• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Isaac seems like a popular choice, so i picked his game up to get familiar with him and... well, it's pretty boring so far.

i just reached the place where you pick the 4 elemental stones and put them in a bag, so i know it's far too soon but... will the story pick up soon? gampleay sucked, so this is going to shine to hold me over.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Isaac seems like a popular choice, so i picked his game up to get familiar with him and... well, it's pretty boring so far.

i just reached the place where you pick the 4 elemental stones and put them in a bag, so i know it's far too soon but... will the story pick up soon? gampleay sucked, so this is going to shine to hold me over.
Well, first off - this isn't the place to be talking about that.

Second - you're not even far enough into the game for the battle system to have been fully shown. It is far too early for you to be judging the game. To answer your question - yes, it gets better.

S

Sharic X

Isn't that what the Plusle & Minun suggestion was supposed to be?
Yes...I agree. These two would be a much better choice rather than two Pichus. And they would also make more sense
as two Pichus would be a little awkward since they aren't a specific duo. What I mean is...Plusle and Minun would be a reasonable
duo rather than two Pichus because Pichu can stay...Pichu and not be a double character.

That's why, it would be better to have Plusle and Minun rather than the other option.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yes...I agree. These two would be a much better choice rather than two Pichus. And they would also make more sense
as two Pichus would be a little awkward since they aren't a specific duo. What I mean is...Plusle and Minun would be a reasonable
duo rather than two Pichus because Pichu can stay...Pichu and not be a double character.

That's why, it would be better to have Plusle and Minun rather than the other option.
Actually, two Pichus are a specific duo. The Pichu Bros from the anime. Just sayin'.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
+1
Isaac: Enough said
Dark Samus: I like the idea of a heavier, faster samus
Saki: Looks like fun to play
Lyn: We need diversity

+1/2
Paper Mario: he could have a very interesting moveset

Pichu: Its a baby pikachu, its won't add anything interesting to the game and do we really need more pokemon?
you can play pichu and young link in melee.
Crystal: no more star fox
Toad: He is already represented in the game as peach's neutral b

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Hey Anti Guy, you made a post recently about which kinds of movesets you approve of, and I was wondering if you could add it to the OP. Using your template we can come up with much more reasonable movesets while not being as much "mental masturbation" (I think that's what you said; the phrasing stuck with me).
Eventually, when I'm not feeling so ****ty. Bottom line is that I don't really care for movesets though, and their main use is if you have a good overall idea for the character's playstyle and unique (within reason) things you can think for them.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Eventually, when I'm not feeling so ****ty. Bottom line is that I don't really care for movesets though, and their main use is if you have a good overall idea for the character's playstyle and unique (within reason) things you can think for them.
I see. I hope you feel better, you sound like you're going through something :(

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't know what's wrong, but I hope you feel better soon, Anti Guy.

So, I was looking for PSAs to fill my BrawlEx slots with, and I came across this Isaac PSA (over Pit) that I had no idea existed. It's kind of rough around the edges (definitely not PM quality - then again, what is?), but it's really not that bad considering some of the hacks you find lying around. I figured I'd post the video of it here since it actually uses a couple of the ideas we've thrown about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXAMB1zNB-A

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice

Pichu: Its a baby pikachu, its won't add anything interesting to the game and do we really need more pokemon?
Roy is just a red haired Marth with fire. He doesn't add anything interesting to the game and we didn't really need more sword characters.

Yeah I don't buy it. You have to remember that these guys aren't Nintendo and this isn't SSB4, this is a Project M. Here are the reasons I think Pichu/Pichu Bros./Plusle Minun are good choices:

1. Pichu would be A LOT easier to make than a new character - Again, PMBR aren't Nintendo, they put Mewtwo back in but they copied basically %99 of his coding from Melee to do it, and though it took an ungodly amount of time to animate him, it was all done from exact and precise reference. For them to make a completely new, official-looking original new character and balance them properly and animate them and code and all that is a daunting task.

2. This is not SSB4, nor should it be - You are all suggesting characters who already have a high probability of being in the next, actual SSB game. It's been expressed before that P:M does not and should not be seen as competing with SSB4 or potentially confusing potential customers about SSB4. Until the entire roster for SSB4 is confirmed, its more logical for PMBR to stick to characters who have already been in the SSB series so as not to draw attention away from newcomers who may be confirmed in the more current title. Otherwise we could be met with cease and desists from Nintendo for causing confusion. In this regard, Pichu is the best (and only) choice.

