or terrible, depending on your point of view) gimick for Zelda's in SSBM, but I think it's time we put that behind us and move on. At the time of SSBM, OoT was the most recent Zelda title. Or maybe there was a Gameboy one in between there, I don't know, but it was at least the most recognizable. (And don't correct me about Majora's Mask. The game sucked and didn't achieve nearly as much popularity as OoT. Plus, it's more like an expansion for OoT.)

TP is the new and current face of the LoZ series, hence why we have TP Link and TP Zelda. Sheik may still have a place in the game, but I don't think it's as a transformation for Zelda anymore.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I honestly don't even want to see Sheik return at all, despite being a Sheik player.
Sheik was just a disguise used for one LoZ game, and that half is broken while Zelda herself in gimped in Melee? This was one of the worst design flaws that was ever to grace the game. Sheik was only popular in Melee because she was broken. Zelda found fans through sheer force of will. Partly because she's just a bad character, but mostly because of her Sheik counterpart being that much better.

If they cut Sheik entirely, made Zelda as powerful as she was supposed to be, and left the ninja-esque role to another character, I wouldn't have a second thought about it. And no, I still utterly abhor the thought of the TP Zelda having a transformation into Sheik, who isn't even relevant.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I honestly don't even want to see Sheik return at all, despite being a Sheik player.
Sheik was just a disguise used for one LoZ game, and that half is broken while Zelda herself in gimped in Melee? This was one of the worst design flaws that was ever to grace the game. Sheik was only popular in Melee because she was broken. Zelda found fans through sheer force of will. Partly because she's just a bad character, but mostly because of her Sheik counterpart being that much better.

If they cut Sheik entirely, made Zelda as powerful as she was supposed to be, and left the ninja-esque role to another character, I wouldn't have a second thought about it. And no, I still utterly abhor the thought of the TP Zelda having a transformation into Sheik, who isn't even relevant.
*Deep breath* Wow.. that completely changed my mind about Sheik.. I don't care about her any more.. If Zelda whoops some then I will continue using her happily without Sheik. Sheik was kind of my trump card when I would start losing with Zelda.. *Sigh*

Gindor

Smash Ace
OMG! It looks like theres a story in this ssb (look at the update)! It looks like meta knight is breaking the rules and is calling some demon/the hands to wreak havoc on the perpatrators and blingly wreak havoc on the world by doing so!
With there almost being somewhat of a plot, sheik has less chance of getting in in my opinion. I don't really care now if he gets in anyway.

Edit-the other villains are also probably leading this assault on the rules, which confuses me, and I just noticed, this is in the game mode selection section.
Oooh, maybe you'll get to choose between good and evil!

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Zelda having a down B transformation to be, since she's using Din's Fire, Naru's Love, and Farrora's Wind (I probably butchered all of those spellings), is looking a lot more plausible. Also, the rest of her moveset seems to be identical.

... Well... At least she looks like TP Zelda... Sort of.

Sytar

Smash Ace
Everyone is going to feel horribly ******** when they realize that down+b doesn't transform to Sheik and that it pulls out Zelda's rapier. Oh man. I read through a bunch of this thread and I didn't see a SINGLE person suggest that down+b might pull out her rapier. All this Shiek nonsense and nobody can spot out the obvious.

Zone

Smash Champion
Everyone is going to feel horribly ******** when they realize that down+b doesn't transform to Sheik and that it pulls out Zelda's rapier. Oh man. I read through a bunch of this thread and I didn't see a SINGLE person suggest that down+b might pull out her rapier. All this Shiek nonsense and nobody can spot out the obvious.
How is Zelda pulling out her Rapier "Obvious?" There hasn't been no hint of that, Down+B right now, anything can go. (I sincerely doubt shiek though, but that's an opinion).

IMO nothing is obvious about what Zelda's Down+B is going to be, hence the loads of speculation.

Sytar

Smash Ace
How is Zelda pulling out her Rapier "Obvious?" There hasn't been no hint of that, Down+B right now, anything can go. (I sincerely doubt shiek though, but that's an opinion).

IMO nothing is obvious about what Zelda's Down+B is going to be, hence the loads of speculation.
Everyone instantly said, "Oh I didn't the rapier I guess it won't be there." But what was Zelda's signature from OoT? Shiek. What was Zelda's signature from Twilight Princess? The Rapier. Of course it's speculation, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than Shiek, and I can't believe nobody mentioned it up to now.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Signature? She barely used the darn thing, heck she only ever it used while
Ganondorf had possessed her
. If anything, her signature weapon in that game was the light arrows, which she also used in WW as well. I'm almost certain that if Zelda gets a new b move in place of Shiek, that it would be the light arrows that give a new attack, rather than a weapon she barely used that would have to have an entire moveset created to implement it, not to mention that there are plenty of other potential swordsmen.

Shiek's far more likely to return than to get replaced by a sword.

Zone

Smash Champion
Everyone instantly said, "Oh I didn't the rapier I guess it won't be there." But what was Zelda's signature from OoT? Shiek. What was Zelda's signature from Twilight Princess? The Rapier. Of course it's speculation, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than Shiek, and I can't believe nobody mentioned it up to now.
It's been said a few times, I think even a bit at the start of the thread. this is a huge thread though, Unless your really patient I wouldn't want to read through it.

Shiek people are just worried about her not being there, so they are developing ways that she can be in there. and people who don't want shiek there, are kinda developing and using evidence they can find to say why she isn't going to be there.

There just a big disagreement with the shiek thing which is why there is so much drama over it.

LukeFonFabre

"Shiek's far more likely to return than get replaced by a sword."
extreme speculation

Tanea

Smash Ace
i wonder what her final smash will be maybe she calls forth an army of and they shoot
i like a strom of arrows or she can use her magic and she realseas a field of energy
who knows
what do you guys think?

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
extreme speculation
Hardly. Do you really think they are going to axe Zelda's transformation for another transformation, which is practically the same character with a sword (and it's not like Smash is lacking in those already or is running out of possibilities for new ones), while Shiek is at least original. If Zelda keeps the transformation aspect of her character, I've no doubt that it'll remain Shiek as opposed to Zelda pulling out a weapon she practically never used.

I'm not saying Shiek is returning, I'm actually not convinced that her chances of returning are that good, but I extremely doubt that she'll e replaced by that unimportant rapier. I'll hardly be surprised if the rapier is a no show in brawl.

Gindor

Smash Ace
I didn't see that coming, but it might be overused like sheik was.

i wonder what her final smash will be maybe she calls forth an army of and they shoot
i like a strom of arrows or she can use her magic and she realseas a field of energy
who knows
what do you guys think?
She never really commanded an army before. My thought that I said a long way back was that she calls the sages to grant her the arrows and stun all foes, and then she fires the arow practically killing one foe, then (as an idea for the sword too) she pulls her sword out temporarily, or till the end of the match (much like marth's sword, only an item). If it was temporary, she puts it away a little after the foes aren't stunned.
I always read the first and last of a long thread, so I know how all of you feel who do it. It is like skipping a whole book in a series, you miss out on a lot, but it would take sooo long to read it.

Tanea

Smash Ace
I didn't see that coming, but it might be overused like sheik was.

She never really commanded an army before. My thought that I said a long way back was that she calls the sages to grant her the arrows and stun all foes, and then she fires the arow practically killing one foe, then (as an idea for the sword too) she pulls her sword out temporarily, or till the end of the match (much like marth's sword, only an item). If it was temporary, she puts it away a little after the foes aren't stunned.
I always read the first and last of a long thread, so I know how all of you feel who do it. It is like skipping a whole book in a series, you miss out on a lot, but it would take sooo long to read it.

i like that idea but i think that if the arrow kills on the first shot it will be unfairs because we aren't how much damage the other final smahses can do so how about they cause a lot of damage

Top Bottom