3. This is Project MELEE - Everything in this mod is based on Melee, it's almost a tribute to it. Every character from Melee has been brought back in some form in Project M and given new life except Pichu. Roy and Mewtwo came back, Doc's moves were worked into Mario's, Toon Link is basically Young Link with a new coat of paint. Bringing Pichu back and bringing him up to the standard of balance the PMBR have been going for is an excellent way to round out the project. To show that even the "worst" characters can be tweaked and balanced and have their better attributes shown love and attention so more people are willing to play them - that is one of the things I loved most about this project.

That said, I think the Pichu Bros. idea is an excellent way to bring Pichu back and spruce him up so he's more than just a clone of Pikachu. And since they already have tons of Pichu reference and data at hand, its a project that probably would not take as long as someone like Isaac or Lyn or any other potential new character who might show up in SSB4 anyway.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Roy is just a red haired Marth with fire. He doesn't add anything interesting to the game
I find it hilarious that you intended this to be sarcastic, as if there aren't a lot of people like me that sincerely believe this.

One of the reasons (not one of the big ones, but one of them) I want Lyn so bad is that I don't actually consider Fire Emblem to have three reps.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Guys I have one question

is Pichu Bros. a possibility

can do they do another team character, who aren't the Icey Climbers

or would that be too much to ask

Because two Pichus would be like double the awesome.

Or maybe just one super powerful Pichu, and make him like evil or something
I'm thinking, though I could be wrong, that Pichu Bros wouldn't really leave anyone happy. The guys who don't like Pichu don't like the concept of a Pichu being a character and the Pichu supporters like him because they enjoyed playing as him in Melee. Pichu Bros would be a worst of both worlds ordeal.

S

Sharic X

I'm thinking, though I could be wrong, that Pichu Bros wouldn't really leave anyone happy. The guys who don't like Pichu don't like the concept of a Pichu being a character and the Pichu supporters like him because they enjoyed playing as him in Melee. Pichu Bros would be a worst of both worlds ordeal.
Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines too.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
1. Pichu would be A LOT easier to make than a new character - Again, PMBR aren't Nintendo, they put Mewtwo back in but they copied basically %99 of his coding from Melee to do it, and though it took an ungodly amount of time to animate him, it was all done from exact and precise reference. For them to make a completely new, official-looking original new character and balance them properly and animate them and code and all that is a daunting task.

2. This is not SSB4, nor should it be - You are all suggesting characters who already have a high probability of being in the next, actual SSB game. It's been expressed before that P:M does not and should not be seen as competing with SSB4 or potentially confusing potential customers about SSB4. Until the entire roster for SSB4 is confirmed, its more logical for PMBR to stick to characters who have already been in the SSB series so as not to draw attention away from newcomers who may be confirmed in the more current title. Otherwise we could be met with cease and desists from Nintendo for causing confusion. In this regard, Pichu is the best (and only) choice.

3. This is Project MELEE - Everything in this mod is based on Melee, it's almost a tribute to it. Every character from Melee has been brought back in some form in Project M and given new life except Pichu. Roy and Mewtwo came back, Doc's moves were worked into Mario's, Toon Link is basically Young Link with a new coat of paint. Bringing Pichu back and bringing him up to the standard of balance the PMBR have been going for is an excellent way to round out the project. To show that even the "worst" characters can be tweaked and balanced and have their better attributes shown love and attention so more people are willing to play them - that is one of the things I loved most about this project.
Gonna have to comment on a few things.

1. Acceptable

2. The PMBR already stated that to stay in nintendo's good graces that they will not attempt to backport any characters. BUT they also said that if the character makes it in before that, then they will keep them, regardless if Nintendo includes them. All of the characters listed here are not also likely to make it into Smash4 but do have the potential to be in a smash brothers game.

3. This is NOT Project Melee as much as people want to believe that it is. It's Project M, and the M does not stand for Melee, but that is the first conclusion that most people come to.

Your points are accurate though and you will be receiving a like for it.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
At least it's more posts. This thread has lacked activity for a while... :(

Maybe Solbliminal can revitalize it with his imminent Ray moveset ^_^

I don't know what's wrong, but I hope you feel better soon, Anti Guy.

So, I was looking for PSAs to fill my BrawlEx slots with, and I came across this Isaac PSA (over Pit) that I had no idea existed. It's kind of rough around the edges (definitely not PM quality - then again, what is?), but it's really not that bad considering some of the hacks you find lying around. I figured I'd post the video of it here since it actually uses a couple of the ideas we've thrown about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXAMB1zNB-A
I like some of these ideas for Isaac, actually. His sword looks like it has smaller range than other swords, though.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
At least it's more posts. This thread has lacked activity for a while... :(

Maybe Solbliminal can revitalize it with his imminent Ray moveset ^_^
I'm pretty sure Apex has taken most of the Smash community's attention. It's not just this thread, all of Smashboards is relatively quiet.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Apex has taken most of the Smash community's attention. It's not just this thread, all of Smashboards is relatively quiet.
Dat Pit dominance :awesome:

Also it was cool how Armada had a really cool attitude about the whole thing. Unlike other winners he didn't take a bad attitude about Project M and say "just play Melee".

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Wrong thread, let's not get sidetracked.
Yeah I know sorry.

But I think this thread is dead. I'm positive it's already covered every possible character we'd like to see. Now we're just sitting here in a kind of awkward silence...

EDIT: which I'm leaving for now. G'night everyone, and let's all hope a new character suggestion comes out to revitalize this thread.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm feeling we might be getting a new wave of votes in the very near future, due to Apex helping with PM awareness. But yeah, like Anti Guy said, this thread has beaten the same dead horses so many times over, it's no surprise that some people are getting tired.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
3. This is NOT Project Melee as much as people want to believe that it is. It's Project M, and the M does not stand for Melee, but that is the first conclusion that most people come to.
So, what DOES the "M" stand for?

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Gonna have to comment on a few things.

1. Acceptable

2. The PMBR already stated that to stay in nintendo's good graces that they will not attempt to backport any characters. BUT they also said that if the character makes it in before that, then they will keep them, regardless if Nintendo includes them. All of the characters listed here are not also likely to make it into Smash4 but do have the potential to be in a smash brothers game.

Your points are accurate though and you will be receiving a like for it.
1. Coo

2. okay but what does backport mean

3. I know at some point it was Project Melee. They had the name on their youtube channel I think. When did it change?

sorry I am very old and out of touch

Are you ready? It stands for..............................................................................................................................................................................

NOTHING!
but nothing starts with an N

which could mean Captain N

NEW CHARACTER CONFIRMED

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The PMBR's stated a couple of times that the 'M' doesn't actually stand for anything, and that they use 'Project Melee' for things like Facebook and Youtube because the name they wanted wasn't available.

Backport means they won't be trying to include characters that were introduced in SSB4 into Project M, due to possible legal issues with Nintendo. You can find more details on this reasoning if you read the original post of this thread.

Which, really, you ought to be doing if you want to post here.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
3. I know at some point it was Project Melee. They had the name on their youtube channel I think. When did it change?
As standardtoast said once "The M in Project M does not mean Melee and anything that would lead you to believe otherwise is because the name "Project M" was already taken."

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Actually guys I hear the M s actually an upside-down W, which of course stands for "Wow, Why are we talking about this?"

Getting back to more important Ms, has anyone here considered Midna as a possible choice? Noticed she isn't on that nice list on the first page. I imagine they'd use Ness as a base due to similar body-types, energy attacks and floatiness. She'd be a really unique character though, might be difficult.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
The PMBR's stated a couple of times that the 'M' doesn't actually stand for anything, and that they use 'Project Melee' for things like Facebook and Youtube because the name they wanted wasn't available.
So, they got stuck with the name?

I would have called it "Super Smash Bros: Champion Edition," or "SSB: Hyper."

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
So, they got stuck with the name?

I would have called it "Super Smash Bros: Champion Edition," or "SSB: Hyper."
but the name "Project: M" was made before their Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube were made so having Project M's Twitter be called "Turbo Super Smash Bros. Ultra Arcade Edition Delta EX+ The Director's Cut of Doom" may be a little weird to some people. Also, a name that basically means "Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Better Edition", can come off as ignorant and insulting to the original creators work.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
i see the Pichu wars are not going over well. . .
oh well Masked Man is still technically allowed right?
Yes, because he's amazing.

Also, speaking of clone slots, are we able to get the BrawlEX clone engine working with PM yet? I've heard some things but no clarification. Sort of tempted to see if that Waluigi PSA has been PMified and add that in myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom